• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Neiteio

ghst said:
you say that as if a large budget wouldn't be an albatross of populist homogeneity dragging their studio into administration.
*reads this*

*reads this again*

*reads this thrice*

Awesome.

ghst said:
from the tone of things around here, you'd assume people would be gasping for a survival horror that doesn't just crib from notes handed down by the psone generation. but here we are, three days from release and barely pushing two pages.

Sorry, I couldn't barely played more than a few minutes of penumbra, so obviosuly I can't get interested in this since it seems even more scary, I played a lot of Survival Horror games,but this is too much...

ghst said:
from the tone of things around here, you'd assume people would be gasping for a survival horror that doesn't just crib from notes handed down by the psone generation. but here we are, three days from release and barely pushing two pages.

I pre-ordered this months ago. I would probably be hyped for it, but I avoid all coverage for any game I know I want.

I'll see you fools Wednesday.

Neiteio

I want to play this game sooo baaad, but my comp is a Dell Inspiron 6000 bought in 2005, and not for gaming purposes, either... Probably couldn't handle this, eh?

If this were on PS3, I'd be all over it like gravey on a KFC bowl.

Draft

I actually know nothing about this game. I am not even going to read the OP (don't ban me.) Going in completely cherry.

Neiteio said:
I want to play this game sooo baaad, but my comp is a Dell Inspiron 6000 bought in 2005, and not for gaming purposes, either... Probably couldn't handle this, eh?

Yeah, I'd suggest getting out of this thread and heading down the street to the "I Need a New PC" thread. :D

System requirements calls for at least a geforce 9600, and i doubt whatever you've got is anywhere near that.

Draft said:
I actually know nothing about this game. I am not even going to read the OP (don't ban me.) Going in completely cherry.

All I know is that you carry a lantern and there may or may not be spooky things happening.

ghst said:
you say that as if a large budget wouldn't be an albatross of populist homogeneity dragging their studio into administration.

True, there's always a possibility of that. It's not even like I was saying something AAA, but to have some more financial freedom could only be a good thing in that regard. I certainly wouldn't want Frictional to end up that way. Not knowing how they operate, maybe it's something that isn't even necessary.

Neiteio said:

Actually, the sys-req are pretty liberal for this, like their last games. I suspect you could run it at lower settings.

Processor: 1.5Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: TBD
Graphics: Radeon 9600/GeForceFX - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work.

TouchMyBox said:
System requirements calls for at least a geforce 9600, and i doubt whatever you've got is anywhere near that.

GeforceFX, Radeon 9600, very different.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Oh.... :lol Still, it says it probably won't work on integrated chipsets, and if his machine was never considered a gaming machine, it more than likely has integrated graphics (Does look like some of the inspiron 6000s have radeon x300 chips though).

When in doubt, give the demo a whirl.

Yasae

Banned
ghst said:
With that comes certain advantages, like oh..... GPU compatibility.

EDIT: Damn, a 9600?

ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series
ATI Radeon X2100 Series

TouchMyBox said:
Oh.... :lol Still, it says it probably won't work on integrated chipsets, and if his machine was never considered a gaming machine, it more than likely has integrated graphics.

When in doubt, give the demo a whirl.

No problem, you're right though. I'd also suggest trying out the demo.

Tim-E

I loved Penumbra Overture, but haven't followed this game too much.

I just watched the teaser video on the Steam page and pre-ordered it before the price shot up tomorrow. :lol

Gotta give talented PC developers some financial love.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Actually, the sys-req are pretty liberal for this, like their last games. I suspect you could run it at lower settings.

That's some fucking hardcore scalability.

Tim-E said:
I loved Penumbra Overture, but haven't followed this game too much.

I just watched the teaser video on the Steam page and pre-ordered it before the price shot up tomorrow. :lol

Gotta give talented PC developers some financial love.
maybe check out penumbra black plague aswell. or if you're going to play it, probably do it before amnesia

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"Amnesia: The Dark Descent was almost canned"

Beefjack.com said:
Horror-adventure Amnesia: The Dark Descent releases tomorrow. But it almost wasn’t to be, according to developers Frictional Games.

“There have been several occasions when we seriously considered dropping the project,” Thomas Grip told BeefJack today.

The game’s been rather a financial struggle for the small independent developer, whose previous game – the three-part Penumbra series – was something of an overlooked gem. “We have had to cut salaries almost in half – and they were low to start with,” said Grip. And the troubles aren’t over just because the game’s finished: “Our future as a company depends on this game not flopping, so plenty of butterflies in the stomach.”

http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-the-dark-descent-was-almost-canned/

better get evangelising.

ghst said:
"Amnesia: The Dark Descent was almost canned"

http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-the-dark-descent-was-almost-canned/

better get evangelising.

And you patronized me for saying some financial freedom could be beneficial to these guys. ;) Thank god they stuck with it. For anyone that pre-ordered on Frictionals website, Steam codes are up and it looks like you can pre-load the game.

BobsRevenge said:
That's some fucking hardcore scalability.

I know, right. They were the same way with Penumbra, that's probably why they had some driver issues in the beginning

Max

I am not Max
Consider it bought. It's terrible that they almost had to cancel the game more than once. People need to give the demo more attention, give them a chance to decide if they want to buy it or not. It'd be a shame if horror games like these ceased.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I feel good about preordering it. I don't buy games day 1 anymore (with some rare exceptions).

owlbeak

Fucking bought this yesterday the second the demo ended. Amazingly well done and the setting and story seem right out of an HP Lovecraft/Edgar Allan Poe story.

Heard of the game, never heard anything about what's going on though. Just saw a screeny every now in then. Going in totally in the dark. Gonna be awesome!

fap!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Remembering: The Light Ascent.

Got this one in the crosshairs, obviously. It's my kind of game.

I am happy to see Amnesia is climbing the top sellers list on Steam. They totally deserve the money they are getting and I hope they make a good amount after hearing about them almost canning the project.

Max said:
Consider it bought. It's terrible that they almost had to cancel the game more than once. People need to give the demo more attention, give them a chance to decide if they want to buy it or not. It'd be a shame if horror games like these ceased.

Totally agree with you. I hope this release helps them out and continue to make games. They have a great passion and great ideas. Check out their development blogs, very interesting reads about their approach to design, etc. Penumbra was one of the first games that brought me back to the dying Adventure genre (through a review on AdventureGamers.com) and I hope there will be more to come.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ghst said:
But then how can it be better than Dead Space 2 and Silent Hill 7 Something?

Joe Molotov

I should have clarified, if you pre-ordered from Frictional Games website...

CD-KEYS ARE UP, DOWNLOAD FROM STEAM GO GO GO GO!!!

Although I'm not sure yet if Steam will actually let you play it until tomorrow. I'll find out in a few minutes.

kamspy

I preordered as soon as it went up on Frictional's site in the spring. The day is finally almost here.

Preload is a go. Just a few more megs to go. From Steam.

vEw6p.jpg

Pre-ordered this back when it was on sale for $10. I almost want to hold off on playing this until Halloween, but I guess I'll crack the next time I'm bored and it's nice and dark out...

eXistor

What a sad state of affairs it is if a studio can shut down on based on the success of one game. It's even worse because it's obviously a great game that more people should be aware of and should play and cherish. I might just buy (or gift) an extra copy on Steam and a physical copy (if that ever happens), just to show some extra support (I pre-ordered the game when it was literally a steal...just a few bucks).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
eXistor said:
What a sad state of affairs it is if a studio can shut down on based on the success of one game. It's even worse because it's obviously a great game that more people should be aware of and should play and cherish. I might just buy (or gift) an extra copy on Steam and a physical copy (if that ever happens), just to show some extra support (I pre-ordered the game when it was literally a steal...just a few bucks).

that's a normal state of affairs for almost any indie studio. Only big corporations have shareholders money to eat through.

Max

I am not Max
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes, I pre-loaded earlier today. Steam orders may be different.
What the hell then! Lemme pre-load!

Probably won't be unlocked till 10 am tomorrow anyway right

kamspy

Damn.

She loads into Steam just like a game that's already available to play, but when you try to play her she just says she's unavailable, try again later.

Damn.

Probably gonna wait til this weekend so I can play at night anyways. Fucking work. Don't they know it's Amnesia week?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I played the preview version a while back (like 30 % of the game), and loved it. In many ways better than Penumbra IMO (Penumbra had some cool ideas, but as a horror game it didn't quite reach me). They really try to tackle horror without letting it get out of hand with silly monsters, shooting mechanics or tacked-on gameplay systems with HUDs and whatnot.
The game itself is pretty simple if you look at it from a game mechanics point of view, but it works really well for me. Rushing from candle to candle to stay sane, the constant feeling of something lurking in the shadows but never knowing when it will show up, mixed up with a few physics-based puzzles... and the story drawed me in as well, along with the environments. Yeah, this is definitely worth picking up if you like horror games... and I mean horror games, not action games with "scary moments". :p

Joe Molotov said:
I should have clarified, if you pre-ordered from Frictional Games website...

CD-KEYS ARE UP, DOWNLOAD FROM STEAM GO GO GO GO!!!

Although I'm not sure yet if Steam will actually let you play it until tomorrow. I'll find out in a few minutes.

Holy crap, the man tells the truth! I wonder if this will be finished downloading by the end of this bus ride -_- gogo 3G connection!

Top Bottom