• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sera O

Banned
Oh jeez, (impulse shoppers, highlight at your own risk)
that price on the lamy 2000 brushed steel version on massdrop is hard to ignore :O

I'll just warm my creaking fingers over a candle while scratching away, like mickey mouse in the christmas carol. So long, sweater fund.

Now I've been playing with this fpr dilli. I love it. My favorite so far. I'll be using this the most for sure. I'm going to buy lots of ink to use it with :3

The downside I'm sure will be cleaning it out. I can't imagine that's going to be fun :(

I remember reading this thread a year ago. It inspired me to get a lamy safari and I'm so glad I did. Makes all my writing for school so much more pleasant. Thanks Bagels!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, I've used my safari for a couple years now and adore it so I want to upgrade to another Lamy but the vanishing point feels super nice also. Maybe they'll have it on sale again soon.

I ADORE my Vanishing Point. That's the best pen I own. Massdrop has it for $105 right now, which is a great price (use this link to sign up and I maybe get free stuff!! The 2000 pops up on Massdrop pretty regularly, too. I've never used one, but I do like my Safaris...

Hey, Aliquidmeri - glad you've gotten some enjoyment out of it! It's a simple pleasure, but one you can engage in all throughout the day. I dunno - getting into pens and paper has been absolutely wonderful for me, and I'm glad other people have found it all fun, too!

Now that I have moved, I'll work on my Hobonichi Techo thread. After that...who knows?

I ADORE my Vanishing Point. That's the best pen I own. Massdrop has it for $105 right now, which is a great price (use this link to sign up and I maybe get free stuff!! The 2000 pops up on Massdrop pretty regularly, too. I've never used one, but I do like my Safaris...

Hey, Aliquidmeri - glad you've gotten some enjoyment out of it! It's a simple pleasure, but one you can engage in all throughout the day. I dunno - getting into pens and paper has been absolutely wonderful for me, and I'm glad other people have found it all fun, too!

Now that I have moved, I'll work on my Hobonichi Techo thread. After that...who knows?

"1 MINUTE LEFT Join Now"

It's already dead which is a good thing for my wallet. I like the vanishing point but I don't like the look as much. It feels fantastic to write with though, it's what made he finally buy a fountain pen.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If only somebody in this community owned a Stargazer, some hot new ink, and could tell us all about it...

Who could that be?

Is it supposed to be good? I've never heard of it, most people jizz themselves over the Lamy 2k or the Vanishing Point at that price range.

It has been my grail pen for the past year, until some very excellent people chipped in and helped me get it (wave hi you guys~).

GpvjBq6.jpg

GrnZZbA.jpg

It's an insanely small pen, thin as can be and smaller than a TWSBI Mini when posted. But the brass body adds such perfect heft that it sits just right even in my medium-large hands. 14k gold nib writes smooth as a dream, too. It is, in my opinion, a highly underrated pen. It just doesn't have the uniqueness of the VP's click-action or the Lamy 2k's market penetration. Both of those are excellent pens, but the Stargazer deserves some love here and there.

As for that new ink ol' bagels is talkin about? Well, here's a sneak peek...

IlFih2h.jpg

Who could that be?

It has been my grail pen for the past year, until some very excellent people chipped in and helped me get it (wave hi you guys~).

GpvjBq6.jpg

GrnZZbA.jpg

It's an insanely small pen, thin as can be and smaller than a TWSBI Mini when posted. But the brass body adds such perfect heft that it sits just right even in my medium-large hands. 14k gold nib writes smooth as a dream, too. It is, in my opinion, a highly underrated pen. It just doesn't have the uniqueness of the VP's click-action or the Lamy 2k's market penetration. Both of those are excellent pens, but the Stargazer deserves some love here and there.

As for that new ink ol' bagels is talkin about? Well, here's a sneak peek...

IlFih2h.jpg
What attracted you to that pen over the others in that range? I'm not a fan of hooded nibs but those two are talked about so much and this purchase would push back a purchase of those for some time. The lack of buzz just makes me hesitant for the price.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What attracted you to that pen over the others in that range? I'm not a fan of hooded nibs but those two are talked about so much and this purchase would push back a purchase of those for some time. The lack of buzz just makes me hesitant for the price.

In all honestly, I'm mostly a Pilot fan. I love their nibs, their designs, the craftsmanship tends to be a step above. Something about the Stargazer's simplicity drew me in, just showy enough to not be an average pen but without a gaudy amount of flair. I personally can't stand pens that have bright patterns. The Lamy 2000 is a bit too industrial for my tastes, but it does look like a rather nice pen.

It was mostly irrational, personal taste which led me to choosing the Stargazer. The style and the type of imagery the name invoked made me want to root for the underdog. Doesn't help that it is indeed a very nice pen, but there are so few owners of it out there that I've seen that I can't blame you for wanting to play it safe with the L2K or VP.

In all honestly, I'm mostly a Pilot fan. I love their nibs, their designs, the craftsmanship tends to be a step above. Something about the Stargazer's simplicity drew me in, just showy enough to not be an average pen but without a gaudy amount of flair. I personally can't stand pens that have bright patterns. The Lamy 2000 is a bit too industrial for my tastes, but it does look like a rather nice pen.

It was mostly irrational, personal taste which led me to choosing the Stargazer. The style and the type of imagery the name invoked made me want to root for the underdog. Doesn't help that it is indeed a very nice pen, but there are so few owners of it out there that I've seen that I can't blame you for wanting to play it safe with the L2K or VP.
Hmm, I really love the pearl color of it. Seems its not much cheaper than the amazon price though so I might be bad off if I think about it. The one review on YouTube said the nib is increible. I do like the design and lack of hooded nib, guess aim worried about the size since I haven't owned a compact. I wonder if any stores by me carry it.

Sera O

Banned
Hmm, I really love the pearl color of it. Seems its not much cheaper than the amazon price though so I might be bad off if I think about it.

Yeah, Massdrop prices often aren't as good as I'd expect. The time waiting for stuff can be in the order of weeks, too, so checking amazon to compare is always good to do.

The Lamy 2000 steel version was like 100 bucks off the amazon price, so that was a score. I'm not sure if the price on the plastic version of the pen was similarly good.

They tend to repeat pen drops, and seem to be building a relationship with a Pilot distributor (multiple drops for parallels, metropolitans, vanishing points). It's likely those will be back again. It's cool they have started adding iroshizuku ink too.

That Herbin stormy grey is awesome!

Now I've been playing with this fpr dilli. I love it. My favorite so far. I'll be using this the most for sure. I'm going to buy lots of ink to use it with :3

The downside I'm sure will be cleaning it out. I can't imagine that's going to be fun :(

The Dilli is lots of fun. Cleaning should be easier than most pens, since you can actually take the feed and nib out to rinse out the entire pen body if you want to. In mine it was jammed in tight and took a bit of wrestling.

Take note of the original position of the feed and nib though, changing the fit will alter the ink flow. So I guess the laborious filling and refilling with water process is safest if you have hit on the perfect rate of ink flow.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
CheesecakeRecipe sent me a vial of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink - Stormy Grey as an INCREDIBLE apartment-warming gift! This make him my favorite person on Earth.

These things are so hard to capture on film, but the ink really does live up to its name. The effect is very much like seeing lightning flash behind storm clouds.

I am in love.

Goulet Pens is expecting more in December. You're going to want at least a few samples.

hobart

Posted my impression of the Stargazer back in Feb ---> See here.

It's the best nib I've used. Love love love the pen. It gets overshadowed but others at that price point. But if you like smaller pens, as I do, you really just cannot go wrong with it.

I am trying really really hard not biting on a Vanishing Point purchase. I've wanted to upgrade my office daily... and the VP just seems like... THE ONE. Christmas is close.

I really need to decide on a pilot pen. I have a lamy extra fine and I hear the fine with pilot is super thin... Not sure if they make extra fine since they seem hard to find if at all.

Nodnol

What a wonderful thread.

Fountain pens are so elegant. I insisted on using one throughout school, even at the age where chewing ink cartridges seemed like a good idea.

I really should invest in one again; my writing is noticeably superior when using one.

Sera O

Banned
FUUUUUU

LAMY 2000 on sale for $105 on massdrop...

I was leaning towards the pilot because I like really skinny nibs but I've wanted a Lamy 2000 before... I'm not sure what to get, help me guys :(

Link:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lamy-2000-fountain-pen

If you like really fine nibs, you definitely should try a pilot. My fine Vanishing Point is finer than my EF Safari - not sure if that comparison works across different lines, though. Goulet website has an area for nib comparisons so you might find good info there.

Pilot pens with EF nibs are definitely available in some lines, but not others (lower end like Prera, Metropolitan etc won't have EF).

I'd be surprised if Massdrop offered extra fine in a Pilot drop. EF in most Pilot pens is almost like a needlepoint, so there probably isn't much demand for it.

If you like really fine nibs, you definitely should try a pilot. My fine Vanishing Point is finer than my EF Safari - not sure if that comparison works across different lines, though. Goulet website has an area for nib comparisons so you might find good info there.

Pilot pens with EF nibs are definitely available in some lines, but not others (lower end like Prera, Metropolitan etc won't have EF).

I'd be surprised if Massdrop offered extra fine in a Pilot drop. EF in most Pilot pens is almost like a needlepoint, so there probably isn't much demand for it.

Nah, they don't and even big sellers like amazon don't. You have to pretty much go to pen specialty sites it seems. I really want the 2k but I'm afraid of all the QC issues and needing to pay to send it to them to fix. Really close to just buying one but I do like fine nibs since I have an EF on my safari.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I think the Namiki Falcon is my new obsession. I want that slightly-flexy nib.

I've had a lot of fun with my Noodler's flex pens (in spite of the...distinct...initial odor). I want to modify one for extra flex, but the odds that I'll F it up royally are pretty high...

AlexMogil

There is a shop in Steveston, British Columbia called Nikaido. The place really speaks to my hidden pretentious side. It's run by a husband and wife team - his name is Joe Cocker.

They carry things Bagel writes about. High quality pens and paper. They also carry a wide assortment of teas with their own store blends, Tintin collectables and greeting cards.

When I was in Vancouver I stopped by a few times and ended up with a Lamy set. I got a Lamy AL-star graphite fountain.

Joe is very patient and will make sure you understand and get what you need. He takes the time to talk to you about your purchase. Really a precious place.

I use the fountain pen for journaling to give me a "this is creative and serious" vibe as I write.

Since I'm not feeling big boy enough to actually start doing manual ink refills I bought some blue/black Monteverde ink cartridges for my Lamy Safari instead. The color is this nice smoky blue and it might just be placebo but the nib feels like it writes smoother too. Got an iroshizuku bottle with a similar shade on my holiday wishlist and I think I'll really enjoy it.

Since I'm not feeling big boy enough to actually start doing manual ink refills I bought some blue/black Monteverde ink cartridges for my Lamy Safari instead. The color is this nice smoky blue and it might just be placebo but the nib feels like it writes smoother too. Got an iroshizuku bottle with a similar shade on my holiday wishlist and I think I'll really enjoy it.
What do you mean about manual ink fills? You're just doing it like a piston fill, just twisting a knob essentially.

Does anyone have a reason to spend $100 more and get the stainless steel Lamy2000? I'm debating whether it's worth the money. It looks really nice.

MR4001

Does anyone have a reason to spend $100 more and get the stainless steel Lamy2000? I'm debating whether it's worth the money. It looks really nice.

For the exercise? The cap alone weighs the same as a complete 2000... What nib are you after on a 2000? I ask because, well - I'll keep stum for now.

Laekon

I bought a Pilot Varsity because of this thread and really like it except one thing. The lack of a grip surface and my death grip tendency make for a tiring experience if I'm writing for long. I'll be heading back to school full time and will be taking a lot of notes so this becomes a big factor. Are there any good options besides learning to relax?

I've been using Pilot G2 .7 ball point for years at work and the silicon grip area and little flair outward are really comfortable to me.

For the exercise? The cap alone weighs the same as a complete 2000... What nib are you after on a 2000? I ask because, well - I'll keep stum for now.
Sorry, missed this post before somehow. I'm looking at extra fine lamy. The finer the point the better for me so far.

I bought a Pilot Varsity three pack about 4 months ago after reading this thread, and my last one ran out of ink last week. Just got back from the mall with my new Lamy Safari (thanks to this thread) and I love it!

I like the Varsity well enough, but I didn't enjoy the thicker pen strokes (medium, I think) so I made sure to get a fine point Safari. I've compared pen thickness, and it looks to be almost the same, maybe the Safari being a sliver thinner. Should I have purchased an extra fine instead? I'm thinking I might have pressed a little too hard when I first started using it to get the ink flowing and permanently bent it or something. I was really careful, but who knows.

Another excellent purchase I made today due to this thread, a pad of Rhodia lined paper. Only $10 (was expecting more) and jesus....it feels like...I'm writing on silk. It turned writing into an experience haha. Worth it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I bought a Pilot Varsity three pack about 4 months ago after reading this thread, and my last one ran out of ink last week. Just got back from the mall with my new Lamy Safari (thanks to this thread) and I love it!

I like the Varsity well enough, but I didn't enjoy the thicker pen strokes (medium, I think) so I made sure to get a fine point Safari. I've compared pen thickness, and it looks to be almost the same, maybe the Safari being a sliver thinner. Should I have purchased an extra fine instead? I'm thinking I might have pressed a little too hard when I first started using it to get the ink flowing and permanently bent it or something. I was really careful, but who knows.

Another excellent purchase I made today due to this thread, a pad of Rhodia lined paper. Only $10 (was expecting more) and jesus....it feels like...I'm writing on silk. It turned writing into an experience haha. Worth it.

There's a size difference between nibs in the east and west. In Japan, they grind their pen nibs smaller than European nib sizes. So a fine nib for a European pen like the Lamy will be closer to a medium for a Japanese pen from Pilot. An extra-fine Lamy would be closer to a fine for Japan.

There's a size difference between nibs in the east and west. In Japan, they grind their pen nibs smaller than European nib sizes. So a fine nib for a European pen like the Lamy will be closer to a medium for a Japanese pen from Pilot. An extra-fine Lamy would be closer to a fine for Japan.

Thank you, very relieved to know I didn't break my pen the day I bought it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

It's not the finest fine nib in the universe, but if you're graduating from Varsities, a Pilot Metropolitan with fine nib is the best value in the universe. They are wonderful pens, Pilot cartridges are easy to refill with your own inks, you can swap out the nibs with many other Pilot pens, and at $15 each, you don't have to worry too much about losing them or ruining them. They're really wonderful pens!

Sera O

Banned
I bought a Pilot Varsity because of this thread and really like it except one thing. The lack of a grip surface and my death grip tendency make for a tiring experience if I'm writing for long. I'll be heading back to school full time and will be taking a lot of notes so this becomes a big factor. Are there any good options besides learning to relax?

I've been using Pilot G2 .7 ball point for years at work and the silicon grip area and little flair outward are really comfortable to me.

Super-late response, but grips are available in a lot of stationery shops or art supply stores. Some of them are just the foam cylinder type, while others have special shapes for ergonomics. They are meant to slide onto a pen/pencil for comfort.

Something like that might be worth trying. They are pretty cheap, too, and you can just move it to another pen if needed. I have an odd grip when I'm drawing, so I use one for drawing pencils - it works well.

injurai

Banned
Hey Bagels, I'm in need of a recommendations. I'd like to invest in a fountain pen, partly due to your Techo thread. Though I'd want to use it on cheap paper as well for general purpose writing.

Basically I love writing in ink, it helps me overcome writers blocks. But I'm not too fond of pens. The Zebra .7mm fine points are my goto. Typically I prefer working in .5mm lead. I use a quicker clicker 2. Something about the lead becoming angular is really attractive to me.

So basically I'm looking for something that would basically most satisfy the same joy that writing with a mechanical pencil gives. I don't want something overly exuberant for calligraphy. Potentially something I would feel find shoving in my pocket. I have a bias towards very vertical writing, though it can very depending on what I'm doing.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Hey Bagels, I'm in need of a recommendations. I'd like to invest in a fountain pen, partly due to your Techo thread. Though I'd want to use it on cheap paper as well for general purpose writing.

Basically I love writing in ink, it helps me overcome writers blocks. But I'm not too fond of pens. The Zebra .7mm fine points are my goto. Typically I prefer working in .5mm lead. I use a quicker clicker 2. Something about the lead becoming angular is really attractive to me.

So basically I'm looking for something that would basically most satisfy the same joy that writing with a mechanical pencil gives. I don't want something overly exuberant for calligraphy. Potentially something I would feel find shoving in my pocket. I have a bias towards very vertical writing, though it can very depending on what I'm doing.

I think, if this will be your first fountain pen, you should stick with some of the cheaper options. If you like that angular lead effect with a mechanical pencil (and I'm right there with you), you may really enjoy a fountain pen. There's some similarity there with the way a fountain pen nib responds to different being held at different angles.

The Pilot Metropolitan is a great pen for $15 (amazon link, but Jetpens and Gouletpens have them too). They come in F or M nob, both of which write well. It's where I recommend just about everyone start out these days. I own a bunch of Metros because I can just toss them in a bag, or carry them around in my pocket without worrying about them getting banged up. They take the same Pilot ink cartridges as any other Pilot pen (here's a set with some nice colo(u)rs), which is super convenient. They're easy to refill, or you can spring for a converter.

I have this Sailor Clear Candy (why that name?) pen and it probably feels the most mechanical-pencil-like of any of my pens. It puts down a very precise thing line. I dig it. $16.50 for a plastic body pen.

For an actual pocket fountain pen, I've been really happy with the Kaweco Sports I've owned. You can get the cheaper plastic body pens, or a pricier metal body. This is the pen I carry with me in my pocket. The cap screws on tightly over the nib and body, which both keeps it really secure and makes it nice and small. $18 for various plastic models.

I'd start with one of those pens and see how you like it. I own a few nicer pens, but I still use all three of the ones I mentioned. They're all super good deals.

As a final note, if you want to sort of split the difference between writing in pencil and using a fountain pen, there are some amazing grey inks to try. Cheesecake recipe is a huge fan of Iroshizuku Kiri-Same, while I've fallen in love with Fuyu-syogun. The both shade beautifully. If you're used to the way pencil lead shades, you can get the same effect with an ink, which is pretty great.

I almost forgot the Pilot Plumix! For less than $8, you get an italic nib pen, which will give you wonderful variation between vertical and horizontal strokes. I love the effect. Because the nib is sharp at the corners, it's a bit scratchy - very pencil-like. I love the Plumix. You can swap the nib into a Metropolitan body if you want something that looks a little nicer.

The thread finally got me. Ordered a yellow Lamy Safari EF. God help me.

I'm with you dude, I've gone off the deep end. Ordered a Lamy demonstrator EF and some sample ink, also picked up a Scheaffer medium italic pen earlier this week. I need to slow down.

BUT, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Calligraphy is so calming. Anyone in this thread want a penpal?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm with you dude, I've gone off the deep end. Ordered a Lamy demonstrator EF and some sample ink, also picked up a Scheaffer medium italic pen earlier this week. I need to slow down.

BUT, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Calligraphy is so calming. Anyone in this thread want a penpal?

Me me me me! I was just thinking about finding some penpals! Send me a PM if you want to exchange addresses! My friends will all tell you that I am the letter writing-est person in the world.

Ludovico

Quick heads up:
Massdrop is doing another Pilot Metropolitan bundle. Looking at my options right now, and it looks like two pens, 12 bucks a piece, and I'll probably get the converters added in as well.

Should I go solid or am I a bad enough dude for the animal prints?

edit - Bagels has a link floating around somewhere for his MD referrals, thought it was only fair that he gets the clicks.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Quick heads up:
Massdrop is doing another Pilot Metropolitan bundle. Looking at my options right now, and it looks like two pens, 12 bucks a piece, and I'll probably get the converters added in as well.

edit - Bagels has a link floating around somewhere for his MD referrals, thought it was only fair that he gets the clicks.

Thanks for the heads up! You can indeed reward me for getting you to waste money by using this link to Massdrop.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Me me me me! I was just thinking about finding some penpals! Send me a PM if you want to exchange addresses! My friends will all tell you that I am the letter writing-est person in the world.

This dude writes the best letters.

It will envelope you with warmth and amazing handwriting.

Quick heads up:

Depends on the Animal Prints available. I went with the bronze lizard for my first FP and I think it looks really damn good. Some of the others are just straight up gaudy though. I tend to prefer minimalism in my pen designs.

injurai

Banned
Thanks Bagels :]

The metropolitan looks wonderful, really tempted to pick up some of that fuyu-syogen as well. Looking it up, it seems it's clean cartridge is perfectly usable and actually holds more ink than the plunger types. Do I have to be care when switching between inks with a refillable cartridge? Also how fast does fountain ink typically dry? I personally despise gel pens for their smudge factor.

Ludovico

Depends on the Animal Prints available. I went with the bronze lizard for my first FP and I think it looks really damn good. Some of the others are just straight up gaudy though. I tend to prefer minimalism in my pen designs.

Thanks!
I was decided on a silver and was between that bronze and the white one for the second.
Also, I guess the converters are also included, which has been between $3-5 for my LAMY's.

Going to get one fine and one medium nib. Yay modular design!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom