• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Pocket. GBA, GBC, GB, Lynx, & More, 1440P Screen. HDMI-output with dock. $199, Launching May 2021.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The genius of the clam shell design of the GBA SP was that you could fold it up into your pocket at any time without worrying about scratching the screen. This design makes the screen more vulnerable.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The genius of the clam shell design of the GBA SP was that you could fold it up into your pocket at any time without worrying about scratching the screen. This design makes the screen more vulnerable.
At least they sell a hard carrying case for it.

But this particular shader is using the GPU and it's not very light either.
I really hope that they have a GameBoy pocket shader. I prefer the black pixel look vs the green pixel look.
37809353-51a5496e-2e25-11e8-8a94-890278343632.png

Nymphae

Banned
It's as good as a raspberry pi gen 2, being that means you can emulate up to PS1 just fine but don't expect DC/Sega Saturn but perfect for everything from Atari to GBA in the 2D space.

I like the price for the plastic version, but ffs they staggered the analogs on that one...

Agent X

I've had my eye on this for a while, but I don't think I'll take the plunge until the Lynx adapter is available. I'd love to play my Lynx games on a pocketable device with a high-quality screen, and this looks like just the ticket.

Also, I wonder what other Lynx abilities they support. For example, will there be a way to play multiplayer Lynx games on Analogue Pocket, by linking to other Analogue Pocket systems and/or actual Lynx systems?

The Lynx had some games with a vertically-oriented display, achieved by rotating the entire system 90 degrees. That worked well with the Lynx's physical design, but might not be comfortable with Analogue Pocket's "Game Boy style" layout. Does Analogue Pocket allow you to rotate just the screen image 90 degrees (rather than the entire system) and play the vertically-oriented Lynx games comfortably?

Don't get me wrong, I've got a pretty good collection of GB/GBC/GBA games, and I'd probably even consider picking up some Game Gear and NeoGeo Pocket games too. But I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Lynx, and there has been no "official" attempt to revive Lynx in any capacity, certainly not from Atari (who'd rather partner with AtGames to peddle handheld 2600 clones with sketchy emulation). This is the best shot the Lynx has gotten in about a quarter of a century to reenter the modern gaming landscape.

Eevee86

Think I'm going to grab one and the Game Gear adapter. I've got so many of those games lying around, but it's such a pain to play.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Think I'm going to grab one and the Game Gear adapter. I've got so many of those games lying around, but it's such a pain to play.
Rechargeable internal battery > six AA batteries

Banned
The vita is a better device though. I have an OG Vita with the LED screen

I think you wanted to say OLED screen, and that OLED screen is absolutely atrocious.
it has really bad clouding, or mura effect or whatever it's called on OLED panels.
as soon as it has to display an even dark colour it looks like the whole screen is made out of rice paper.

I literally sold my OLED Vita because of said abysmal screen.

the slim model is way better IMO

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

may 2021? ooof

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'll get it when the price drops.. very cool interesting idea..

jshackles

I'll get it when the price drops.. very cool interesting idea..
For what it's worth, the price is very unlikely to drop. These are usually done in really small batches that typically sell out of pre orders quickly. I see their SNES systems are out of stock, and likely won't return. They sold out of their $600 NES systems a few years back and brought them back "by popular demand"... and they almost immediately sold out again.

Unless they're going a different route this time, expect these to be full price forever until they run out of stock.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For what it's worth, the price is very unlikely to drop. These are usually done in really small batches that typically sell out of pre orders quickly. I see their SNES systems are out of stock, and likely won't return. They sold out of their $600 NES systems a few years back and brought them back "by popular demand"... and they almost immediately sold out again.

Unless they're going a different route this time, expect these to be full price forever until they run out of stock.
i want the console 100% non of that other shit tbh not even the adapters. ( i will just wait for a hack) i own plenty of carts but an adapter kills it imo .
so that is 200 + shipping + bullshit tax

then again basically paying them the money 1 year up front? nope

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Maybe that's why it's a little expensive? I like the idea, but I'm not paying $200 for it now. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

Reactions: TLZ

diffusionx

Gold Member
Man I put aside a bit of money for this... got a GB Everdrive for Christmas... then my life went in a very different direction than I thought it would. I'm not sure it's a good idea to get it anymore.

SilentUser

This is actually pretty awesome! Interested, too bad the release is still far off.

Also, never was a fan of the design, my hands are too big to make a GBA SP confortable :(

diffusionx

Gold Member
I could not have been in line faster, if the goddamn shipping calculator didn't take 5 minutes to load I would have had one. Fuck this nonsense.

Based on twitter, that seemed to happen to a lot of people.

Well, based on their other stuff, they are pretty quick to stock up after release. So maybe you won't get one in May but probably July or August.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I could not have been in line faster, if the goddamn shipping calculator didn't take 5 minutes to load I would have had one. Fuck this nonsense.
Yeah. When shit is in your Cart, it should stay in your cart. Then you’re in limbo while waiting for the calculating shipping screen to work. Damn if you open a new tab damned if you don’t. I feel you.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I suspect this is a PR gimmick. There is no point in not taking as many preorders as possible for an item that is a year out. I work with many of the manufacturers and assemblers Apple uses and they can supply small companies (think a thousand or two units) in 1-2 months normally, now 3 months tops.

jshackles

Yeah, this is straight bullshit. Also sat there waiting for the shipping calculator that never loaded.

Was kinda on the fence anyway for this, now it's gonna be a no buy from me.

Naibel

Of course they are, fucking scalpers man...

Oh well, my hype level has died down a bit since its announcement and I'm short on money right now so I'm gonna pass on this one. Preordering a year in advance seems like a sketchy move to me.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
All this portable gaming business lately got me to finally mod my OLED Vita last week, I'll probably just start using that now instead of waiting around for this fucking thing.

Huh. I couldn't even try cuz I was taking a nap. Now I don't know what's more annoying, the fact that I expected them to have more stock or that I was sleeping.

Nymphae

Banned
Gameboy Advance SP with backlight can hold me over till it becomes available. 👀

That's the only GB model I don't have that I want, it was probably the best form factor they ever made, even though I have always been partial to the silver Pocket without the battery light indicator. Slick as fuck.

Top Bottom