• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: Poor turnout not responsible for Trump's victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
Racial resentment was a better predictor of Trump support than Romney support. And was an explanatory variable in voting patterns based on education among whites.

Racial resentment also leads to skewed view of unemployment and the economy. I.e. higher racial animus among whites was correlated with perception of increasing unemployment despite it falling in 2012. Or as Michael Tesler put in his headline: Economic anxiety isn't driving racial resentment. Racial resentment is driving economic anxiety.

Data shows an increased association between the Democratic candidate and aiding black people.

Barack Obama won Indiana in 2008. He visited it 5 times in his first term. He helped bring unemployment there down. And it voted for Rmoney.

I'm not sure why it's astonishing to people that:
1) voting for Obama doesn't mean you can't be racist.
2) this campaign was more explicitly racially driven than past.
3) President Obama, while an inherent symbol of black America did not talk about it much in his first term or prior; and when he did there was backlash like that experienced in his second term.
4) the general landscape of racial issues in politics has changed from 2012 and 2008 and 2004 and so on.
5) the prospect of large numbers of people being something you consider bad, in this case racist, does not make it implausible.

This doesn't mean Clinton ran a good campaign, I mean it actually amounts to a critique in that she clearly talked to much and too explicitly about racial issues. And certain white people did not like that very much.
Yeah, people need to remember that we already have studies that show that racial bias in America (people who feel that blacks get too much and that whites don't get enough) was the strongest predictor of people switching their vote from Obama to Trump.

We already knew the cause of why people switched their votes.

wildfire

Banned
Um no, trump got more votes than Romney.

My mistake. Trump did end up getting more votes than Romney. Same article I verified this also asserts months ago voter turn out was better than the initial outlook was assumed to be. This poor turnout narrative shouldn't have persisted for as long as it did that this week's article needed to address it.

Yeah, people need to remember that we already have studies that show that racial bias in America (people who feel that blacks get too much and that whites don't get enough) was the strongest predictor of people switching their vote from Obama to Trump.

We already knew the cause of why people switched their votes.

No those studies simply looked at Trump voters as a group. It doesn't address specifically defectors who could be different as a group.

Trayvon Martin and Ferguson happened after Obama got re-elected. Black Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, etc etc... The game changed again, racial resentment got stoked, and hard. Sides were getting picked, and people dug the fuck in. Hillary went all in courting minority voters, and considering she's also a women many people (particularly men) don't like, she stood no fucking chance in wrangling in a certain demographic that was falling for "anti- PC", anti-immigration, Muslim hating, king birther Trump.

(Sandy Hook also happened after re-election and gun control became an ever bigger issue than usual, which is a BIG deal in places like CD-2 Maine. You saw far more anti-background check signs than anything Presidential)

If you couldn't see that as it was happening, especially in more rural areas, you're blind as fuck. A lot of shit can happen real quick to change the zeitgeist of certain voters. Legit "Economic Anxiety" was low on that totem pole.

Thanks White People. As a Black man who voted for Berny I knew this would happen. Everyone I knew who voted, voted for Berny. Black people have an unfortunate habit of if they can't get their way pick up the ball and go home.

It still blows my mind that there are people that voted for both Barack Obama and Donald Trump.

Jezebel, Huffpo, and a bunch of other shamelessly left-leaning sites ran articles post-election that basically said "Fellow White People, It's Our Fault," and there was a call for white people to talk to their white friends to make sense of what happened in the election.

So when you're done being mind-blown, you should go around asking your white friends, colleagues, neighbors, or complete strangers when you visit abroad if they voted for Trump and why. Because we minorities are not going to get any answers, and we did our part (shout out to black women who were like 96% NO to Trump).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Democrats need to regain the support of working-class whites, and the blathering from idiots who think this demographic is purely a cesspool of unapologetic racists that cannot be reached frustrates the hell out of me.

Democrats appealed to these people without being anti-immigrant or racist before, and we can do it again.

AP90

I don't see what's so puzzling about those who previously voted for Obama then went for Trump.

If you are severely disappointed by Obama whom you've put your voice in, and that despite your vote for him things don't change for the better for you (despite the whole CHANGE thing), wouldn't it just be natural to move your vote to someone coming form the opposite party? Why would you continue to vote for a party that disappoint you?

This above.

Then add, national debt, Isis/terrorism (especially the ones that happened in the US), could create the perfect storm.

Edit:

Rep Message with the added above: Make America great.....
Dem Message: Kind of came across like America is fine.. check my webpage.

=/

zethren

Banned
Democrats need to regain the support of working-class whites, and the blathering from idiots who think this demographic is purely a cesspool of unapologetic racists that cannot be reached frustrates the hell out of me.

Democrats appealed to these people without being anti-immigrant or racist before, and we can do it again.

It's going to take YEARS before they can, and I'm not convinced they can by 2018 and 2020. I think the die hard Trumpers are there to stay, and those ARE the unreachable ones.

A decade of hate propaganda against a democratic president and the "libruhl agenda" will do that.

Acorn

I can't understand switching from Obama to Trump. But I can't even understand regular swing voters for diametrically​ opposed parties, so yeah.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I like how the (failing) NY Times writes "President Obama", but keeps it at "Mr. Trump".

Not

Banned
Br00TCn.gif

Because Clinton was a woman looking for power. Black person getting to lead makes everyone warm and fuzzy, but a woman? Shut that shit DOWN.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's going to take YEARS before they can, and I'm not convinced they can by 2018 and 2020. I think the die hard Trumpers are there to stay, and those ARE the unreachable ones.

A decade of hate propaganda against a democratic president and the "libruhl agenda" will do that.

Certainly there are racist white people who are unreachable. But I don't think that necessarily has to apply to working class whites as a whole, and even some of the former die-hard Trumpers can be reached, I think. We've even seen some stories posted on GAF of former die-hards who didn't believe in his most extreme positions on stuff like Health Care or Immigration and got screwed as a result. Of course in those same topics you get gaffers being all IDGAF and just insulting these people. That doesn't really help the situation. That just makes the left look worse.

I highly doubt the regretful Trump voter who in Kentucky who ia going to lose any benefit they get from tge Appalachian Regional Commission under the Trump budget, is reading the GAF OT.

Anyway, it's not all white working class that felt compelled to switch to Trump, more than three quarters weren't ok with either voting explicitly for or at the very least being complicit too overt racism and bigotry and pussy grabbing.

People down on their luck chasing change candidates like dogs chasing cars. I feel for them, but they fucked up.

Democrats can take advantage of those voters in 4-8 years after Trump fucks them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom