• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study projects drop in Millenial voter turnout in 2018

All this can contribute to a sense of discouragement about traditional civic engagement, and members of the RAE cohort may opt for alternatives, such as volunteerism or expressing their views via social media

I plan to start removing fuckwits from my timeline if I see this in 2018 after the nonsense I saw in 2016.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you got time to march, you've got time to vote. Get your trifling ass to that booth.

Foffy

Banned
Thanks for this. Shaking internet fists at millennials and calling them lazy is going to do what exactly, people? You think that's some kind of enlightening, rousing speech? Because I'm pretty sure there's already a bunch of "millenials are ruining X" gathered together somewhere and that's a pretty old page. Hinging so much blame on one specific voting block that rarely if ever has had any impact on the national stage to begin with is quite a crock of sh*t and ya'll know it. Might as well hope AHCA gets repealed so the Boomers die off in droves when they can't afford their pills, that'll work just as well for meaningful dialogue.

The problem with this is that the Boomers are the only generation in history that has consumed more as they age. While your point may be dark to imply to sever the ties, they're also a generation with far more economic capital than Millennials, so they can likely handle the blows for a longer period of time than younger people, who would presumably only have being younger organisms as their sole advantage in that case. Anything regarding care would be worse because there is much less money to pay the absurd costs as is. Costs would be a killer as they already are for tens of thousands of Americans who don't even have insurance, but as this is a monetary situation, it's fair to say more money means more of a boat to float, even if the endgame is sinking into the sea regardless of the context.

I've mentioned and talked about the problems of a growing precariat class in posts before on GAF, and you could link the apathy and disengagement as part of it. The solution, however, is basically paramount to a revolution, a type of Occupy Wall Street to the entire cultural and political operating system. This is especially problematic as it is the Millennial generation that feels -- and has been implied implicitly -- that the system is "as is" and cannot change deeply; it all must be minor patches, not a new OS. Health care is a perfect battle ground to see this: we can be sensible and say it should be offered to citizens, but you have a political party that believes it's a commodity, and it's these conflicting positions that seem like the ones rooted to the core of the earth in the eyes of many people.

You really can't "fight" the ideas in this climate, but kind of hope those that hold them either die off or never get power ever, and the latter is what we're seeing unfold in our binary "pendulum" inspired system where things sway back and forth. It makes ideas like progress and sustainable policies seem like breezes in the wind, for they're fleeting and can be uprooted in a span of months. How many of us, just 12 months ago, would have imagined the most incompetent group of people representing a first world nation not only of this century, but perhaps of the last 100 years? America has this fungus happening right now.

In order for people to be engaged, you need to make people care, and this culture never really focuses on making people care about anything other than consumptions and fads. People who care and have compassion are flukes who likely found it not through the carved path society tells them to live, for example. The path carved out today is one of isolationism and "fuck you got mine" mentalities, where you can see a sea of humanity but everyone considers themselves bubbled away from literally everybody else. In fact, people likely care about issues because they see suffering in their own lives, not because we have a fucking pyramid of unaccountable views, ideals, and values that are a source of most of our misery in life. One cares about health care because they see family members normalize avoidance of doctors or stress over bills. Linking this back to my earlier post, many people are numb because the suffering and depth of problems is also overwhelming. Where do you begin to handle America's biggest looming issues? You can't even get some people to admit the reality of problems...

It's probably a much better "coping mechanism" to make darkly ironic Twitter memes than actually staring at the tornado of misery that we're caught in. What's the alternative other than being caught right back in the problem of parties, unmovable pillars, and the looseness of progress?

Zimmy64

Compulsory voting doesn't violate the right not to speak. In Australia, you still have the right "not to speak". Its called doing a donkey vote. You submit a blank ballot, draw a penis on it, tick every single candidate, whatever. No one knows because all votes are anonymous.

At the end of the day, all you have to do is get your name ticked off by the Australian Electoral Commission to not get slapped by a fine.

Fair enough, I did know that but it somehow slipped my mind. My second objection deals with the coercive nature of the act itself. This is more ideologically and I've tried to avoid ideologically battles in this thread but for me (libertarian-oriented me) the state has to met a very high burden before it can coerce and compulsory voting doesn't meet those burdens (For what it's worth welfare liberals take a similar approach to coercion so it's not strictly a libertarian idea). I know that's vague but I prefer to talk about turnout generally in this thread and not compulsory voting.

Picture it from my generations perspective, even before Trump the world looks like it's poised to turn into a fucking hellscape with automation looming, global warming probably making it so having kids is unethical, the housing market being so fucked that most people will never own one and people living paycheck to paycheck to maintain bare subsistence

And then trump happens, of course you're going to be depressed as shit and not want to vote

There is seriously something majorly fucked with this mindset. You should be angry and banging on the door to vote these fuckers out. Being a Xennial or whatever the hell they are calling it these days gives people like me the benefit of realizing that there are deleterious effects to the coddling the millennial generation overwhelmingly was exposed because the Xennials mostly were not raised that way. There is definitely an unwillingness to fight competitively and passionately for what's right (setting aside what is actually feasible for a moment). There is a terrible complacency in "losing" and getting the "shit end of the stick" in the millennial generation. It is turning out to be worse than the greed and entitlement of the baby boomers because they are actually getting what they want and fucking us all over in the process and millennials are just impotently going to Twitter and the like to vent their feelings. At some point, we have to say fuck feelings and actually do something about this shit.

Otherwise, the apathy of good people (i.e., the youth) on a mass scale can become a greater evil than the explicitly evil acts of the few.

Shame, because speaking as a Millennial (born in 84), I blame the lower voter turnout of younger voters a LOT more than I do voter turnout of Trump supporters.

JettDash

"The baby boomers fucked us hard, so why not just allow them to continue doing so. "

I swear, people who think like this deserve what they get.

Not

Banned
"The baby boomers fucked us hard, so why not just allow them to continue doing so. "

I swear, people who think like this deserve what they get.

It just really means their life is comparatively fucking amazing to most people on the planet.

It's just privilege.

This study is entirely based on historical data. You can't trust this, because with Trump around we have politics on every millennial's mind 24/7, unlike in the Obama years where you could tune out of politics pretty safely, only reading good news like "gay marriage is legal now".

Complain about millennials when 2018 is here and they don't vote. You can blame them for 2016, but everyone expected Clinton to win it anyway.

JettDash

This study is entirely based on historical data. You can't trust this, because with Trump around we have politics on every millennial's mind 24/7, unlike in the Obama years where you could tune out of politics pretty safely, only reading good news like "gay marriage is legal now".

Complain about millennials when 2018 is here and they don't vote. You can blame them for 2016, but everyone expected Clinton to win it anyway.

I do think it is likely they will be more motivated to vote than in 2010 and 2014.

I do think it is likely they will be more motivated to vote than in 2010 and 2014.

Is there any data on Millennial turnout in the recent special elections?

...You can't trust this, because with Trump around we have politics on every millennial's mind 24/7...

Yeah, I agree with this. Colbert, Trevor Noah, Seth Meyers, John Oliver are consistently trending in the top five. And in my personal experience, my originally apolitical friends are now pretty concerned with politics. I really don't want to believe this study. All I can do is motivate every one I know to vote.

Kenai

The problem with this is that the Boomers are the only generation in history that has consumed more as they age. While your point may be dark to imply to sever the ties, they're also a generation with far more economic capital than Millennials, so they can likely handle the blows for a longer period of time than younger people, who would presumably only have being younger organisms as their sole advantage in that case. Anything regarding care would be worse because there is much less money to pay the absurd costs as is. Costs would be a killer as they already are for tens of thousands of Americans who don't even have insurance, but as this is a monetary situation, it's fair to say more money means more of a boat to float, even if the endgame is sinking into the sea regardless of the context.

I've mentioned and talked about the problems of a growing precariat class in posts before on GAF, and you could link the apathy and disengagement as part of it. The solution, however, is basically paramount to a revolution, a type of Occupy Wall Street to the entire cultural and political operating system. This is especially problematic as it is the Millennial generation that feels -- and has been implied implicitly -- that the system is "as is" and cannot change deeply; it all must be minor patches, not a new OS. Health care is a perfect battle ground to see this: we can be sensible and say it should be offered to citizens, but you have a political party that believes it's a commodity, and it's these conflicting positions that seem like the ones rooted to the core of the earth in the eyes of many people.

You really can't "fight" the ideas in this climate, but kind of hope those that hold them either die off or never get power ever, and the latter is what we're seeing unfold in our binary "pendulum" inspired system where things sway back and forth. It makes ideas like progress and sustainable policies seem like breezes in the wind, for they're fleeting and can be uprooted in a span of months. How many of us, just 12 months ago, would have imagined the most incompetent group of people representing a first world nation not only of this century, but perhaps of the last 100 years? America has this fungus happening right now.

In order for people to be engaged, you need to make people care, and this culture never really focuses on making people care about anything other than consumptions and fads. People who care and have compassion are flukes who likely found it not through the carved path society tells them to live, for example. The path carved out today is one of isolationism and "fuck you got mine" mentalities, where you can see a sea of humanity but everyone considers themselves bubbled away from literally everybody else. In fact, people likely care about issues because they see suffering in their own lives, not because we have a fucking pyramid of unaccountable views, ideals, and values that are a source of most of our misery in life. One cares about health care because they see family members normalize avoidance of doctors or stress over bills. Linking this back to my earlier post, many people are numb because the suffering and depth of problems is also overwhelming. Where do you begin to handle America's biggest looming issues? You can't even get some people to admit the reality of problems...

It's probably a much better "coping mechanism" to make darkly ironic Twitter memes than actually staring at the tornado of misery that we're caught in. What's the alternative other than being caught right back in the problem of parties, unmovable pillars, and the looseness of progress?

My point was more that we are just as likely to get a meaningful discussion going about millenials being lazy do-nothings and how much it's there fault in particular Trump won and if we get mad enough at them they will go vote ect as we are waiting for "old people" to die off or change their racist turkey-necked ways. I agree with pretty much all of your reasoning, my argument was I'm tired of the all-too-common scapegoating and lashing out at a frankly very marginalized and hardworking age bracket (statistically speaking anyway, since the thread is doing the whole hive mind thing) They are consistently and alarmingly not showing up to vote election after election and that's the only "solution". Oh no, mail in ballots are too much work nationwide. Undoing a fraction of the damage gerrymandering has done before the current 30 somethings ever got out of school? Impossible. But those lazy millenials! How dare they not take responsibility for this huge mess! So lazy! *shakes cane*

I'm all for getting individuals to go vote and I'll be beating the streets every chance I get, but frankly we should be doing a hell of a lot better in the "solutions" department. We've had time for a little better than this, methinks.

Unfortunately, voting is always low amongst young people. I once read that Millenials vote more than their previous generations, at the same age (can't confirm it for sure). I think a lot of people don't even know what midterm elections are. Democrats need to work on this, as it's probably directly related to why they lose often during midterms, and we need to win in 2018.

TarNaru33

Banned
I think U.S's previous policies/laws have a lot to do with younger people not voting. It wasn't that long ago that people had to be 21 to even vote in most parts of U.S.

You also don't win younger voters by thinking they should "get in line", you get them to the voting booth by enticing them with good candidates and policies. Then there are other things that does not help increase voter turnout in general, like no voting holidays.

The current U.S (mainly controlled by conservatives) is anti-voting as much as it wants to applaud itself for being a "democratic" nation.

ViciousDS

Banned
Last year was the first time I ever voted.........and it won't be the last. Jokes on you polls!!!!!

my generation will just tweet their feelings

I think U.S's previous policies/laws have a lot to do with younger people not voting. It wasn't that long ago that people had to be 21 to even vote in most parts of U.S.

You also don't win younger voters by thinking they should "get in line", you get them to the voting booth by enticing them with good candidates and policies. Then there are other things that does not help increase voter turnout in general, like no voting holidays.

The current U.S (mainly controlled by conservatives) is anti-voting as much as it wants to applaud itself for being a "democratic" nation.

Again if Young people want good candidates get involved at the primary level.

TarNaru33

Banned
Again if Young people want good candidates get involved at the primary level.

If not mistaken, the youth vote has been increasing pretty well since the 1998 or so.

The issue is not on the younger people side that the system in place diminishes their desire to get into politics. The politicians don't want to represent or entice them because they feel they are unreliable and the potential young voters don't get politically active because no one actually speaks to them. We actually had that candidate and we threw him away in the democratic primary.

This has been improving by the way, but it is still a very underrepresented group.

EDIT: Honestly I do not think people should take too much out of this study. I do not believe we will see lower turnout in 2018, though I hesitate to say it will be such a high turnout that it swings the house or senate since it is a midterm. the thing every young voter forgets.

Pyrokai

Serious question: Is this something I should get depressed about? I'm trying so hard not to sink further into depression reading this news.

What I'm essentially asking is A) there is room for a different study to have a slightly better outlook and B) we can change this somehow.

As much as people blame the Democrats for not having "exciting candidates" or something like that, I don't think that's the answer.

GutsOfThor

What a completely useless generation. People need to start realizing that the future looks like shit and that the quicker an asteroid destroys this fucking planet the better.

If not mistaken, the youth vote has been increasing pretty well since the 1998 or so.

The issue is not on the younger people side that the system in place diminishes their desire to get into politics. The politicians don't want to represent or entice them because they feel they are unreliable and the potential young voters don't get politically active because no one actually speaks to them. We actually had that candidate and we threw him away in the democratic primary.

This has been improving by the way, but it is still a very underrepresented group.

L

Nope I'm not playing the Dem Primary rehash game.

And it absolutely is an issue. You can't just come in at the Presidential level.

Engage yourself at the State and Congressional level, at the primary level. Stop just expecting insprining candidates to show up, find them and fight for them at the ground level, get people in there. You can't sit out and not engage and then expect to be catered to and woo'd

And you won't win all the time so don't use not getting your guy as a crutch to sit out. You have to stay enaged.

TarNaru33

Banned
Nope I'm not playing the Dem Primary rehash game.

Nice defensive reflex there, completely ignoring a valid point, which is that the ones (exception of Obama) who tend to entice younger voters en mass are usually "liberal" 3rd parties and never have a chance in general elections.

And it absolutely is an issue. You can't just come in at the Presidential level.

Engage yourself at the State and Congressional level, at the primary level. Stop just expecting insprining candidates to show up, find them and fight for them at the ground level, get people in there. You can't sit out and not engage and then expect to be catered to and woo'd

And you won't win all the time so don't use not getting your guy as a crutch to sit out. You have to stay enaged.

Like I said earlier, it has been increasing. People complaining about it still being low does nothing and the incessant whining is ridiculous knowing this. If people really want the younger voters, then they should target them. Democratic party is not the same as the Republican party where they all get in line to reduce government interference in their lives as much as possible even to their long-term detriment.

Not getting one's guy sucks enthusiasm out of political activity since one realizes just how stupid U.S's political system is. Yet, younger voters been increasing in votes since they been able to.

Elders knowingly have a lot at stake so they make sure they always vote unlike the youth who are trying to find their place in life.

EDIT: In other words, cool your jets people. This is a much more different time than before.

It's simply a symptom of the failing American educational system

No... has a lot more reasons than this.

Is it fair to predict turnout for 2018 compared to 2016? Turnout for midterm elections is always lower than presidential elections.

Diablos

Great news for Republicans!

Seriously, this is depressing. Turning to "alternatives" like Facebook is not going to solve your problems.

Ever

Banned
If you didn't vote out of choice, you don't deserve to complain.

What a completely useless generation. People need to start realizing that the future looks like shit and that the quicker an asteroid destroys this fucking planet the better.

LOL

Chococat

If the Democrats keep pushing incremental change or status quo as their platform then they deserve every lost vote..

First, I said nothing about Dems. Stop with the blame game.

If young people do not find a reason to vote for themselves, then they deserve to have their future fucked for the rest of their lives. The responsibly is theirs. Get out of here with this needing a helicopter mom to drive young people to vote.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Imagine the turnout for voting if you were allowed to cast your ballot via facebook like, or double tapping the candidates face. Social media was a mistake.

Snark aside, the system needs to catch up with the times

jfkgoblue

Until election day is a national holiday I don't want to hear people shitting on the millennials for not voting. They're probably working to pay off their student loans.
I hate this excuse so much. You really think making Election Day a national holiday would help? These same people who cba to vote now, would be the same people to not vote because they would "waste" a day off.

We also have multiple solutions for those who can't make it to the polls on Election Day. Early and absintee voting is a thing. Also here in Michigan, polls are open from 7 am to 9 pm, that's 14 hours of time on Election Day to vote, you're telling me all these millenials work 13+ hour days and just can't get out to vote? And even they did, I can almost guarantee you that their employers would allow them to leave to go vote.

It's a fucking cop out for being lazy and it just pisses me off to see people use it as an excuse.
Imagine the turnout for voting if you were allowed to cast your ballot via facebook like, or double tapping the candidates face. Social media was a mistake.

Snark aside, the system needs to catch up with the times
So after all this Russia nonsense you want to connect voting to the internet? Voting cannot be online because it opens up the system to many other issues, not just hacking the results and online ballot stuffing, but what happens when a precincts voting site gets too much traffic? Or, what about DDoS attacks on certain one sided precincts?

MUnited83

For you.
I can see some people not bothering to vote anymore because even when the candidate you want wins by 3 million votes over the competition, it still loses. Easy to lose faith in a democratic system that doesn't actually work as a democracy.
Not that this justifies not voting, but I can see why turnout would be lower.
I hate this excuse so much. You really think making Election Day a national holiday would help? These same people who cba to vote now, would be the same people to not vote because they would "waste" a day off.

We also have multiple solutions for those who can't make it to the polls on Election Day. Early and absintee voting is a thing. Also here in Michigan, polls are open from 7 am to 9 pm, that's 14 hours of time on Election Day to vote, you're telling me all these millenials work 13+ hour days and just can't get out to vote? And even they did, I can almost guarantee you that their employers would allow them to leave to go vote.

It's a fucking cop out for being lazy and it just pisses me off to see people use it as an excuse.
Not all people live in states with early voting. Not all people live right next to the polling station. Some people work more than one job. Not all places have the stations open as much as 14 hours either.

FreezeSSC

Some county's with voter suppression close the polls much earlier.

Future

I can see some people not bothering to vote anymore because even when the candidate you want wins by 3 million votes over the competition, it still loses. Easy to lose faith in a democratic system that doesn't actually work as a democracy.

This only makes sense if you are in an overwhelming blue state. Turnout would have won the election in battleground states. Except then the excuse is "well I'm in a red state it's useless to vote." Excuses excuses

Further, Dems lost all branches of government. Could have made a dent if people cared to vote. But getting young people to vote is like pulling teeth. 99 reasons not to vote on any given day

jfkgoblue

Some county's with voter suppression close the polls much earlier.
Not all people live in states with early voting. Not all people live right next to the polling station. Some people work more than one job. Not all places have the stations open as much as 14 hours either.

You still have absintee ballots which are ridiculously easy to do, I had no line and just had to show my ID(they didn't even require it, you could just sign an affidavit saying that it was really you). All you had to do was say you were going to be unable to make it to the polls on Election Day.

And this is in a state without early voting.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So after all this Russia nonsense you want to connect voting to the internet? Voting cannot be online because it opens up the system to many other issues, not just hacking the results and online ballot stuffing, but what happens when a precincts voting site gets too much traffic? Or, what about DDoS attacks on certain one sided precincts?

For as long as I can remember people have been trying to get the young vote out there and cycle over cycle its slipping. Angry posts and finger wagging doesnt fix it either. So its keep the cycle going or create a modern system that'll get a "millennial" to participate. Your concern about foreign meddling is valid though.

This is kind of stupid. 2010 and 2014 can't really be used to predict 2018, we had a Democratic president then.

Then vote to spite the party that wants to take away your right to vote entirely.

jfkgoblue

For as long as I can remember people have been trying to get the young vote out there and cycle over cycle its slipping. Angry posts and finger wagging doesnt fix it either. So its keep the cycle going or create a modern system that'll get a "millennial" to participate. Your concern about foreign meddling is valid though.
If you can't bring yourself to vote when it requires a little bit of effort(not a lot, mind you) that's on you, not the system.

I see the usual suspects are still going on about Bernie or Busters instead of blaming themselves for running an incompetent corrupt establishment apparatchik. Did you guys check under your beds for Berniebros tonight? Maybe you'll find Clinton's emails there too.

In another time and place these YAAAAS QUEEN HillGAF zealots would not be out of place in say the Khmer Rouge going by their behavior here doing the primaries and leading up to the election.

Anyone that did not accept their dogma and fall in on the DNC party line was forced to engage in Maoist self-confession for the crime of supporting a people's candidate over a Wall Street hack and then would exit the thread to be metaphorically executed (banned) for what they confessed as in the film The Killing Fields.

Is it any wonder that millenials don't want anything to do with the morally and intellectually bankrupt Democratic Party and would rather just stay home?

You're lucking Amir0x has gone missing because he would not stand for such a post.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Always the bubble argument...

But sure when folks argue that millennials aren't voting because both sides are the same, and because Trump won so why bother... The ones saying just vote are in the bubble.
Young people voted in the UK. Completely changed the election result. You guys need to properly organise rather than blame "those damn lazy kids!"

Severance

I have to think this is attributed mainly to the loss of faith in our political system. This is a generation that grew up on George W. Bush, then voted Barack Obama in only to watch the Republicans shut down the government and block any bill they can. And well, Donald Trump. The government has become largely ineffective and unable to get anything done due to bipartisan politics. The days of compromise are gone. Not to mention the gerrymandering that occurred while Obama was in office. Gerrymandering makes many liberal votes (millennials are a big part of this group) useless. Voter drop off is due to despair really. It has nothing to do with laziness or being useless. It's easy to blame people and call them names without looking at the real problem.

I see the usual suspects are still going on about Bernie or Busters instead of blaming themselves for running an incompetent corrupt establishment apparatchik. Did you guys check under your beds for Berniebros tonight? Maybe you'll find Clinton's emails there too.

In another time and place these YAAAAS QUEEN HillGAF zealots would not be out of place in say the Khmer Rouge going by their behavior here doing the primaries and leading up to the election.

Anyone that did not accept their dogma and fall in on the DNC party line was forced to engage in Maoist self-confession for the crime of supporting a people's candidate over a Wall Street hack and then would exit the thread to be metaphorically executed (banned) for what they confessed as in the film The Killing Fields.

Is it any wonder that millennial don't want anything to do with the morally and intellectually bankrupt Democratic Party and would rather just stay home?

that's a lot of words to say a whole lot of nothin

the peoples candidate also lost by 3 million votes, but keep bringing up the entire cult of personality stuff like it means anything.

But it's true, we need a winner. Someone who hasn't lost any elections. Bernie 2020!

Literally every demographic drops in participation in midterm elections. How the fuck is this news?

I'd much much much rather have the far more useful comparison to 2010 or 2014.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How about trying more grass roots leftist candidates?

jfkgoblue

I have to think this is attributed mainly to the loss of faith in our political system. This is a generation that grew up on George W. Bush, then voted Barack Obama in only to watch the Republicans shut down the government and block any bill they can. And well, Donald Trump. The government has become largely ineffective and unable to get anything done due to bipartisan politics. The days of compromise are gone. Not to mention the gerrymandering that occurred while Obama was in office. Gerrymandering makes many liberal votes (millennials are a big part of this group) useless. Voter drop off is due to despair really. It has nothing to do with laziness or being useless. It's easy to blame people and call them names without looking at the real problem.
People throw out gerrymandering as if it's the cause of Trump. It isn't.

Republicans hold both the White House, and the US Senate, and you cannot blame that on gerrymandering.

Acorn

They need someone to connect with them like Corbyn has here. First time in god knows when the young actually turned up.

Top Bottom