• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Thanks Bagels :]

The metropolitan looks wonderful, really tempted to pick up some of that fuyu-syogen as well. Looking it up, it seems it's clean cartridge is perfectly usable and actually holds more ink than the plunger types. Do I have to be care when switching between inks with a refillable cartridge? Also how fast does fountain ink typically dry? I personally despise gel pens for their smudge factor.

Fountain pen inks do take a little longer to dry than even gel inks. Some dry a little faster than others but yeah, you have to be a bit more careful with a fountain pen. For many people, myself included, the way they write just naturally changes a tiny bit to keep their hand from smudging up the ink. I never think about it now.

I clean out my Pilot cartridges and reuse them precisely because they hold such a generous amount of ink. I just give the carts a really good rinse with water and dry them back out (either by leaving them out to air dry or twisting up a paper towel and sticking it in the cart) before I refill them. I clean my pens with water between inks as well. I also have some pen flush solution from Goulet that I use, especially if I'm going to a much lighter ink. It is handy to have at least two pens to use so you can keep writing with one while the other is being cleaned. Letting things have time soak a bit, to dry, and then taking time to wick water back out of a pen after cleaning all help things work smoothly. It's when I'm impatient that I end up covered in ink, with residual water diluting my new ink in the pen/old ink blending with the new one in ways I don't want, and everything just generally not as good as it should be.

Thanks!
I was decided on a silver and was between that bronze and the white one for the second.
Also, I guess the converters are also included, which has been between $3-5 for my LAMY's.

Going to get one fine and one medium nib. Yay modular design!!
The "white tiger" Metropolitan has really grown on me. I generally prefer the plain ones, but the pattern on the "white tiger" is subtle enough that I kind of dig it.

Sera O

Banned
I got a purple leopard metropolitan to use with the dusty purple Herbin ink. I thought the colour of the pen would be a lot brighter, but in person it is very dark. I think it looks a bit nicer than the other metros I have (white tiger, plain gold, plain silver).

DaveH

Christmas gift recipient is an artist who works primarily in digital, but also carries around a sketchbook, normal ballpoint pens, pencils, and markers. Giftee is unlikely to get "into" pens, but might appreciate a nice (like getting a Chinese brush) or functional one (if actually useful). Definitely would not appreciate spilling ink all over the sketchbook or staining pockets.

Any good gift ideas along this line or barking up the wrong tree? Spending limit $30 max.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Gouletpens monthly ink sample subscription service, InkDrop, is back up and running! They took it down while they were updating their website. I just signed back up and I *think* that subscribing now still gets you the November and December picks.

For $10 a month, ($15/month outside the US), you receive 5 of their 2mL ink samples every month, and access to special deals on full bottles of ink (at minimum, I think you used to get 10% off a full bottle of any of that month's featured inks). I think it's a very fair price (there's no additional shipping charge or anything) - even for international subscribers. You can look at all of the past ink drops and see that they aren't loading them up with cheap crap. You get a Pilot Iroshizuku just about every month, which is pretty sweet.

So here are the November and December inks (and check out her excellent blog for more ink reviews!):

Novinkdrop.jpg

I'm super excited to get these inks! Gouletpens' ink samples are already the best way to use super luxurious fancy inks on a budget. InkDrop is great because you get a steady stream of new inks to try (with no repeats during the year) and you'll get colors that you might never have considered - Like those lovely oranges in the November ink drop. I don't think I would have picked those out for myself but now that I've seen them, I really want them!

So yeah...InkDrop! You can sign up as a recurring thing, or pay for a set number of months up front. Highly recommended.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement nib for a Jinhao x450? I got one for Christmas and really how it feels in the hand but the nib leaves something to be desired. I believe it uses a #6 standard nib and I was thinking of using a goblet two tone nib.

So, what did y'all get for Christmas?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I got two calligraphy books for Christmas, both from Dover's series of art references. One is on flourishing, which is more a pointed nib thing than the broad nib blackletter stuff that I focus on, but I'm still pretty pumped. another is just a collection of various ornamental designs.

I told my mum to pick out some ink samples from Goulet pens and she got me 15 new ink samples! If anyone ever asks what to get you, I highly recommend pointing them at gouletpens.com and their huge selection of $1-2 ink samples. My mom had a lot of fun looking at all of the colors and picking them out for me. It makes it a more personal gift, and I ended up with some cool colors I never would have selected. I promised a thank you note written in the inks she had picked me, so I think it all makes for a good time.

I also got a nice set of G. Lalo stationary, which is much appreciated for my letter writing needs.

Finally picked up a full bottle of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Stormy Grey with some gift cards, having burned through 4 or 5 samples in the past few months.

I want to bury a confession in here. My mom still writes with...gulp...Pilot Varsity pens. I was shocked she hadn't moved on. I put a Pilot metropolitan in front of her as quickly as I could. she seemed pretty sold, so I'm getting her one ASAP, before people find out my secret shame.

Oh! And a GAF friend got me a bottle of Iroshizuku ink, although I won't know which one until tomorrow. He tried to be subtle, but I saw through his sudden interest in my favorite inks. Nice try, buddy.

Finally thinking of picking up a Nock Hightower pen + notebook case with my Christmas money. Anyone tried one? I quite like the design and functionality - they're sewn by hand, which is pretty cool. The only things holding me back are the unavailability of my top color choice and the fact that they're talking about adding models with snaps. anyone have any experience with Nock cases?

Hightower2.jpg

jb1234

Oh! And a GAF friend got me a bottle of Iroshizuku ink, although I won't know which one until tomorrow. He tried to be subtle, but I saw through his sudden interest in my favorite inks. Nice try, buddy.

Musicians aren't very subtle people, you jackass. ;)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ibhxwGTFEbAZm7.JPG

iXVD2kMuECTZQ.JPG

Made out pretty well from the family. They got me the Pilot Elite 95s (the one for the JP market, over here it's branded as "E95s") in a fine nib, a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo and a Nanami Paper Seven Seas "The Writer" notebook. I was a little worried at first about picking up a fine JP nib and it being too scratchy, but boy was I wrong. This little guy has become my go-to pen in a heartbeat. It's a little on the light-side in terms of weight, but it feels great against the page. It also helps that the Seven Seas notebook has the utterly fantastic Tomoe River paper in it.

It's almost the same quality jump as going from your bog-standard copy paper that you get handed by every professor who hates his job and wants you to fail miserably, every boss who has ever been disappointed with your performance that quarter, every family member who has ever decided they wanted to print something out for you on their inkjet from 1997, to a Rhodia pad. Tomoe River paper is one of Japan's best kept secrets of stationary. It's impossibly smooth, so thin it might as well be tracing paper, and yet is resistant to scratching and damage from finer nibs. It really gives ink a fuller look, too. If only I could always write on this incredible paper.

I bought myself the A5 size Hobonichi "Cousin" planner cover to use with the Seven Seas notebook, but now I'm currently struggling with thinking about buying one of the smaller planners and perhaps a cover for it as soon as I can. I was inspired by the creators' speeches on using the planner different from any regular planner. Plus, more reasons to write is always great. And I came up with a really motivating personal reason to try and write every single day in it, so... it's probably gonna happen.

Item Box

I picked up a Lamy Safari to go with my Techo before even noticing this thread, glad I didn't make the wrong choice :)

Never used a fountain pen before.

I'm debating again on the Lamy 2000 on mass drop... My safari does the job but it'd be nice to have another pen. Really wish a vanishing point would go on sale again.

moris

Bagels, you're making me splurge so much!

Long time lurker but based on your amazing thread, I made the jumped and bought a Lamy Safari that I use for note taking a couple months back. And now every time this thread pops back up I get the urge to splurge some more. It's a good thing no worries. I'm grateful for being introduced to this new writing style.

I'm getting the Pilot Kakuno next. :)

linid0t

Any recommendations for really fast drying blue ink? I got a bottle of Noodler blue that dries super slow, and would like something less smudgy.

Also, what types of pocket pens do you guys use? Thinking about picking up an Ohto Tasche or the Pilot petit. Although, maybe it'd be better to stick to safer ballpoint pens that won't leak if I accidentally sit on them or something.

thanks in advance

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Any recommendations for really fast drying blue ink? I got a bottle of Noodler blue that dries super slow, and would like something less smudgy.

Also, what types of pocket pens do you guys use? Thinking about picking up an Ohto Tasche or the Pilot petit. Although, maybe it'd be better to stick to safer ballpoint pens that won't leak if I accidentally sit on them or something.

thanks in advance

For pocket pens, I like the Kaweco Sport. It seals up very tightly, and when posted, it is a comfortable size. I have a bright orange one as my kiddo lost the old black one I had. You can also get them with metal bodies, if you want something a little nicer.

Pilot Petit pens are certainly fun. I like that they come in a lot of different colors.
Jetpens also has their own pocket fountain pen now. It's not the best pen in the world, but it is only $3.

bPqYuWM.jpg

My preferred inks are ...

Diamine-Majestic Blue, Oxblood, Ancient Copper
Lamy-Blue/Black
Private Reserve-Ebony Blue, Avacado

And I suspect the De Atrementis Gold is pretty, but I just need to find the right paper for it, I can barely see it now.

But my favorite that I've been using is the J. Herbin Stormy Grey 1670 Anniversary. Easily. Gold out of your fountain pen, it's ridiculous. Completely dark grey from one angle, completely GILDED from another. I saw it in person in a letter before I got a sample which I just ran out of today.
I kinda balked at the price but I know I'll use it all, so I got a bottle!

Sera O

Banned
But my favorite that I've been using is the J. Herbin Stormy Grey 1670 Anniversary. Easily. Gold out of your fountain pen, it's ridiculous. Completely dark grey from one angle, completely GILDED from another. I saw it in person in a letter before I got a sample which I just ran out of today.
I kinda balked at the price but I know I'll use it all, so I got a bottle!

Oh god, that stormy grey is really nice.

About the Herbin Rouge Hematite, is it true it was reformulated? I vaguely recall reading that it's now better behaved than what was first sold, but that it has less gold in it. It makes me wonder if I should try to get some of the stormy grey sooner than later, even though I really have no need for more ink at this time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh god, that stormy grey is really nice.

About the Herbin Rouge Hematite, is it true it was reformulated? I vaguely recall reading that it's now better behaved than what was first sold, but that it has less gold in it. It makes me wonder if I should try to get some of the stormy grey sooner than later, even though I really have no need for more ink at this time.

There were two reformulations if I remember right. The first one removed almost all of the gold flecks, making it more in line with how Ocean Bleu was. The next reformulation, and the one that's currently on the market, reintroduced the gold but it was nowhere near as potent as the first batch. Though it is tough to say for sure, as none of the big bloggers have managed to cover the reformulations with any amount of inky scientific accuracy.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
There were two reformulations if I remember right. The first one removed almost all of the gold flecks, making it more in line with how Ocean Bleu was. The next reformulation, and the one that's currently on the market, reintroduced the gold but it was nowhere near as potent as the first batch. Though it is tough to say for sure, as none of the big bloggers have managed to cover the reformulations with any amount of inky scientific accuracy.

My bottle, purchased not that long ago, has clogged every pen I've put it in. Stormy Grey is very well behaved, but Rouge Hematite is a bit of a pain. That's my experience anyway.

Props for the good shot of Stormy Grey, above. My New Year's message is also Stormy Grey, but I never capture the golden sheen very well.

Sera O

Banned

Yeah, thanks, that's in line with my recollection. It's really hard to get real info on it unless someone has multiple bottles/samples of the stuff from different years to compare, I guess. But it does sound like if I like how the stormy grey looks now, maybe I should try to get a bottle soonish.

Spoiled myself recently with some fancy letter paper, G. Lalo champagne stationary (lol). It's nice and thick and dark so I hope I'll enjoy using it. Got a Rouge Hematite and Black Swan in English Roses sample in with the paper. The Roses is my first Noodler's. I got that ink suggestion (and a bunch more) from this awesome thread. From what I've seen here alone it's going to be fantastic, so I'll save it for when I burn out on the sparkles.

2NbKljn.jpg

I've got the Stormy Grey in a Lamy 1.5 italic and the Rouge Hem. in a Sheaffer 1.5 italic and they're both laying gold in the same places of lettering, so far so good I suppose. Really like it. Very Lannister! Will keep a look out for crud buildup and clogging, Bagels.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Here's a little review of the Nock Co. Hightower.

Nock makes several different pen cases out of coated nylon. They're all made by hand and they sell for 15 or 20 dollars.

I ordered a "Hightower," a case for 3 pens and a pocket notebook.

IMG_1088.jpg

I had to wait a little bit for the orangey colors to come back in stock. They're a small operation, which is actually kind of neat because they are very open about their design process and they're very open to customer feedback.

(My pictures will be, as always, garbage. My DSLR needs some maintenance.)

You can get Nock products in more tastefully subdued colors, but I've moved away from muted blues and blacks to bright colors over the past few years. I misplace my own stuff often enough, but I also have a 4-year-old who likes borrowing his dad's writing supplies. Bright orange is easier to see under his bed.

My first impression of the Hightower is that it feels really wonderful and sturdy. It's very pleasing to handle.

Depending on the pens you use, you can get 3-6 pens in the 3 loops without the whole thing becoming super bulky. I have two Pilot Metropolitans and 2 TWSBI Diamond Minis in mine - those are the pens I use most often. This feels very much like the kind of thing I can toss in a bag to have my favorite pens with me at all times. That's exactly what I wanted, so I'm pretty happy. It's just a tad too big to comfortably fit in a pocket - I'd love a slimmed down version that could substitute for a wallet.

You can get 2 or 3 pocket notebooks in the slot on the right, or a notebook and your phone, if you wanted to use this as a little carryall. I grabbed a 3-pack of Nock's own reporter pads. I'm pretty disappointed as even my fine nib Kakuno feathers like crazy.

The paper doesn't have much bleedthrough, though. A reporter-style pad is great in the Hightower, letting you pack more in the pocket, but I'd look for another brand, or carry a rollerball or pencil if you'd like to use Nock's paper.

Nock's blog mentions that they're working on versions of their pen cases with closures, which will be nice. Mine stays pretty flat when laid down and doesn't have much tendency to pop open, even when overfilled with stuff. I don't think the closure is actually super necessary at this point, although the extra sense of security would be nice.

I'm super happy with this pen case, and the $20 price point seems very fair. The material is very nice and the stitching looks great to my untrained eye.

I tweeted at them asking about rotating the notebook flap 90 degrees. That would let you slide the back cover of a regular, non-reporter, notebook in, which I would prefer. We'll see what they say, as I can see how it would require a bit more stitching.

Aside from the material used, I do imagine that someone proficient with a sewing machine could whip up a similar case for a few bucks. In fact, I have a beautiful pen roll a friend made me for my birthday, which I love dearly. Even with some decorative stitching, I don't think it took her much time at all. It is cloth, however - I don't know if you'd need some special equipment to work with this really stiff nylon.

So, overall, I'm incredibly happy with the Hightower. I think it's a fair price for a product that looks and feels great and that will find a place in my bag every day. If you are dying for a snap closure, or want a horizontal opening on the notebook pocket, and are willing to wait, they seem to be iterating on their basic products all the time. I love it as is, but I'll grab another if they change the notebook pocket or offer a sightly smaller one.

Hightower- recommended
Nock paper pads - meh

Sera O

Banned
Here's a little review of the Nock Co. Hightower.

Those look pretty good - like a more portable version of what I've been using. I definitely like it better than the pen rolls - those take tying/untying and seem awkward to pull out at work - they probably work better for storing pens than every day use.

What I've been using lately is this Kutsuwa multi work case.

It's more a bag organizer than a pen case. The reason I like this is because it fits a large writing pad or decent size sketchbook, and a set of stationery for writing letters when I have time to (the entire side zips open). I can pull out the entire thing if I need to switch bags or just want to lighten my load for a day. It doesn't have millions of tiny pockets that I won't use. Also, the half-size velcro pocket is big enough for for a rhodia square pad and it fits a vita/3ds/kindle so they are easy to find when I'm traveling.

My bag is about the same size as the organizer. Though I love this thing, it doesn't really have compartments, so the kutsuwa case saves me from searching the abyss for stuff. I basically carry the work case and a midori tn in my bag all the time.

The drawback is that it's not exactly protective for pens, and some people might want to carry more than three (I usually have 2-3 inked, and keep my calligraphy pens at home). I'm more concerned about keeping pens upright inside my bag than scratching them, I guess. It seems like there ought to be many organizers like this out there, but this is the only one I've found so far!

I like the openness of the Kutsuwa organizer. Looks like you can fit quite a bit inside! I'm hesitant to take my pens out with me to work and such, if I twirl either of my pens they're liable to flick ink inside the cap. I'd hate to make a mess walking around with them!

Sera O

Banned
I like the openness of the Kutsuwa organizer. Looks like you can fit quite a bit inside! I'm hesitant to take my pens out with me to work and such, if I twirl either of my pens they're liable to flick ink inside the cap. I'd hate to make a mess walking around with them!

Yeah, I'm not a pen twirler but I'm pretty careful to keep them nib-up in transit since I do a lot of walking. Stuff gets jostled around! It would suck to open the cap and get a big ink-surprise.

Forsete

Gold Member
Having used fountain pens ever since I got the first one (whenever that was, I probably posted in this thread then) it always feels weird writing with anything else now. :p

I wish I could use a FP at work. But I am afraid I would drop it and the nib would get destroyed and that others would look at me like I am a huge fedora wearing hipster douchenozzle (I work in the metal working industry). So I never bothered to bring one to work. *insecure* :(
But we write a lot, reports, orders and other stuff. I did bring a Lamy rollerball which I use most of the time. It is not as terrible as ballpoints or mechanical pencils.

/Elitist

I wish I could use a FP at work. But I am afraid I would drop it and the nib would get destroyed and that others would look at me like I am a huge fedora wearing hipster douchenozzle (I work in the metal working industry). So I never bothered to bring one to work. *insecure* :(
But we write a lot, reports, orders and other stuff. I did bring a Lamy rollerball which I use most of the time. It is not as terrible as ballpoints or mechanical pencils.

/Elitist

Hilarious, this is my circumstance as well. Almost in the same work industry too! Replace the Lamy rollerball (didn't know they made those~) with a G2 and that's me during the day haha.

That Rouge Hematite did eventually clog a pen. It got gunky, had a crust, very nasty. I wipe it away and everything is good, but still. Why? lol

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Having used fountain pens ever since I got the first one (whenever that was, I probably posted in this thread then) it always feels weird writing with anything else now. :p

/Elitist

It's funny because my wife has stuck with the Pilot Varsity as her go-to pen. She does lose pens pretty consistently, so it makes sense. Anyway, the CEO where she works asked to borrow a pen the other day and she handed him her Pilot Varisty. He was crazy impressed that she writes with a fountain pen! He asked her a bunch of questions about it including "are these expensive pens?" which blows my mind. That was always my experience - I used Varsities in grad school and professors would always make remarks about it. It's a $2 disposable pen! It's amazing that people find that impressive.

I have two new pens to review - a Pilot Knight and a Monteverde Catalina. I'll write those up after I've spent a bit more time with them. CheesecakeRecipe keeps bugging me to start my own pen and paper review site and I'm getting more and more tempted to actually do it (and then rope you guys in to help me!)...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have two new pens to review - a Pilot Knight and a Monteverde Catalina. I'll write those up after I've spent a bit more time with them. CheesecakeRecipe keeps bugging me to start my own pen and paper review site and I'm getting more and more tempted to actually do it (and then rope you guys in to help me!)...

I will keep pushing for this! I know you said last time we talked about it that you felt you weren't experienced enough, but, I think your enthusiasm is exactly what is needed for a nice, successful pen and paper blog. I mean, you manage to get a lot of folks at GAF really into the nicer parts of stationary. And I love to share the hobby too, so if I had to do some sort of review nonsense, I'd consider a contribution here and there!

tr4656

How is that Monteverde? Never really tried anything from Monteverde and wondering how their pens feel relative to other brands.

Just getting back into going on GAF again and found this thread. I've been into fountain pens for a while so seeing others here into fountain pens is pretty cool.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
How is that Monteverde? Never really tried anything from Monteverde and wondering how their pens feel relative to other brands.

Just getting back into going on GAF again and found this thread. I've been into fountain pens for a while so seeing others here into fountain pens is pretty cool.

I'd love to hear more about your pens! I've become pretty loyal to Pilot, but I also have some TWSBIs I love, a cheap Sailor, which is very good, and now the Monteverde. I'd like to learn more about other brands too.

As to the Catalina, so far I love it! I got mine through Massdrop for around $50. I got mine with an italic/stub nib because I am all about that life. Even with the sharper nib, it is very, very smooth. It's moderately wet, which I actually like as I use so many inks that shade so beautifully.

It definitely just feels like a pen in that sort of 50-100 dollar range. I'd compare it very favorable to my TWSBI Diamond Mini stub nib. I'll try comparing the two as I use my Catalina, but I already think the Monteverde is the smoother writer. The TWSBI may have a better thick to thin in its line, though.

The big thing I notice is, well, how big it is. The circumference is pretty generous and the cap is even bigger, so it's a lot of pen when posted. Most of my pens are pretty inconspicuous - my Vanishing Point is matte black and while my TWSBIs are demonstrators, the Diamond Minis are small and, aside from being able to see the pretty ink, they aren't particularly showy. The Catalina is big and mine is a nice blue with a series of white rings on the cap, which ends with a shiny metal ring. It's not the flashiest pen in the world, but it's the flashiest one I currently own.

It feels really solid in my hand and I'd put it somewhere on the heavier side of the middle in terms of weight compared to my other pens.

It came with a screw-type converter which I'm pleased to see holds quite a bit of ink. It also came with a box of Monteverde black cartridges.

The logo for the Catalina is a little anchor and I'm kind of bummed to find that it isn't used on the pen. Instead it has the Monteverde mountain logo on the end of the cap and on the clip. I dig nautical stuff, so I wish they had used the little anchor.

The box is nice and is also quite large. It sort of has all the trimmings of a modestly pricey pen - a converter, the nice packaging, a box of ink carts.

I filled it with some Pelikan Edelstein Verdigris ink and it writes beautifully right out of the box. I guess my mini review went a tad long, but I still want to spend some more time using it before awarding it a golden bagel of quality.

LuffyZoro

So I have a Pilot Metropolitan and really like writing with it, but have a problem. The part under the cap where I hold the pen gets covered in ink between uses, and if I forget to wipe it off before writing my fingers get covered in ink. Is there a way to stop this? It's really put me off writing with it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So I have a Pilot Metropolitan and really like writing with it, but have a problem. The part under the cap where I hold the pen gets covered in ink between uses, and if I forget to wipe it off before writing my fingers get covered in ink. Is there a way to stop this? It's really put me off writing with it.

That is certainly not normal! Is there any ink in the cap as well? If so, you might have to be a little more careful when moving the pen around as the ink can come flying out of the feed if it takes too quick a jolt. The only other thing I can think of is the converter being loose, but I'm not sure how that would cause ink to leak on that particular part of the pen.

psp12345

Ordered some Noodler's Baystate Blue but I've read some scary stories about that ink and how it can ruin a pen. Anyone have any experience with it?

LuffyZoro

That is certainly not normal! Is there any ink in the cap as well? If so, you might have to be a little more careful when moving the pen around as the ink can come flying out of the feed if it takes too quick a jolt. The only other thing I can think of is the converter being loose, but I'm not sure how that would cause ink to leak on that particular part of the pen.

Yeah, there's a bunch of ink in the cap and on the nib. It happens when I'm just carrying it around in my pocket, and possibly even just sitting on my desk.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ordered some Noodler's Baystate Blue but I've read some scary stories about that ink and how it can ruin a pen. Anyone have any experience with it?

It is well known for staining whatever it is put into, so I wouldn't really bother putting it in a demonstrator pen. I've heard mixed reports about the damage it can do, with nothing too conclusive. I recall an experiment done by a redditor a few months back where they tested Baystate Blue's properties on a celluloid body pen. It did not outright damage the pen, but it did alter the pen.

Yeah, there's a bunch of ink in the cap and on the nib. It happens when I'm just carrying it around in my pocket, and possibly even just sitting on my desk.

How do you store/transport the pen? If you're keeping it cap-up at all times, then there is something else that could be wrong.

tr4656

It's kind of hard to tell whether that's ink leak or ink creep. What ink and do you have any pictures?

I would like to use a fountain pen, but being left handed...
It gets messy.

Quick drying ink. See http://www.thecramped.com/fountain-pen-guide-for-the-left-handed-writer/

LuffyZoro

How do you store/transport the pen? If you're keeping it cap-up at all times, then there is something else that could be wrong.

I don't pay attention to what direction I put it in my pocket, so it could be that.

It's kind of hard to tell whether that's ink leak or ink creep. What ink and do you have any pictures?]

It's just a black Pilot ink cartridge, and given the nature of the black ink on the black pen it doesn't really lend itself to pictures (plus I just wiped it off). That also makes me more likely to forget about it when I try to use it >.>

tr4656

It's just a black Pilot ink cartridge, and given the nature of the black ink on the black pen it doesn't really lend itself to pictures (plus I just wiped it off). That also makes me more likely to forget about it when I try to use it >.>

Well, if it's really serious (which it sounds like it is), it should be ink leak which is defective. Especially with the Pilot cartridge, it shouldn't be creep unlike Noodler's ink. Try to get a replacement if you can.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Here's how I've repaired pens for people who had that problem. The issue is usually ink leaking around the feed&nib assembly. Over time, ink will work its way down around the plastic feed assembly that holds the nib. To fix it, you want to remove that assembly. Grasp the top of the nib and the plastic part that the nib sits on between two fingers. You want to pull the whole thing out, which might require a little twisting action. You want an empty pen when you do this, but you'll probably get a bit inky anyway. So pull the whole thing out and you should be able to lift the nib off the plastic feed bit. Gently rinse the whole thing under some running water. It often takes more rinsing than you'd think - that ink lasts forever.

When you're not getting more ink rinsing off, gently dry the whole thing with a paper towel. Twist up a wet paper towel and clean out the inside of the pen barrel, where the assembly was sitting. Dry everything up, re-seat the nib on the feed, and reinsert the assembly into the pen. Make sure the nib is still lined up over the feed and that everything is nicely secured.

Now, when you fill the pen, you shouldn't see the ink creeping out of the pen. Don't let it shake around in your bag too much, store it nib-up, etc. to limit the ink getting back into that space.

When I switch inks, I usually pull out the nib assembly to clean it, both to make it easier to clean and to prevent this problem.

I can add some photos if that wasn't clear - I'm just away from my pens.

psp12345

It is well known for staining whatever it is put into, so I wouldn't really bother putting it in a demonstrator pen. I've heard mixed reports about the damage it can do, with nothing too conclusive. I recall an experiment done by a redditor a few months back where they tested Baystate Blue's properties on a celluloid body pen. It did not outright damage the pen, but it did alter the pen.

I think I'll try it in a cheap pen like my Safari. It is my first waterproof ink.

Flintty

What an awesome thread. I haven't used a fountain pen since I left school (1998!) and my kids don't use them - I assumed nobody does.

Looking at some of that writing gave me a nostalgic school feeling, but then I remembered I was that shit guy who used it to flick ink at a guy I didn't like - at the back of his white shirt. Damn I bet his mum was pissed.

Consider this a public apology for being a dick. Sorry Graham. Sorry Grahams Mum.

I have a Graf von Faber-Castell Guilloche. Have been using since 2007 and has seen some use and wear and tear. Am thinking of getting a service for various reasons and this has set me thinking. I would like a new pen and ideally a good writer. Have read previous posts and am leaning towards a parker duofold (used Parker pens at school). Can anybody here let me know their thoughts if they own one. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom