• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

My notable pick's:

San Jose Earthquakes
Quintero, Alberto

And that's it. lol.
Ha ha, exactly. Quakes are trying to re-sign Quintero on loan, and they're working under the assumption that no one else is going to take a flier on him because the loan deal will be complicated to sort out. We'll see. Otherwise, not much of interest on that list, and I hope no one live tweets all the teams passing one by one.

- SI: MLS sets timetable for expansion to 28 teams, $150M fee for teams No. 25, 26
Major League Soccer intends to identify its next two expansion teams during the second or third quarter of 2017, and those clubs will begin playing by 2020, the league announced Thursday afternoon. It then intends to begin crafting a timeline for the selection and entry of teams No. 27 and 28.

While Los Angeles FC prepares to take the field in 2018 and David Beckham’s Miami team, supposedly team No. 24, continues to try and simply find one, the MLS board of governors met Thursday morning in New York City to draft the road map to 28 clubs. The first significant milestone is January 31, when prospective expansion team owners must submit a formal application to the league.

The short time frame between Thursday’s meeting, the application due date and next year’s announcement suggests that Sacramento and St. Louis likely will be teams No. 25 and 26. Those cities appear to be further ahead than the competition, with investor groups finalized and stadium plans in motion.

EDIT:
ESPN said:
At this time, ownership groups from 10 markets have expressed interest in acquiring an MLS expansion franchise. They are: Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Cystm

Would love to see STL with an MLS team. I hate St. Louis as a Chicago sports fan on principle, but they deserve a club, and I would dig having that derby added into the mix.

Those other cities tho?

tGZRCBAPhCXxm.gif

Cincy at the top of the others, but Ohio is dead to me more now than ever, so that's not really saying much for them.

Also: Matty Miazga scored for Vitisse yesterday. Little half-volley. Not the best strike, but good to see him on the radar again in what feels like ages.

San Diego should have got the LAFC spot.

This.

San Diego has a very big youth market and it's right by the Mexican border which expands the market even further. As it is, a lot of San Diegans have adopted Xolos as their team. LA doesn't have a good track record of supporting two franchises in the same sport. So I don't know why they gave LAFC the spot right after Chivas USA crashed and burned spectacularly.

Hey Cornballer, what do you think of Quincy Amerika?

RR30

I'd LOVE for Cincinnati to be selected. FC Cincinnati had a fantastic first year and there is a lot of support here. However there is no real stadium. Nippert is meh at best and I don't see someone spending 100m for a football only stadium downtown.

zroid

Banned
I'm listening to an interview with Clint Irwin, he's discussing the expansion draft and the ebb and flow of his Twitter mentions between being selected by Atlanta and then traded back to Toronto within a couple hours. Funny stuff. :lol

Hey Cornballer, what do you think of Quincy Amerika?
He works hard and strangely plays as a target man at his height, but his scoring is really inconsistent. He'll occasionally score a jaw-dropping goal, but then he'll not score again for many games. I wouldn't want him as anything more than a bench option in some situations. Can't fault his work ethic. I think he's going to have a tough time coming back from his injury, but hopefully he does.

Blue Lou

The new format for the CONCACAF Champions League is an 8 round knockout cup with each round being played across two legs. It's to be branded as two different competitions, the first four rounds take place in Autumn, the latter four in the Spring.

USSF and FMF teams will receive a bye to the fifth round.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The new format for the CONCACAF Champions League is an 8 round knockout cup with each round being played across two legs. It's to be branded as two different competitions, the first four rounds take place in Autumn, the latter four in the Spring.

USSF and FMF teams will receive a bye to the fifth round.

Depending on the timing of those spring rounds we might actually have a chance of winning this thing for once. When is the new format being instituted?

So then TFC won't join until early 2018? That kind of sucks. Considering they're throwing in Champions League tickets with 2017 season tickets, I'm curious what, if anything, they do about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So then TFC won't join until early 2018? That kind of sucks. Considering they're throwing in Champions League tickets with 2017 season tickets, I'm curious what, if anything, they do about it.

Well, CONCACAF still hasn't formally announced the new structure from what I can tell. So honestly, who knows?

A few tidbits from Bruce Arena's facebook Q&A today:
Bruce Arena says Dax McCarty, Chris Pontius, Matt Hedges and Walker Zimmerman will be among the invitees for January camp. #usmnt

Arena says Fabian Johnson will play either as a left back or a left midfielder for the #usmnt.

Arena: “We’re also going to bring Kekuta Manneh into January camp.”
The Gambia-born forward plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps.

DaMarcus Beasley will also be called in for January. Arena notes depth issues at left back, says Beasley still an option. #usmnt

I'm listening to an interview with Clint Irwin, he's discussing the expansion draft and the ebb and flow of his Twitter mentions between being selected by Atlanta and then traded back to Toronto within a couple hours. Funny stuff. :lol

Where is this? I want to hear it lol

Dartastic

Good for Manneh! Glad to see living in the USA is working out for him. Isn't he like, living barely in the USA and commuting to Vancouver to get citizenship or something?

Also, looks like the Timbers signed David Guzman from Saprissa. Kewl.

Cystm

Bruce Arena's message to USMNT supporters.

This first minute or so is him saying "let's do well blah, blah, blah."

But the Q&A is where it gets interesting @2:15

"Which MLS players are on your radar for the january camp?"

"If I can give you a little bit of insight.. A couple of the players that haven't been around for a bit will be back in camp.. An example would be Benny FILEhaber (lol), Swags, Zardes, Nagbe, Jmo, Chris Pontious, DAX THE SEX GOD MCCARTY, Uhh... Rosenberry (He starts running out of gas) Hedges, and Zimmerman, and so on and so forth."

Dax, 'Stacha, Feilhaber, Nagbe.

5worBwU.png

Mother fuckers would be so hungry they'd eat Serbia alive.

EDIT: JeanClaudMan, damn. Missed Cornballer's post. Got too excited haha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like, there's a crazy strong 5-man midfield to be built here.

Pulisic - Sacha - Nagbe
-------Dax------Bradley----

At that point we just gotta figure out if we can actually play a single forward.

Changed my section today for next year's season tickets. Went from Sec 210, row 12 to Sec 225, row 11. From what I recall, that side of the stadium is lower than the newer side, and I'm excited to not have sun in my eyes anymore.

I'm adding in my sister to my season tickets, so I'm going up to 3 seats, and Toronto is expensive, man. It really limits my options when I don't want to spend $900 per seat.

Short bus ride away from the Clink, but had to give up my season tickets last year due to having children and prices and what not. Then they won the cup, so I guess I was bad luck.

Not really, saw them win the Shield and a couple Open Cups while holding season tickets

Oozer3993

The USMNT will be playing in the Gold Cup in Cleveland next year. With some luck, my C-Town high school bros Nagbe and Morrow will be on the squad.

Cystm

Chicago Fire sign Hungarian striker Nemanja Nikolic as a Designated Player

Nikolic, who will turn 29 on Dec. 31, joins the Fire after a hugely successful year and a half with Legia Warsaw. Nikolic scored 41 goals in 58 league matches with Warsaw, helping the club to the 2015-16 Polish top flight title and winning the league’s golden boot and player of the year honors.

He featured regularly for the club in European competition, recording a pair of goals in 10 UEFA Europa League appearances last season and scoring six times in 11 Champions League contests this year. His final Champions League goal came just last month, when he scored in Warsaw’s 8-4 defeat to German giants Borussia Dortmund.

In total, Nikolic recorded 55 goals and 11 assists in 86 matches across all competitions since moving to Warsaw in June 2015.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Damn our schedule to start the year is rough.

3/2 at Vancouver (CCL)
3/5 at Atlanta (An extra fuck you to MLS for pitting us against the guys with the Metrostars jerseys.)
3/11 v Colorado
3/19 at Seattle

- ESPNFC: Bayern Munich's U.S. international Julian Green to sign for Stuttgart
"I gained a lot of experience in the past three years. That was good, and I am thankful for it. I took my time and tried everything.

"But that's over and done with now I have decided to join Stuttgart."

With his new club currently third in the second tier, Green has a good chance of returning to the top flight next season.

"I watched all their matches in the last few months, and I think that Stuttgart's the right place for me," he said.

"I am looking forward to this new task and challenge."

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told his club's official website: "Julian wants to gain new experience with a club where he becomes a regular.

"I wish Julian all the best for his future. He was always an industrious, reliable and very friendly player for FC Bayern."

Chicago still interested in Guardado, but apparently he's asking for something in the $7 million/year range.

Not sure it'll get done at that price.

9paXTlh.gif

- Galarcep: Chinese Super League hijacks Atlanta United target
Atlanta United's $8.5 million transfer bid for Paraguayan striker Oscar Romero is dead, with sources confirming to Goal USA that Romero has passed on an MLS move in favor of a more lucrative transfer to Chinese club Shanghai SIPG. Atlanta's bid was a sizable one by MLS standards, but Shanghai SIPG dwarfed Atlanta's bid with a $14.5 sale price combined with a player salary component equivalent to three times what Atlanta was going to pay the 24-year-old striker.
I didn't know this one fell through. That's a bummer.

Top Bottom