• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech Wii U Teardown

StevieP

Banned
ding ding ding

and if the WiiU specs might not up to recieving the big third party games, which are the favourite software for alot of people, then it is a a reason to be concerned

Poor third party support will have little to nothing to do with specs. Moreso "demographics" and "return on investment". It's publishers that decide where the content goes, not the development teams who are tasked to retool an engine to accomodate a different architecture.

If that's true, they shouldn't have put "Enhanced Broadway" on their developer literature.* Or run Wii in sandbox mode.

Arkam was proven a ligit source and this is what he said of the PDF.

"Enhanced Broadway" is a very... broad definition. You can't take away much, if anything, from that statement alone. For reference, a 729mhz Wii broadway has been quoted as "better, clock for clock, at running general purpose code than a PPE".

Stewox

Banned
Anandtech talks about their Wii U teardown on their podcast this week: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6487/the-anandtech-podcast-episode-11

Starts at 1:20. Funny story about taking off the IHS.

Thanks, I didn't kind of follow everythign detailed of sorts, extra busy week and it won't stop soon, so I ask if there was more info discovered on the tiny 3rd chip on the MCM; i have tried to search but don't have the time I usually had.

This WiiU MCM 3-chip thing reminded me about Triforce ... would be a cool nickname but MCM is shorter oh well.

hachi

Banned
Perhaps Nintendo bet against this "AAA(...)" nonsense, and that may be a good thing.

Just as the interface is a console / handheld / tablet middle ground that acknowledges the death of a one-screen TV-centered living room, the future of gaming is likely not to be found in high budget popcorn experiences. Then again, the $60 game prices are a mistake in my estimation.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Perhaps Nintendo bet against this "AAA(...)" nonsense, and that may be a good thing.

Just as the interface is a console / handheld / tablet middle ground that acknowledges the death of a one-screen TV-centered living room, the future of gaming is likely not to be found in high budget popcorn experiences. Then again, the $60 game prices are a mistake in my estimation.

The prices are a mistake and go against Nintendo's philosophy of aiming for the mainstream rather than hardcore exclusively. We can perhaps blame the yen to dollar relationship and Nintendo needing to stop their own losses right now. But it's still not a good thing.

Otherwise, the overall design of the system really reinforces, to me at least, one notion: that this console is positioned to give Nintendo a potential exit strategy from traditional game consoles or set top boxes.

I am imagining a Wii Free (ha), which essentially turns the entire thing into a tablet with game controls on it, or maybe a hand-held dock for a tablet that slides out. Somewhat more powerful than Wii U is today, compatible with Wii U software. And sports the same streaming tech as Wii U. But instead of streaming from console to gamepad, the gamepad is the console. And it streams to an optional base station that connects to the big living room screen.

Such a thing might likely also mean the end of Nintendo's other portable device lineage. I do wonder what might happen though from Nintendo going all-in with a single device which serves both as a mobile and living room device. If nothing else, their development resources would be focused in one location.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Perhaps. But if you were going to bet on whether dedicated home gaming or portable gaming was more under pressure from the likes of tablets and smartphones, I'm not sure I'd put all my eggs in the portable basket.

mhayze

There are four 4Gb (512MB) Hynix DDR3-800 devices surrounding the Wii U's MCM (Multi Chip Module). Memory is shared between the CPU and GPU, and if I'm decoding the DRAM part numbers correctly it looks like these are 16-bit devices giving the Wii U a total of 6.4GB/s of peak memory bandwidth.
Anand can no longer correctly calculate memory bandwidth?

33 Watt in-game (though it's just NSMBU) is miniscule.

800mhz * 2 bytes (16 bit) * 4 = 6400MB/s
What's the problem with the math?

800mhz * 2 bytes (16 bit) * 4 = 6400MB/s
What's the problem with the math?

Anand corrected himself in the article. And I believe this was him in the comments section...

"Nope you were right in the first place. Hynix lists GDDR5 at data rate, but DDR3 is listed pre-DDR-rate. So 12.8GB/s is correct. "

Top Bottom