• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Mory Dunz

NoRéN;239711743 said:
Hell yeah.

Leave it to the Hispanic kid to shine for the United States.

USMNT needs more players in liga MX.

omar gonzales, jose torres, edgar castillo, herculez gomez, greg garza, bornstein, etc all got a lot of chances...

NoRéN

omar gonzales, jose torres, edgar castillo, herculez gomez, greg garza, bornstein, etc all got a lot of chances...
You got a time machine? I mean...and? Currently, to help this particular national team. Coming back to MLS isn't doing much for some of these guys.

Edit: finally a goal.

Mory Dunz

NoRéN;239714067 said:
You got a time machine? I mean...and? Currently, to help this particular national team. Coming back to MLS isn't doing much for some of these guys.

Edit: finally a goal.

my point was there have been players from Liga MX on the team. And they haven't been great. But it's not like the league has been ignored or anything.

nice goal.
Was T&T actually offside?

Mory Dunz

The GK didn't foul Altidore...?
When they went to ground his feet tangled with Altidore imo.

also, sheesh altidore, you just have to hit the ball away from the GK anywhere and you get a pen. Instead you hit it right at him.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Holy shit Carlos Edwards, the winger from T&T is ancient. He was on my Wrexham teams in Championship Manager 00/01.

Askani

Via @pkedit: on the last eight #USMNT goals, Christian Pulisic has:

- 4 goals
- 3 assists
- 1 foul drawn for a free-kick goal

Oozer3993

During the "Player of the Match" montage for Pulisic, FOX accidentally cut to a shot of the sun shining through clouds. You know, like how movies depict God. Totally a coincidence, I'm sure.

Lunar FC

Amazing experience at the game tonight. Can't stop that kid. Great performances from Nagbe and was super impressed by Villafaña.

Line_HTX

Who's doing the play-by-play for FS1? He was saying the Puto was "The Unholy Chant that will never be eradicated and is a tragic story."

Nice GOOOOL on that incoming header from the corner. That was pretty fucking sick.

Dartastic

What a fun game. Super happy to see Villafana do well. Pretty sure I've been basically yelling for him to be on the USMNT and I'm glad he's done well. Also, that combination on the right that lead to the first goal... whew. So good.

Pulisic tho... dude is special. He makes everyone around him better. Bradley seemed confident to sit deeper, Nagbe had a reliable outlet like Valeri to play off of, Altidore knew the kid was gonna make good runs, etc. He is great.

Dartastic

NoRéN;239742031 said:
I hope pulisic and villafana keep this up. If Mexico keep playing the way they did today, Sunday could be bad.
I expect to see Omar Gonzales on Sunday for his experience at the Azteca.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
world class pass by altidore, can't deny.

As much as everyone complains about him, when he's not on the field it's pretty obvious we're missing his passing in the final third. Most US fans refuse to admit it, but it's true. We need that passing and hold-up play.

I really think Dempsey needs to be a super-sub at this point, it feels like him and Pulisic operate in the same sort of spaces and I know which one I'd rather have. Let Altidore and Wood start.

I really think Dempsey needs to be a super-sub at this point, it feels like him and Pulisic operate in the same sort of spaces and I know which one I'd rather have. Let Altidore and Wood start.
It makes sense to go to a 4-2-3-1 against Mexico. Start Acosta in deep midfield to help Bradley, then play Johnson-Pulisic-Nagbe/Bedoya underneath Altidore. Dempsey was heated after getting pulled last night, but it was the right move at the time.

EDIT: MLS Analyst is guessing there are more changes afoot:
My wager is that Omar Gonzalez comes in for Brooks, Kellyn Acosta for Dempsey, Bobby Wood for Altidore, Paul Arriola for Nagbe and Alejandro Bedoya for Johnson against Mexico. We could also see Tim Ream or – please, please, please let it happen! – DaMarcus Beasley at left back if Villafaña is spent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It makes sense to go to a 4-2-3-1 against Mexico. Start Acosta in deep midfield to help Bradley, then play Johnson-Pulisic-Nagbe/Bedoya underneath Altidore. Dempsey was heated after getting pulled last night, but it was the right move at the time.

I agree with this. I think Pulisic plays the 10 far enough forward that the US might not need a second striker. He's been occupying the space Dempsey usually does and doing more with it. I feel like we didn't lose a whole lot when we moved to a one forward system last night.

gutshot

I don't remember for sure but I'm guessing not. That sort of shit just kinda comes with the territory when playing on the road in CONCACAF.

Cystm

Basti was the maestro for that whole match. His ability to play all over the pitch to create space anywhere he wants is just so good to watch.

Icolin

Banned
Basti was the maestro for that whole match. His ability to play all over the pitch to create space anywhere he wants is just so good to watch.

Yep. The amount of times he occasionally dropped as deep as the central defence and played a perfect ball into space was staggering.

He's the top class player on and off the pitch that the Fire have desperately needed for a pretty long time.

Askani

Just back from the stadium. I hope Montreal sends Mustivar a little something to thank him for the point. Maybe a little edible arrangement with a tasteful card.

Top Bottom