• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

- Refereeing points of emphasis for 2017 season
A full rundown of the IFAB rule changes can be found here. Details on the new points of emphasis are below:

Holding and pushing in the penalty area

Walton said that MLS referees will be paying closer attention to holding and pushing in the penalty area on set pieces, and that they’ve been instructed to detect and punish offenders that are “clearly impeding the opponent” without making an effort at playing the ball.

“Bracketing or jockeying players is all part of the game and is an accepted part of the game, as far as I’m concerned," Walton said. "But the overt pulling and pushing that happens where the defender or the attacker just doesn’t have their eyes on the ball and is clearly impeding the opponent, those are the sorts of ones that we want detected and indeed punished."

Acts of visual dissent

MLS officials will be cracking down on what Walton called “acts of visual dissent” in 2017. According to Walton, referees “won’t condone” players or coaches who react to calls with “arms thrown in the air” or by racing “after an official to berate them.” Dissent can be punished by a yellow card caution.

Delayed restarts

Walton said that MLS officials will have less patience this year for players who kick a ball away or stand over a free kick to make sure that it can’t be taken quickly. He said that he’ll look for officials to be aware of teams or players who deliberately try to delay an opponent on a restart, and to caution blatant offenders with a yellow card.

“A lot of teams in Major League Soccer now play good pass and movement games, possession games and as part of that tactic they’d like to see the ball being put back into play quickly. And that’s something again that opponents are picking up on that and denying them that opportunity,” he said. “What’s required from our referees is that they must be aware of when players are trying to deliberately delay restarting the game and punish accordingly.”

Persistent infringement

The fourth and final point of emphasis for MLS officials in 2017 is on persistent infringement. Walton wants referees to be cognizant of the “small, petty fouls that don’t rise to a yellow card nature in isolation, but break the rhythm of the game and upset opponents.” He said that all four officials will be “charged to detect areas of persistent infringement,” but wouldn’t put a number of how many fouls would merit a yellow card, instead relying on officials to manage their individual games appropriately.
Good to see persistent infringement on there. Hopefully they actually enforce these.

Icolin

Banned
Whitecaps aquire 75k of General Allocation Money from Montreal in exchange for an international roster spot.

Atiba incoming?
khaled-think.png

Opening weekend schedule

Friday

Minnesota United at Portland Timbers, 9:30 (FS1)

Saturday
Chicago Fire at Columbus Crew, 2
FC Dallas at Los Angeles Galaxy, 4 (Univision)
Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake, 4:30
New England Revolution at Colorado Rapids, 6
Sporting Kansas City at D.C. United, 7
Seattle Sounders at Houston Dynamo, 8:30
Montreal Impact at San Jose Earthquakes, 10

Sunday
New York City FC at Orlando City, 5 (ESPN)
New York Red Bulls at Atlanta United, 7:30 (FS1)
Philadelphia Union at Vancouver Whitecaps, 9:30

Cystm

I've got a post that I am putting together to share with you guys. I spoke to Cornballer briefly about this, but...

The gist of it is, I'll be working for MLS tonight covering the game. How I got there and why is in part do to you all in this thread. No joke. Like, it's crazy and I want to share that story with you when I have more time.

If you see some media content on social/youtube chances are I had a hand in it. Hope I do your clubs justice.

- FiveThirtyEight is now doing soccer odds based on SPI.

Yuck @ the Quakes offense rating

I've got a post that I am putting together to share with you guys. I spoke to Cornballer briefly about this, but...

The gist of it is, I'll be working for MLS tonight covering the game. How I got there and why is in part do to you all in this thread. No joke. Like, it's crazy and I want to share that story with you when I have more time.

If you see some media content on social/youtube chances are I had a hand in it. Hope I do your clubs justice.
Looking forward to seeing what you have cooked up. :)

Guys I'm just a nervous wreck. Hope the Loons represent well tonight. It's going to be a hard season with some trying games no doubt I just want to be competitive tonight on probably the biggest stage we get all year.

Congrats!

Cystm

Top quality bantz from the Timbers Army. That Match tifo is amazing. DV8 with that opening day assist. Goal next, pls.

Top Bottom