• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Idol will end next year after 15 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/11/8584531/american-idol-ending-season-15

American Idol will finally come to a close next year at the conclusion of its 15th season. The music reality show was once a cultural phenomenon that was consistently the most-watched entertainment show on television in the US. That streak continued for a good nine years, according to the Associated Press, but over the last several years its popularity has dropped precipitously, falling from a series high of 30.8 million viewers per episode in 2006 to a viewership of around 6.5 million viewers, like it saw just one month ago. It's also no secret that the show's cultural power hasn't been quite the same for well over a decade — it's been a long time since Kelly Clarkson broke out during the show's first season, in 2002. The show's decline has been credited, in part, to competition from other music reality shows, like The Voice.

Fox says that American Idol's final run will be a "season-long celebratory event." Ryan Seacrest, the show's staple host, will return, as will Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick Jr., who were all judges last season — the original lineup of judges began exiting in its 2010 season. Fox intends for this last run to include tributes to the show's past 14 seasons, though it doesn't say exactly what that'll look like just yet. Perhaps it means that some of the Idols who haven't really been heard from since their season ended will get another chance to perform for a huge audience. It'd be a good chance for Fox to convince the millions of viewers who were once drawn to American Idol to return again, even if only for a few episodes. The season begins in January.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Do the winners even make it? As someone who hasn't watched the show since Taylor Hicks won, I can only name a handful of individuals who had a career post show.

Do the winners even make it? As someone who hasn't watched the show since Taylor Hicks won, I can only name a handful of individuals who had a career post show.

Pretty much the only two with a big career afterwards were Clarkson and Underwood. Fantasia Burress disappeared for a while but has come back with a couple strong albums but is mostly relegated to the R&B charts, Taylor Hicks has a decent career on broadway, and Jordin Sparks I think got into acting.

BFIB

Fox finally ends this shit and brings back X-Files.

Its like I'm in an alternate universe.

I only watched for the auditions. Seeing people cry after being insulted was good. Once auditions were over then the show sucked. Just like any other reality competition show.

I only watched for the auditions. Seeing people cry after being insulted was good. Once auditions were over then the show sucked. Just like any other reality competition show.

This too. The segments where they would sequester groups of people into a room and leave them to try and figure out if they were in the kept or kicked group was gold. Also, the elevator ride down on the final cuts was hilarious.

Yes, I agree, after the cuts, the show started sucking, week over week.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Like all reality shows, it started dying as soon as they switched from a mix of "real" people and industry plants, to ALL industry plants. It's kind of a joke. You basically see it right at the auditions with very rare exceptions.

Survivor got totally ruined by this as well. I think the low ebb for me was when Amazing Race had an actual fucking movie star in in. Ned Schneebly from School of Rock, and they tried to pass him off as "random gay fella."

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Should have ended when Simon left. I think the notable successes are Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, with Chris Daughtry being somewhat popular.

Mortemis

Banned
Last season I watched to the end was the one where Taylor Hicks won, after that I only watched auditions until a few years ago when I totally dropped it.

Most people knew this show couldn't last without the original judge crew, I think I dropped it when they all started leaving.

Should have ended when Simon left. I think the notable successes are Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, with Chris Daughtry being somewhat popular.
If I were to rank, I'd say:

1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Carrie Underwood
3. Jennifer Hudson
4. Chris Daughtry
5. Katharine McPhee (as an actress)

Phillip Phillips had a hit (that "Home" song was really popular for a minute) and Jordin Sparks had some success, too.

At least as far as post-show success goes, Idol >>>> The Voice. These past few years have been rather dire, however.

bengraven

Yeah, you know I'm torn on this.

For one thing, I don't watch it but it's extremely popular still and making money. They could just cut a bit of production value and keep it up and it's profit for the company.

Plus, it does give an audience to people trying to have their talents be heard.

Then again, as people have said, few even get success afterwards anyway and it's really insulting as a product.

Samara

About damn time.Was a mid teen when this started. Apart from a few superstars, this show was way too frequent to create a superstar.

Once Idol is done, I'm finished with singing shows. I've tried watching The Voice for two seasons and was completely put off. It's so much worse than peak Idol.

Problem is the "judges competing formula". It creates an environment where they aren't allowed to be critical, even in a constructive way. So even if a bad singer gets up there and literally takes a dump onstage, the judging will go like this:

Judge 1: You're such a star!
Judge 2 : I liked it more
Judge 1 : No I liked it more!
Judge 3 : Wish you are on my team!

Ugh, it makes the show unwatchable. Give me Simon Cowell over this "everyone gets a trophy, no matter how bad they suck" stuff.

Edit: Also, forget new singers. Next season needs to be American Idol All Stars. With Simon/Paula/Randy back for one more go. You know you'd watch that.

Once Idol is done, I'm finished with singing shows. I've tried watching The Voice for two seasons and was completely put off. It's so much worse than peak Idol.

Problem is the "judges competing formula". It creates an environment where they aren't allowed to be critical, even in a constructive way. So even if a bad singer gets up there and literally takes a dump onstage, the judging will go like this:

Ugh, it makes the show unwatchable. Give me Simon Cowell over this "everyone gets a trophy, no matter how bad they suck" stuff.

Edit: Also, forget new singers. Next season needs to be American Idol All Stars. With Simon/Paula/Randy back for one more go. You know you'd watch that.
You nailed it.
They can't criticize so it's very boring.

JCX

As one of the last Idol fans, I'm sad to see it go, but it's time. They were too late to embrace social media/youtube/itunes and had a strong of winners who went nowhere following Simon's departure.

They had a lot of successes though, far more than any other reality talent show:

Major Successes:

Kelly Clarkson
Carrie Underwood
DAUGHTRY
Jennifer Hudson (Oscar winner)
Katharine McPhee (Acting more than singing)

And then there are a bunch of Idols on Broadway (Fantasia, Ace, Diana, Constantine) and those who hd minor hits but are no longer huge (Clay, Ruben, Jordin, Mandisa)

edit: Completely forgot about Lambert. So many people came from the show.

The series really ended at this tribute by all the winners (sans Cook) in Simon's last season. Idol Winners: Together We Are One

Revolver

If I were to rank, I'd say:

1. Kelly Clarkson
2. Carrie Underwood
3. Jennifer Hudson
4. Chris Daughtry
5. Katharine McPhee (as an actress)

Phillip Phillips had a hit (that "Home" song was really popular for a minute) and Jordin Sparks had some success, too.

At least as far as post-show success goes, Idol >>>> The Voice. These past few years have been rather dire, however.

Shouldn't Adam Lambert fit in there somewhere? I'm not a fan, but he sure seems to have a loyal fanbase online anyhow.

BigDug13

Most of the contestants are ok but sometimes you get a breakout surprise. Like Jena Irene last year. She started to blow me away and her range is incredible. This season has been pretty disappointing really. No true knock me to the floor talents like that this year, not vocally.

Goldrush

There's also a good number of people that received airtime on Country radio.

I'm not sure about the last few seasons, but American Idol was a show that did launch careers. Shame that the Voice is not really suited to do the same. Everyone I know that watched it don't even know the names of the contestants. They only tracked them by their judges.

That's the only thing that would get me to come back. It's not like most former contestants are too busy either. They should totally do it.

None of you have mentioned Adam Lambert. I think he was the biggest vocal talent on the show. I think he's now the lead singer of Queen, so I guess he made it.

JCX

There's also a good number of people that received airtime on Country radio.

I'm not sure about the last few seasons, but American Idol was a show that did launch careers. Shame that the Voice is not really suited to do the same. Everyone I know that watched it don't even know the names of the contestants. They only tracked them by their judges.

That's why I don't watch The Voice. it's a very good TV show, but an awful platform for launching anything sustainable.

I am hyped for the 20 year anniversary revival season in 2021 though.

Oersted

How will normal everyday people get famous now? :(

220px-Justin_Bieber_NRJ_Music_Awards_2012.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
That's the only thing that would get me to come back. It's not like most former contestants are too busy either. They should totally do it.

None of you have mentioned Adam Lambert. I think he was the biggest vocal talent on the show. I think he's now the lead singer of Queen, so I guess he made it.

Yeah leaving out Lambert makes zero sense. Vocally I don't think anyone else on the show can touch him (technically). He has a fanbase that works against his chances for widespread popularity but his solo work has ranged from good to great and he has killed it in his collaboration with Queen which has met with overwhelming popular and critical success.

Oh, his new single is a great listen as well. If anything he is still ascending while the others on these lists are in their descent (not counting Underwood because country music is basically orthogonal to everything else).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom