• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

cj_iwakura

BLOG_AMPLITUDE_1280X788_001A-640x394.jpg

• Developer & Publisher: Harmonix / SCEA
  • Platforms: PS4 (PS3: Spring 2016)
  • Genre: Rhythm Game
  • Distribution: Download, 2.3GB (US PSN Link)
  • Price: $19.99 [US] | TBA [EU]

Amplitude features a single player campaign presented as a 15-song sci-fi concept album with a narrative that surfaces through the game’s visuals, music, and lyrics. Take a trip through the expansive human mind as you seek to awaken your comatose patient and expand her perceptions.

Amplitude also sports multiplayer for up to four players, supporting free-for-all competition, team vs. team play, or cooperative score-chasing. The requisite leaderboards are also present for bragging rights as well as self-validation or humiliation, depending on your skill level.

With a soundtrack of over 30 songs, Amplitude includes music from exciting artists such as Darren Korb (Transistor), C418 (Minecraft), Danny Baranowsky (Crypt of the Necrodancer), Insomniac Games, and Freezepop, Kickstarter backers, and music lovingly crafted by Harmonix’s talented in-house composers.

Songlist
“All The Time” – C418
“Assault on Psychofortress” – Single White Infidel
“Astrosight” – Inter:sect Ft. Noelle LeBlanc & Naoko Takamoto
“Break for Me” – James Landino Ft. Noelle LeBlanc
“Concept” – Symbion Project
“Crazy Ride” – Insomniac Games
“Crypteque (1-2)” – Danny Baranowsky (from Crypt of the Necrodancer)
“Crystal” – George & Jonathan
“Dalatecht” – Harmonix
“Decode Me” – Inter:sect Ft. Noelle LeBlanc & Naoko Takamoto
“Digital Paralysis” – Harmonix
“Do Not Retreat” – Komputer Kontroller
“Dreamer” – Harmonix
“Energize” – Harmonix
“Entomophobia” – M-Cue
“Force Quit” – Jim Guthrie
“Human Love” – Harmonix
“I.C.U.” – Harmonix
“Impossible” – Darren Korb (from Transistor)
“Lights” – Wolfgun
“Magpie” – Harmonix
“Muze (Amplitude Remix)” – Ingrid Lukas, Remix by Patrik Zosso and Nik Bärtsch
“Perfect Brain” – Harmonix
“Phantoms” – Freezepop
“Recession” – Jeff Allen Ft. Noelle LeBlanc & Naoko Takamoto
“Red Giant” – Kodomo (Chris Child)
“Supraspatial” – Jeff Allen Ft. Naoko Takamoto
“Synthesized” – Symbion Project
“Unfinished Business” – Michiru Yamane w/ Shiohito Taki & Junichi Kamiunten
“Wayfarer” – Harmonix
“Wetware” – Harmonix

Series History
frequency-usa.jpg
amplitude-eua.jpg

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/freq/frequency.htm
(c/o yours truly)

Review Thread

Screens

Launch Trailer
Crypteque Preview

I may add score challenges and/or player lists if desire warrants.

epmode

I was a big fan of Frequency and the original Amplitude so I backed this. I just tried expert mode for a bit and I honestly *hate* the PS4 trigger for this game. It's ruining everything :(

I guess I'd have the same problem with the PS3 version, right?

cj_iwakura

I was a big fan of Frequency and the original Amplitude so I backed this. I just tried expert mode for a bit and I honestly *hate* the PS4 trigger for this game. It's ruining everything :(

Can't you play with the face buttons? I mastered the first two games that way.

its really, really difficult to score well on higher difficulties using facebuttons in frequency/amplitude. I dunno about this one- the analog triggers being garbage for this kind of game was definitely a concern when I heard about the ps4 edition.

Ravidrath

“Unfinished Business” – Shiohito Taki & Junichi Kamiunten

Not sure if this is the correct way to credit this?

The song is composed by Michiru Yamane and much of the track is her.The other two were friends she brought in to add real sax accompaniment to her synth work.

This is exactly why I didn't back this game. I knew this would be an issue.

desmax

Never played the PS2 games, so it's my first time with the series.

I keep pressing L2 instead of L1, and I can't find a way to remap buttons.
Oh well, I'm getting used to it.

Game is pretty good so far

cj_iwakura

Not sure if this is the correct way to credit this?

The song is composed by Michiru Yamane and much of the track is her.The other two were friends she brought in to add real sax accompaniment to her synth work.

I quoted it straight from an article. I'll fix it.

Ravidrath

I quoted it straight from an article. I'll fix it.

Yeah, I think this is a problem with how Harmonix is crediting it, not you. I shot them an e-mail to check in case it's wrong and so we can fix it in a patch.

But a note that it's Yamane in here would be good! Since people here know her and not the other two.

Famassu

I personally have zero problems with R2.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I think this is a problem with how Harmonix is crediting it, not you. I shot them an e-mail to check in case it's wrong and so we can fix it in a patch.

But a note that it's Yamane in here would be good! Since people here know her and not the other two.

I don't like how the originals are credited as 'Harmonix' instead of whoever did it. I'll update that as soon as I know.

Still sad we didn't get at least one BT track, he's the biggest DJ to be involved in both games that wasn't in-house.
(He's also my favorite composer ever.)

Reposting from an earlier thread:

I highly recommend the control scheme Upper Hand as it maps left blast to L1, middle blast to square or cross, and right blast to R1 which makes the most sense to my mind and you don't have to move your fingers (except for boost which is circle or triangle) or rely on the right trigger which has a bit more give than you need for this game.

I also highly recommend Freq mode as soon as you finish campaign. I think the tunnel looks cooler than the highway and it's easier to get around.

KiraXD

its really, really difficult to score well on higher difficulties using facebuttons in frequency/amplitude. I dunno about this one- the analog triggers being garbage for this kind of game was definitely a concern when I heard about the ps4 edition.

The Ultimate way to play Frequency/Amplitude/Amplitude 2.0
UoVxv72.jpg

Put your left thumb on the dpad though...
This is the fastest way to press the buttons and the layout helps your brain when blasting left/middle/right gems... the only games ive ever held a controller weird for... all on highest difficulty.

Will0827

I hope that some licensed tracks make their way via DLC, it's great to have the game back and now with things like DLC i assume it makes it easier to approach recording owners as far as money goes. Would love to replay some of the tracks from the OG game. Never got frequency only played the demo an insane amount of times that came with the PS2 online adapter. Jungle bros.

cj_iwakura

I hope that some licensed tracks make their way via DLC, it's great to have the game back and now with things like DLC i assume it makes it easier to approach recording owners as far as money goes. Would love to replay some of the tracks from the OG game. Never got frequency only played the demo an insane amount of times that came with the PS2 online adapter. Jungle bros.

Frequency has the best overall songlist, easily. I enjoy every song.

Amplitude has the highest highs(Nitro Narcosis, Kimosabe, Shades of Blue), but it has some garbage too.

The Ultimate way to play Frequency/Amplitude/Amplitude 2.0
UoVxv72.jpg

Put your left thumb on the dpad though...
This is the fastest way to press the buttons and the layout helps your brain when blasting left/middle/right gems... the only games ive ever held a controller weird for... all on highest difficulty.

Yuppp. That's how I play. I lean the controller on a tilt, pressed against my thigh/knee.

HUGE fan of the PS2 and from what I've played, I'm loving this new one.

Guess Who

Banned
Clearly the solution to the trigger problem is to play the PS3 version with a DualShock 2 using a PS2 controller adapter.

KiraXD

Clearly the solution to the trigger problem is to play the PS3 version with a DualShock 2 using a PS2 controller adapter.

i seriously think the triggers shouldnt be used at all... even DS3 has too much squish.

give my layout a try... it looks weird... but i guarantee it will completely change the game for you.

Fireye

I've been playing this off and on since the early access codes came out in late december. I was surprised at how much I liked the in-house track list, a bunch of them remind me a lot of IIDX songs (as someone mentioned earlier). It plays very smoothly, the highlights so far have been:

Good:
* In-house music is surprisingly good
* The "seek to the next available track' feature makes going from one side of the screen to the other a lot easier
* The Freq mode is really nice, it helps since you can pick an angle that lets you see your track more, or see upcoming tracks more easily
* Powerups, while not innovative, are pretty useful
* Multiplayer is fun, and you can really deny other people a combo if you want to

Bad:
* The music isn't very diverse
* The Insomniac anniversary song, my roommate broke out laughing when the freestyle breakdown happened.
* Multiplayer powerups are powerful, they can deny another play a track, confuse them, and depending on the song can result in a lot period of abuse. I've gotten (nearly in a row) Cleanse --> Distortion --> Cleanse --> Eject... and used them. It isn't fun being on the receiving end of that.
* Powerups can be hard to see. The display for them is stuck on the ass-end of your blaster, and if I'm really into an intense part of the game, glancing down at a small icon just isn't happening.
* Gameplay is tied to PSN. If PSN shits the bucket, your game gets paused and you get a "Can't communicate with PSN" full-screen message. You can go back to the game, but if you're stuck in the middle of an intense phrase, restarting is usually best.
* Where the hell is the Anamanaguchi song?

I'm happy with the game, and I really, REALLY hope that they end up doing some DLC in the future.

Reposting from an earlier thread:

I highly recommend the control scheme Upper Hand as it maps left blast to L1, middle blast to square or cross, and right blast to R1 which makes the most sense to my mind and you don't have to move your fingers (except for boost which is circle or triangle) or rely on the right trigger which has a bit more give than you need for this game.

I also highly recommend Freq mode as soon as you finish campaign. I think the tunnel looks cooler than the highway and it's easier to get around.
I switched to these and it feels a lot more intuitive, Good advice.

Mikey Jr.

Face buttons seems easier to me, but it seems like if i dont learn triggers now, then it is going to handicap me at the harder levels.

Agree?

Also break for me and ICU, best songs so far.

Will0827

Frequency has the best overall songlist, easily. I enjoy every song.

Amplitude has the highest highs(Nitro Narcosis, Kimosabe, Shades of Blue), but it has some garbage too.

Ahhh shades of blue, I'll be content with just that song. I remember the day i 100% the song took me years. Never was able to do it again after but man feeling was great.

rec0ded1

beat campaign and got the
bad ending? didnt wake up from coma
. it's fun and cool visually but the soundtrack just made me want to play frequency and amplitude on the ps2 instead. wish I had kept a crt around.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just completed the campaign and it's not a bad game by any means, but man, I didn't enjoy those campaign songs at all (aside from "I.C.U.")

oggob

I thought I would do some collating on the issues around at the moment... This is valid at 1200 AEST (+10GMT), I am not an official source, but this is just what I've been reading on the internet and so forth, most issues I think are covered, but if I have missed something, sorry!

Backerkit Codes should have been sent out.

Codes NOT Received
Check your emails, look for an email from Harmonix with the header...
"New Digital Content for Amplitude on BackerKit"

There should be direct link to the Backer Kit page and the code.

Still no code?
Then I do not know, you really will have to lodge a query with Harmonix via the Kickstarter page.

Codes NOT Working
This seems to be a EU problem, specifically related to countries that aren't the UK or DE (a few German people seem to have been able to have theirs work)

The game not being on the store isn't the problem, the problem is simply the code received is not valid for the region of your primary PSN account that you are redeeming it for. If you attempted to redeem the code on a UK account it should work, this is not recommended because if there is DLC, then you will likely need to buy the DLC from that same region.

This was raised with early backers and Harmonix should have known then the wider backer release would have the same issues as they would have "ordered" a batch of codes from Sony at the same time and not separately.

Harmonix has noted they are "working with Sony" over the Christmas/Holiday period to have this resolved, we haven't received any additional official update on the matter.

Codes Redeemed, Where is my Game?
Only the PS4 version is available for download, the PS3 version will follow shortly after the release. This was announced back on August 1st, with Kickstarter update #35
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude/posts/1289190

Please note, the codes are Crossbuy, your code grants you both the PS4 AND PS3 version, redeeming it now is completely fine and the PS3 version of the game will be either "Free" when it launches and you just have to "buy" it to complete the transaction OR the game will be added to your download list.

Why did I get a code for a different region
Check what you listed on the BackerKit page, the region you selected, if there is an issue, then contact Harmonix via the Kickstarter page.

If they match, then you made a mistake, still contact Harmonix via the Kickstarter page.

Other Digital Rewards
I Believe I read somewhere they are looking to roll them out in the coming days also, but at the moment, they don't seem to be available, the assumption is that you would access them via the BackerKit and/or another email will be sent out about it.

Other Physical Rewards
No new info, in the future at some point...

Is the game out?
Yes, it's on the US store (the AU store also and most EU territories also)

''Right, sorry to keep you waiting. Unfortunately there have been some last-minute issues with the Amplitude publish. It will go live in the following regions today: Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, New Zealand, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom. You should see it on your Store any moment now.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...vals-world-of-tanks-beta-more/#comment-692891

Exclusions exist to anyone not listed above.

Does that mean I can actually buy it now, even though I am still waiting my Backer Code to be resolved?
Yep!

My 2 cents :
I have the game since 2 weeks ago.

-The harmonix tracks are the best of this game. very few of the original songs remain fun during the whole song.

-I can't the triggers , i'm using the faces buttons at low difficulty , my Arcade stick for advanced and beyond ( work well that way )

-Some of the special effects of the game can be really weird depending on your Tv setup. many of the effects are really bright and sudden...Consider tweaking your setting if you plan long sessions ( this game tires my eyes quite fast )

-Overall , this game is one i'm glad to have backed.

-I kinda want some DLC songs , harmonix.. as long as those are good choices i'll jump.

bounchfx

when is this hitting pc? i backed it day 1 and still haven't gotten a code in my email :(

edit: just saw the post 2 up... did this not even come out on pc? what did I pay for? am I going insane
edit 2: i am crazy. for some reason i thought I was getting this on PC and was waiting so fucking long. "Estimated delivery: Mar 2015". Lol kickstarter.

time to grab this on ps4

Guess Who

Banned
when is this hitting pc? i backed it day 1 and still haven't gotten a code in my email :(

edit: just saw the post 2 up... did this not even come out on pc? what did I pay for? am I going insane

It was never for PC. Sony owns the Amplitude brand.

medze

Gameplay has been solid but man... I haven't enjoyed a single song from the campaign yet. The music is disappointingly bad

Synless

As a backer for this game I have to say I am disappointed in the music variety. Frequency and Amplitude both offered a wide variety of genres and it worked great. I am hoping there is some dlc that comes out to fix this though I would have preferred it had been done correctly the first time.

I am not saying I don't like the music in the game, I do. There just isn't enough variety.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've had it for two weeks but I haven't played it. I think I liked the idea of backing the game more than the game itself.

Gandalf

Don't know if it's a glitch or not, spent 15 quid on it, but it's saying "Timed Trial" on the game page, on the PS Store (on the PS4 itself). Only noticed after I paid.

I haven't paid for trial? Surely.

Top Bottom