• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer is co-writing a movie with Jennifer Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those criticisms were bullshit then and they're bullshit now.

Comedy is comedy. The good ones always manage to make a point out of it - see Dave Chappelle's "How Old is Fifteen Really?" bit. But that isn't always the case, nor should be it - again, see Dave Chappelle's countless jokes about Mexicans that don't serve any purpose other than to make people laugh.
Dave Chappelle's "How Old is Fifteen" bit was about highlighting how hypocritical and racist our justice system is when it comes to trying black teens as adults. Comparing it to Schumer's cheap joke about all Mexicans being rapists is a stretch at best. I'm part Mexican and I found her joke to be massively fucked up. I don't need some blonde white celebrity making people think that the browner half of my family are all rapists, thanks, and I don't appreciate you telling me that not liking that characterization is "bullshit." Maybe you can read up on this more and think about it, and why she ultimately decided to apologize.
It's okay to make jokes about race that just make people laugh. I would characterize that joke as something a bit worse than that.

Keep in mind, I went to go see Trainwreck and have watched (and enjoyed) her show after this joke was made, but it deserved the calling out. It's not a big deal when things get called out - it's often quite constructive, once defensive white people stop reflexively trying to shut down the conversation.

Is this the new variation on "I'm not the only one who thinks so, lots of people agree with me"?
Ah, I haven't seen a good butthurt defense of a 6 rating in awhile. Thanks for that.

karobit

Ah, I haven't seen a good butthurt defense of a 6 rating in awhile. Thanks for that.

I mean, you still haven't. I haven't seen Trainwreck and I have no opinion on its quality. I was merely wondering why you were using that rhetorical device when you were giving your opinion about it. It seemed weird. You don't need to rely on a crowd-sourced opinion of a film to backup your opinion of it. Have more faith in yourself.

Is this a "Highlander"-situation? There can be only one?
No, but comparisons are a thing. When you see multiple other people doing what Schumer is doing better then she is then I don't really see the point in watching Schumer, or see what's wrong with pointing out that she's not very good at it compared to her contemporaries.

I also think you missed the larger point of the post, which was that it's dumb to automatically jump to the conclusion that someone doesn't like female comedians, or doesn't like female comedians doing sex jokes, just because they think one female comedian who leans heavily on sex jokes does said sex jokes poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom