• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Pocket. GBA, GBC, GB, Lynx, & More, 1440P Screen. HDMI-output with dock. $199, Launching May 2021.

Nymphae

Banned
Who am I kidding I'm going to try for one. I've been saving money not buying weed this past month so that's how I'll justify it to myself lol.

Nymphae

Banned
2 FPGA's on-board and a MicroSD/SD card slot. No need for the rom cart unless they add features the analogue dash doesn't....the other consoles they have released have a good amount of features.

What does this mean then

bkmUkhN.jpg

y9irLC4.jpg

I am not super knowledgeable about this stuff and I'm unclear on whether or not this will be able to boot and play the roms on my Everdrive cart which works with any GB or GBC.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I'm out...

Although I'd imagine it'll play flash carts, I wanted one specifically to be an all-in-one unit and play from a SD card. I guess I'll be sticking with the Nvidia Shield tablet.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm actually a little concerned that the face buttons are way too close together now. There is far more spacing between the two buttons on gameboys, ditto SNES controllers.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
What does this mean then

bkmUkhN.jpg

y9irLC4.jpg

I am not super knowledgeable about this stuff and I'm unclear on whether or not this will be able to boot and play the roms on my Everdrive cart which works with any GB or GBC.
Yup,
You are correct. The firmware the devices ship with don’t play rom files. The firmware is open source and usually smokemister releases a custom firmware day of.

Nymphae

Banned
Couldn't care less about the dock, might grab a screen protector and fast charger though. Assuming I can actually manage to preorder one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I really want to get one of these. But man that 3.5 inch screen is bumming me out - yes I know it's the size of the original Game Boy screen. But it's hard to get too excited about this when I literally have a screen twice this size that I carry around with me in my pocket at all times. Or that it's half the size of the Switch's screen.

DESTROYA

I really want to get one of these. But man that 3.5 inch screen is bumming me out - yes I know it's the size of the original Game Boy screen. But it's hard to get too excited about this when I literally have a screen twice this size that I carry around with me in my pocket at all times. Or that it's half the size of the Switch's screen.
Exactly!
Back in the day it was fine because nobody knew better but these days with everyone being used to cellphone sizes screens it’s hard to go back to a much smaller screen.
I got a RG350 with the same size screen and it’s a great system but the screen size will make you go blind.

Dr Kaneda

Can someone tell me if a screen protector for this would even be necessary if it's gorilla glass and 3x the thickness as a smartphone one?

Plus it's not a touch screen so it's not like it's going to be seeing much contact. $16 seems steep for one 3.5 inch screen protector

Nymphae

Banned
It's not that bad at all, I've been playing my GB pockets and GBC a lot lately and it's definitely not too small to play, even the shitty small GBC screen. This thing will be glorious with that high res and nice lighting.

crumbs

So last week's teaser turned out to be an announcement of when we can pre-order? :messenger_unamused:

I'm tempted, but I'll probably hold off since I would like to see some reviews first.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If I can (I sense an impending nightmare with everyone hitting the pre-order page at the same time), I think I'm in for this. It hasn't become any less tantalizing since the announcement, and it's been months upon months.

That dock is pricey, though. :messenger_confused: Half the price of the unit itself? Having a Switch, and loving that functionality, I'll have to get it, but... maybe later, lol.

Nymphae

Banned
If I can (I sense an impending nightmare with everyone hitting the pre-order page at the same time), I think I'm in for this. It hasn't become any less tantalizing since the announcement, and it's been months upon months.

That dock is pricey, though. :messenger_confused: Half the price of the unit itself? Having a Switch, and loving that functionality, I'll have to get it, but... maybe later, lol.

Are you really going to want to play old school handheld games on an HD TV though? I don't really see the appeal in the dock, I can charge the unit like I charge any other device and the games are meant to be played portably for the most part.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Are you really going to want to play old school handheld games on an HD TV though? I don't really see the appeal in the dock, I can charge the unit like I charge any other device and the games are meant to be played portably for the most part.

Some. I think some games are much more suited to a TV than most would assume. The Zeldas, for example.

Especially when you get up to Game Boy Advance, and these almost Super Nintendo-like games. I played Metroid Fusion on the Wii U, on my TV, and it came to life in a whole new way.

I'm not sure how it will look on my 4K TV. Lol. I'm nervous about that, but I do feel like Analogue will have come up with a good solution, given how universally good their products have been, and if I'm waiting on the dock anyway, I can see how it turned out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The dock is also on my "hmmmm" list. $99 is a pretty steep ask. BUT not only is it a sexy charging dock, but it also has HDMI out (handy) and Bluetooth for controller pairing. Apparently, the Bluetooth controllers can also bring the docked unit out of sleep mode so it definitely turns it into a more Switch-like experience than just a standard HDMI charging dock. For me it'd be a no-brainer at $60. Maybe $70. $100? I'm gonna have to think on that.

Nymphae

Banned
Ship date kind of sucks.

I noticed they moved the buttons from the bottom right over to the centre. I was just thinking last night about how they were oddly placed originally, basically under your right palm on the lower right side of the face.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just saw that, May 2021. Ouch.

It kind of seems silly to pre-order something that's two months shy of a year away.

That might make pre-ordering it now a good idea, if other people feel the same way; get a guaranteed unit (as these always sell out), but... I don't know. It really puts me off.

Pre-ordering sight unseen was questionable for me in the first place. Doing it for a device that's a year away...

Just a way better device overall. I thought you were screwed for modding Vitas if you updated the firmware past a certain point? Haven't looked into this in a while, I should.
There's a way to frig it you go too far and i think there's a way to back peddle on the firmware. I had 3.5 IIRC so it was a matter of slapping the software on there and away i went. I use everdrive which has every game from every console from the dawn of time up to and including psx/N64. It's just a damned shame i can't play DC game on it.

C&C Red Alert on the go is pretty swank though

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Interesting but wouldn't buy it. Cartridges are too expensive. Suppose if you already have them then it's not bad.

I wish Nintendo would release a classic Game Boy with pre installed games.

bender

What time is it?
Why buy this over Anbernic RG350M which is like 100 bucks often on Ebay and plays everything + has HDMI out?

How's the emulation quality of the RG350M? Quality hardware and FGPA are Analogue's bread and butter, but they are always expensive.

Speaking of hardware, I guess my concern would be over the buttons and d-pad. I'm not sure that's exactly in Analogue's wheelhouse to date.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
How's the emulation quality of the RG350M? Quality hardware and FGPA are Analogue's bread and butter, but they are always expensive.

Speaking of hardware, I guess my concern would be over the buttons and d-pad. I'm not sure that's exactly in Analogue's wheelhouse to date.

It's as good as a raspberry pi gen 2, being that means you can emulate up to PS1 just fine but don't expect DC/Sega Saturn but perfect for everything from Atari to GBA in the 2D space.

I'm not knocking this thing in the slightest, but for me I feel like for the price what exactly does it do especially when you end up having to hack it anyway? Because we ALL know that's gonna happen.

Nymphae

Banned
Well it also comes with a music sequencer lol, really weird addition imo. I just like the portrait form factor and I assume it's not going to be very heavy which that RG350M looks to be.

bender

What time is it?
It's as good as a raspberry pi gen 2, being that means you can emulate up to PS1 just fine but don't expect DC/Sega Saturn but perfect for everything from Atari to GBA in the 2D space.

I'm not knocking this thing in the slightest, but for me I feel like for the price what exactly does it do especially when you end up having to hack it anyway? Because we ALL know that's gonna happen.

The FGPAs are programmed for emulation accuracy. If you want an experience as close to the original hardware as possible, that's what you are paying for here.

If the unit has an SD slot, you aren't exactly hacking to play ROMs. They release the product in state for legality reasons and generally open source firmware is available day one that allows you to play ROMs. It's as easy as pie to setup/use.

Blond

Banned
The FGPAs are programmed for emulation accuracy. If you want an experience as close to the original hardware as possible, that's what you are paying for here.

If the unit has an SD slot, you aren't exactly hacking to play ROMs. They release the product in state for legality reasons and generally open source firmware is available day one that allows you to play ROMs. It's as easy as pie to setup/use.

Alright, that makes sense. I generally take the path of least resistance when it comes to tech like this, but it's an enthusiast product no doubt and not for someone who just wants to play Earthbound on a handheld.

Top Bottom