• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Idol X|V |OT| Please Be Excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Rayvon (1st song). This arrangement is really working for Rayvon. I could definitely do without the falsetto (which he manages to shoehorn into every performance -- it kinda ruins the vibe because it's so forced), but overall, that was pretty good. 7.4

Yes, Rayvon. You broke a record. lol

I'm surprised Adam didn't come back to perform his new song, "Ghost Town" (now available on iTunes).

Can't we just bring back Kelly as the guest singer each week? She freaking killed it a few weeks back.

Oh, someone help the poor sis Martina McBride.

Her pitch struggle is real.

Her diaphragm struggle is real.

Her terrible makeup job struggle is real.

Help ha.

EDIT: OMG not Harry and even JAY LOW not giving her a standing ovation

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

MIMIC

Banned
Clark (2nd song). I didn't get it. This was a real snoozer of a song choice (I don't know if this was the original or if this was a different arrangement). And the beginning was a little pitchy dawg....which is concerning because Clark, seemingly, has been having pitch issues all night. This was not a good night for Clark. Quintessential mediocrity. This song (and the performance) was just so amateurish. Kudos to Clark for sticking to his guns, but I would NOT have chosen this for him. 6.6

Yes, Clark. People DO love this type of music. But they're all in their 60s and 70s.

Jax (2nd song). Well, she definitely nailed the emotional aspect of the song. Vocally, it wasn't perfect but she was mesmerizing, nonetheless. 7.2

This performance is shady as hell.

They gave her extra reverb, made her background singers put in work, and (maybe I wasn't paying attention) seemed to go on longer than a typical Idol performance.

EDIT: LOL Steven Tyler already crowning Jax the winner XD

MIMIC

Banned
I might cry ;_;

Rayvon (2nd song). The moment when he was singing to his mom propelled this song to another level. The lyrics really took on new meaning; you could see it in his eyes. Rayvon delivered an extremely emotional, yet steady performance and injected just the right amount of emotion into it to really give the audience something to grab on to. It still had its wonky moments, but overall, it was great. 7.6

Nick (2nd song). I don't think this was as stellar as his first song. This one was consistent, in-key, and decently performance, but lacked a bit of the buzz and that we saw in the first one. 7.1

MIMIC

Banned
That one show is on

Rayvon (1st song). The falsetto was pretty painful. Not to mention that it was just too damn much of it. The song choice seemed alright, but I felt like Rayvon struggled to keep up with the melody. 6.5

Rayvon - "As"
I get to pissed off when Rayvon goes into random falsetto; it just snatches you out of the vibe. Anyway, everything up to that shriek was good. Like Keith said, it was pretty effortless. 7.1

Clark - "Beautiful Day"
The opening was nervy and awkward. It was almost like he was a little fearful singing it. And it didn't get much better; once the song got started, you could hear Clark struggling to hit some of those notes. I definitely don't think that this was a good pick for Clark; not something that I would have ever pictured him singing. 6.4

Clark - "(Sittin On) The Dock of the Bay"
Definitely more suited for Clark's style. This was a much more confident performance. 7.0

Nick - "Because the Night"
One of the better picks of the night. Definitely suited Nick's style and tone. And Nick managed to do a decent job with it; he looked and performed a lot more comfortably then the guys before him. 7.0

Nick - "Back Home"
Great song. Nick sounded really good on it. I think this is one of those performances where you get a glimpse of the contestant's star potential. Very, very good. 7.6

Jax - "My Generation"
OK performance, but I'm never a fan of these types of songs for Jax. They're a bit too manic for her and you never get to hear the fullness of her awesome tone. 6.9

Jax - "My Immortal"
When Jax is at the piano, you're pretty much guaranteed a poignant, chilling performance. But....something was definitely missing here. She didn't sound like she usually does for some reason. It's weird. The notes were all there, but she just didn't convey her typical uniqueness. 6.8

ELLIOTT!!

(edit: I won't be able to watch the last round tonight; will watch it later)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Goodnight, sweet prince.

JCX

Remember, part 1 of the finale is tonight at 8. All the potential winners' singles have previews on iTunes now too. While overall very derivative, they at least all sound like songs that could be on the radio.

JCX

That was very awkward.

Imagine an alternate reality where Lambert, Haley, Jena, and Jax won their seasons.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Both of the potential singles are terrible, as usual, but man, Clark's is a special kind of suck.

Wimpy White Dudes With Guitars Ruined American Idol

Aside from a bunch of J.Hud revisionist history (she was my favorite of the 3 divas and even I thought Fantasia and La Toya were better performers), pretty much agree with the article. Lambert losing to kris began a trend that hasn't ended - WGWG beats a better voice every single time.

they really need to get rid of instruments for the finale season and do all the singing without the aide of instruments. that and get rid of the current judges and bring back brian funkelman and get melinda on the panel

MIMIC

Banned
So Jax was eliminated? I definitely had her pegged for the finale, but Nick has been steadily picking up more votes each week so it isn't really all that surprising, IMO. He's definitely been the most consistent of all of the contestants.

So Jax was eliminated? I definitely had her pegged for the finale, but Nick has been steadily picking up more votes each week so it isn't really all that surprising, IMO. He's definitely been the most consistent of all of the contestants.

Nick has got this locked up. Compare his original winner's song to the ill-fitting pablum they gave Clark and you can see who Borchetta wants to win. You know, the more extroverted WGWG that they've been telling to "embrace his hotness".

Not being snarky here. One good thing about this season is how much they've showed of the behind-the-scenes process of turning talent into potential recording artists. IIRC, that expose started with Jimmy Iovine a few seasons back, but we didn't get all that much of it and it seemed very skewed toward particular contestants (poor Haley Reinhart!) This season, each week we've seen Borchetta and the judges trying to build up the talent. Harry, Keith, and Jennifer have mostly done a great job of praising the contestants when necessary while also giving constructive advice for the future.

It all points to a Nick win tonight. Borchetta gave essentially similar advice to Nick and Clark: engage the audience more and find a lane in today's music industry. Nick has embraced that directive while Clark has stubbornly doubled down on his mission to become Casey Abrams 2.0. For the record, I think Clark is the better singer/musician and he should win on merit (though JAX should have beaten both of them), but he made his choice and is about to lose the crown to Nick.

JCX

Nick has got this locked up. Compare his original winner's song to the ill-fitting pablum they gave Clark and you can see who Borchetta wants to win. You know, the more extroverted WGWG that they've been telling to "embrace his hotness".

Not being snarky here. One good thing about this season is how much they've showed of the behind-the-scenes process of turning talent into potential recording artists. IIRC, that expose started with Jimmy Iovine a few seasons back, but we didn't get all that much of it and it seemed very skewed toward particular contestants (poor Haley Reinhart!) This season, each week we've seen Borchetta and the judges trying to build up the talent. Harry, Keith, and Jennifer have mostly done a great job of praising the contestants when necessary while also giving constructive advice for the future.

It all points to a Nick win tonight. Borchetta gave essentially similar advice to Nick and Clark: engage the audience more and find a lane in today's music industry. Nick has embraced that directive while Clark has stubbornly doubled down on his mission to become Casey Abrams 2.0. For the record, I think Clark is the better singer/musician and he should win on merit (though JAX should have beaten both of them), but he made his choice and is about to lose the crown to Nick.

Really liked how Rockstar INXS and Supernova had an episode each week devoted to the process, gave the performances a lot more context. Idol could easily throw something similar on YouTube.

Borchetta said he plans to steer Nick toward country, so that is a thing.

Edit: just realized that Nick will be the first winner from the Northeast.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not really sure who's gonna win. Nick has the momentum, but Clark's been the perceived front-runner for much longer (at least, ahead of Nick). But if I had to go ahead and guess, I'd say Nick.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I went to high school with Nick. He's from my hometown. This is surreal that he's gotten this far. Hope he wins.

Edit: Yay

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Nick peaked at exactly the right time and stayed consistent while Clark had his ups and downs, but more importantly, Nick's style and song choices remained relevant while Clark's were a bit out of date. Clark is the better singer and musician, but struggled with stage presence and sometimes didn't quite attain the technical levels he strived for (in other words, he tried too hard). Like I said early on, this was Clark's competition to lose.

Mariah with the tea.

When asked about whether or not she would consider returning for next year's final season:

"Hell no! Absolutely not, that was the worst experience of my life,” she told Kyle & Jackie O. “I’m not going to get into what it was but let’s just say I don’t think they had any intention for us to have a good experience during that show.”

“Pinning two females against each other wasn’t cool,” Mimi said in reference to her perceived clash with fellow judge Nicki Minaj. “It should have been about the contestants and not about some non-existent feud that turned into even more ridiculousness. I would never want to be involved with it again but everybody else can like it!” But there’s more. “It’s so boring and so fake,” the serial chart-topper continued. “I’m sorry… when I say fake, I mean it’s like you have made up things to say.”
Looks like our conspiracy theories were justified.

#justiceforhaleyreinhart

JCX

I mean the jig was up when Paula read her comments for someone before their second song. I know she could have watched dress, but that's still suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom