• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the next Edge 10 is...

Valcrist

To be honest, I liked Lair's presentation and the gameplay wasn't horrible, but 3 is indeed a well deserved score in terms of Edge.
The game is just a whole lot of empty promises. It feels like once Factor 5 finished the graphics, they started trying to insert the gameplay elements. Everything feels so seperated, objectives are unclear, sometimes the game just feels choppy. If anything, the choppiness is what totally destroys the game. Immersion just dissapears. The best thing the game accomplishes is the sense of scale. Huge landscapes and huge background battles, with epic music, truly serves to only act like a tech demo for the PS3. I definately think Factor 5 needs to hire people with more creativity in terms of gameplay design.

As for Singstar...I don't know much about it, but is the game getting closer to an iTunes kind of thing? I would love a kareoke game where I could just pay for and download the songs I wanted to sing.

Congratualations Halo 3. Many people may or may not debate the quality of the game itself, but its undeniable that Bungie was able to put together all the great elements of an fps together with possibly the best online console exprience. Although it may not rank 10 in innovation or be mind-blowing, the package and quality of the whole experience deserves the high score.

MCD

nofi said:
You read past 'looks low-res'?

I AM DROWNING IN THE TEARS OF OTHERS.

I can forgive his hate for the graphics, gameplay or whatever, but not the music, shit is excellent.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
FoggyFreek said:
What were the negative points for Metroid?

I'm also very curious about the Quake Wars review. Any pros, cons on that one?

They don't seem to mention any cons for QW, they love the HUD, the missions, the way every class feels unique and offers something different, the way the game allows for complex strats in squads, and they also like the vehicles and feel they add to the game without ruining the infantry combat.

Valcrist said:
As for Singstar...I don't know much about it, but is the game getting closer to an iTunes kind of thing? I would love a kareoke game where I could just pay for and download the songs I wanted to sing.
You're in luck, and I think it's going to be huge when the PS3 is affordable to more people.

SantaC

Ikuu said:
MP3
Not a highlighted quote, but anyway

Corruption spends near half its length recovering from an opening so badly misjudged that you fear developer Retro has forgotten everything that makes Metroid special and run dry of all inspiration. Although it does recover, that's a fear that you never quite manage to shake.

Masterful controls aside, Corruption sees Retro lost for a while, like Samus, down some mystifying and convoluted dead-end of it's own making, populating a universe that should have stayed desolate and dead. Eventually it does emerge as a substantial and beautifully engineered adventure, a worthy and welcome Wii blockbuster. But as the conclusion of a trilogy that started so brilliantly, it can't help but disappoint.

I have played about 4 hours of Prime 3 so far and I kinda agree that the opening sucks. All these hunters do bother me and the mystique from prime1 is gone. However I cant comment on the full game yet.

nofi

McDragon said:
I can forgive his hate for the graphics, gameplay or whatever, but not the music, shit is excellent.

I didn't mean your tears. I just love these kind of threads where people cry like babies when a game on another console to their preferred one gets a higher score.

Halo 3 was always going to clean up.

Kyoufu

Tim the Wiz said:
Can't wait to play it this weekend.

:lol Edge has lost the plot there.

Perhaps, but Singstar PS3 is the definitive version of the hugely successful franchise in europe. Its bound to get a good score from a european magazine, wouldn't you think?

Saying that, MP3 is really fucking good, it should've been an 8 atleast. Persona 3, a 7 is about right.

Danrarbc

nofi said:
NY Times or respected gaming mag?

The choice, is yours.
7 for Metroid Prime 3 would tend to indicate they deserve no respect (and personally the 10 for Halo 3 would do the same, there are so many things it's missing - both in the overall game and the visual presentation)

As an example of an element of visual presentation it's missing, they borrowed the helmet effect used so well in Prime. But only the HUD, none of the environmental interactions with it are used. No water droplets, no water sheeting, etc (these shouldn't be on in multi IMO because it's obscure view in combat but single it's odd to not see them to me, when a 6 year old GameCube game did them). The single player and co-op modes have actually been quite buggy for me too, the full on multi mode is nice though the beta helped.

Anyone else think Two Worlds is getting hard done by in most reviews? The games not perfect for sure, but as a fan of games like Baldurs Gate, Dark Alliance, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights and the Elder Scrolls series I felt this was a good mix of those two WRPG styles and thoroughly enjoyed it. It doesn't have the depth of Elder Scrolls, but it has that same addictive character improvement gameplay that made the Baldur's series so enjoyable for me, and the exploration aspect that for me is the highlight of the Elder Scrolls games. I don't see why this game should score so much lower than the Dark Alliance games (which routinely recieved 6's and 7's if I remmember correctly) - to me it felt just like playing Dark Alliance but with more freedom afforded from an open enviroment - granted, that enviroment is largely empty, but I still had a great time exploring it.

Ikuu said:
Here's the final paragraph, pretty much summing up everything they thought about the game.

"The total lack of compromise in each and every single detail is breathtaking. Everything works with precision, everything is set up the same way, every barrier within reason has been lifted, and you never need to do any of it alone. Halo 3 was built to be used, built to be shared, built to be loved and built to last. It's a safe bet that it will still be enjoyed by a thriving community years from now. In substance it's nothing new, merely a magnificent, beautiful monster if an FPS sequel. In concept and execution, though, Halo 3 is the future."

Wow.

The question is how are they going to score Episode 2 now? Because there is a difference in quality between Halo and E2 that warrants at least two points and as far as I can see Edge's score tops out at 10 not 12. So?

Ikuu said:

Corruption spends near half its length recovering from an opening so badly misjudged that you fear developer Retro has forgotten everything that makes Metroid special and run dry of all inspiration. Although it does recover, that's a fear that you never quite manage to shake.

Final Paragraph
Masterful controls aside, Corruption sees Retro lost for a while, like Samus, down some mystifying and convoluted dead-end of it's own making, populating a universe that should have stayed desolate and dead. Eventually it does emerge as a substantial and beautifully engineered adventure, a worthy and welcome Wii blockbuster. But as the conclusion of a trilogy that started so brilliantly, it can't help but disappoint.
wtfpicard.jpg

Steroyd

iapetus said:
Edge's review scores are dead to me now. Time was when they seemed to be pretty much in tune with what I liked, but I've found myself disagreeing with them more and more over the last year or two. And the only useful review scores are ones that mostly match up with what I like.

Which is why I don't get Edge anymore.

What the shit at edge doing import reviews. >_<

soul

To be honest I'm much more excited about FFT: The Lion War - it seems to be getting an 8+ score in every magazine.

Tenbatsu

Ikuu said:
The Halo 3 review is like four pages, and MP3 is two, so I can't be bothered to read them all and summarise. So I'll just post the final paragraph and the quotes they highlighted on the page:

"Halo 3 starts out small, keeps it simple, and then just builds and builds and builds into an unstoppable action steamroller"

"Bungie has intensified the ruthless pace and joyous extravagance of it's game to scarcely believable heights"

Posted the summary for that above:

MP3
Not a highlighted quote, but anyway

Final Paragraph

And the final paragraph for Singstar

Singstar for the PS3 is a refinement that is a triumph of presentation as well as a winning game. There are some niggling decisions, but they never spoil the experience, and the constant flow of new content makes it a game that will last as long as Sony's console does - that is, if you're prepared to make the financial investment required to maintain a song library.

Many thanks for your time to type this out.

nofi

Danrarbc said:
As an example of an element of visual presentation it's missing, they borrowed the helmet effect used so well in Prime. But only the HUD, none of the environmental interactions with it are used. No water droplets, no water sheeting, etc (these shouldn't be on in multi IMO because it's obscure view in combat but single it's odd to not see them to me, when a 6 year old GameCube game did them). The single player and co-op modes have actually been quite buggy for me too, the full on multi mode is nice though the beta helped.

Fair enough.

I just assume that Edge didn't consider those issues enough to dock a point.

I've not read it, mind, and I've never played Halo 3 (and never will) so I'm out of my depth somewhat.

Steroyd said:
What the shit at edge doing import reviews. >_<
They reviewed Super Paper Mario, Pokemon, Contact and Hotel Dusk on import. Nintendo of Europe would probably give their official magazine advances on review code anyway.

nofi

Visualante said:
They reviewed Super Paper Mario, Pokemon, Contact and Hotel Dusk on import. Nintendo of Europe would probably give their official magazine advances on review code anyway.

They've always reviewed imports, right from the SNES days.

polg

WTF?!

did they do the whole sending an email with everything that was wrong about halo 3? (that email was empty for halo)

Prine

Banned
It doesnt get any better for halo/MS haters does it :lol Top scores, top sales amazing feedback. Yet, its non-deserving.

Now all we need are sales numbers, a few put their accounts on the line for Halo 3 floping :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm not a Halo fan (Seriously, I am getting a 360 next month for PGR 4, Halo 3 isn't going to get bought), but I can see why it would get a 10 from Edge, as it's a fantastic game, an engaging SP campaign, and possibly the finest MP FPS on consoles (That said, it is not my style), a 10 is fully deserved.

Metroid Prime 3 getting a 7 on the other hand...... *tips over magazine rack*

AniHawk

Prine said:
It doesnt get any better for halo/MS haters does it :lol Top scores, top sales amazing feedback. Yet, its non-deserving.

Now all we need are sales numbers, a few put their accounts on the line for Halo 3 floping :)

Didn't it already do 1.7m before hour 1?

And stop doing the laughie thing within the post I swear to god

AniHawk

Prine said:
I proper irritate you dont I? haha :)

It's a pet peeve of mine. I don't mind the :D smiley but for some reason that :lol thing gets on my nerves when it isn't used as a response to something. I think I've been in too many arguments where people pretend to laugh to try and prove a point.

Wollan

I think the original Halo deserved the Edge 10 as it practically created the fps mold for consoles which everyone else followed (no, Goldeneye was good but it wasn't nearly ideal) but I don't think Half-life 2 deserved it's perfect score (not coming after FarCry and not without additional features that it lacked) and I don't think Halo 3 deserves it either. Problems include story presentation, campaign improvement/length(lesser of the trilogy) and graphics.

But then again, one must ask themselves if it would have deserved a Edge 9 as a multiplayer/community only game with the campaign part ripped out and with the rest intact and it would. So having a singleplayer campaign (playable in online co-op no less with plenty enough customisability) can only be seen as top additional value even if it isn't as exciting or polished as one might hope.

(This also ties into an older argument that Resistance probably would have received higher scores at the time of release if it was a mp only game strangely enough even if having the campaign is in fact a huge bonus. It truly was the most exceptional console online title until this Tuesday).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wollan said:
I think the original Halo deserved the Edge 10 as it practically created the fps mold for consoles which everyone else followed (no, Goldeneye was good but it wasn't nearly ideal) but I don't think Half-life 2 deserved it's perfect score (not coming after FarCry and not without additional features that it lacked) and I don't think Halo 3 deserves it either. Problems include story presentation, campaign improvement/length(lesser of the trilogy) and graphics.

DIE, HL2 was a masterpiece of gaming entertainment, Far Cry was a visual masterpiece, but the actual game was lackluster. (Oh, and Goldeneye got a 10 primarily for the MP, in my opinion, just like Halo 3)

But then again, one must ask themselves if it would have deserved a Edge 9 as a multiplayer/community only game with the campaign part ripped out and with the rest intact and it probably would. So having a singleplayer campaign (playable in online co-op no less with plenty enough customisability) can only be seen as top additional value even if it isn't as exciting or polished as one might hope.

(This also ties into an older argument that Resistance probably would have received higher scores at the time of release if it was a mp only game strangely enough even if having the campaign is in fact a huge bonus. It truly was the most exceptional console online title until this Tuesday).

Thats how I see it, the Halo 3 campaign is merely the icing on the cake, the MP will get far more game time out of it, and is only fitting that it has had the most attention paid upon it, that said, I don't think Halo 3 would have worked as well without its SP, as many people wanted to see the story finished, too.

Wollan

Goldeneye didn't receive a 10 btw (though they said in a later mag (this side of the millenium) that it probably deserved it).

nofi

Stop It said:
DIE, HL2 was a masterpiece of gaming entertainment, Far Cry was a visual masterpiece, but the actual game was lackluster. (Oh, and Goldeneye got a 10 primarily for the MP, in my opinion, just like Halo 3)

Goldeneye got a 10?

Top Bottom