• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

SRUET1G.jpg

Quakes with another second half meltdown on the road. No bueno. Next weeks game against Seattle is suddenly even more important to get things back on track.

Cystm

Heath Pearce on FBLive matches is actually really cool. I like them interacting with fans on Facebook.

Much better than the normal commentators for Univision anyway.

Cystm

If you are watching DCvPHI on MLS Live or CSN, they (CSN) are having audio difficulties and are trying to fix it.

So far, they have resorted to looping the same 15 seconds of crowd noise and it is fucking unbearable.

ZZMitch

If you are watching DCvPHI on MLS Live or CSN, they (CSN) are having audio difficulties and are trying to fix it.

So far, they have resorted to looping the same 15 seconds of crowd noise and it is fucking unbearable.

I didn't notice that until this post... Cannot unhear

Icolin

Banned

Congrats man! Great editing in the video by the way.

On another note, almost everything's working out in the Whitecaps' favour; New England beat Minnesota last week, NYRB tied RSL last week, Columbus beat Portland last week, Atlanta tied Seattle yesterday, NYCFC beat San Jose today, Minnesota is tied with RSL right now (Minnesota is tied on 1 point with us, and RSL is ahead by 1, so a tie is ideal), as are NYRB and Houston. None of the western conference have won last week or this week.

Of course, none of this matters if the Whitecaps shit the bed against LA, which is very plausible.

Decent half for the LA Galaxy. They are still not playing that well. I need to see the replay again to see if it was penalty. It was definitely close.
+ Great couple of strikes by Alessandrini
+ Good effort and energy
- The counter attack is just killing the LA Galaxy every time
- Gio needs to get involved more
- Disorganized in the midfield
- Diop coming out every chance he gets

Cystm

Yesterday was the worst day for keepers across the league I have ever seen. Even the usually solid/great keepers were out there fucking up.

It was really bad. Nearly every game.

Icolin

Banned
Yep. And that tackle from behind on Valeri, and that wasn't even a foul? Jesus.

Yet Kouassi gets the yellow for a way less dangerous tackle later, seemingly just as a make up call for not calling what he did to Valeri earlier.

And then there's this.

As a guy who used to ref soccer as a teenager, mainly for some extra dough on the side, I understand that it's difficult to call things that happen in the blink of an eye, but you have 2 linesman to work with and consult, which RARELY happens.

And also there's the fact that the refs were all in a clear position to see the New England fouls, and especially that Van Damme tackle on Davies yesterday (which is about as textbook a penalty can get).

Minnesota United clearly isn't ready for prime-time.

I wonder if Minnesota United will give the league pause on the continued rapid expansion (unlikely). But you simply can't have teams like MU in the MLS. In other leagues around the world, embarrassing teams like this would get relegated after a single season. But thought of having a near division 3 level team in the MLS week after week for 2-3 years is not going to help the league gain credibility.

I hope at the very least instead of taking any team that will pay the franchise fee, they'll make sure the team actually has some infrastructure in place to be competitive.

I think they're going about it right with the 2020 newcomers, announcing them this summer. Minnesota's problem was the time frame they had from announcement to game time was terribly short, especially compared to Atlanta.

They also built the club largely from the expansion draft, with zero DPs, which is the opposite of Atlanta.

We also might be a little spoiled on expansion clubs, they've been starting better than many have in the past. It's about time one starts looking like a first year club.

Meier

Minnesota United clearly isn't ready for prime-time.

I wonder if Minnesota United will give the league pause on the continued rapid expansion (unlikely). But you simply can't have teams like MU in the MLS. In other leagues around the world, embarrassing teams like this would get relegated after a single season. But thought of having a near division 3 level team in the MLS week after week for 2-3 years is not going to help the league gain credibility.

I hope at the very least instead of taking any team that will pay the franchise fee, they'll make sure the team actually has some infrastructure in place to be competitive.
I saw they were up 4-2 and this post made me think RSL had come back to win 5-4 or something. I agree that their squad is so much weaker than Atlanta who have frankly done an unimaginably good job at putting theirs together (talent wise, I think they're arguably in the top handful of teams in the league already especially when Guzan joins) and they won't compete any time soon, but that isn't uncommon. They'll work out the kinks.

That's PRO referees for you.

Something like this isn't a penalty, apparently. (same play in GIF form)

And then there's the studs up challenges that New England were doing the whole game today that went largely unpunished.

Pretty shocked that that German dude from Atlanta didn't get a straight red for his really nasty tackle on Roldan Friday night. Thought I watched another Sounders player get their leg broken, was really glad when he shook it off.

Top Bottom