• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Experiment: How Important is NeoGAF?

crops55

Honestly, I didn't even know GamePro was still in print. I feel like Neogaf is important to the people that read it. Any external significance beyond that is wishful thinking and a mutilated ego from too much verbal masturbation. Although if I had a 360 I would buy this game because it's a cool idea and worthwhile experiment.

Finguo

Thanks to toysthatkill's recommendation I tried the demo, enjoyed it and bought the game for a measly 80 points :D . It's 100% pure, simple fun. I had almost forgotten how that feels, due to camera issues, choppy framerates and messy button configurations in most big-budget games I've played recently. The music is awesome, too.
Though, I suck tremendously at this game :lol. Is it just me or are the controls a bit too sensitive?
But still, it's very addictive. Will post about it on facebook later (though none of my friends have a 360).

Glass Joe

The logic in this thread is flawed. It's more about toythatkills' influence on GAF than GAF's influence on the industry. I suppose for a buck or a free trial, it'd be worth checking out, but I clicked this thread expecting a different sort of discussion (i.e. not product advertisement).

Certainly, there have been games that have been discussed/hyped to high heaven on here that got me to give them an otherwise blind purchase. I've come to trust NeoGAF's forums more than any game review, and I'd just have to point you to the iPod/iPhone thread to show you several real-life examples of me doing this. However, these purchases have been made at the recommendations of several well-spoken (written?) individuals, not just one. This thread works more as toythatkills selling the game to GAF, than GAF selling the game to the world.

Glass Joe said:
The logic in this thread is flawed. It's more about toythatkills' influence on GAF than GAF's influence on the industry. I suppose for a buck or a free trial, it'd be worth checking out, but I clicked this thread expecting a different sort of discussion (i.e. not product advertisement).
A fair point.

Glass Joe said:
This thread works more as toythatkills selling the game to GAF, than GAF selling the game to the world.
It was the only place to start, really. I'd hoped that GAF would like the game enough to want to tell people about it and it seems like everyone that's tried it has indeed liked it.

It just kinda didn't move on the next step, which was GAF selling it to the world! I'm not sure how you'd motivate GAF to do that, I hoped the quality of the game would be enough.

Glass Joe

toythatkills said:
A fair point.

It was the only place to start, really. I'd hoped that GAF would like the game enough to want to tell people about it and it seems like everyone that's tried it has indeed liked it.

It just kinda didn't move on the next step, which was GAF selling it to the world! I'm not sure how you'd motivate GAF to do that, I hoped the quality of the game would be enough.

I'm assuming you're just a fan of the game with no other ties to it, but it came off as possible viral marketing to me. The experiment can still be: How does a thread about an unknown game on GAF affect sales?

Yes Boss!

I dunno. This game rocks and I'm glad it was brought up here. In fact it should be mentioned in the Shoot The Core thread so it gets seen. I like this one quite a bit more than Shoot 1Up.

Also, the creator of this game has a thread at Shmups Forum so we could ask him there if sales have improved. Also, he is at the XNA board, as well.

nli10

It's in the best seller chart on the new, new dashboard so maybe there is some movement.

Guess the biggest metric for spreading is the number of places that only do a few indie reviews that pick it up (Edge?)

shuri

Banned
I can't find a worksafe picture of a guy self-fellating himself, or perhaps a circle-jerk picture to post in this thread.

Coupla posts from twitter

86 downloads, 46 purchases, and a 53% conversion rate for October 1 Hypership sales.
From a couple of sales the day before. Turns out we can't make that much difference, but 46 more people are enjoying the game which is still cool.

Also moved up a lot in the ratings... from in the 60's somewhere to 47. Which is good enough to be on Top Rated on the new dashboard.
Rating the game is GOOD!

giggas

Bought Hypership thanks to this thread and spent a good amount of time playing it this weekend. I really, really like it. I've made it to the 9th Wave (out of I'm assuming 10) and unlocked about half of the Awardments or whatever they're called here.

Oh, the key to getting good at this game is figuring out how to use the quick dodge with the bumper buttons. Things all of a sudden fall into place once you grasp that.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, really cool game!

I know I'm way late to the party but thanks to everyone that supported Hypership (I couldn't reply here at the time this thread was made because I was waiting for my account to be approved still). The sales from this thread did help and the support is appreciated.

If you want to continue to support Hypership, we'll be releasing a new version on iOS next week. I'm hoping we find more success there than we did on XBLIG.

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow, that's awesome. It feels great to be part of a community that can help indie developers in even a semi-impactful way. Next time I log onto XBL I'll definitely check the game out.

FunInfusedGames said:
I know I'm way late to the party but thanks to everyone that supported Hypership (I couldn't reply here at the time this thread was made because I was waiting for my account to be approved still). The sales from this thread did help and the support is appreciated.

If you want to continue to support Hypership, we'll be releasing a new version on iOS next week. I'm hoping we find more success there than we did on XBLIG.
Very nice. I'd love to see the influence in graph form.

SmokyDave

FunInfusedGames said:

I'll keep my peepers peeled for the iOS version, congrats on the success so far :)

Edit: It would be worth you popping a post in The iOS Gaming Topic when it releases. Self-promotion is cool as long you pop a disclaimer on the post that you're self-promoting.

teamaxe

I can't believe how awesome Volition is. I knew that they were awesome, but I completely missed the Ostrich thing.

Secondly, I will buy this game on iOS when it comes out.

Very nice. I'd love to see the influence in graph form.

Check out the below link, set the game name to Hypership. You can see the increase because of this thread starting at 10/1/2010.

http://www.funinfused.com/SalesGraph.aspx

The sales increase wasn't huge, I suspect it amounted to between 100-200 sales but the support everyone game me here meant a lot more. I could have been down because of low sales but it really raised my spirits a lot hearing about so many people enjoying the game and willing to help out.

Given how well Hypership has been received, I really think it will do better on iOS. Especially with real leaderboards (it uses Game Center) and new graphics, the iOS version is the best version of the game.

FunInfusedGames said:
Check out the below link, set the game name to Hypership. You can see the increase because of this thread starting at 10/1/2010.

http://www.funinfused.com/SalesGraph.aspx

The sales increase wasn't huge, I suspect it amounted to between 100-200 sales but the support everyone game me here meant a lot more. I could have been down because of low sales but it really raised my spirits a lot hearing about so many people enjoying the game and willing to help out.

Given how well Hypership has been received, I really think it will do better on iOS. Especially with real leaderboards (it uses Game Center) and new graphics, the iOS version is the best version of the game.
That's pretty interesting, thanks. I wish the iOS version of Hypership the best, and I think you're right in that it will do much better than the XBLIG version.

Top Bottom