• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs announced

Haunted

They're making a new Amnesia game?

AM4Wu.gif

Looking forward to it. I really liked Amnesia, even if it stopped being scary towards the end.

I was thinking it sounded like an industrial album - Ministry - when it was confirmed.
It's now top of my list of most wanted games this year. That and a fresh pair of pants.

It would be cool if they had a proper industrial soundtrack like this.

Never played the first one but this sounds really interesting to me. I've heard nothing but good things about the first, so I'll have to pick it up during a Steam sale. The setting of this one sounds really cool. And I like the name for some reason :p

kaizenmx

Banned
Wow, this one is gonna set during the Industrial Revolution?

Interesting.

I guess they are moving on from the Victorian setting.

Saty

Some guy e-mailed Frictional about a rumor of the sequel being made to be less scary. Thomas Grip's response:

Dear Gustav,

One should not pay too much attention to rumors .

If it would have been a less scary Amnesia it would have been called "Amnesia: A trip to rainbowland" or perhaps "Amnesia: A machine for cookie baking". Our dear collaborators, Chinese Room, has gone to great length to conjure up the most disturbing and repulsive subtitle for a game yet. There is nothing friendly, cuddly or cozy about a machine for pigs. Men do not make machines that play with pigs, or sing cute songs for pig. No, there are only horrible and terrifying implications with this kind of machinery.

But please do continue with the conviction that A Machine for Pigs will be a nice and mellow experience. When it becomes a available on a dark and stormy night this coming fall, do let your guard down. Do think as you boot the game that this will be nothing to worry about. Put out all lights and play it in your damp and gloomy basement, far away from any kind of comfort, convinced that your are in for an relaxing trip.

You will then be unprepared for what will hit you, and will perhaps never dare to start your computer ever again, fearful of coming close to that machine. Your dreams will be filled with creaking machinery, the desperate cries of pigs, the rattle of chains and the dreadful feeling of something unspeakable is watching you from beyond. That is when you will regret thinking that A Machine for Pigs would be not a very scary experience.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Thomas Grip Frictional Games
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...equel-will-make-you-afraid-to-turn-on-your-pc

Same here. My god I can't wait. And with Chinese Room on board...how good is this game going to look?

Funniest address to fans I've read. Great devs, deserve so much success I can't even find the words to emphasize it.

It's reminds me of the "I hope you like words" Penny Arcade comic about Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I picture Thomas Grip starting out fairly calmly and slowly working his way up to a feverish chant as he reads that reply. He pauses for a moment for effect before dropping the last line in a voice so low it's almost a whisper; "That is when you will regret thinking that A Machine for Pigs would be not a very scary experience."

Then he snaps out of it and says cheerfully "Have a nice day!"

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What is it with pigs and really gritty movies? I can remember pig guts in one of the Saw movies and I think there were pigs in one of the Hannibal flicks too.

I'm imagining something very brownish, filthy and all around nasty.

Neiteio

Hrm, I hope the "pigs" are actually humans. In RE4, the dog in the bear trap bothered me more than anything bad that happened to any of the humans (the live humans I mean, like Luis and Chopper Mike). In other words, if this is going for a literal slaughterhouse, that's not scary, that's just sad and disturbing. But I suspect the title is more a matter of allegory/symbolism, maybe with pig sounds sprinkled in to the same effect as crying children in horror games X, Y and Z.

Corto

What is it with pigs and really gritty movies? I can remember pig guts in one of the Saw movies and I think there were pigs in one of the Hannibal flicks too.

I'm imagining something very brownish, filthy and all around nasty.

It's the screams. I helped in some family traditional slaughter of pigs and it really is horrifying.

Zomba13

Hrm, I hope the "pigs" are actually humans. In RE4, the dog in the bear trap bothered me more than anything bad that happened to any of the humans (the live humans I mean, like Luis and Chopper Mike). In other words, if this is going for a literal slaughterhouse, that's not scary, that's just sad and disturbing. But I suspect the title is more a matter of allegory/symbolism, maybe with pig sounds sprinkled in to the same effect as crying children in horror games X, Y and Z.

We are the pigs and this game is the machine made to slaughter us.

Baha

Buying Dear Esther in celebration of this good news (I should've done this earlier but eh this makes it easier). Been a fan since Penumbra, can't wait for this.

nero2082

Frictional never mentioned it but Amnesia had a coop, basically you needed someone else on Skype/Ventrilo comforting you, very backseat gaming friendly game too

I've sent many emails to Frictional with praise on how good they are, less is more, tangible fear etc in my eyes they've outdone everyone in this business, including Team Silent with SH1

Let's get it straight if you can create a scene in the game which gives people real sense of scare, where people go batshit insane, cry (cry b/c of a horror game? ffs!) or just totally panic (sinister gameplay ideas like mouse drag to open door <---> isn't so precise in stressful moments) then you're a master of horror, I can't remember Silent Hill games giving people that sort/caliber of fear. So yea, they are masters who developed digital evil.

examples with genuine fear, I LOVE it what it does to gamers, poor victims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRo0iT0qNw#t=2m10s <--- hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaGcYf0IpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkX53_ba6U

there are tons of it, water part anyone?

OK, what the fuck.

One of my best mates is a Cypriot who has this grainy 16mm film reel of his folks' wedding back home. Everything is quite calm and cheerful except for the scene where the entire family gathers around to watch dad slaughter a pig for dinner. For someone who is pretty seriously detached from the food chain like we are it's disturbing as fuck, and made even more so by the fact that everyone is cheering and laughing about it. For the people in the video, it's dinner.

Frictional never mentioned it but Amnesia had a coop, basically you needed someone else on Skype/Ventrilo comforting you, very backseat gaming friendly game too

I've sent many emails to Frictional with praise on how good they are, less is more, tangible fear etc in my eyes they've outdone everyone in this business, including Team Silent with SH1

Let's get it straight if you can create a scene in the game which gives people real sense of scare, where people go batshit insane, cry (cry b/c of a horror game? ffs!) or just totally panic (sinister gameplay ideas like mouse drag to open door <---> isn't so precise in stressful moments) then you're a master of horror, I can't remember Silent Hill games giving people that sort/caliber of fear. So yea, they are masters who developed digital evil.

examples with genuine fear, I LOVE it what it does to gamers, poor victims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRo0iT0qNw#t=2m10s <--- hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaGcYf0IpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkX53_ba6U

there are tons of it, water part anyone?

The first one is a great example; only one I watched, but you could tell he was genuinely terrified after that. I didn't get that overly expressive, but I know exactly the feeling and by far its the only game that has done it. Multiple times I've had to take long breaks (as in weeks) before even finishing the game.

Neiteio

One of my best mates is a Cypriot who has this grainy 16mm film reel of his folks' wedding back home. Everything is quite calm and cheerful except for the scene where the entire family gathers around to watch dad slaughter a pig for dinner. For someone who is pretty seriously detached from the food chain like we are it's disturbing as fuck, and made even more so by the fact that everyone is cheering and laughing about it. For the people in the video, it's dinner.
Wow. That's chilling. :(

Just quickly knock the animal unconscious before killing it. Jesus.

kaizenmx

Banned
Is this like an expansion pack like separate Justine story or is it completely new separate Amnesia game that has nothing to do with the first game?

God damn it, I seriously could not bear to play the first game for stretches longer than 30-40 minutes at a time, even if nothing particularly "scary" happened. Just the sheer atmosphere was enough to make me feel like my whole day would be ruined if I didn't stop playing after a while. The game really affected my mood in the worst ways, making it really hard to play through it. I'm glad I did though, it was amazing.

Top Bottom