• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

So what do we need to accomplish in the next three games to qualify?

Realistically:

To finish higher than Panama, beat them at home and win one of the other two games. For Honduras, get a result at Honduras and get a win in one of the last two games. US could also lose to Honduras and have a chance to pass them by winning the last two anyway.

Assuming a Mexico win tonight and with a win at Honduras the US would have a strong chance to qualify outright with a win at home against Panama.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Realistically:

To finish higher than Panama, beat them at home and win one of the other two games. For Honduras, get a result at Honduras and get a win in one of the last two games. US could also lose to Honduras and have a chance to pass them by winning the last two anyway.

Assuming a Mexico win tonight and with a win at Honduras the US would have a strong chance to qualify outright with a win at home against Panama.

There's still enough points on the table. I don't like how close it's looking though, I'd rather not wind up needed to see a playoff.

North Korea is already eliminated fyi. Syria looks very reasonable.

We could probably beat Syria, I'm not too afraid of them but I'd rather not see the team in that spot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm calling my shot.
US vs. North Korea for a spot in the world cup. Home & Home
20Exlbz.jpg

https://twitter.com/we_global/status/903783427077541892

I forgot the US was playing today until this old Jamaican dude at the ping pong club that I was playing at told me about it.

I see that we still suck badly, but I now want it to come down to the last round where the US would have to beat T&T just to have a shot to play whoever they need to play in repechage to make it to the WC. I think that could be exciting.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
And whoever scheduled this game at THAT stadium with all those Costa Rica fans should be fired immediately.

I was at the game tonight. Beyond the game itself, this was the most pathetic showing I have seen from the American Outlaws. The leaders were completely unorganized between the different sections. They apparently just wanted to keep repeating the same two chants. And large portions of the group just stood around and didn't even participate. I have always seen much more enthusiasm from the AO at the games I have been at in Hartford and Boston.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was at the game tonight. Beyond the game itself, this was the most pathetic showing I have seen from the American Outlaws. The leaders were completely unorganized between the different sections. They apparently just wanted to keep repeating the same two chants. And large portions of the group just stood around and didn't even participate. I have always seen much more enthusiasm from the AO at the games I have been at in Hartford and Boston.

They should have had the local capos help out, the supporter's section when the Red Bulls play can drown out damn near anyone and they always do a good job at keeping everyone hype.

Icolin

Banned
Just watched the US v Costa Rica game. Waston was a fucking behemoth today, as was the entire Costa Rican defence. Definitely can't say that about the USMNT defence; hopefully Omar Gonzalez starts against Honduras.

NoRéN

So that's what it looks like when pulisic faces tough opposition. Not surprised. A good humbling is always a good thing. Hopefully things turn around by the Honduras game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;247734560 said:
So that's what it looks like when pulisic faces tough opposition. Not surprised. A good humbling is always a good thing. Hopefully things turn around by the Honduras game.

Honduras deserves a lot of credit for shutting him down, they managed to limit him to one shot and forced a crazy save from Navas. He'll get better as he gets more experience with these kinds of games.

US central defense was absolute trash though. It just wasn't anywhere near good enough and made the rest of the team look bad as a result. Bradley was playing too deep to compensate and Nagbe wasn't prepared to handle the extra defensive duties as a result.

Arena should have just played a 4-5-1, wore them down, and brought in Wood and Dempsey to exploit the tired defenders. The backline wasn't strong enough to run what we did and it shows. He just called this game wrong, CONCACAF has always been about winning the war of attrition. The line-up and formation he put out didn't reflect that reality, even if he did play the right people in the right spots.

Also, AO needs to take a long hard look at how they managed the supporters section because I've never seen the home team supporters get out-sung at RBA. That's on them, not the stadium or the local suppoters, but the AO leadership guys.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jesse needs to start swapping Veron on quicker. At the 60 at least. Myul is a workhorse and I love him for it, but he's far from the more creative attacker on this squad.

What a beautiful display of soccer by Gyasi Zardes last night. He was involved in all three goals, with a PK earned, an assist and a goal. Just like Landon Donovan, Zardes is coming back with a vengeance for being left off the National Team.

Dartastic

I just wanna tell everyone to relax about the game right now. I flew to Japan which means it's 8:45 at night right now on the 5th. We won. ...it's some back to the future shit don't worry about it. Just chill.

Previews:
- ESPN: United States facing heat in Honduras, in more ways than one
- SI: Bruce Arena Opens Up About Costa Rica Loss, Christian Pulisic and More
- SI: Conditions, Cards Mean Changes Are Coming to USA Lineup in Honduras
- Washington Post: On the eve of a crucial game, the U.S. men’s national team is feeling the heat

Today match is at 5:30 p.m. ET: Honduras vs. United States beIN Sports, Universo, Telemundo Deportes en Vivo app, Universo Now app, telemundodeportes.com, beIN Sports Connect, fuboTV

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone know whether you need a special package to have NBC Universo on Cablevision/Optimum? I'm pretty sure I don't have beIN.

You might want to check before the game. I know my dad doesn't have beIN, but the channel turns itself on during WCQ. That or he orders it for the day.

Lunar FC

Why the hell dont they make it more mainstream to watch our national team play? BeIN Sports? really?

They usually are on stations people actually have. I'm guessing the time of the match is what is keeping it off a major station. That and the fact that they probably didn't predict this would be such a crucial match.

Why the hell dont they make it more mainstream to watch our national team play? BeIN Sports? really?
US Soccer FAQ: World Cup Qualifying Television Rights
Who owns the rights to World Cup Qualifying matches?

The worldwide television rights to each World Cup Qualifying match are initially the property of the hosting country. The host Federation, who often works with a third-party to commercialize these television rights, is the rights holder and can distribute the broadcast in various countries at its sole discretion. The Federation is under no obligation to sell the rights to a broadcaster in the United States. Since each country is responsible for the sale of the broadcast rights to its home matches, U.S. Soccer has no authority to compel the host Federation to sell the rights of a World Cup qualifier to any broadcaster in the United States.

Why does the host Federation initially own the rights?

It is industry standard for the ownership of the worldwide television rights for World Cup Qualifying matches to belong to the host Federation.

Why don't U.S. Soccer and its broadcast partners purchase the rights?

With every National Team match, U.S. Soccer wants the television broadcast to reach the widest audience possible and always pursues every option available to purchase the rights in conjunction with our broadcast partners. Ultimately, the rights holder makes the final decision on whether they will sell the rights to a broadcaster in the United States.

Will all away World Cup Qualifying matches for the U.S. be on beIN SPORTS and Universo?

Unfortunately, we are not able to answer that question at this time because the rights holder for each away Qualifying match will make a determination on whether they will sell the rights to a broadcaster in the United States. U.S. Soccer and its broadcast partners will pursue every available option to purchase the rights for upcoming away World Cup qualifiers.

The 4th place CONCACAF Hex finisher will play the winner of a playoff between Syria and Australia for the right to go to the World Cup.

gutshot

The away qualifier TV situation is better than it used to be. I think some were aired only on PPV and some weren't even aired at all.

At least now they are all on Univision, which pretty much everyone can get.

Yeah, I watched the Conor Casey match at a bar on PPV. They had to turn people away. beIN saw an opportunity and paid more for it than any of the other broadcasters were willing to pay. It stinks that not a lot of people have the channel, but hopefully if ratings improve in the future, we'll have more away qualifiers on something like ESPN or Fox.

Top Bottom