• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs |OT| - This Little Piggy Cried AAHHH All the Way to Hell

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ibwP5i46can12b.png

Release date: 09/10/13
Developer: The Chinese Room (Dear Esther, Korsakovia, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture)
Publisher: Frictional Games (Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Decent)
Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux (No plans for a console release as of yet)

ir5X38bqds8aF.png

From the creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Dear Esther comes a new first-person horrorgame that will drag you to the depths of greed, power and madness. It will bury its snout into your ribs and it will eat your heart.

The year is 1899. Wealthy industrialist Oswald Mandus has returned home from a disastrous expedition to Mexico, which has ended in tragedy. Wracked by fever, haunted by dreams of a dark machine, he recovers consciousness in his own bed, with no idea of how much time has passed since his last memory. As he struggles to his feet, somewhere beneath him, an engine splutters, coughs, roars into life...

Much of the gameplay from Amnesia: The Dark Descent will return in A Machine For Pigs with some significant changes made. The game no longer features an inventory and enemy AI has been tweaked to ensure seasoned players of the original game won't be complacent when playing the sequel, a process which is likely to be ongoing right up until the game finally launches.

It's estimated that the game will take around 5 to 6 hours to complete, which will of course vary depending on how the game is played.​

• Unique game created in collaboration between two independent game companies famous for exploring the outer reaches of what games can be.
  • Fresh and new approach to the Amnesia world while staying true to its origins.
  • Unique physics interaction that has been developed and improved since 2005.
  • Exceptional artwork and environments that run on low system specifications.
  • The darkest, most horrific tale ever told in a videogame.
  • Stunning soundtrack by award-winning composer Jessica Curry.

iW7aW06lfcvwz.png

For those peering through the Window of the butcher shop, who took a bite from a tainted Apple, or who dress sharply but appear bloated like a Penguin:​

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista | OSX 10.6.8 | Major Linux Distribution from 2010
Processor: 2.0 Ghz core i5 CPU or equivalent.
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Mid-range NVIDIA GeForce 3x0 / ATI Radeon HD 5x00. Integrated Intel HD Graphics should work but is not supported; problems are generally solved with a driver update.
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space

Recommended:
OS: Windows 7 | OSX 10.7.5 | Major Linux Distribution from 2012
Processor: 2.0 Ghz core i7 CPU or equivalent.
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: High-range NVIDIA GeForce 5x0 / ATI Radeon HD 6x00. Integrated Intel HD Graphics should work but is not supported; problems are generally solved with a driver update.
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space

iJuSQB4O2lXD8.png

Soundtrack @ Bandcamp

Previews (up to 30 minutes long, spoilers ahead)

irgMuBHHmrLpM.png

All stores offer a 20% pre-order discount before September 10th!
Desura
GameFly
GamersGate
GOG
Humble Store via the Devs Site [Click the "Humble Store" link to get a pop-up box]
Mac Game Store
Steam

Animator

Can't wait for this.

Do we have a Outlast thread yet? That one comes out tomorrow and by all accounts is scary as hell. This is a good week for scary game fans.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Very nice work, Cheesecake.

Thank you sir! Been doing some adjustments, will add videos and the like closer to launch I think.

I'm surprised at how quiet the pre-release has been. Other than the youtube videos there hadn't been much in the way of hype. I think we're all in for a treat though. The Chinese Room seems like they've got a lot of tricks up their sleeve, including stuff they pulled on each other. From a Q&A session with Dan Pinchbeck:

Q. Fun one: What's the best reaction you've gotten out of a designer play testing the game? [from Randomguy9900]

A. We used to put new stuff in and not tell the art team, then tell them there was a problem in the level and they could only see it by playing it through to that point. That was always fun.

We had a general rule that if anyone on the team had a problem with content and said "that's just going too far", we'd pull it out. I think we only removed one thing though. That's not a great comment on the team I think

If that's what they're doing to each other while making it, I can't imagine what sort of stuff is waiting for players.

Dylan

I thought the graphics reallllly hurt the first Amnesia, but this seems to look a bit better. I'm optimistic.

vladdamad

Massively excited. I adore Dear Esther, although Amnesia didn't leave as much of an impression on me as it did on others. Loved the atmosphere though. Can't wait to see The Chinese Room give a proper attempt at a horror game - Esther was already creepy enough, as was Korsakovia

Gbraga

Already preordered, can't wait to refuse to enter a room for half an hour.

Does it really support a controller? That would be great.

My computer struggled to run Gone Home, but it ran Dear Esther. I'm looking forward to this one for sure. Thechineseroom make the type of games I want to play. I'm super excited to see how this one turns out (I'll probably at least try to watch a walk through).

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Right, media is allowed to showcase 30-minutes of the game before the September 9 embargo.

Here's ours in 1080p with minimal commentary, and no "artificial" screaming. Just gameplay and
shows the Mansion to the Church
which, if I'm not mistaken, is the farthest vid yet?!

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyJ3OD04q1U

So glad horror games are coming back. Outlast, this and lots more. Hoping it's like horror movies that have low budgets but the ROI are tenfold.

Chinese Room have some big shoes to fill. Been on a media blackout since the first teaser. I don't intend to stick around in this thread with such a big robust OP. Amnesia was great because it was a surprise and I had no expectations, hoping for some positive reviews before jumping in.

Despera

Banned
For those interested. I was allowed to post the first 30 minutes of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrrPvuNWn4 Very little is spoiled and gives you an idea of what to expect but of course some minor spoilers and scares.
Yeah I already watched your vid and enjoyed it. I love how you talk normally throughout and don't scream like an idiot.

Can't wait for this game. Hopefully I'll be done with Outlast by the time it comes out.

Yeah I already watched your vid and enjoyed it. I love how you talk normally throughout and don't scream like an idiot.

Can't wait for this game. Hopefully I'll be done with Outlast by the time it comes out.

Yep. I plan to keep it that way on my Outlast and Amnesia playthroughs :D. Why everyone has to act a fool in videos, I have no idea. Sure I react to the jump scares but... well... they're scary.

Here's ours in 1080p with minimal commentary, and no "artificial" screaming. Just gameplay and
shows the Mansion to the Church
which, if I'm not mistaken, is the farthest vid yet?!

If you got that far without using the guide they sent out, I give you props... but also worry about how long the game will be... Not looking good at that rate.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Guys posting your previews, if you have a custom preview image you use for your video be sure to post it so I can make a neater organization for the OT. Thanks!

Can't wait for this. On top of being the sequel to one of the best horror games of this generation, it has one of the most awesome subtitles ever.

Speaking of which, the title of this thread is EPIC

BlackJace

Come on GAF, where's the hype?

Anyways, too much of a punk to play; will watch playthroughs with earphones instead.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know if my heart can take another scene as frightening as the invisible monster in the water part

oh seriously jumped out of my seat in horror

so of course I can't wait

I don't know if my heart can take another scene as frightening as the invisible monster in the water part

oh seriously jumped out of my seat in horror

so of course I can't wait

The monster in the water part wasn't the least bit scary. It was by far the worst part of the game with really annoying mechanics and frustrating platforming. In fact, that section of the demo kept me from ever buying the game as a stand-alone product. I only played through it because I got it as part of a humble bundle. I ended up loving the rest of the game, though, and can't wait for this one.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What's with OT subtitles being so good lately? lol

Do we have loading zones this time? I don't really want to watch any videos before going in but that was an issue for me with Amnesia.

Top Bottom