• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs announced

Spoo

Really bummed. Amnesia was awesome; Dear Esther was absolutely fucking terrible. What to do, what to do...

Will buy. Amnesia wasn't as amazingly terrifying as some people make it out to be, but it was an excellent Lovecraftian adventure game. Anything Frictional touches has my interest.

I expect a Trent Reznor-esque soundtrack with that name...

Funny thing, I was actually listening to March of the Pigs earlier but I didn't think of it until you posted this. I bet Trent played the first game, if they approached him and told him the title I reckon he'd be down like a clown.

gabbo

I expect a Trent Reznor-esque soundtrack with that name...

I was thinking it sounded like an industrial album - Ministry - when it was confirmed.
It's now top of my list of most wanted games this year. That and a fresh pair of pants.

Raika

Didn't manage to complete the original game because I'm a coward, but I'm still hyped for this game nonetheless. And watching gameplay/reaction videos of the original game before playing it kinda killed the experience for me, and I've learned my lesson. So this time all I can say is BRING IT ON BRO.

Combine

Banned
The original game was definitely one of the scariest I've ever played. And it was equally pretty disturbing as well (the Torture scenes/descriptions/sounds especially), along with Justine.

I'll definitely be on the watch.

After the horror that is Amnesia, I will probably pre order this to support frictional, and end up never playing it. They do the horror thing a little too well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hope they have more extensive modding capabilities built in this time too. Amnesia's engine would be perfect (& perfectly modest for old schoolers without amazing PCs) for modern Thief fan missions with the way it handles dark/light, physics and interactions.

SparkTR

Hope they have more extensive modding capabilities built in this time too. Amnesia's engine would be perfect (& perfectly modest for old schoolers without amazing PCs) for modern Thief fan missions with the way it handles dark/light, physics and interactions.

Dark Mod
already has that covered.

Zekes!

I'll buy this if there's a Mac version. I really enjoyed Amnesia, even though I ended up ruining the game for myself 2/3rds through the game. I basically charged at an enemy one night while playing to get over my fear of them. This proved successful, and instead of going slow and cowering the whole way through it like I had been before, I ended up blasting my way through the rest of the game because I came to learn how the enemies actually behaved and such.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

but Amnesia has very good mod tools and tons of mods for it. Including total conversions.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe total conversions in the sense that they use mostly new assets, models, textures, etc, instead of recycle game content, but I haven't seen any that have substantially different gameplay that goes beyond Amnesia's adventure roots... Maybe I missed some?

neeksleep

I was tricked into playing the first one not knowing anything about it. I didn’t clue in to the fact that everyone behind me were tensed up trying to hold back from giggling.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Who else played Amnesia at night, lights off + headphones? I did, and that was the best way to fully experience the game.

It's been long enough that I've forgotten certain parts, going to have to replay the game in the coming months.

Who else played Amnesia at night, lights off + headphones? I did, and that was the best way to fully experience the game.

It's been long enough that I've forgotten certain parts, going to have to replay the game in the coming months.

i did, and fear wise it did nothing for me, but i won't go on about that again.

i approve this collaboration.

Neiteio

Amnesia is what got me into PC gaming (which is ironic, since it's one of the least demanding PC titles, performance-wise). I've long admired the horror genre and I was so blown away by what Frictional accomplished with Amnesia that I bought copies for six or seven people here during the Halloween Steam Sale. It's a game that deserves every sale it gets and then some. It's the savior of survival horror. And to hear Frictional is collaborating with thechineseroom, the people who made the amazing interactive poem that is Dear Esther, creates so much hype in me that I can hardly contain myself. If this is truly coming out this year, color it my most anticipated game.

I have yet to man up and finish the first game! At the current rate I won't be done until this thing releases.

That said, I've been "enjoying" (if you can call it that...) Amnesia a lot and this seems like a match made in heaven. Which reminds me... I also need to buy Dear Esther!

Danielsan

I'm still holding off on purchasing the original Amnesia until I have a PC that can actually run it, but I can't wait to play it. I played the demo for a bit in 800x600 and running at a terrible framerate, but the game seemed right up my alley.

Neiteio

I'm very curious what dynamics they might change up. They say much of it will be familiar, but there will be new elements. I know that the removal of "punishing deaths" was something they added late in the game and a mechanic they're quite proud of (see Grip's GDC speech last year, iirc), so I bet in this game fear of the unknown will once again be the prime emotional motivator, not dying and losing progress.

Will the game still have the "stay in the light to stay sane/avoid the light to not be seen" mechanic? What about the delicate management of light-creating resources (oil lantern, matchsticks)? What about staring at monsters and rapidly losing sanity, to the point where you can collapse and draw attention to your hiding place? What about hiding inside closets, or closing doors behind you to slow monsters during chase scenes? I'm really curious what will be kept, removed or changed.

I also wonder what thechineseroom will bring to the game. I have to imagine much of Dear Esther's strength lied in Robert Briscoe, the former Mirror's Edge designer who shaped Dear Esther's stunning environs. Is he involved with this game? If not, I'm sure thechineseroom are still capable designers, and certainly they're capable writers.

SOME-MIST

I still have to beat justine, but I'll be getting this day one. I also have Dear Esther installed, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. This is some exciting news - even though not surprising since everyone had already figured it out.

Endesu

My body is ready and has been ready for sometime now.

Still playing some of the mods. Pretty good stuff out there!

Top Bottom