• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Pocket. GBA, GBC, GB, Lynx, & More, 1440P Screen. HDMI-output with dock. $199, Launching May 2021.

I resisted. I’m happy with my glow and B&W units. Congrats though.
you have a black and a white? I just have the black and the glow so far myself. I was actually trying to get the whole set today, but damn card got blocked after 3 transactions. Got all the colours I really wanted though.

What a device though. I truly fell in love with it only after I got the Dock. It has replaced the MiSTer for me for 90% of my retro gaming.

Ulysses 31

Wow they're really milking the Pocket with all these editions. :messenger_winking_tongue:

8 classic editions coming this Friday.

2-pocket_classic_le.bd3fd76d76c78307c1ca53fd6630011c.png

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Came across this, thought Id share

Wonder if they have improved their newest stuff?

What even is this? A wooden Neo-Geo? This doesn't look like anything Analogue sells.

I think Analogue has been pretty lame and underdelivered on official support for systems they promised for the pocket, relying on open source devs to solve these problems for them, but they clearly aren't building systems out of particle board and hot glue...

Sleepwalker

What even is this? A wooden Neo-Geo? This doesn't look like anything Analogue sells.

I think Analogue has been pretty lame and underdelivered on official support for systems they promised for the pocket, relying on open source devs to solve these problems for them, but they clearly aren't building systems out of particle board and hot glue...

Yeah its a product they used to sell, launched in 2011, not that thats an excuse to hot glue the internals lol.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I got my translucent blue pocket last month and I adore it. Put in many hours on it. Easily the best handheld retro device I have ever used.

The company has come a long way with their production standards and it shows in their latest products.

tommib

Just got an orange one today on the latest round. I immediately ordered Burai Fighter from eBay because it was my first gameboy game.

What are people people playing on their analogue pockets?

calistan

Just got an orange one today on the latest round. I immediately ordered Burai Fighter from eBay because it was my first gameboy game.

What are people people playing on their analogue pockets?
I recommend a program called Pocket Updater. You just keep it on the SD card, and when you run it on a PC it pulls down the latest versions of whatever cores you fancy trying, plus (for the specific arcade ones) the roms, in whatever arcane format OpenFPGA requires. Zero expertise required, just check/uncheck the cores you want.

It's worth running it every now and then to see if things have changed. For example, Konami's Mikie game originally couldn't be displayed the right way up, but a recent version fixed that.

It will also sort you out with the latest firmware from Analogue (just don't hold your breath waiting for that).

tommib

My Pocket is arriving tomorrow! Super excited. Only have the Burai Fighter cartridge for now but will get a bunch during the weekend.

Any Advance games that are more under the radar that I should look for?

calistan

My Pocket is arriving tomorrow! Super excited. Only have the Burai Fighter cartridge for now but will get a bunch during the weekend.

Any Advance games that are more under the radar that I should look for?
Specifically GBA? If you want to get boxed copies I'd recommend going for the Japanese ones as the packaging is far nicer.

The Bit Generations series is really interesting and somewhat obscure - seven barebones experimental games by Nintendo. Very nice tiny boxes too. Then there's Mawaru Made in Wario (Wario Ware Twisted?) which is just excellent - although the 'open' slot design and general bulk of the Pocket slightly deadens the feedback from the motion-sensing cartrtidge.

Kur Kuru Kururin was a brilliant launch title that's still worth playing. Hard as nails, I can't get anywhere near my old high scores now.

If I could only pick one GBA game though it would be Rhythm Tengoku. The last GBA game they made, never released outside of Japan but it's much better than the DS / 3DS / Wii Rhythm Heaven titles that got international releases.

436HqAv.jpg

Calverz

I really don't see the appeal of this product whatsoever. Like why choose the inferior vertical style game boy over the more comfortable horizontal GBA shape?

I mean I had a gameboy colour and it was uncomfortable as hell after a couple of hours of use. The GBA was a huge improvement in comfort.

Last edited:

calistan

I really don't see the appeal of this product whatsoever. Like why choose the inferior vertical style game boy over the more comfortable horizontal GBA shape?

I mean I had a gameboy colour and it was uncomfortable as hell after a couple of hours of use. The GBA was a huge improvement in comfort.
Personally I find the vertical layout more comfortable. Probably a lot of people do, hence all the damned vertical videos you see on social media.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Seeing a few for sale from a Maryland store for about $450. Scalpers indeed. I have a similar from a generic brand I've been using since 2019 and it's solid. Looks nice but certainly in the hands of scalpers. Where I'm at, something like this would normally run for around $35 tops.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
you have a black and a white? I just have the black and the glow so far myself.
I also have the black and white pockets, and this post gave me an idea. I might try swapping the shells and buttons to have a black & white pocket. I wonder how that would look… 🤔

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

It isn't quite the same ergonomics as the original Gameboy or Gameboy Color. I feel this is more comfortable than the GBA and cross between SP and GBC in terms of comfort.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It isn't quite the same ergonomics as the original Gameboy or Gameboy Color. I feel this is more comfortable than the GBA and cross between SP and GBC in terms of comfort.
If they could've just replicated the clamshell design and small form factor of the SP it would've been perfect IMO.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
If they could've just replicated the clamshell design and small form factor of the SP it would've been perfect IMO.
I was never huge on the SP’s design. It tended to hurt after a while. I feel the Pocket’s design is superior in almost every way. Only issue I woudl like fixed would be to make the screen flush with the case.

Calverz

This I get. I had the original GBA (most comfortable) and the SP. The SP wasn't as comfortable but you put up with it because of the backlight, form factor and the protective clam shell design.

I always prefer vertical style, don't know why, but that's the truth.

It feel just right.

Maybe because the first video games I've played on my Gameboy saves this form factor as the golden standard into my brain and soul.

Everyone who played retrogames in a horizontal way had something wrong in their live. 😂

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
just got mine in the mail..

the pricing is absurd..
i was fucked over 270 dorrars inc shipping.
only to be fucked over for another 65 dorrars import tax
making this thing 335 euro's

BUT it does look sweet af.

Last edited:

tommib

just got mine in the mail..

the pricing is absurd..
i was fucked over 270 dorrars inc shipping.
only to be fucked over for another 65 dorrars import tax
making this thing 335 euro's

BUT it does look sweet af.
Where do you live? I got mine in the Netherlands and paid exactly the same. The import tax made me super angry. It’s too much money in total but hey, I played a cartridge of Burai Fighter.

Spukc

Where do you live? I got mine in the Netherlands and paid exactly the same. The import tax made me super angry. It’s too much money in total but hey, I played a cartridge of Burai Fighter.
yeah close to dutchland i can't seem to get pokemon pinball rumble to work.. currently using pocket operator to update all cores.. already own a mister and this is basically the same,.,
upT15FN.jpg

close up with macro function so you can check out the fake scanlines..

1ZwnEep.jpg

sexy screen .. 615 dpi vs 515 on the iphone

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday but has a dodgy dpad that rubs the top right of the casing, also it’s way too easy to nudge the carts and crash games due to how exposed they are. Starting to wonder why I bothered to be honest, the novelty factor alone isn’t really worth it.

Phase

It says no emulation, but if I bought a flash cart would that work with this? That's the only way I would consider buying this.

Spukc

It says no emulation, but if I bought a flash cart would that work with this? That's the only way I would consider buying this.
yeah it does.. well the everdrive gbc works..
my gba does not work ev flash iv

anyway it supports open fpga so no hassle

Finally I bought one.

Its really great. Once configured, especially Gameboy games with the screen filters where really nostalgic an run perfectly.

Looking forward for the V2 update before christmas that activates screen filters for open FPGA. Then I can use the screen filters for every rom on my SD card.

I like it really much. What I like the most is the great Stereo Speakers and absolute gorgeous screen.
Also the ability for easily replace the Battery and the whole repair friendly construction is something that let me know I can use it for a long time.

Black an white were in Stock now, btw

Last edited:

calistan

0iRs9bf.jpg
SVlRW2u.jpg

it sure fucking is..
i can hear the screams of 10000 hipsters watching this shit
Looks like your printer paper is no good, it's meant to be a lot darker than that. Haven't used mine in ages (decades) but I found one last roll - what are the chances of it still working after a quarter of a century?

ZlqI384.jpg

Spukc

Looks like your printer paper is no good, it's meant to be a lot darker than that. Haven't used mine in ages (decades) but I found one last roll - what are the chances of it still working after a quarter of a century?

ZlqI384.jpg
I had old new stock . Aftermarket is better too lazy to order tho

Man, this thing is such a great piece of Retro Gaming.
I testet nearly all Emulators on my Phone and I went crazy witch retroarch. Such a pieco of shit. Burning time configurate this shit, and nothing works flawlessly.

The analog pocket ist the exact opposite. Turn it in and play.

Great!

calistan

I had old new stock . Aftermarket is better too lazy to order tho
Just tried mine for the first time this millennium, and it's even worse. The paper has a weird medicinal smell, so maybe it has gone off. Or maybe the printer is no longer putting out enough heat, in which case buying more paper would be a waste of money.

vJTUDaO.jpg

Spukc

Just tried mine for the first time this millennium, and it's even worse. The paper has a weird medicinal smell, so maybe it has gone off. Or maybe the printer is no longer putting out enough heat, in which case buying more paper would be a waste of money.

vJTUDaO.jpg
Hahah thanks for the update.
Same for me aye.. its crap, anyway it’s a novelty item but aftermarket thermal paper looks hella better no joke

calistan

Hahah thanks for the update.
Same for me aye.. its crap, anyway it’s a novelty item but aftermarket thermal paper looks hella better no joke
Ordered some!! Not 100% sure why, but I’m really enjoying my trip in the Analogue Pocket time machine.

calistan

Yeah same here will play around with the fpga cores some more later tonight :)
Turns out it was the paper that had gone bad. The aftermarket stuff works fine, although I need to adjust the contrast. It's thicker than the original paper, so the motor struggles to pull it through the printer when the lid is closed.

zJoCnMA.jpg

Spukc

Turns out it was the paper that had gone bad. The aftermarket stuff works fine, although I need to adjust the contrast. It's thicker than the original paper, so the motor struggles to pull it through the printer when the lid is closed.

zJoCnMA.jpg
Dude it looks LIT !

Do you mind sharing what you got?

Last edited:

Spukc

This is indeed the ultimate gameboy no joke

Aka

My personal pokemon red player

Last edited:
Top Bottom