• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton back to animation, helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feared that Pixar being bought by Disney would lead to this kind of thing, but it's a shame to see it actually happen. The problem is that entertainment companies should not be publicly owned and traded on the stock market. Wall Street's mentality is to strip mine everything in order to maximize profit. Having a popular movie and not making a sequel is burning money as far as Wall Street is concerned. They'd rather run a franchise into the ground than leave it untouched. The problem is that entertainment properties shouldn't be treated that way. It hurts Pixar's brand and irritates the consumer, which can have negative affects over the long term. Unfortunately, the quarterly earnings mentality of big companies leaves no room for long-term thinking.

John Carter isn't a good movie. Stop blaming the marketing for failing to advertise exciting moments that don't exist in the final product.

Thank you. The movie had terrible drops week after week, which suggests that there was no positive word of mouth once people actually saw the film. You can blame marketing for a bad opening, but if audiences reject a film after it's released, it means they didn't like it.

Tuck

Cars 2 was fine. People just like to hate on that franchise as a whole.

Pixar has not made a movie that has disappointed me. Maybe Finding Nemo 2 would be good, but I disagree with it on principle.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any Pixar movie is going to make money.

WTF is this shit? Finding Nemo might be by favorite Pixar film. And Andrew Stanton my second favorite director there. It doesn't need a sequel.

Fuck this.

Tookay

I really feared that Pixar being bought by Disney would lead to this kind of thing, but it's a shame to see it actually happen. The problem is that entertainment companies should not be publicly owned and traded on the stock market. Wall Street's mentality is to strip mine everything in order to maximize profit. Having a popular movie and not making a sequel is burning money as far as Wall Street is concerned. They'd rather run a franchise into the ground than leave it untouched. The problem is that entertainment properties shouldn't be treated that way. It hurts Pixar's brand and irritates the consumer, which can have negative affects over the long term. Unfortunately, the quarterly earnings mentality of big companies leaves no room for long-term thinking.

While I agree it's soulless profit-generating in a sense, if it was truly irritating the consumer, this wouldn't be happening. If people had a problem with it, they'd vote with their wallets.

It doesn't need a sequel but I love the film and the way it looks so colour me happy

Think it will feature Crush quite heavily as they seem to utilise him in the parks so must see him as popular

JaseMath

If there's one movie that doesn't need a sequel, it's Finding Nemo. GG Pixar...what happened to your creativity?

j.rob

Finding Nemo in my opinion is perfect. Its one if those films that should just never be touched again and kept pure cause its just so right. What the hell is Pixar doing?

Then again, part of me doesn't mind a sequel cause it was such a good film...

I guess I feel the same way I feel about it if I had a daughter. I would want her to stay pure forever, but if she wants a kid, I gotta accept she is gonna get down to business one day :/.

But seriously...Pixar...

INCREDIBLES 2.

Seriously.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
While I agree it's soulless profit-generating in a sense, if it was truly irritating the consumer, this wouldn't be happening. If people had a problem with it, they'd vote with their wallets.

This doesn't really reflect how brands actually erode. You know what Hemmingway said about going bankrupt? It happens "gradually, then suddenly". The bad will builds up for a long time before customers actually start dropping off. See also every single Disney creative lull; RIM (Blackberry); Blockbuster and every other retailer that collapses.

Not saying that's happening with Pixar exactly, but simply saying "Their shit still makes money" doesn't prove it's not.

JGS

Banned
Finding Nemo in my opinion is perfect. Its one if those films that should just never be touched again and kept pure cause its just so right. What the hell is Pixar doing?
This is exactly how I feel about

The Incredibles
Ratatouille
Wall-E

EDIT: Seriously, I'm surprised that so many are surprised about PIXAR sequels. They were always in the cards and as PIXAR matures, it stands to reason the quality will go down as they become a more legitimate revenue stream. I think they will try their best to do stories that are different from Disney (I don't think they care as much about Dreamworks), any deal they had with Disney involved sequels. The only thing that slowed that down was Lassiter running the entire animation department.

clemenx

Banned
Whoa, good thing I don't love Pixar outside of Ratatouille and Wall-E so their fall into mediocrity won't really hurt.

It does amuse me that 3 new franchises were unveiled to general indifference, but as soon as a sequel gets mooted, the conversation immediately turns to how Pixar only does sequels and how they have no new ideas.

The internet has a very short memory sometimes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have seen it mentioned on Twitter, but I can't find any evidence beyond a year-old quote that ideas were being kicked about, and Twitter going crazy.

They're continuing to do shorts and there are two Toy Story television specials planned. One for October 2013, and one spring 2014. Probably Halloween and Easter themed. These are probably the projects that led to some people thinking there was a 4th film coming.

Draconian

It does amuse me that 3 new franchises were unveiled to general indifference, but as soon as a sequel gets mooted, the conversation immediately turns to how Pixar only does sequels and how they have no new ideas.

This is just Pixar-GAF being Pixar-GAF. I normally stay away from all Pixar threads here because the hyperbole and overreaction is off the charts.

megamerican

I bet this is how it goes down. People bitch and bitch. Sequel comes out and is pretty good, makes a shit-ton of money. Stanton goes to line up his live action gig, "uh yeah.... about that...." Finding Nemo 3.

I was thinking the very same thing.

Glad to see Stanton being given a 2nd chance, I really like the guy. Even though I hated JC, I think he has lots of potential. Still, would have preferred seeing an original IP, but I can understand the decision from a business perspective.

Koodo

Banned
UGH, there was a time when I would be hyperventilating over this, but not anymore after Pixar embarked on a sequel/prequel making spree.

Mistle

I LOVE finding Nemo but it doesn't need a sequel :/ I have faith in Stanton to make it awesome though.

Keep in mind people that Pixar ARE doing 3 original storys before Nemo 2.

EDIT: Wait, TS4 too? Uggghhh

The thing about brand deterioration is that it can be very subtle. For instance, there are a lot of Pixar fans who will go see any movie Pixar makes because they trust Pixar to provide a unique, high quality experience. If Pixar's ratio of original to sequel films reaches a point that makes fans uncomfortable, that trust will begin to dissolve. That does not mean that Pixar sequels will make less money. Pixar fans will continue to go to sequels of films they already love. But ironically, fans may be less likely to take a risk on original films. It's not hard to imagine this leading to a negative feedback loop where sequels become the most profitable Pixar films, resulting in a higher ratio of sequels, while at the same time fans grow more and more disgruntled by the lack of original ideas.

I don't know that this will happen to Pixar, but it is really easy for executives in the entertainment industry to misread signals from the audience and make decisions that will hurt the brand over the long term.

This doesn't really reflect how brands actually erode. You know what Hemmingway said about going bankrupt? It happens "gradually, then suddenly". The bad will builds up for a long time before customers actually start dropping off. See also every single Disney creative lull; RIM (Blackberry); Blockbuster and every other retailer that collapses.

Not saying that's happening with Pixar exactly, but simply saying "Their shit still makes money" doesn't prove it's not.

Exactly.

tch

Anybody have a link to this Toy Story 4 garbage?

God damn I hope Stanton is being truthful. Probably the three I want to LEAST see sequels for: Incredibles, Wall-e, and Finding Nemo

Honestly, I feel as though every Pixar sequel has been better than the last (Toy Story 2 was debatable). I'm cautiously optimistic.
Cars 2 was not better than the first.

God damn I hope Stanton is being truthful. Probably the three I want to LEAST see sequels for: Incredibles, Wall-e, and Finding Nemo
I actually want a sequel to The Incredibles, assuming Brad Bird was directing.

ronito

Pixar: Insisting on giving our customers a sequel to all the movies that don't need it and no sequel for the one movie that could use one (The incredibles)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I believe Tom Hanks said that was a joke.

what I love about finding nemo is not particularly the characters or the jokes, but the story of a father doing everything for his son. I hope they're not walking to a trap of doing the same story/theme all over again just because it's a sequel. Finding Nemo really doesnot need a sequel.

you know what need a seque? fucking Incredibles. where's my Incredibles 2 Pixar?

Loxley

Jesus Christ, if I didn't know any better I'd be under the impression that Pixar made a movie that did absolutely nothing but shit on GAF for two hours with how some of you are reacting to this. I'd think with all the good will Pixar built up over the years leading up to Cars 2 people would be willing to let them have a few "okay" movies. Nope, unless they're making masterpiece after masterpiece, fuck'em.

For all we know this will end up great, the Toy Story trilogy has proven that Pixar knows how to make smart sequels. Don't try to convince me that Cars 2 is good enough evidence for the contrary. If Monsters University ends up being a heaping turd, then we'll talk, but until then? Who cares? Stanton is back directing an animated movie, which is more than enough to get me excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom