• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton back to animation, helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not see the point in Pixar making sequels. There original stories sell, so why do this to yourself?

They do it for the fans. People want to see more stories involving characters they love rather then new stories. I liked Brave but I would much rather have a sequel to something like FN then a movie like Brave.

WillyFive

Sometimes sequels turn out great.Look at Godfather trilogy,Terminator 2 ,Breaking 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Pixar has a very good record with sequels, but how can you make a sequel to Finding Nemo? Have him get lost again? Monsters University works because of the much larger open world the made for the movie, but Finding Nemo has none of that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pixar has a very good record with sequels, but how can you make a sequel to Finding Nemo? Have him get lost again? Monsters University works because of the much larger open world the made for the movie, but Finding Nemo has none of that.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about finding someone again. It could be a totally different kind of movie, just using the same characters.

WillyFive

Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, love Andrew Stanton, Finding Nemo and Wall-E are two of my favorite pixar flicks. On the other hand the reason I loved them was their adorable atmosphere and uniqueness, and that's what Pixar was famous for. I don't really want sequels for them. Maybe they're trying to pull out some stops because Brave was such a mixed bag? All I can think is Stanton better have a damn good story here.

Brave ended up sucking probably because of the turmoil that happened while making it. Unless they plan for it to happen again, I don't see why Brave should be used as an excuse to make more sequels, since Brave did well in the Box Office.

I imagine the pitch meeting went something like...

Disney: Oh what the FUCK are you doing here?

Stanton: Wait, wait! Don't shoot, don't shoot! I have an idea for another movie.

*Shotgun cocks*

Stanton: It's uh.. Finding Nemo 2!

Disney lowers the gun: We love it.

Why do people have a problem with Pixar making sequels. Toy Story 2 was amazing and 3 was still great. Just because Cars 2 sucked doesn't mean anything because the original Cars movie was the only bad Pixar movie to begin with. I do agree that Nemo shouldn't be the one to get a sequel. The Incredibles getting a sequel would be amazing.

Pixar is going to continue to make new IP. As long as the sequels match the original's quality I wouldn't mind going back to some of the world's they created. Nemo would be one of them if the script didn't involve some ridiculous reason for another fish to go missing ala Taken 2

Stanton: Wait, wait! Don't shoot, don't shoot! I have an idea for another movie.

*Shotgun cocks*

This sounds exactly right. Maybe Disney had a magnum instead of a shotgun, but everything else is 100% accurate.

John Carter isn't a good movie. Stop blaming the marketing for failing to advertise exciting moments that don't exist in the final product.

*Shotgun cocks*

Given Stanton is no doubt a high-tier Brain Trust guy, it was probably more like them attaching him to a burning pire, and him having to roar "FINDING NEMO SEQUEL" as loud as he can to be set free.

WillyFive

Scullibundo has a point.

As great as John Carter was, it was the biggest bomb of all time (at the time it came out), and Andrew went completely overboard with the budget (building a large bridge in the desert just to haul equipment so that he could shoot a small scene in some random corner that could have easily been shot somewhere else, and then asking staff to get him chickens just to see if it was true if he could get anything he wanted).

Making a sequel to Finding Nemo might be a way to get work after doing Carter, especially since a lot of people have reputations ruined in the business by making a flop.

Replicant

Welp! The slippery slope sequel-titis finally hits Pixar. First Monster Inc and now this.

I wish they'd just do something different and by that something that is not whimsical and child-like and more adult-oriented in content. I really wish they don't brand themselves in similar way like Disney (family-friendly entertainment) but it looks like they've made up their mind).

JGS

Banned
It's a story that doesn't need or merit a sequel is what I'm getting at.
You may be wrong about that is what I'm getting at. Personal opinion doesn't translate to no reason in making a sequel.

It makes more sense to make a sequel to Nemo than it does to make one for The Incredibles.

You may be wrong about that is what I'm getting at. Personal opinion doesn't translate to no reason in making a sequel.

It makes more sense to make a sequel to Nemo than it does to make one for The Incredibles.

How could Nemo possibly need a sequel more than a superhero movie that has the potential for a lot more villains and stories. The only chance Nemo sequel has of not being redunadant at all is if the movie focuses on something completely different. Anyway I really want another movie like Ratatouille (not a sequel), but what happened to the movies like that.

Not excited about Nemo 2 but I am excited that Stanton is back directing animation.

The world needs more great animation directors, I hate to see them jump to live action.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
foxtrot_Dreamworks.gif

Nostalllllgia!

Tom_Cody

Nemo is still the best selling DVD of all time, right?

This is going to make Disney 1 Billion plus. Not a bad trade-off for the John Carter mess.

JGS

Banned
How could Nemo possibly need a sequel more than a superhero movie that has the potential for a lot more villains and stories. The only chance Nemo sequel has of not being redunadant at all is if the movie focuses on something completely different. Anyway I really want another movie like Ratatouille (not a sequel), but what happened to the movies like that.
The Incredibles were no more about heroes fighting villains than Nemo was just about fish. The Incredibles story has no where to go except in terms of comic book action- something I can't see PIXAR or Bird actually being interested in (Disney might be based on revenue for sure). They may very well make a sequel, but it will be as mundane and by the numbers as your description of it unless something drastic happens with the family dynamic- the true center of the story.

The Incredibles is best served by a game franchise or actual comic book.

Nemo always had room to grow into a sequel because the premise doesn't necessarily need to have Nemo lost again. I'm not sure I want a Nemo sequel (PIXAR movies in my mind should be one shot deals so they can keep focusing on new stories), but it makes sense why they would make one.

JGS

Banned
Nemo is still the best selling DVD of all time, right?

This is going to make Disney 1 Billion plus. Not a bad trade-off for the John Carter mess.
I got back from Disney last week and was amazed at how much merchandise was Nemo's- not including the attractions & rides. I think Lion King was the main thing beating it.

Poor Remy didn't stand a chance :(

If this was announced instead of the raft of new IP that Pixar have on the slate for the coming years (Monsters University aside) I'd be concerned. As it stands, I am not. If Stanton has a good concept, then I'm down.

Cars 2 sucking is not a reflection of anything other than the Cars franchise sucking.

Finding Nemo really doesn't need a sequel. what the hell.

After Cars 2/Brave/an unnecessary Monster's Inc. prequel coming out next, I'm starting to worry about Pixar. At least they've already announced a couple of original projects, and not Ratatwouille or some shit like that.

Tuck

NOOOO!

Findin Nemo was perfect the way it was! Make something new damn it! Finding Nemo does NOT need a sequel!

This loss of public trust in Pixar is a big reason why I hate Cars 2 so much. Whether it's necessary or not, there are zero things to make us think this'll be a bad movie... apart from the fact Cars 2 came out last year, and made everyone jumpy as fuck about Pixar sequels.

Tom_Cody

NOOOO!

Findin Nemo was perfect the way it was! Make something new damn it! Finding Nemo does NOT need a sequel!
Eh, with Stanton involved I'm fully confident it will be good. Toy Story 2 and 3 are classics.

I just can't wait to see how good the underwater environments will look.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Cuz Brad Bird will cut a motherfucker before that happens.
And his live-action transition was actually successful.

Stanton had a backburner Pixar idea in the event John Carter 2 wasn't a go—this is probably that?

Brinbe

Ahh, so this is an additional reason for why they're re-releasing the original in 3D. Gotta rebuild that brand awareness.

And I'm not really excited by this news, but I'll judge it after I watch it.

-Eddman-

I really liked Nemo but there's no point in making a sequel. Most of the characters were just gimmicky, which was fine for 1 movie, but I don't know if seeing Dory, for example, forgetting everything and talking like an idiot will have the same effect again, because there's not much of a strong character behind this, and we're talking about one of the protagonists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom