• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American liberals are still not voting (Full Frontal w/Sam Bee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Gee I wonder why America doesn't make it easy for people to vote...

5Tkd6Z4.jpg

Do you think votes were completely irrelevant?

I can see that I'm not going to get a straight answer to my question.

Go out there and vote friendo. Vote for whoever you like. Whoever's on the ballot is already approved by the 1% unless an incredible amount of organized, grassroots effort was made to impose someone unapproved by the 1%. That's the work I think is way more important than voting.

I was guilty of this earlier this month. I actively followed the presidential debates and voted early for the presidency, but I was lacking when it came to following the local elections here (I live in Pasadena, CA). Before that Tuesday I made a note to vote after I got off work, but because it wasn't as forefront in my head I totally slipped on actually doing so after work.

There's no real excuse for it. And while I knew it was important it just didn't dominate the here and now for me as much as the presidential election did or the midterms will. I'll have to be better about that the next time around.

Altadena here...hi neighbor!

Putting aside the absurdities of having a vote so soon after the big 2016 November election, there wasn't anything on the ballot that I felt particularly strong about. There were some interesting measures in the city of Los Angeles but since I live in loss Angeles County, there wasn't much to hold my attention. I just didn't give a fuck.

There are some self-proclaimed liberals who won't vote unless they feel the knife at their necks personally. They're more dangerous than people who are simply misinformed.

I voted. Didn't like my choices but I still voted.

I think one thing that might help young people vote is letting people vote at any booth. This would allow groups of friends to go to the same station and make it into a social event/outting. Young people hate being bored. Young people love hanging out together.

Figure out the logistics. Make it happen. Change rules if need be.

Right now voting currently requires standing in lines for an hour by yourself not doing anything. Who wants to do that besides bored retired people?

Edit: and make it a national holiday so they're not to busy working.

Didn't you vote for Trump?

This is talking about liberals

Fuchsdh

Theory: They're not really liberals. They're progressives and social democrats with no political representation in the US.

Democrats offer nothing to these people and get no votes.

Editor's note: GAF needs to learn what liberalism actually is.

This is dumb as shit, then. You don't magically wish your progressive candidate into existence if you can't be arsed to vote for anyone even in their ballpark. The only way the U.S. moves in a steady and sustained leftward direction is if you swallow your fucked-up sense of pride and vote for the more liberal voices.

Illucio

Banned
1. They feel each side of the spectrum are equally bad and feel like the act of voting means nothing.

2. Depending on where they live, Jury duty is sometimes determined by whether you registered to vote or not.

3. The people they want in office didn't make it to the ballot so there is no point to vote.

I mean I can keep coming up with reasons.

I look at this picture and I think, wow voting was so important to them that they were determined to exercise their right to vote no matter what obstacles were placed in their way.

Now contrast that with 2017 where you damn near need to bribe young people to even think about voting. We just have to face the facts that voting just isn't important to a large segment of the population. Protesting and posting on social media is cool, researching when you need to vote and where isn't.

Marquis

Banned
Democrats have no care to appeal to either African Americans or Latinos, their votes are already a lock and the Democrats know that.

royalan

Democrats have no care to appeal to either African Americans or Latinos, their votes are already a lock and the Democrats know that.

As an African American who worked with the Clinton campaign and other Democrats in one of the blackest cities in the country, this is a flat out lie.

Marquis

Banned
As an African American who worked with the Clinton campaign and other Democrats in one of the blackest cities in the country, this is a flat out lie.

What have you seen? In my opinion, they see us as guaranteed Democratic voters and that allows them to focus less on our needs. I could be wrong however.

royalan

What have you seen? In my opinion, they see us as guaranteed Democratic voters and that allows them to focus less on our needs. I could be wrong however.

African Americans (black women in particular occupy every level of leadership within the DNC.

In the lead-up to the campaign, Hillary Clinton's first stops were to HBCUs, to speak to black sororities about the rise of black

Hillary Clinton is the only candidate to visit Flint multiple times before the general election campaign. She's also the only candidate to exclusively talk about issues facing black communities, including positive issues like jobs and the growing of wealth, and not just how many of us get shot.

I won't argue the Democratic party is perfect. But it isn't accurate to say that this party does not care about black people. Black people help make this party.

I thought we knew Bee was garbage since she wanted protestors to shake hands with cops.

Theory: They're not really liberals. They're progressives and social democrats with no political representation in the US.

This.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

After all of the failed "progressive" candidates in the last election, i'd love to see at least one success story for this theory I see everywhere.

So far it's all feelings with no facts or data behind it.

Rourkey

Marches aren't an indication of public support, the left always fail to understand this, having a 20k march means nothing it's hardly anyone in the grand scheme of things.

Conservatives simply look up from the papers and think oh it's the usually suspects marching on the Tv again don't they have proper jobs?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
There should be a massive campaign across this country to get people registered. RockTheVote still exists but was way more effective when MTV was relevant. No one has really filled that gap..

Chumly

I think part of the problem is we need to educate how dumb people like this are.

Amir0x

Banned
I see a lot of people in this thread talking about how important voting is or isn’t. I wish people had a better grasp of the big picture, because there's a few things to understand:

First off, if you have the opportunity to vote but choose not to vote because you don’t feel represented on the ballot, then you are only making it worse for yourself. The reason the GOP started treating the Tea Party seriously was because those Tea Party types were constantly showing up to vote. By choosing not to vote, you are telling your government that they don’t need to listen to you because you will have no influence on whether or not they keep their seats.

Second, voting is VERY important, but it is only the BARE MINIMUM of political participation. You always hear the typical “I’m just one vote, so it won’t make a difference”. Well yeah it IS only one vote if all you are doing is just voting. But if you are actively pushing your friends and family to vote the same as you that suddenly now 5-10 votes you are changing. Think of how this can grow exponentially. And if you go actually volunteer or work for a political campaign, you can potentially influence triple digit numbers of votes.

To add to the second point, it’s also good to actually go work or volunteer for a campaign because talking about politics on the internet, while fun, doesn’t teach you about the different kinds of voters the way that actual campaigning does.

Finally, your attitude and appetite for politics needs to be constant in both the good times and the bad times. Did the GOP just give up when they lost catastrophically in 2006 and 2008? No they kept fighting the democrats every step of the way and kept telling their base to vote in every election, and as a result they took Ted Kennedy’s MA seat and then made huge gains in the 2010 midterms. If you want to win big the way the GOP does, you need to emulate their passion for politics 24/7.

The choice isn't between Trump or Clinton. The choice is between building a mass social movement to make demands, or not getting anything.

Do you think the congress would have ever passed the civil rights without the civil rights movement?

Nicholas Bryant, a leading civil rights historian, said in his book:

“It was the black-on-white violence of May 11 – not the publication of the startling photograph a week earlier – that represented the real watershed in Kennedy’s thinking, and the turning point in administration policy. Kennedy had grown used to segregationist attacks against civil rights protesters. But he – along with his brother and other administration officials – was far more troubled by black mobs running amok.”​

There’s no reason to take Bryant’s word for it though, declassified tapes show that the Birmingham riot was the reason for Civil Rights Act. Robert Kennedy said

“The Negro Reverend Walker…he said that the Negroes, when dark comes tonight, they’re going to start going after the policemen – headhunting – trying to shoot to kill policemen. He says it’s completely out of hand….you could trigger off a good deal of violence around the country now, with Negroes saying they’ve been abused for all these years and they’re going to follow the ideas of the Black Muslims now…If they feel on the other hand that the federal government is their friend, that it’s intervening for them, that it’s going to work for them, then it will head some of that off. I think that’s the strongest argument for doing something…”​

President Kennedy replied

“First we have to have law and order, so the Negro’s not running all over the city… If the [local Birmingham desegregation] agreement blows up, the other remedy we have under that condition is to send legislation [The Civil Rights Act] up to congress this week as our response…As a means of providing relief we have to have legislation.”​

http://theantimedia.org/is-nonviolent-revolution-a-possibility/

benjipwns

Banned
There should be a massive campaign across this country to get people registered.
Over 90% of those eligible are registered to vote.

60% or less of those registered vote for President and most of those people are racking up totals in decided states. It decreases significantly down ballot and even more in "mid-term" elections. And in primaries can regularly fall under 10%.

For the most part liberals are well off and comfortable. Even though they perceive what's happening to the less fortunate and subjugated as horrific, at the end of the day it doesn't particularly affect them so they are less likely to vote. Even though Trump won, the vast majority of liberals probably won't have their lives impacted at all. They are educated, have well paying jobs, and can manage their finances.

Marches aren't an indication of public support, the left always fail to understand this, having a 20k march means nothing it's hardly anyone in the grand scheme of things.

Conservatives simply look up from the papers and think oh it's the usually suspects marching on the Tv again don't they have proper jobs?

During the DNC chair race, a lot of people in the DNC were making that exact point. Howard Dean caught some crap because he made a remark about how the democrats can't assume that the people out marching are gonna vote democrat.

During the DNC chair race, a lot of people in the DNC were making that exact point. Howard Dean caught some crap because he made a remark about how the democrats can't assume that the people out marching are gonna vote democrat.

I remember one example of this topic that occurred during this very election. Wasn't it Lena Dunham, one of the bigger liberal Actors/Writers that it turned out wasn't even registered to vote, even though she kept going out telling other people they needed to vote for Hillary?

The system is rigged against people who work or go to school anyway, in the US anyway. From my understanding voting days are like days off on in other countries. You should vote even if it's hard.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The system is rigged against people who work or go to school anyway, in the US anyway. From my understanding voting days are like days off on in other countries. You should vote even if it's hard.

Many states have absentee voting for any reason.

llhgK5Z.png

In FL I could even signup online.

Marquis

Banned

Voter ID laws mainly. It's just crazy that the US still hide behind this false idea of "voter fraud" when in reality its just to stop people of color from voting. And if it doesn't stop them then it at least creates a noticeable frustration.

combine42

Neo Member
Voter ID laws are specifically designed to limit the minority vote.
Yes but how? Don't you just need ID to vote? I'm from Michigan so a highschool ID even works. I don't know the state by state basis

Voter ID laws mainly. It's just crazy that the US still hide behind this false idea of "voter fraud" when in reality its just to stop people of color from voting. And if it doesn't stop them then it at least creates a noticeable frustration.

Literal hoops are placed in front of the voting booth. It's part of the physical challenge round.

The main thing is that you want all the pieces of the pendant of life so the temple guards aren't an issue.
those temple guards though. I'd shit my pants if one of those popped out of the fog and grabbed me

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, Michigan is a bit different experience because it's one of the least stringent laws in what's allowed AND acquiring a valid ID is a very low bar to where individual SoS employees can basically waive the $10 fee for a state ID by themselves. (About 15 years ago or so you needed three valid photo ID's plus a birth certificate to acquire a state ID lol)

Michigan also has the highest rate by far of any state in the motor voter registration rate.

And like I said, even the absentee thing isn't really enforced like it could be.

I want to say Michigan has always been a high turnout state though but I don't remember for sure.

I had no idea there were any kind of elections in March anywhere in the country.

Maybe find a way to let people know when all these elections are?

I'm in NC so it's customary to keep us in the dark, but I'm curious if the other recent local elections were in any way advertised. Talking about it after the fact is pointless.

combine42

Neo Member
Yeah, Michigan is a bit different experience because it's one of the least stringent laws in what's allowed AND acquiring a valid ID is a very low bar to where individual SoS employees can basically waive the $10 fee for a state ID by themselves. (About 15 years ago or so you needed three valid photo ID's plus a birth certificate to acquire a state ID lol)

Michigan also has the highest rate by far of any state in the motor voter registration rate.

And like I said, even the absentee thing isn't really enforced like it could be.

I want to say Michigan has always been a high turnout state though but I don't remember for sure.

Oh gotcha thanks for the info. I've always been able to vote with my drivers license, which is what I figured everyone voted with because it was so easy. Which makes sense because it's the motor city lol

So how does using this voter ID make it a problem for minorities?

Neo C.

Voting per mail should be standard. I only voted once by going to the booth. Come on, America, it's not that hard to go with the time and make voting per mail or online available.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The anti-progressive ballot initiative got defeated; the progressive ballot initiative got approved; the more progressive of the two marijuana measures got approved. The mostly progressive city council and mayor got re-elected in landslides. Yeah, sounds like Liberals let us down!!! And in the city that gave Clinton literally 100% of her massive popular vote win too, if LA liberals won't vote for Puppy Catcher and Assistant Mosquito and Sewage Guy, how can we know that they'll show up to vote for the big ticket elections?!?!?!

Performatively voting in municipal elections in California is not something that will flip Ohio or West Virginia, and there is essentially no reason to believe that there's a connection between low turnout here and low engagement elsewhere in real elections. Never even mind that the people protesting and marching are the 10-12% voting in this election -- this is absolutely a case of preaching to the choir.

This is a totally unproductive look that ignores the cultural, economic, and institutional factors that drive vote patterns.

Just because someone has good politics doesn't mean they're right every time they whip you into an anxiety coma while yelling about how the world is gone to hell.

But this would mean foregoing an opportunity would complain about Millennials! Say it isn't so!

Scarecrow

Voter ID laws are specifically designed to limit the minority vote.

Why aren't people helping others prep for 2018? Feels like no one wants to put in the work to help get around these roadblocks, then complain about them after the damage is done.

Ya I didn't know it was an issue. What inhibits minorities from voting?

VOTER ID LAWS ARE DISCRIMINATORY

• Minority voters disproportionately lack ID. Nationally, up to 25% of African-American citizens of voting age lack government-issued photo ID, compared to only 8% of whites.6
  • States exclude forms of ID in a discriminatory manner. Texas allows concealed weapons permits for voting, but does not accept student ID cards. Until its voter ID law was struck down, North Carolina prohibited public assistance IDs and state employee ID cards, which are disproportionately held by Black voters. And until recently, Wisconsin permitted active duty military ID cards, but prohibited Veterans Affairs ID cards for voting.
  • Voter ID laws are enforced in a discriminatory manner. A Caltech/MIT study found that minority voters are more frequently questioned about ID than are white voters.7
  • Voter ID laws reduce turnout among minority voters. Several studies, including a 2014 GAO study, have found that photo ID laws have a particularly depressive effect on turnout among racial minorities and other vulnerable groups, worsening the participation gap between voters of color and whites.8

This all came from the ACLU's fact sheet on the subject. It has a lot of good and easy to digest info (with sources), so I'd recommend people checking out the link itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom