• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: The Xbox One - Mini Review & Comparison to Xbox 360/PS4

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm not sure what you're basing that on.

Probably by the standards and expectations of each platform. You pretty much expect a higher resolution and frame rate unhinged port on PC. A game like NFS Rivals is a crying shame and outside of having a stable 30fps (maybe) on PC it has nothing over the PS4 version.

This should not be happening. There are other examples but Durante has fixed them but it should not take a forum member to do this.

TheCloud

Banned
And you really think that 270X will be able to handle games for 3 years at same eye candy that PS4 provides. No way. Especially when no developer give a shit about optimization of PC games.

A lot of you guys have no idea what you are talking about.

A R9 270x is already at least on par with a PS4, so no matter what comes for that platform you will at least be able to run it at PS4-level detail.

sTaTIx

The pictures come from them, I made for comparison gif. (COD:Ghost)
GHOSTXBvsPS_3_zpsb3735c93.gif
GHOSTXBvsPS_2_zpsbb7dad00.gif
GHOSTXBvsPS_1_zpsed0e721c.gif
GHOSTXBvsPS_4_zps2b57e2b0.gif

Quite of different.
Guess which version Polygon gave the lower score to?

erragal

we have discussed this topic to death....

And yet individuals still persist with fud about $2000 pcs and how pcs in console price range will be surpassed in x amount of years. None of it is remotely truthfact; you should be chastising the people making the spurious claims not the ones calling them out.

If you're dropping 2 grand on a PC, you are most certainly not keeping pace with consoles, but outpacing them by several degrees of magnitude.

Ask PC - GAF and I bet they could set a solid competitor together for 500 or so. Wouldn't be as sleek and whatnot, but them the breaks.

I doubt you could build a $500 PC that runs AC4 as well as the PS4 does. Same for Ghosts. Probably the same for BF4.

In a year, maybe. Right now? Nope.

I'm a PC first guy when it comes to multiplats. I can't afford to upgrade my PC right now (I have a good GPU but my CPU and mobo need replacing), so I got a PS4 to tide me over as I save to do a huge build next year.

This is a great review. It provides me facts, and then the reviewer concludes with their opinions on the whole affair. I'd expect nothing less from a site with the word 'tech' in it's title.

hint hint.

Facepalm_227785.jpg

Consoles will never be on the same level as a PC that has more money put into. YES, we all know this!

Thanks for the impressive facepalm picture.

You need to back off the throttle, dude. There are many pros and cons to going PC over consoles, and vice versa. It's a discussion worth having.

I doubt you could build a $500 PC that runs AC4 as well as the PS4 does. Same for Ghosts. Probably the same for BF4.

In a year, maybe. Right now? Nope.

I'm a PC first guy when it comes to multiplats. I can't afford to upgrade my PC right now (I have a good GPU but my CPU and mobo need replacing), so I got a PS4 to tide me over as I save to do a huge build next year.

This is a great review. It provides me facts, and then the reviewer concludes with their opinions on the whole affair. I'd expect nothing less from a site with the word 'tech' in it's title.

hint hint.

That is literally how every generation of gaming has worked. Consoles get the advantage at first, PC surpasses quickly, but consoles get the advantage of a targeted spec and exclusives, among other things.

That being said, I don't think that's a bet you really want to make, as the only hurdle I see would be BF4. The other two have shit PC ports

ZeroEdge

Good article and the least sensstionsal. For most games (barring sloppy PC ports) PC will look better than PS4, PS4 will look better than Xbone that's a given, no matter what secret sauce you want to believe in. However like Anand says if system A doesn't have the games you want then get system B, and for multiplatform PS4 is the price performance champ.

Based on the fact that almost all games released by these companies recently have been shit ports.

Shit ports in the sense that they've locked framerate to the same framerate as what is currently on consoles or don't perform as well as they should but in the end, which multiplat game has had a worse version on PC compared to the next gen consoles?

Probably by the standards and expectations of each platform. You pretty much expect a higher resolution and frame rate unhinged port on PC. A game like NFS Rivals is a crying shame and outside of having a stable 30fps (maybe) on PC it has nothing over the PS4 version.

This should not be happening. There are other examples but Durante has fixed them but it should not take a forum member to do this.

In the worst case scenarios, the PC ports are at the very least at the same level of next gen. NFS Rivals is a good example. Even in that shitty port situation, the game can at least be played at a higher than 1080p resolution. The locked framerate is a ridiculous problem that exists on every version.

TheCloud

Banned
In the worst case scenarios, the PC ports are at the very least at the same level of next gen. NFS Rivals is a good example. Even in that shitty port situation, the game can at least be played at a higher than 1080p resolution. The locked framerate is a ridiculous problem that exists on every version.

Exactly, when we say "shitty PC ports" we mean by the standards of that platform. They will still run superior to console versions due to brute force.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
A lot of you guys have no idea what you are talking about.

A R9 270x is already at least on par with a PS4, so no matter what comes for that platform you will at least be able to run it at PS4-level detail.

LOL dude don't pull that card. I own a GTX 770, and primarily a PC gamer for now, and I agree with the fact that when it comes to optimization, developers don't give a shit about PC.

It's the absolute brute force which helps in better performance with higher fidelity.

Even PC only games like COH 2,and ROME II have been absolute shit when it comes to performance.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For IQ

PC>PS4>XB1

It will probably be like that for a while now. Honestly, its pretty sad that a lot of reviewers seemed to brush this under the rug. Implying the games look the same when they don't.

Anand is always a solid reviewer. The truth of the matter is people are going to buy what they want but at least he put up a decent and levelheaded comparison.

sTaTIx

You need to back off the throttle, dude. There are many pros and cons to going PC over consoles, and vice versa. It's a discussion worth having.

This isn't the thread to do it. As far as I'm concerned, this being an Xbox One/PS4 thread, most of the posts I've seen by PC fans are off-topic at best, threadcrap at worst.

Create a new thread if you want to debate the respective merits of your preferred gaming platforms.

Pistolero

This pavlovian urge to bring PC into the picture, when the comparison is supposed to be limited to two consoles is incomprehensible.
The other thing that baffles my mind is why MS didn't go with a much faster embedded memory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the eSRAM practical bandwidth sounds comparable to that of the GDDR5...except there is at least 5 GB of the latter, easy to take advantage of. Couldn't MS have opted fo eDRAM instead?

Vooduu

What "throttle"? Yea there's a discussion when the basic hard facts are never distorted. A console will run the same games and provide a decent experience years from now for a decent price as compared to a gaming rig at the SAME price. Then people bring in upgrades into the argument. What's the point? I'm not talking about running the games at high ass resolutions. We're talking about running the games at a stable framerate and 1080P with the same $400 dollar hardware we bought.

Gaf just likes to flame anybody who talks any positive of a console over a PC. Never mind the fact I have a damn PC.

This isn't the thread to do it. As far as I'm concerned, this being an Xbox One/PS4 thread, most of the posts I've seen by PC fans are off-topic at best, threadcrap at worst.

Create a new thread if you want to debate the respective merits of your preferred gaming platforms.

Wrong. This is a review of a new console by one of the biggest PC hardware review and news sites. He specifically compares PC as an platform in the review to both.

In other reviews? Sure. Not for this one. Not even close.

What "throttle"? Yea there's a discussion when the basic hard facts are never distorted. A console will run the same games and provide a decent experience years from now for a decent price as compared to a gaming rig at the SAME price. Then people bring in upgrades into the argument. What's the point? I'm not talking about running the games at high ass resolutions. We're talking about running the games at a stable framerate and 1080P with the same $400 dollar hardware we bought.

Gaf just likes to flame anybody who talks any positive of a console over a PC. Never mind the fact I have a damn PC.

You literally don't buy a PC to keep it static. That's one of the biggest advantages of the platform.

And yes, I'm clearly flaming people, despite buying a PS4 at launch and, you know, specifically staying the advantages consoles have

Looking at how badly ported most of the next gen games have been there is no way a 500$ PC will beat the PS4 if you are not buying demo or second hand parts.

And yes i own and put together my own PC´s.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shit ports in the sense that they've locked framerate to the same framerate as what is currently on consoles or don't perform as well as they should but in the end, which multiplat game has had a worse version on PC compared to the next gen consoles?

Yes, shame on EA for that. That's why I say that other than the IQ benefits a game like Rivals almost has nothing over PS4. It should not be that way. Our PC's can run Rivals in away which spanks PS4 but frame rate on PC should never be in question due to a dev locking it to 30fps.

sTaTIx

This pavlovian urge to bring PC into the picture, when the comparison is supposed to be limited to two consoles is incomprehensible.
The other thing that baffles my mind is why MS didn't go with a much
faster embedded memory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the eSRAM practical bandwidth sounds comparable to that of the GDDR5...except there is at least 5 GB of the latter, easy to take advantage of. Couldn't MS have opted fo eDRAM instead?

It's perfectly understandable that Anandtech (briefly) brought the PC into the picture as a basis for comparison, seeing as they are first-and-foremost a PC-centric website.

It's less understandable to see all these posts, waging a circuitous debate that shows no signs of ending, by PC fans invading a next-gen console thread.

The pictures come from them, I made for comparison gif. (COD:Ghost)
GHOSTXBvsPS_3_zpsb3735c93.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_2_zpsbb7dad00.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_1_zpsed0e721c.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_4_zps2b57e2b0.gif

Quite of different.

Oh man. This is like egg on the face of the sites that said there were no issues. Obviously the patch has made a huge different in framerate and resolution for COD. I would assume Polygon will have to update their review, since they said there were PS4 framerate issues, that appear to be fixed, or an issue with the game running over 60fps.

ironcreed

Banned
Pretty much what we expected. But I still want an Xbox One first because it just has more exclusives and features that interest me. The difference in multiplats is not going to be big enough for me to throw a fit over, just like it was wasn't when I enjoyed inferior multiplats on PS3 this past generation. At the end of the day, it is still going to be a big leap over the 360 and PS3, so I'll be fine. Besides, I'll eventually be picking up a PS4 as well.

Abounder

Banned
Your post should have stopped right here. People want the easiest and the most affordable way to play third party games. If it came down to exclusives, than consoles wouldn't exist.

I agree only on the bold which basically means there will be more glory days for the 360/PS3 even though PS4/X1 will probably combine for millions

Zoned

Actively hates charity

1. When you are restricting frame rates for a game an open gaming platform having way more power than any console, you know the developer didn't give any fuck.

Also lot of times same low resolution UI is slapped on PC version, one example that I remember is the NFS most wanted.

2. Also as I said earlier, PC only games like COH II, and ROME II have been completely shit when it comes to performance.

3. AC IV is another half-assed port as well. It doesn't take any advantage of multiple cores, and you don't notice any changes in frame rates even after turning off many settings.

Also, developer like treyarch recommends a 780 and 6GB RAM to play a hot mess like Ghosts which ideally should run even on a toaster. And this is just starting of the next-gen...

Why would a user spend $$ every 2 years or so to play shit ports like these?

Sec0nd

From Assassins Creed thread.

Those are all from the PS4. Before and after the 1080p patch.

We need some current gen comparison in here. Because the X1 version really does look like crap. And if I didn't know any better I would say it looks almost worse than the current gen. How atrocious must CoD look on PS360?

coldfoot

Banned
PC is not an alternative for many people, please stop pretending as if it's as convenient to use. You can't come home from a hard day's work, sit on your couch across from your big screen HDTV, and press the on button of your controller (or yell xbox on like a douche) and be playing within 30 seconds with zero fucks given in graphics settings or any other technical issue.

Interfectum

The reason why I don't like seeing PC brought up in this regard is when talking about PS4 vs. Xbox One we have a clear winner. If the argument changed to something like "COD is better on xbone" "BF4 is better on PS4" "AC4 is better on Wii U (lol)" then sure, the argument could easily go to "just get a PC and be done with it."

But in this case of next-gen consoles, if you want a system that has the best third party ports we actually have one that is far and away the clear winner.

sTaTIx

Wrong. This is a review of a new console by one of the biggest PC hardware review and news sites. He specifically compares PC as an platform in the review to both.

In other reviews? Sure. Not for this one. Not even close.

PC was brought up briefly as a basis for comparison (and perspective). Which amounted to a whole sentence or two. Other than that, this thread and that review are clearly discussing next-gen console gaming (hint: look at the titles), which we can all agree are a vastly different beast altogether from PC gaming.

If this thread were about a CNET review, does that mean we get free reign to start a drawn-out debate on whether or not tablet or smartphone gaming is better than the next-gen consoles?

When you're upgrading a PC, it is not to keep parity with consoles. It is to surpass them with ease. Bleeding edge kind of thing.

Not entirely true. Because of console optimization further along into their lifespans, system requirements for equivalent performance on PC tend to grow, and upgrading PC becomes necessary to keep up with this moving target.

erragal

It's perfectly understandable that Anandtech (briefly) brought the PC into the picture as a basis for comparison, seeing as they are first-and-foremost a PC-centric website.

It's less understandable to see all these posts, waging a circuitous debate that shows no signs of ending, by PC fans invading a next-gen console thread.

Did you follow the narrative? Every comment is a response to repeated garbage about 2000$ pcs being necessary and the sentiment that a pc within console price range cannot have the same longevity at console iq. These assertions are false and should be debated and knocked down. Don't support false assertions just because this console cycle is a year behind pc hardware at release.

Consoles will never be on the same level as a PC that has more money put into. YES, we all know this!

Meh, I believe you can still build a comparable PC, while splurging maybe $100 extra to beef up the GPU, and still come out ahead.

Why do I say to splurge and upgrade the GPU? I believe that you will save much more over time when it comes to buying games when compared to consoles. Steam sales ftw! We can also factor in Gold/PS+ memberships for those that play online. Their benefits are a bit of a crap shoot and it's hard to tell what you'll be getting so early in this gen compared to last gen where they could give away great games.

There are other benefits to a PC as well but no need to go in depth.

In the end I'll still have my gaming PC, 3ds, PS4, Vita TV (C'mon Sony, make it happen!) and if the exclusives are good enough an Xbox One and Wii U so whatever.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I have zero problem with Anand bringing PC into the picture. This is a site that reviews $800 video cards, water cooling systems, overclocked parts, absolutely stupid RAID0 SSD arrays, etc. At the same time they review $99 video cards, budget CPUs, $149 tablets, etc.

Bringing the PC into the picture calls it like he sees it. PS4 absolutely holds a lead over xbone. BUT (and he is 100% right), if 99% of what you care about are multi-platform titles, you are ALWAYS going to be better off with a PC. Always. The reason for buying either consoles are for their exclusive offerings.

For me personally, Sony's first party output is ridiculous.. absolutely insane. As for multi-platform titles, I haven't gotten around to getting a uATX system setup running big picture mode, and until I do I really dont' want to bother with PC. With that being said, it's on my near term projects list. uATX PC on my 46" TV with a DS4 or Wii U Pro Controller for multi-plats, absolutely. At this point I'll probably wait until I can get a $200 card that will bury PS4 at 1080p and then jump in head first.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Meh, I believe you can still build a comparable PC, while splurging maybe $100 extra to beef up the GPU, and still come out ahead.

Why do I say to splurge and upgrade the GPU? I believe that you will save much more over time when it comes to buying games when compared to consoles. Steam sales ftw! We can also factor in Gold/PS+ memberships for those that play online. Their benefits are a bit of a crap shoot and it's hard to tell what you'll be getting so early in this gen compared to last gen where they could give away great games.

PS+ free games collection >>>Steam sales...

coldfoot

Banned
BUT (and he is 100% right), if 99% of what you care about are multi-platform titles, you are ALWAYS going to be better off with a PC. Always.
No. Convenience is a BIG ISSUE with PC's. Big enough to shift development focus from PC to console for most publishers.

TheCloud

Banned
PC is not an alternative for many people, please stop pretending as if it's as convenient to use. You can't come home from a hard day's work, sit on your couch across from your big screen HDTV, and press the on button of your controller (or yell xbox on like a douche) and be playing within 30 seconds with zero fucks given in graphics settings or any other technical issue.

I don't think anybody is pretending its just as convenient. But its still an alternative.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't think anybody is pretending its just as convenient. But its still an alternative.
Hunting your own deer or growing your own crops is also an alternative to going to the supermarket. PC's and consoles have little crossover, much less than XB1/PS4 crossover.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I want multiplats and a healthy library of exclusive first-party titles.

No-one in their right mind ever said they exclusively play third-party games, what kind of reasoning is that? It's the combination of better first-party studio's, better third-party versions of games, a hundred dollars savings, and a comfy couch console experience.

The "just go build a PC" line maybe works in a vacuum, but there are many, many people out there that want a cheap, easy-to-setup console for their living room and not the hassle of a PC.

sTaTIx

And yet, if someone were to tell you that a 7800GTX from 2006 is able to run games equivalent to GTA V, The Last of Us, or Killzone 3, he'd be laughed out of the forum.

You know what? Fair enough. Those games are not up to the quality that they should be on the platform. I'll step away from the thread. My intention was not to argue on behalf of PC when I started reading the thread but I find myself unable to ignore posts that I completely disagree with.

I have zero problem with Anand bringing PC into the picture. This is a site that reviews $800 video cards, water cooling systems, overclocked parts, absolutely stupid RAID0 SSD arrays, etc. At the same time they review $99 video cards, budget CPUs, $149 tablets, etc.

Bringing the PC into the picture calls it like he sees it. PS4 absolutely holds a lead over xbone. BUT (and he is 100% right), if 99% of what you care about are multi-platform titles, you are ALWAYS going to be better off with a PC. Always. The reason for buying either consoles are for their exclusive offerings.

For me personally, Sony's first party output is ridiculous.. absolutely insane. As for multi-platform titles, I haven't gotten around to getting a uATX system setup running big picture mode, and until I do I really dont' want to bother with PC. With that being said, it's on my near term projects list. uATX PC on my 46" TV with a DS4 or Wii U Pro Controller for multi-plats, absolutely. At this point I'll probably wait until I can get a $200 card that will bury PS4 at 1080p and then jump in head first.

there are other things being brought to the table here. price is a very valid factor. convenience a lesser factor. I think it's a bad time to buy right now, in terms of PC hardware, but I think you can usually build a very competitive (when compared to next gen consoles) PC about a year after the consoles launch, for a reasonable price that will last you most of the generation if you're smart speccing it out.

many of the people getting sub PS4 performance on Assassin's Creed 4 and COD: Ghosts have spent a lot more than $400 on their PCs.

I mean, I think a good PC is worth it. I spend lots on my PC and I fully feel all that coin spent gets me great value, but my situation was either buy a PS4 and enjoy multiplats on that for a year before building a new PC, or build a new PC now and spend a lot more than $400 extra to ensure it'll give me the kind of IQ and performance I want for the entire generation compared to what I'll need to spend this time next year.

gsync and consumer oculus are going to make the PC of the near future incredible and worth every penny required to drive ridiculous framerates and high resolutions. for something hooked up to my TV... the PS4 is going to do an absolutely fantastic job.

on a 1080p TV last gen you really needed to game on PC to fully appreciate it. this gen, you'll need to go higher to fully appreciate your PC. and don't get me wrong, I will... but the concessions to IQ at least in the here and now are much more minimal between PC and PS4 than they were between PC and 360/PS3.

methane47

Bringing the PC into the picture calls it like he sees it. PS4 absolutely holds a lead over xbone. BUT (and he is 100% right), if 99% of what you care about are multi-platform titles, you are ALWAYS going to be better off with a PC. Always. The reason for buying either consoles are for their exclusive offerings..

I don't think i agree.
With Games on PC its almost always hit or miss.

First you don't even know if the game will be released on PC at all.
or if will be released on time with the other versions.

What kind of support will the game have after release on PC.
Is my graphics card / driver combination going to be sufficient for said game?
Is this game going to cause my computer to blue screen and corrupt?
Is the game going to be a terrible port of console version?
Are there going to be limitations to the game because of the above?

How much DRM am I going to have to swim through to be able to play the game?
Is this game/DRM going to even work in my country?

That said... I have no problems what so ever with the comparison's to PC. but I just dont think that PC is the best bet EVERY TIME.

And yet, if someone were to tell you that a 7800GTX from 2006 is able to run games equivalent to GTA V, The Last of Us, or Killzone 3, he'd be laughed out of the forum.

Good thing it isn't 2006 anymore, then.

You've lost me entirely. It's a PC centric cite. PC was brought up and recommended over everything, as expected. It matters. I'm not bringing that shit up in the general review thread, but in this one it's obviously fair game.

And I'm not doing this silly upgrade conversation dance. I own a PC and PS4 specifically to get the best of both worlds. I do not need to have the differences explained to me by people less knowledgeable than I (when it comes to what I want out of the platforms).

TheCloud

Banned
I don't think i agree.
With Games on PC its almost always hit or miss.

First you don't even know if the game will be released on PC at all.
or if will be released on time with the other versions.

What kind of support will the game have after release on PC.
Is my graphics card / driver combination going to be sufficient for said game?
Is this game going to cause my computer to blue screen and corrupt?
Is the game going to be a terrible port of console version?
Are there going to be limitations to the game because of the above?

How much DRM am I going to have to swim through to be able to play the game?
Is this game/DRM going to even work in my country?

marlon_brando.gif

Top Bottom