• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An actual Games on Demand sale next week! $4/$5 games! Finally Microsoft!

There is at least a hundred more games that should be on that list. Games on Demand could be huge if they gave a fuck about it.

Mmmm hmmm... but what better way to test the market and see what kind of reaction they might get to sales like this than to actually run some sales like this on titles that are basically dead?

Then, they can look at the sales and say "gee, maybe we should do more of that" and then they do! Cuz they like money! And then more and more games will show up on similar promotions.

Dat anger @ market testing. Dayum.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, having a lot of trouble downloading/purchasing Kameo. Temporarily living in France, so my Dutch account wasnt allowed to buy anything. Then VPN-ed to the Netherlands and bought it on Xbox.com, only to find out that my account was still handing out licenses to my RROD 360. Managed to bring the permissions to my new one, but when the download reached 99% I got a "could not download" error. Doing a retry, but if that doesnt help, any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure you need to use a Netherlands VPN to download the last 1% percent. I know this because my Dead Rising 2 Case Zero got stuck in 99% percent too, i'm pretty sure once i use a US VPN (fuck you MS for your shitty region restrictions!) i would be able to play the game i bought.
I want to buy Rockstar Table Tennis but i'm slightly worried about getting into trouble for bypassing the region restrictions.

mrgone

So it's a mostly terrible list of games, and some of the only ones that are somewhat worthwhile aren't available to Canadian customers, or are twice the price. I guess it won't be too difficult to find a used copy of Kameo for $5. Eat shit, Microsoft.

fernoca

Interesting that it ended been the 'Forgotten Sands' game and not the '2008' Prince of Persia game. I liked Forgotten Sands more than the other, heck I 1000'd it; but won't be buying it for that same reason.

Got Kameo and thinking on getting Perfect Dark Zero just to have some Rare love on my 360. :p

C4Lukins

Any impressions on Facebreaker? Looks like a fun boxing game in an arcadey, goofy sort of way.

Based on the demo, Facebreaker was really bad. Not something I even enjoyed for free.

I have downloaded 5 games now, and this Tornado game which I never knew existed is a lot of fun. Only one I have played so far. Very Katamari. You are a tornado, you pick up smaller objects, the tornado gets bigger, then you can pick up bigger objects. It is slightly more complex then Katamari as you move through it, and lacks the charm, but still for 5 bucks it is a very simple fun game. I recommend it to everyone who just enjoys solid gameplay.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Everyone here saying Conan is alright in this thread is crazy. Just played the demo and it was some terrible shit.

Only games on that list that are possibly worth the price are Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo.

Only games on that list that are possibly worth the price are Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo.

I got Tornado Outbreak and feel it's worth the $5. It's a fairly simple Katamari-like game. The main negatives people will spot right away is that it's a bit ugly and cartoony and has a Saturday morning cartoon story but just skip past that and focus on the destruction and it's enjoyable. There's a secondary goal that while growing larger in each level there's things you have to collect to enter the ending portal and trying to chain those can actually be really enjoyable to give you a bit more to do aside from just trying to get as big as possible. Even then I've had a great time just devastating each level.

I'm sure you can rush through and beat it in about three or four hours but there's more to do if you really want to in the sense that there's things to find and collect using abilities you gain later and you could probably get all but one of the achievements (970 points) fairly easily. The last achievement is only for those that REALLY love the game.

Still, easily feels like it's worth $5. Just look past the simple graphics (not like Katamari itself is a looker, so fans of that shouldn't be too annoyed) and it's a good enough time.

C4Lukins

Everyone here saying Conan is alright in this thread is crazy. Just played the demo and it was some terrible shit.

I doubt you have played most of these games.

My view on things.

Alone in the Dark: I hate this game.
Faecbreaker: Just terrible.
Kameo: Excellent game. I am still not sure why it got the initial negative reception it did.
PDZ: Decent singleplayer, not great by any means, and awesome multiplayer. Worth your 5 bucks either way even if it feels a bit dated.
Rockstar Table Tennis: Plays a lot like a Virtua Tennis game, but it is Ping Pong. The graphics were amazing for its time, not so much now. Again easily worth 5 bucks. A very solid game, but not deep enough to justify a 40 dollar retail game.
GRAW: A really good game when it was released. Not sure if the multiplayer even exists anymore, but the single player is really good on its own.
Tornado Outbreak: I mentioned this one a couple of posts up. Get it for 5 bucks.
Viva Pinata Party Animals: I think it is as good as most Mario Party games, which is not saying much. I would recommend Fuzion Frenzy 2 over it. Easy achievements though.

The rest of the games I have not played yet.

fernoca

Forgotten Sands people! Forgotten...like the thing people did back when it was released because of "lol movie-cash with Jake Gyllenhaal WTF!!".

Yep, that!!

:p

Awesome game actually. May not be the "classic" of last gen's Prince of Persia games (to some); but still great..and looks awesome too. The final sequence/battle was quite great too.

DJ_Lae

You picked probably the least loved of all of the PoP games to start with. I hope you have fun with it, I am downloading it as well.

I really enjoyed it. It's not a difficult game but the platforming's less automated than the cel shaded PoP and some of the mechanics you employ while leaping around are quite satisfying.

Combat's shallow, though the best thing that can be said there is that at least it's quick, unlike Sands of Time. The game is also quite short.

I really enjoyed it. It's not a difficult game but the platforming's less automated than the cel shaded PoP and some of the mechanics you employ while leaping around are quite satisfying.

Combat's shallow, though the best thing that can be said there is that at least it's quick, unlike Sands of Time. The game is also quite short.

And for those that care for the sort of thing, you can get 1000/1000 achievements in a single playthrough as long as you know what achievements there are and focus on them as you play.

Man my download speeds are so bad, I dont lag or anything online but man a little 3 gb somethin takes nearly 10 hours....do I have to call my isp or something?

nearly jumped for joy upon seeing ninja gaiden 2 today on games on demand. immediately did a WHAT THE HELL at the 44.99 price tag. REALLY Microsoft???

Eusis

nearly jumped for joy upon seeing ninja gaiden 2 today on games on demand. immediately did a WHAT THE HELL at the 44.99 price tag. REALLY Microsoft???
Probably Tecmo Koei's call, not Microsoft's. A lot of other games, Microsoft or otherwise, are way more reasonably priced.

I would love to know how they decide on the pricing, has anyone ever pressed them on the issue? I see lots of "journalists" whining endlessly about GoD prices, yet I never see any of them asking MS why.

i would also like to know how games are chosen for the service. I've been waiting for Left 4 Dead or Dead Island, but there doesn't apper to be any indication that either title is coming soon. kind of frustrating....

C4Lukins

Good to hear. It always seemed to be dismiised as a movie game, and not a true POP game. Maybe I will give it a shot.

C4Lukins

The 50 cent game is still 59.99. You can only blame MS for first party games. EA has been quick to reduce prices. First party games are decently priced. But some of the other third parties are just letting it ride. The Platinum Games, and I mean the developer I think are 19.99. Most EA games that are more then a year old are 19.99 to 29.99. Most MS games are 19.99 to 29.99. I would have to look but I think most of the Capcom games are decently priced as well. THQ, Activision, WB, and a few other consistantly do not have good deals on their 360 On Demand games.

Jay Sosa

So you're saying you have different taste in games? Shocking

I paid 5€ for PDZ (in store) when I bought it bout 4 years a go and still was pissed I wasted any money on this crappy game. So we're both wrong..now what?

Oh and I didn't say Conan is just alright, I basically said I had more fun with it than with GoW! That's even more crazy!

It's pretty funny that the price for PDZ, for example, is 69 SEK in Sweden, but it's only 480MSP. 480MSP does not equal 69 SEK at all. 500MSP on XBL cost 56.50 SEK.

EDIT: Rockstar Table Tennis is 49SEK/480MSP. That makes it more expensive to pay with points. Way to think things through, MS.

Derrick01

Banned
You picked probably the least loved of all of the PoP games to start with. I hope you have fun with it, I am downloading it as well.

I stared at this post for a good 3 minutes trying to figure out if it was sarcasm or not, only to realize you meant Forgotten Sands instead.

IMO FS is the 2nd best of the modern prince of persia games behind Sands of Time obviously. The game is basically SoT 1.5, not innovative enough to be a direct sequel but it's more like an expansion pack to Sands.

Il tempted by
Sega Tennis
FaceBreaker
Dark Void

Worth the points?

Sega Tennis is fun to a point but then gets stupid-hard and you never feel like you have quite as much control as you'd have in, say, Virtua Tennis. Some of the shots are literally impossible to return which never feels quite fair.

Facebreaker has impossible achievements due to EA server fun.

Sega Tennis is fun to a point but then gets stupid-hard and you never feel like you have quite as much control as you'd have in, say, Virtua Tennis. Some of the shots are literally impossible to return which never feels quite fair.

Yup, watching the GF play it earlier and it looked pretty frustrating.

Some of the mini games looked fun though.

Really enjoying sega tennis, going to pick up a points card later and get tornado outbreak and 3 other titles. Its about time I can fill up my 250 gig drive.

Eusis

didn't Microsoft publish NG2?
I think they may have co-published, and at any rate it's Tecmo Koei's property, not Microsoft's. They likely have a deal worked out where Tecmo Koei has a say in how the game is sold and whatnot.

Plus come on, do you think any company like Microsoft would seriously want to sell the latest installments to primer series like Halo or Gears of War for LESS than something that's older and far less successful? I guess it's possible someone at Microsoft's being insane about judging prices, but I highly doubt it.

fernoca

Well, also got Perfect Dark Zero. :)

A word of warning:
The digital version includes the patch/update and both map packs (6 additional maps and variants); so no need to download anything else.

The patch included:
Code to prevent an ongoing problem where players could walk through the air, an issue where some weapons could make use of rapid fire, and a map-exiting glitch, among others. On the other hand, the new multiplayer options provide seven additional new bot types and the ability to use bots in DarkOps matches, since bots had only one AI variant and were only available in DeathMatch scenarios when the game was released.

The extra maps are:
Map Pack One: Plaza, Rooftops, Trench, GasPlant
Map Pack Two (which is free): Facility and Ruin.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cant you like, gift them to me or something?

Actually, it is possible to gift somebody points if they're derived from an unused code (i.e. you're essentially gifting the code and the points attached to it), however points already redeemed cannot be transferred to another account, so you're out of luck. :p

painey

So I'm from England and so is my Xbox live account. I'm now living in the States, with a USA console. When I try to buy the games, it says I my console does not match my region and the game cannot be bought. Is there any way around this? I'll be fucking fuming if I cant get my PoP for 480ms

Sordid

So I'm from England and so is my Xbox live account. I'm now living in the States, with a USA console. When I try to buy the games, it says I my console does not match my region and the game cannot be bought. Is there any way around this? I'll be fucking fuming if I cant get my PoP for 480ms

Can you buy the games from the web marketplace?

painey

I worry that if I buy them online and then go to my Xbox they wont download, and I will still have been charged

Top Bottom