• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Idol will end next year after 15 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I casually watched maybe three seasons of this show. The whole point was 1. Watch embarrassing auditions and 2. Watch Simon be an ass

Beyond that I never cared and even that got old. Show should have ended 10 years ago.

Azalean

Banned
Yeah, AI was on a downward spiral since Cowell left. It used to be the cream of the crop in the televisions world. I remember the year Rueben Studdard won, the next day at school kids were arguing whether Clay Aiken should have won over him. Now none of the winners seem to have any fruitful careers as opposed to the Kelly Clarkson's and Carrie Underwoods.

DeviantBoi

I watched them for a couple of seasons.

Then I stopped when it was obvious that Scott McCreery was gonna win his season.

Didn't care for country music, so I just gave up on the show.

Never watched it ever since.

The formula for these types of singing/talent shows have really started to get under my skin. I'm not singling out singing shows, because I'm also including other talent shows like America's Got Talent, So You think you can Dance, etc.

Here's the formula I'm talking about:

1. Performer is announced
2. 5 minute backstory on performer
3. performer walks on stage
4. commercial
5. pan to audience and judges while performer waits for music to be cued.
6. performer begins performance
7. pan to judges for first impression reaction
8. pan back to performer for a few seconds
9. jump cut to host back stage making a comment on the performance
10. show a couple more seconds of performer
11. pan to some audience reactions
12. show the last few seconds of the perfomer's song/routine
13. watch each judge spend a minute or two telling the performer how good/bad they were
14. commercial.

This formula is so old and annoying to me now. You only get to watch half of the performance because the other half of the time is used for reaction shots. I think Asian TV does it the right way, as they show a little box dedicated to reaction shots so the performances can be seen in their entirety.

xaosslug

has anyone checked on MIMIC?!

Dwr1aFE.gif

JCX

Anyone know what Fantasia Barrino's been up to? That's the last American Idol I've watched.

She was doing Broadway for a while in The Color Purple. I think she may have released an album within the past year. She's also had a bunch of problems in her personal life.

Catdaddy

It should have ended years ago, especially after Paula and Simon left. Watched all of the first few seasons then only watched the mass auditions for the bad ones.

JCX

Didn't Daughtry not even win? Funny how he's one of the most popular now.

Daughtry was lucky to be on the season with the highest ratings. His season also had the most successful cast. Mandisa, Kellie Pickler, Ace Young, Taylor Hicks, and Elliot Yamin all have had success on the charts or in acting.

Overall, it's always better to have won that to lose (Only 2 of 13 winners were outright sales duds). In fact, losing probably helped him keep some cred for a rock career.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Survivor got totally ruined by this as well. I think the low ebb for me was when Amazing Race had an actual fucking movie star in in. Ned Schneebly from School of Rock, and they tried to pass him off as "random gay fella."

What, I need links to this.

MIMIC

Banned
has anyone checked on MIMIC?!

Dwr1aFE.gif

Heh. I knew they'd cancel it either next season or the season after that. The show is almost pointless these days. The ratings stink and the talent pool has been mediocre for quite some time. And the show isn't even about the contestants anymore

Even though this is definitely the right time to pull the plug, it still sucks. It's quite literally and end of an era, considering the show's impact on the TV and music industry. I remember when networks would adjust their schedules just so they wouldn't be directly competing with Idol. And remember when every winner was pretty much guaranteed a No. 1 single? Not only that, even non-winners used to sell a boatload of albums/singles. But factors such as fatigue and dumb show ideas inevitably led to the show's decline, and it's just not as powerful as it once was.

But all good things must come to an end. And after 15 seasons, I think Idol held out longer than most would have figured.

The cheesiness killed it for me. I think the time I actually said to myself "this is stupid" was when Sam Wolfe got the judge's save last year and everybody ran out and hugged him while confetti was blowing everywhere. Then he lost.

I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. I must say that AI at least produce some music success stories in the states unlike the rest of the music competition shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I stopped watching after season 4, but this news still makes me sad. I used to be REALLY into American Idol. It was a huge part of my early teen years. This is the end of an era.

I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. I must say that AI at least produce some music success stories in the states unlike the rest of the music competition shows.

Yup. It is kind of pathetic how little of an impact contestants from The Voice and X Factor have had in America.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Really odd that people are acting like they were forced to watch it. Lots of shows on TV I don't watch but it isn't like the best day of my life when they are cancelled or anything.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Kelly Clarkson was the biggest thing to have come from American Idol. That in itself is pretty sad because she's not very popular anymore 😔

The formula for these types of singing/talent shows have really started to get under my skin. I'm not singling out singing shows, because I'm also including other talent shows like America's Got Talent, So You think you can Dance, etc..

this doesn't quite fit for So You think you can Dance, outside of the auditions you always get to see the full performances. they are also much lighter on the backstory drama. usually they show 30 seconds of them learning a dance and a quick goofy segment with the two partners.
results show are also not nearly as drawn out. sometimes the judges tell them right away whose out and then give some reasoning.

Kelly Clarkson was the biggest thing to have come from American Idol. That in itself is pretty sad because she's not very popular anymore ��

her newest album debuted at 1.
she just this year fulfilled her American Idol contract. interesting to see what she does next.

this doesn't quite fit for So You think you can Dance, outside of the auditions you always get to see the full performances. they are also much lighter on the backstory drama. usually they show 30 seconds of them learning a dance and a quick goofy segment with the two partners.
results show are also not nearly as drawn out. sometimes the judges tell them right away whose out and then give some reasoning.
So You Think You Can Dance is the only reality competition show that actually has any artistic merit. The judges can be annoying, and I'm apprehensive about newcomer Jason Derulo, but the dancers and routines are consistently amazing.

Its Emmy domination (for everything but world-class host Cat Deeley, which is still a horrific crime) hopefully keeps it away from the chopping block. If that show is ever canceled, I'm done with FOX forever.

Like all reality shows, it started dying as soon as they switched from a mix of "real" people and industry plants, to ALL industry plants. It's kind of a joke. You basically see it right at the auditions with very rare exceptions.

Ding ding.

I went to the Denver audition 4 (maybe 5) years ago and it was infuriating. They didn't even try to hide the agency people as they sat them in a different area than us commoners. The rationale behind it was given to everybody like the old "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

I'm not going to say I'm a great singer, but I'm a classically trained tenor who has plenty of actual performance experience. My audition was interrupted by a producer who basically said "you aren't right for this competition." I was singing John Legend for Pete's sake. They advanced this poor stage frightened guy who sang "My Girl" and dismissed the audition group. So many kids (and parents) were crying that it was pretty damn hilarious.

At least it got my family and friends to shut up.

JCX

What was the success rate with this thing?

If I were to categorize winners

Stars

Kelly (S1)
Carrie Underwood (S4)

Solid Success

Fantasia (S3)
Jordin Sparks (S6)
Scotty McCreery (S10)
Philip Phillips (S11)

Fading, but still active

Ruben (S2)
Taylor Hicks (S5)

Duds

David Cook (S7)
Kris Allen (S8)
Lee DeWyze (S9)
Candice Glover (S12)
Caleb Johnson (S13)

Skux

About 5 years overdue but they got there. The internet happened and Idol failed to keep up where The Voice and X Factor took advantage of it.

I was a huge fan through seasons 7-10. Highlights for me were David Cook & David Archuleta, and of course Adam Lambert. Gave up after a "White Guy with a Guitar" won for like the fourth or fifth time in a row.

Kirlia

Banned
He finished in 5th that season. Maybe 6th.

Fourth.

Man, I used to watch that show like crazy. I stopped paying attention around Season 11, and it only got worse from there. Technically, the show hit its zenith around Seasons 4 to 8 before massively fucking up with Season 9, but had a brief comeback with Seasons 10 and 11 before going on a permanent decline.

Although it was fun to watch at first, I can't say I'll miss it.

And they are?

Pretty much the post above you explains it all! But I liked Kris Allen because he was a major underdog (despite his "white dude with musical instrument" status)...he may be a technical dud, but I hope he's living a happy life anyhow.

MIMIC

Banned

Stars

Kelly (S1)
Carrie Underwood (S4)

Solid Success

Fantasia (S3)
Jordin Sparks (S6)
Scotty McCreery (S10)
Philip Phillips (S11)

Fading, but still active

Ruben (S2)
Taylor Hicks (S5)

Duds

David Cook (S7)
Kris Allen (S8)
Lee DeWyze (S9)
Candice Glover (S12)
Caleb Johnson (S13)

I think DeWyze, Caleb and (unfortunately) Candice share the crown has having not even achieved even a modicum of success. And DeWyze is probably the worst winner period.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Stars

Kelly (S1)
Carrie Underwood (S4)

Solid Success

Fantasia (S3)
Jordin Sparks (S6)
Scotty McCreery (S10)
Philip Phillips (S11)

Fading, but still active

Ruben (S2)
Taylor Hicks (S5)

Duds

David Cook (S7)
Kris Allen (S8)
Lee DeWyze (S9)
Candice Glover (S12)
Caleb Johnson (S13)

Daughtry, Lambert and Hudson have been more successful by most measures than anyone but the top 2. McPhee and even Pickler could be as well. Also, launched a ton of Broadway careers that have ended up with Tony awards, etc.

As talent competitions go, I don't think there are any that have had a greater cultural impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom