• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the next Edge 10 is...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Tieno said:
I'm much more interested in the the text of the H3 review. Those are usually pretty good.

Here's the final paragraph, pretty much summing up everything they thought about the game.

"The total lack of compromise in each and every single detail is breathtaking. Everything works with precision, everything is set up the same way, every barrier within reason has been lifted, and you never need to do any of it alone. Halo 3 was built to be used, built to be shared, built to be loved and built to last. It's a safe bet that it will still be enjoyed by a thriving community years from now. In substance it's nothing new, merely a magnificent, beautiful monster if an FPS sequel. In concept and execution, though, Halo 3 is the future."

besada

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm all like "lol" about that. Thank you for playing, Edge, but you just took a wrong turn there. EDIT: I'm talking about the Halo 3 ten, of course.

They must have actually played it.

And wow at Lair and Halo both.

puebla

didn't expect Edge to give H3 a 10 because of how harsh they are. congrats to Bungie, all i've read on forum boards is 99% of people praising it, sp & mp. i wish gaming wasn't so expensive nowadays so i could give it a go. :/

Taker666

Is Halo 3 "revolutionary" as a sequel?

...as they used to claim that they would only give a 10 to a game that was revolutionary as opposed to evolutionary.

edge are halo fanboys...its the one series they go gaga over....hence the score is unsurprising... Not saying the game isnt great, just that no game deserves a ten...its obvious even halo's graphics would prevent it from being such.

Also....lair...cant believe I bought that game...Im actually enjoying it a little...it looks impressive at least, so the low score in unwarrented.

Edge is pretty good sometimes, but its 'highbrow' literature sometimes comes of as a bit forced

nofi

syllogism said:

NY Times or respected gaming mag?

The choice, is yours.

nelsonroyale said:
edge are halo fanboys...its the one series they go gaga over....hence the score is unsurprising... Not saying the game isnt great, just that no game deserves a ten...its obvious even halo's graphics would prevent it from being such

Edge don't review like that. If a game's great, it's great, regardless of the visuals.

puebla

nelsonroyale said:
edge are halo fanboys...its the one series they go gaga over....hence the score is unsurprising... Not saying the game isnt great, just that no game deserves a ten...its obvious even halo's graphics would prevent it from being such
:lol

Norml

nelsonroyale said:

The lack of AA and a steady framerate should be points deducted alone.

Lakitu

st5fu
Salmon said:
EDGE? Halo 3? 10??? They must have lost it completely! This is the worst game in the Halo series!

Have you even played the game or did you just imagine you played it like a lot of Nintendo fans here?

Tenbatsu

No point arguing over the scores when we yet to read the written review. Any kind folk who owned the magazine out there care to type out the Edge Halo 3 and MP3 review here? A summarized version is also fine.

Maximilian E. said:
So edges scores for the Halo series are..

Halo - 10
Halo2 - 9
Halo3 - 10

pretty much seals the series as one of the classics of all time..

considering mp3 got a 7, i wouldn't put much stock on it. i love halo btw.

Sin

Kazenone said:
SE said recently (after denying it first) that the slowdown is better, although not great. But the sound issue is still there.

Wow, if it was worse then what I'm playing right now then it was unbearable.

I played the original one to death and this bothers me a lot, I can't imagine how bad it was for the JP release. Every single special command, potion, spell, ability etc causes massive slowdown. (._ .

Tenbatsu said:
Any kind folk who owned the magazine out there care to type out the Edge Halo 3 and MP3 review here? A summarized version is also fine.
No English languages scans I'm afraid. Gaming print sales are already low enough- you could go buy it. I'll post a summary of the Halo 3 review. Though the scans usually pop up on Bungie.net if you want the whole thing.

Visualante said:
You're pathetic.

ah, my life laid bair hahah...they gave the original a 10 as well...which was...wrong. Like your response, since I am far from pathetic...my most pathetic facette is...posting here I think

Fanboy is maybe too strong, but they certainly give the series special attention

Personally, I think anybody who would give any game a ten needs a brain check. Such a game would need to look incredible, have an incredible intelligent story, have an incredible soundtrack, have some revolutionary gameplay elements etc....seriously reviews these days are overblown. No game Ive ever played deserves a ten objectively.

Lakitu

st5fu
ParticleReality said:
Why is everyone so upset about the Halo 3 score? Its clearly the score for multiplayer so calm down.

No it's not the score for multi-player. It's the score for single player, co-op, forge, custom games, theater and multi-player. That's what the score is for.

Salmon

Norml said:
The lack of AA and a steady framerate should be points deducted alone.
The lack of anything I would say! This game is uninspiring, repetitive, looks low-res, bad sound and music, SHORT...so I think they've just reviewed the multi-player mode of the game.

I was SO disappointed in this game...and I must say it's one of the most overhyped games so far in gaming history ('cept my personal experience and hype around Nintendogs...that sucked even more)!!!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Edge's review scores are dead to me now. Time was when they seemed to be pretty much in tune with what I liked, but I've found myself disagreeing with them more and more over the last year or two. And the only useful review scores are ones that mostly match up with what I like.

Lakitu

st5fu
Salmon said:
The lack of anything I would say! This game is uninspiring, repetitive, looks low-res, bad sound and music, SHORT...so I think they've just reviewed the multi-player mode of the game.

I was SO disappointed in this game...and I must say it's one of the most overhyped games so far in gaming history ('cept my personal experience and hype around Nintendogs...that sucked even more)!!!

Oh my ... stop being a dumb fuck and realize that people, just maybe... maybe... enjoy the single-player portion. I know that might be hard for you to get into your mind, but try to accept it.

AniHawk

SantaC said:
anyone got the compliants for MP3?

-controls aren't as precise as mouse/keyboard
-game would look better in HD and on 360 or PS3
-load times are bothersome
-Voice acting is amateurish

Lakitu

st5fu
iapetus said:
Edge's review scores are dead to me now. Time was when they seemed to be pretty much in tune with what I liked, but I've found myself disagreeing with them more and more over the last year or two. And the only useful review scores are ones that mostly match up with what I like.

Never really pay attention to Edge, I do agree with them about the odd game like the Halo series but not much else.

AniHawk

Lakitu said:
Oh my ... stop being a dumb fuck and realize that people, just maybe... maybe... enjoy the single-player portion. I know that might be hard for you to get into your mind, but try to accept it.

He said he hated Nintendogs. What more do you want?

FoggyFreek

What were the negative points for Metroid?

I'm also very curious about the Quake Wars review. Any pros, cons on that one?

SantaC

AniHawk said:
-controls aren't as precise as mouse/keyboard
-game would look better in HD and on 360 or PS3
-load times are bothersome
-Voice acting is amateurish

:lol
i know you made it up

let me make my own:

-metroid isn't a bowling game
-metroid is in 3D
-samus still in a suit

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Salmon said:

:lol Try harder! Try again!

AniHawk

wormstrangler said:
Shouldn't that be a complaint against H3 too? And every other console FPS?

Halo 3 is already on the 360 or PS3 and has controls that work better than mouse/keyboard.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The Halo 3 review is like four pages, and MP3 is two, so I can't be bothered to read them all and summarise. So I'll just post the final paragraph and the quotes they highlighted on the page:

"Halo 3 starts out small, keeps it simple, and then just builds and builds and builds into an unstoppable action steamroller"

"Bungie has intensified the ruthless pace and joyous extravagance of it's game to scarcely believable heights"

Posted the summary for that above:

MP3
Not a highlighted quote, but anyway

Corruption spends near half its length recovering from an opening so badly misjudged that you fear developer Retro has forgotten everything that makes Metroid special and run dry of all inspiration. Although it does recover, that's a fear that you never quite manage to shake.

Final Paragraph
Masterful controls aside, Corruption sees Retro lost for a while, like Samus, down some mystifying and convoluted dead-end of it's own making, populating a universe that should have stayed desolate and dead. Eventually it does emerge as a substantial and beautifully engineered adventure, a worthy and welcome Wii blockbuster. But as the conclusion of a trilogy that started so brilliantly, it can't help but disappoint.

And the final paragraph for Singstar

Singstar for the PS3 is a refinement that is a triumph of presentation as well as a winning game. There are some niggling decisions, but they never spoil the experience, and the constant flow of new content makes it a game that will last as long as Sony's console does - that is, if you're prepared to make the financial investment required to maintain a song library.

nofi

burnfout said:
Why? I want to know when it comes out!

Don't we all. I've organised at least 2 parties that I've had to cancel due to the date changing at the last minute.

I'm now sick of waiting. I'm gonna buy Halo 3 instead. ;)

Top Bottom