• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

clip

From the developer's of Penumbra: Overture, and Penumbra: Black Plague...

cover_rose_1_0_box.jpg

Official Site: http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

Developer: Frictional Games

Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux

Release: September 8th, 2010

PC system Requirements:
o OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
o Processor: 1.5Ghz - Low budget CPUs such as Celeron or Duron needs to be at about twice the CPU speed
o Memory: 1 GB
o Hard Drive: TBD
o Graphics: Radeon 9600/GeForceFX - Integrated graphics and very low budget cards might not work.

Demo

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#demo

Where to Buy:

Frictional Games Store Pre-order for 10% off.
Gamer's Gate Pre-order for 10% off.
Direct2Drive Pre-order for 10% off.
Steam
Impulse
Gamestreamer

Premise:

The last remaining memories fade away into darkness. Your mind is a mess and only a feeling of being hunted remains. You must escape.

Awake...
Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a first person survival horror. A game about immersion, discovery and living through a nightmare. An experience that will chill you to the core.

You stumble through the narrow corridors as the distant cry is heard.
It is getting closer.

Explore...
Amnesia: The Dark Descent puts you in the shoes of Daniel as he wakes up in a desolate castle, barely remembering anything about his past. Exploring the eerie pathways, you must also take part of Daniel's troubled memories. The horror does not only come from the outside, but from the inside as well. A disturbing odyssey into the dark corners of the human mind awaits.

A sound of dragging feet? Or is your mind playing tricks on you?

Experience...
By using a fully physically simulated world, cutting edge 3D graphics and a dynamic sound system, the game pulls no punches when trying to immerse you. Once the game starts, you will be in control from the beginning to the end. There are no cut-scenes or time-jumps, whatever happens will happen to you first hand.

Something emerges out of the darkness. It's approaching. Fast.

Survive...
Amnesia: The Dark Descent throws you headfirst into a dangerous world where danger can lurk behind every corner. Your only means of defense are hiding, running or using your wits.

Do you have what it takes to survive?

Previews

Eurogamer

Screens

screenshot07.jpg

screenshot01.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

Videos

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Scary Gameplay

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Lost in the dark

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Water Horror

Reviews

IGN 8.5
Eurogamer 8/10
RPS Likes It

Editor

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just letting folks know that the "Custom story" tools have been released. Head on over to:

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/

For documentation, and

http://hpl2.frictionalgames.com/_media/tools:hpl_editor_suite.zip to download. Can't wait to see what GAF manages to do with these.

Zenith

Banned
I dunno, I got a baaaaaaaaad feeling about this. It looks like Penumbra except with wood panelling. And the videos are so dark it's not scary, it's just irritating trying to squint and see where you're going.

Zenith said:
I dunno, I got a baaaaaaaaad feeling about this. It looks like Penumbra except with wood panelling. And the videos are so dark it's not scary, it's just irritating trying to squint and see where you're going.

From reviewers with early copies, I've heard it's like Penumbra: Black Plague + Eternal Darkness and very, very good.

The M.O.B

I have a good feeling about this. Hopefully they do a good job with the back story like they did with penumbra. That was a rare game for me which I actually wanted to read all of the notes/books that were left behind.

I asked this before but, remember when they were selling the pre-order for half off? Does anybody happen to buy an extra and want to sell their steam key??

soco

Zenith said:
And the videos are so dark it's not scary, it's just irritating trying to squint and see where you're going.

i had this problem as well :\ it's not so scary when i can't see anything.

Just booting up the first Penumbra now. I have faith that Amnesia is going to be one of the scariest games I'll ever play. Fuck! Thank you so much for making this official thread and getting the word out.

Not sure if anyone saw my thread earlier, but Gamersgate.com is having a 70% Off sale on the Penumbra collection for both Win/Mac. $5.99, can't beat that. I suggest anyone that hasn't checked it out to hop on that ASAP, it's this weekend only.
http://www.gamersgate.com/all?q=penumbraweekend

Zenith said:

In the sense that it's about survival yes it's like Penumbra. The game has a very different look from Penumbra, and a completely new engine with very up-to-date tech. Supposedly the lighting is one of the more impressive parts about the game. It's also a clear homage to "The Outsider" by HP Lovecraft.

Not to mention, there's always the lantern. So black you can't see? Come on. It's part of the atmosphere.

clip

I've only watched the first gameplay teaser they put out sometime last year, and those screenshots are the only ones I've seen. I know nothing about the game other than that.

I do know that I loved me some Penumbra, so I'm pretty excited for this.

I liked Penumbra in concept, but hated the gameplay. Stopped after an hour or so.

Will have to try the demo to see if they have fixed the aspects I don't like before I buy this.

Majmun

So yeah, it's basically Penumbra, but better looking. The demo was pretty good. Something I expected.
Already got stuck though and have no idead what I should do next. And the tension meter is pretty unsettling, so I stopped. :p

I'll be getting this for sure eventually.

Second said:
So yeah, it's basically Penumbra, but better looking. The demo was pretty good. Something I expected.
Already got stuck though and have no idead what I should do next. And the tension meter is pretty unsettling, so I stopped. :p

I'll be getting this for sure eventually.

Was it the part with
the water and getting the door open?
If so then the lever is in the
first room

I shat myself the first time I was in there. :lol

Majmun

Fourman said:
Was it the part with
the water and getting the door open?
If so then the lever is in the
first room

I shat myself the first time I was in there. :lol

I think that's the place.

There was a door that was locked from the other side and I was kinda lost and didn't know what to do.

Being lost and all, the creepy audio didn't help. I also saw the first enemy there. I was afraid I would encounter him while roaming that place.

So I stopped. :lol
Will play again later tonight.

clip

FunkyPajamas said:
): games like this make me wish I had a gaming pc. Next year, I just need to save some more money!

The system requirements are very lenient. Try the demo anyhow!

clip said:
The system requirements are very lenient. Try the demo anyhow!
Ohhh, thanks! I'm running linux on a laptop, though, so I'll have to re-install vista during the weekend to try this.

:D Thanks again!

Inkwell

Banned
I already have this pre-ordered. I know almost nothing about the game, and I would like to keep it that way. I don't think I'm going to play the demo. The full game is being released next week anyway.

Aon

Oh god I got up to the
Second water room where you have to pull the arms off the bodies.
Man that's intense.

I was surprised by how compelling(if a little chiched) the story hook is. Will pick up for sure.

Nemesis_

The atmosphere in Penumbra was awful. In that it was so awful I had to stop playing at times, as in it was FUCKING SCARY.

But I never finished it. Is it worth playing through all three?

This demo scared the crap out of me just like when I initally played the original Prenumbra demo a long while ago. I'm currently
in the water area. I pluulled the lever (which I asume is timed, but I can't make it around the corner to get to the door whithout being killed because there is a gap in the crates. What am I doing wrong?

Ceebs

I have this preordered already but tried the demo for a bit. Fantastic atmosphere as expected. Can't wait to get the full thing now.

Buttonbasher said:
There's a Linux version of the demo:
Holy shit I can't believe I missed that in the OP! :lol I went straight to the system requirements and read "OS: Windows XP/Vista/7".

:D Oh god yes thank you! Downloading right now :D

OatmealMu

thehillissilent said:
This demo scared the crap out of me just like when I initally played the original Prenumbra demo a long while ago. I'm currently
in the water area. I pluulled the lever (which I asume is timed, but I can't make it around the corner to get to the door whithout being killed because there is a gap in the crates. What am I doing wrong?

Throw books to get the creature's attention.

Zenith

Banned
It was ok. A little crude. Sanity effects could get annoying.

Once you disassociate yourself from the sound and the pressure, the water monsters aren't that scary.

OatmealMu said:
Throw books to get the creature's attention.

Thanks. I actually
got into the room with the body parts without alerting the creature, but I soon found out that he was already in there with me :( It scared me to death. But I figured out what to do from there and gave him some fresh meat to distract him while I busted out of there and cranked that door open as fast as I could.

Max

I am not Max
I'm on a video blackout, so hyped. A friend watched a video and told me "you won't be able to manage" which only got me more excited :lol

Fuck yes the demo. Wow, can't wait to try this out. Love the GAF reaction so far. Only a couple more days.

Seriously, how intense is this for some people? I'm one of the types that has trouble getting through games if they are incredibly chilling and intense. I will push through this like I did Penumbra though.

Zenith said:
It was ok. A little crude. Sanity effects could get annoying.

Once you disassociate yourself from the sound and the pressure, the water monsters aren't that scary.

Ok, well then you can exit the OT now then if this game isn't for you. To each his own and all that but to continue shoot down the efforts is annoying.

Instro

Played through the demo real quick, pretty cool
that water sequence was pretty freaky
. One thing I noticed is that the frame rate was all over the place at times even though I can easily run it maxed out.

Zenith

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok, well then you can exit the OT now then if this game isn't for you. To each his own and all that but to continue shoot down the efforts is annoying.

I cheerled the Penumbra threads and Penumbra clones. Just because I made 2 negative posts - 1 about expectations and 1 about impressions - I should leave? After 2 posts? Are you new to GAF? This isn't gamefaqs. You don't like what I'm saying, tough shit, troll.

Zenith said:
I cheerled the Penumbra threads and Penumbra clones. Just because I made 2 negative posts - 1 about expectations and 1 about impressions - I should leave? After 2 posts? Are you new to GAF? This isn't gamefaqs. You don't like what I'm saying, tough shit, troll.

Ok, you're right. I was being harsh. I apologize for giving you grief. Let's just move on!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Preordered based on the last topic being bumped with info. Really enjoyed the Penumbra games so I'm hoping this delivers the goods. I haven't checked anybody's spoilers but it sounds like it's doing a decent job already. Like it!

Max

I am not Max
blackmamba707 said:
any cheap scares in Amnesia or Penumbra? I sooo hate them :lol
No. Play the demo, you'll see what kind of scary it is

Edit: Pre-order is 20% off on Steam by the way

Top Bottom