• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton back to animation, helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

I wish he'd work on something new, but anything is better than another John Carter. Poor marketing or not, that movie was terrible.

massoluk

Banned
I'll give them a chance. Pixar made just one bad movie and just one average movie. And the dude probably just wasn't used to doing live action film. That said, I like John Carter despite its flaws (Though it really has a shitty marketing, it could have perform better).

Christopher

I got back from Disney last week and was amazed at how much merchandise was Nemo's- not including the attractions & rides. I think Lion King was the main thing beating it.

Poor Remy didn't stand a chance :(

Really...? I didn't see too much if I remember correctly I remember seeing The Lion King and Brave ALL OVER the place.

JGS

Banned
Really...? I didn't see too much if I remember correctly I remember seeing The Lion King and Brave ALL OVER the place.
I didn't remeber that much PIXAR stuff at all a couple of years ago, but Nemo basically had a store for each attraction. The coolest one was the Nemo ride that was attached to a very impressive aquarium attraction at Epcot.

I didn't realize I wanted a sequel to Nemo so badly until just now. I am typically against Pixar's sequels but I'll make an exception here.

And I was worried about Pixar until I saw Brave, and subsequently fell in love with it. All the haters to the left. It's one of the best movies they've done.

Eh, I actually don't hold the original Finding Nemo in great regard. I think it's because everyone effectively killed the movie for me by thinking it was the greatest movie ever when they were kids. I finally watched it and was completely underwhelmed. It's an okay film, but does it warrant a sequel? No. Not at all.

Christopher

I didn't remeber that much PIXAR stuff at all a couple of years ago, but Nemo basically had a store for each attraction. The coolest one was the Nemo ride that was attached to a very impressive aquarium attraction at Epcot.

Agreed - Hopefully you got to eat at the Coral Reef the resturant by the aquarium which was flawless.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All these Pixar sequels and yet the only movie that begs for a sequel (The Incredibles) doesn't get one :(

If Stanton says he has a good idea that everyone loves that's one thing, but it really saddens/disgusts me that Disney is essentially forcing FN2 to happen via carrot on a string to let Stanton do live action again.

It's not like life in the reef isn't ripe for more stories, after all, before Disney bought Pixar they were developing a Finding Nemo TV series, but that it came about THIS WAY is upsetting.

Next we'll be seeing Up 2: Up Higher.

They've already said they want to do prequel shorts to UP about how Doug came to be part of the dog army, and there was a lot of content cut from UP involving dinosaurs, so I wouldn't doubt it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
•Cars 2

•Toy Story 3 (a good movie albeit, from what I hear)

•Brave

•Monsters Inc 2

•Finding Nemo 2

I hope they're not running out of gas here...

Talon

This reconfirms Ghibli>Pixar.
image.php

Incredibles 2 has to be made at this point by this logic :D

I bet "a bugs life 2" would get green lit before that :(

Pixar pls

Heh i liked finding nemo but dont see the need for a sequel

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone creative enough to come up with a great idea for Finding Nemo 2 is creative enough to come up with a great idea for a new film.

If Stanton says he has a good idea that everyone loves that's one thing, but it really saddens/disgusts me that Disney is essentially forcing FN2 to happen via carrot on a string to let Stanton do live action again.

They aren't forcing anything, he was given an option and accepted it. Pixar isn't the plucky underdog anymore, they are Disney. Stanton could have said no and it isn't like the people you perceive as "Disney" would have made Finding Nemo 2 regardless because "Disney" can't.

To all the people freaking out about Pixar making sequels, you should check out Toy Story 2 and 3, they're really good.

Tom_Cody

Anyone creative enough to come up with a great idea for Finding Nemo 2 is creative enough to come up with a great idea for a new film.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

John Carter isn't a good movie. Stop blaming the marketing for failing to advertise exciting moments that don't exist in the final product.
I found a man leaping hundreds of feet into the air and single-handedly fighting an army to be pretty exciting. The negative hyperbole surrounding this movie is crazy.

I liked Finding Nemo a lot, and for that very reason am wary about a sequel. I don't see what they can do without it feeling like some direct-to-video watered-down thing, but I guess we'll see.

Why are they making sequels to everything except Incredibles, their one property that is ideally suited for serialization?

Brad Bird needs to come back to Pixar. The Incredibles and Ratatouille were the studio's most all-around successful films.

Even if that's true (ignoring Takahata Isao) Miyazaki best work's owns every director that's ever been at Pixar including Brad Bird.

While this may be true, for me Ghibli hasn't had anything close to an essential picture for more than a decade, a time period which has covered what I consider to be Pixar's greatest works.

However, this is wildly off the point.

Axiology

Fuckin ass, what the hell.

No more sequels. Cars, Monster's Inc (prequel) now goddamn Finding Nemo?
Finding Nemo really? Out of everything they could do?

It's the most self-contained story Pixar's ever done (though I haven't seen Ratatouille yet... maybe Up would count too), was anybody really clamoring for more Finding Nemo? I thought it was a great movie, but come on.

I imagine the pitch meeting went something like...

Disney: Oh what the FUCK are you doing here?

Stanton: Wait, wait! Don't shoot, don't shoot! I have an idea for another movie.

*Shotgun cocks*

Stanton: It's uh...

*Nervously looks around, sees Finding Nemo poster*

Stanton: ...Finding Nemo 2!

Disney lowers the gun: We love it.

Added a small touch.

This loss of public trust in Pixar is a big reason why I hate Cars 2 so much. Whether it's necessary or not, there are zero things to make us think this'll be a bad movie... apart from the fact Cars 2 came out last year, and made everyone jumpy as fuck about Pixar sequels.

What are you basing this on?

Mariolee

Why are they making sequels to everything except Incredibles, their one property that is ideally suited for serialization?

Brad Bird, who is the only director Pixar or Disney will apparently let helm the sequel, won't come back until he does his dream project film. Whatever that was/is.

They need to change the name. Call it "Nemo: Subtitle" or have a new name entirely.

Finding Nemo 2 would be dumb and would be unnecessary to sell the movie. Unless it is somehow about Nemo getting lost again. But that'd be even more dumb.

I love Finding Nemo. <3

What are you basing this on?

Bad wording. Internet reaction to announcements is a closer fit.

It makes absolutely no difference to them as an organisation, but it's just a bit of a downer.

Brad Bird, who is the only director Pixar or Disney will apparently let helm the sequel, won't come back until he does his dream project film. Whatever that was/is.

IIRC, it was a live action film based around the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. It was hyped as Pixar themselves branching out into live action a few years back, but Warner Bros. are doing it and the script appears to be progressing slowly.

dmshaposv

You were at the top of the world pixar.. Why throw it all away.

Pixar's downfall has been long coming. After their apex with ratatouille, the movies had started becoming shittier.

Maybe they plan to alternate with Disney.I think they have the right to make a sequel but a sequel simply will not work unless Bird is involved or they just make it an Avengers/super hero clone- something the original Incredibles definitely was not and the sequel would likely suffer for.

I don't even think you need to do a direct sequel to The Incredibles. That was an interesting enough world, that I think that you use it as a setting to do some sort of send up to the Avengers in the way The Incredibles was a bit of an homage to the Fantastic Four/silver age.

EDIT: If Pixar wants to do a Marvel movie then I think an animated Runaways would be phenomenal.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There are three new Pixar movies being made between Monsters Inc 2 and Finding Nemo 2, they aren't sequels.
I see from the wiki page that there's a planned Dia de la Muerte film...they may as well talk with Tim Schaffer about Grim Fandango, that would be an amazing movie.

I think Pixar's "downfall" has been overplayed. Cars 2 sucked but Brave was merely average. Toy Story 3 and UP were both great. Ratatouille and Wall-E first half hour were there last two amazing projects.

Even A Bug's Life 2 would've been a better choice.

That movie gets a lot of hate, but I loved it. Of course I haven't seen it since I was 10.

Twitter's going absolutely crazy about Toy Story 4 being confirmed, but I can't find anything other than that offhand Tom Hanks comment that they were kicking about ideas last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom