• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr4656

So tempted to get something with a custom nib!

Definitely, although nibs on pens you already own adjusted is also to consider, especially if you can make it to one of the pen shows since there would be nibmeisters there. The problem is that going to those shows make you spend a lot more money then you intended to. :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
god dammit bagels

stahp

Pens are my heroin. Paper is my cocaine. Ink is my crystal meth. Injecting dilaudid directly into my eyeballs is my...injecting dilaudid directly into my eyeballs.

It all gets me crazy high, but I'm sure I could stop any time.

Definitely, although nibs on pens you already own adjusted is also to consider, especially if you can make it to one of the pen shows since there would be nibmeisters there. The problem is that going to those shows make you spend a lot more money then you intended to. :p

I don't know if I could handle a pen show. I can resist really going nuts on expensive pens when I can only see them in jpegs. I don't think my resolve would hold if I could see and hold a beautiful pen in person. If I came home with some $500 pen, my wife would jam it through my heart and that would be just super bad for the nib, so I need to restrain myself.

tr4656

If I came home with some $500 pen, my wife would jam it through my heart and that would be just super bad for the nib, so I need to restrain myself.

Don't touch a Nakaya then. Those are way too tempting and do actually cost 500+.

Are there any good notebook refills? I have a journal that takes replaceable pads, ate there any a4/a5 pads? Most good ones seem to ones you don't use to refill another journal.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Are there any good notebook refills? I have a journal that takes replaceable pads, ate there any a4/a5 pads? Most good ones seem to ones you don't use to refill another journal.

Do you have a picture of the journal? Top- or side-bound paper? Three ring? Circa punched?

Do you have a picture of the journal? Top- or side-bound paper? Three ring? Circa punched?
Side bound. If you look at the leather journal on massdrop it's similar to that. It's essentially like a book cover where the front and back cover of the pass slide into the journal itself.

Sera O

Banned
Speaking of notebook refills, if any Canadians are interested in refills of Midori traveler's notebook (reg size) made of Tomoe River paper, Wonderpens had a batch made. It could be great for keeping the overall thickness down so I've picked one up to try out.

Sera O

Banned
I can't find anything of hobonichi, midori I only see travelers that are 64 pages which is way too small. I just don't know companies, I don't see refills of a lot that are mentioned.

If I were you I'd check out the jetpens.com journals section, or even just search by all their A5 notebooks.

Something like the exacompta plain cover journals seem good and I believe is a Clairefontaine brand, but I don't know if the size matches. Chances are there are some fat notebooks that would also work - here is a midori a5 lined notebook, 176 pages.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm shlepping by bag around more these days and I realized I had to cut things down a wee bit. Here's what's in my bag now:
(apologies for crappy late night shot)

efO38g6.jpg

The Copper Orange Al-Star is brand new. I love the matching Copper Orange ink! Goulet Pens only has cartridges in stock right now. I'm waiting for the cool bottles to come back in stock.

Lamy pens always take a little breaking in, in my experience. I have to work through a bit of skipping in the early going.

The next three pens have ink drop selections in them. The Diamine Woodland Green is my favorite.

The Pilot Knight and Pilot Prera are great next steps up from the trusty Metropolitan. Prices are all over the place, like $25-55. I got both of mine for under $30 each. Recommended at that price. Closer to $50, I'd grab a TWSBI.

I wish the Kaweco pocket pens were a tad cheaper. I keep my trusty orange pen in my pocket at all times. The metal-bodied ones are beautiful, but the price ratchets up.

You owe it to yourself to keep a dedicated pen for J. Herbin Stormy Grey! I get more comments and requests for that ink than the rest of my inks combined. Maybe you need to care a bit about pens and ink to appreciate an Iroshizuku, but gold sheen is something everybody can get behind.

Writing on a Franklin&Cristoph pad. I really like their sugar cane paper. It has a rougher feel than super smooth Tomoe River or Rhodia, but it handles inks beautifully. It's quite thick, so if you hate ghosting, this is the paper for you.

alext5

Neo Member
The Copper Orange Al-Star is brand new. I love the matching Copper Orange ink! Goulet Pens only has cartridges in stock right now. I'm waiting for the cool bottles to come back in stock.

Lamy pens always take a little breaking in, in my experience. I have to work through a bit of skipping in the early going.

I just got this fountain pen, it is so nice. At first when the sales person told me that there was a matching ink I thought that it was kind of weird to use orange ink but I ended up buying the cartridges anyway and I can't use anything else since then !

I also had some issues with skipping but now that I almost finished my first cartridge, it seems to be ok.

I really prefer the Al-Star to my grey safari with black lamy cartridge.

I think my next step in fountain pens will be to try pilot iroshizuku ink.

Do you recommend it ?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I just got this fountain pen, it is so nice. At first when the sales person told me that there was a matching ink I thought that it was kind of weird to use orange ink but I ended up buying the cartridges anyway and I can't use anything else since then !

I also had some issues with skipping but now that I almost finished my first cartridge, it seems to be ok.

I really prefer the Al-Star to my grey safari with black lamy cartridge.

I think my next step in fountain pens will be to try pilot iroshizuku ink.

Do you recommend it ?

Is the pope Catholic?
Iroshizuku inks are sooooo nice! Do some samples from Goulet pens before investing in a full bottle. They are pricey (the full bottles, not the samples!), but they are pricey for a reason. Try out a few shades you are interested in and let me know what you think!

I also prefer my new Al-Star to my black Safari! I am going to clean up my Safari and try to rehabilitate it a bit. I had another one that I stupidly gave away to a friend that wrote really nicely. My other Safari needs a little TLC. But the orange Al-Star really grew on me fast. I'm making an effort to use it more to break it in a bit faster, despite my annoyance at some skipping.

I was a little hesitant to grab the copper orange ink, too! But oh man is it great! It shades so beautifully and I really do love the color orange. I can't wait to get the bottle of the orange so I can try it in my calligraphy pens!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Matte black right?

Still looks good.

Despite the price point being, well...my Vanishing Point is easily my priciest pen, even considering the deal I got. But it's a pen that you just want to carry around and use. The whole point of the retractable nib (with the little door inside that seals it off!) and the heavy-duty construction is to make a pen you don't have to handle delicately. I love your pic, tr4656. That is a pen that has been used, which is the whole point. And I dig showing people a fountain pen - something that people think of as fragile and fussy - that has some miles on it. That makes me happy.

14821725813_9de700a855_z.jpg

I have wanted a music nib pen since I first got into fountain pens. I got a pen chalet coupon the other day, and they had some great deals, even before the 10% off. I was looking around, not intending to buy anything, but they actually had two versions of the Noodler's Neponset in stock. These things are impossible to find! I'm not crazy about the colors they had, but I caved and got one. $67.50 is a good price for the pen, but that's a bit of an investment for me (they still have a single color available). But...man, this is a dream pen for me. The reviews have been amazing - far better than the other Noodler's flex offerings (which are very hit or miss. I like the two I have, but the quality control is not, like, Pilot-level. If you get a good one, it doesn't feel 100% like it's because they really know how to make these things. It frankly feels a bit lucky.). That gourmetpens review has me super hyped. I lust after line width variation like that.

My new pen has shipped! when it's here, I'll let you know what I think.

tr4656

Is the pope Catholic?
Iroshizuku inks are sooooo nice! Do some samples from Goulet pens before investing in a full bottle. They are pricey (the full bottles, not the samples!), but they are pricey for a reason. Try out a few shades you are interested in and let me know what you think!

Another option is to try the mini bottles. You can get 3 colors for the price of a full bottle although each are in less quantity. But its a good way to try out different Iroshizuku ink, especially since they are so expensive.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Another option is to try the mini bottles. You can get 3 colors for the price of a full bottle although each are in less quantity. But its a good way to try out different Iroshizuku ink, especially since they are so expensive.

Yeah! They look so cute! I want them.

Purely from a practical standpoint, $2 each for generous samples of Iroshizukus from Goulet is hard to beat!

Sera O inspired me to buy Momiji as my first Iroshizuku. I adore that ink.

The wonderful Al-Star (which is indeed writing better already!) inspired me to rehabilitate my Safari. I washed everything really well, taking the nib off for some special attention. Popped a fresh ink cartridge in and suddenly it writes flawlessly!

I realized I got it before I was completely crazy about fountain pens. The ink in there was old, and it had been allowed to sit between uses. No wonder it was always wonky! It had needed a thorough cleaning forever. I am so happy it is now behaving! It's an F nib, and I am a big M nib guy. But now I love having it, alongside my M Al-Star.

I have a Lamy calligraphy pen that also needs a cleaning. Going to pop Copper Orange in there and calligraphy it up. That ink shades so beautifully!

Poor photo, but that's just harder vs lighter presses. The inkier parts are a brilliant orange while the less inky bits are almost a bit pastel, a little pink. Super cool!

Sera O

Banned
The inkier parts are a brilliant orange while the less inky bits are almost a bit pastel, a little pink. Super cool!

That ink looks super nice. I wonder if there is a review with it next to diamine ancient copper and iroshizuku fuyugaki for comparison - it seems like it is somewhere between those two which are the most orangey inks I have.

Yeah! They look so cute! I want them.

Purely from a practical standpoint, $2 each for generous samples of Iroshizukus from Goulet is hard to beat!

Sera O inspired me to buy Momiji as my first Iroshizuku. I adore that ink.

The wonderful Al-Star (which is indeed writing better already!) inspired me to rehabilitate my Safari. I washed everything really well, taking the nib off for some special attention. Popped a fresh ink cartridge in and suddenly it writes flawlessly!

I realized I got it before I was completely crazy about fountain pens. The ink in there was old, and it had been allowed to sit between uses. No wonder it was always wonky! It had needed a thorough cleaning forever. I am so happy it is now behaving! It's an F nib, and I am a big M nib guy. But now I love having it, alongside my M Al-Star.

I have a Lamy calligraphy pen that also needs a cleaning. Going to pop Copper Orange in there and calligraphy it up. That ink shades so beautifully!

Poor photo, but that's just harder vs lighter presses. The inkier parts are a brilliant orange while the less inky bits are almost a bit pastel, a little pink. Super cool!

Wow, that's a surprising amount of color variation. Nice!

tr4656

Interesting. Your picture inspired me to buy a bottle of Lamy Copper Orange from Pen Chalet.

Anyone tried the Kaweco Students before? It's 40.50 for one on Pen Chalet.

Just put myself on the list for these when they come into my local shop (I'm a Luddite who doesn't buy things online). Pretty excited.

While up GDC earlier this month I stopped by Maido and picked up some affordable Platinum Plaisirs for my daughters. Not a huge fan compared to my Lamy's so far; the ink flow took a long time to get going well, and the balance and feel doesn't compare in my opinion, even the temperature of the body sort of annoys me in the winter. Fun to see the girls playing with them though.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
524iKka.jpg

I love this pen so damn much! I need to review a few new pens here, as promised.

This is sort of it for new pens for a while (pushing my luck with Mrs. Bagels - she was not as sold on my "but they are going out of production!!!!" defense as I had hoped). :)

I can't remember if I have mentioned this, so apologies if this is a repeat.

There is a lot of great pen-focused content out there to obsessively read/listen to/watch. I thought it might be a fun addition to make a small podcast focusing on personal experiences with fountain pens. From this community, w have many, many people who went from not writing basically anything by hand, to using fountain pens daily, I was talking to CheesecakeRecipe about that (it's very much his experience) and about how writing by hand, with a fountain pen, has had all sorts of interesting effects in his life.

Would people be interested in a podcast talking to people (largely from this community, but I have a few other people I'd like to rope into being interviewed) about this stuff? Also, would people be interested in talking to me for episodes of this podcast? If it sounds boring, no worries! I want to know if this is really something worth setting up.

tr4656

524iKka.jpg

I love this pen so damn much! I need to review a few new pens here, as promised.

This is sort of it for new pens for a while (pushing my luck with Mrs. Bagels - she was not as sold on my "but they are going out of production!!!!" defense as I had hoped). :)

There is a lot of great pen-focused content out there to obsessively read/listen to/watch. I thought it might be a fun addition to make a small podcast focusing on personal experiences with fountain pens. From this community, w have many, many people who went from not writing basically anything by hand, to using fountain pens daily, I was talking to CheesecakeRecipe about that (it's very much his experience) and about how writing by hand, with a fountain pen, has had all sorts of interesting effects in his life.

Would people be interested in a podcast talking to people (largely from this community, but I have a few other people I'd like to rope into being interviewed) about this stuff? Also, would people be interested in talking to me for episodes of this podcast? If it sounds boring, no worries! I want to know if this is really something worth setting up.
I'm definitely interested. As a big podcast listener, I wouldn't mind having more stationery podcasts. This seems interesting to talk about too, so I definitely wouldn't mind (and getting involved with podcasts is fun).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
524iKka.jpg

So what brand of pen is that

Great thread! You have sold me on fountain pens! I have to say I never would have thought a thread based on this would keep my attention for so long :)

Massdrop is pretty crappy to be honest. The ink I ordered is delayed and they won't have an update until next week and mention shipments for all the colors except what I ordered. I saved not that much to have them hold my money well in advance of receiving anything.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Massdrop is pretty crappy to be honest. The ink I ordered is delayed and they won't have an update until next week and mention shipments for all the colors except what I ordered. I saved not that much to have them hold my money well in advance of receiving anything.

My Franklin-Cristoph notebooks showed up really quickly! It depends on the drop. You definitely trade some time waiting for the item for a better price. They are good about communicating where things stand with each drop, but the whole process can take time. It's not always worth waiting, even if the price is great.

Unique stitching on lined, dot, blank.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What do people think of moleskine? Considering getting their notebook.

Their paper is VERY fibrous. Feels fine with pencil, but fountain pens look like trash. I also object to their whole faux-luxury thing. They are not made well enough for that price. Look elsewhere. Rhodia Webnotebook, Franklin-Cristof, White Lines - check the paper thread.

I didn't even know there was a paper thread so I'll check it out. Basically I want blank pages journals that open and stay open but feel relatively durable like the moleskins. I also like the bookmark in moleskine but not necessary. I want a journal that stays open when you open it though, probably not a problem with more expensive journals I suppose?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I didn't even know there was a paper thread so I'll check it out. Basically I want blank pages journals that open and stay open but feel relatively durable like the moleskins. I also like the bookmark in moleskine but not necessary. I want a journal that stays open when you open it though, probably not a problem with more expensive journals I suppose?

Franklin-Cristophs stay nice and open. Basically all the good journals have a bookmark.

You can get a blank Rhodia Webnotebook in landscape orientation, if you really want to do some sketching.

Paper

Franklin-Cristophs stay nice and open. Basically all the good journals have a bookmark.

You can get a blank Rhodia Webnotebook in landscape orientation, if you really want to do some sketching.

Paper
Franklin Christoph is sexy. I think I decided on that. Are they available in stores or just online?

WonderPup

524iKka.jpg

After seeing this pen, I thought I'd purchase one. I had to order it directly from TWISBI due to the shrinking supply. All the other fountain pens I own are cheap and disposable. When you buy a pen that is more than two or three dollars, does it typically come with ink? Or should I expect to not receive any and purchase it separately?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
After seeing this pen, I thought I'd purchase one. I had to order it directly from TWISBI due to the shrinking supply. All the other fountain pens I own are cheap and disposable. When you buy a pen that is more than two or three dollars, does it typically come with ink? Or should I expect to not receive any and purchase it separately?

That particular model will not come with any ink - since it is a "Piston" type filler, there's no option for cheap cartridges like "Cartridge/converter" type pens can use. You'll have to buy a bottle of ink to go with it!

tr4656

Their paper is VERY fibrous. Feels fine with pencil, but fountain pens look like trash. I also object to their whole faux-luxury thing. They are not made well enough for that price. Look elsewhere. Rhodia Webnotebook, Franklin-Cristof, White Lines - check the paper thread.
Even with pencil, it's not as smooth as other notebooks, notably Baron Fig.
Depends on the fountain pen but in this case, you would need a bottle of ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom