• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Konka

Banned
Anybody with a 2013 Moto G at all? I saw some pictures of people in India getting 5.0 for the XT1033 (dual SIM version), but I am still to get confirmation of anyone with a XT1032 already with the update. I'm pretty sure Moto has sent the ROM to the carriers but they'll probably take their sweet ass time.

This wait is killing me.

I've got the same Moto G and nothing. Say what you want about Apple but the iOS releases make so much more sense in their rollout...Yeah yeah I know, lots of different models and everything but maybe Google should look into a more streamlined way to do this.

Noema

I've got the same Moto G and nothing. Say what you want about Apple but the iOS releases make so much more sense in their rollout...Yeah yeah I know, lots of different models and everything but maybe Google should look into a more streamlined way to do this.

I feel there's very little Google can do.

Google has practically no leverage with the carriers. The Carriers consider any locked or subsidized phone they sell to be their property and as such they force every update to Android to go through their own internal certification processes. And of course, carriers being carriers and therefore unspeakably evil and greedy, they devote as few resources as possible to this process. So even if a manufacturer (like Motorola) dilligently updated their devices, they can only directly push it to the unlocked devices they sell. Which is a tiny, tiny minority. For every other locked / subsidized device, all they can do is send out the ROMs and wait.

Apple was able to strong-arm their way into bypassing the carriers early on in the smartphone race back when they were still exclusive to a few carriers. But no Android OEM is in that position, with maybe the exception of Samsung, but Samsung has historically shown that they don't really care about updating phones and do so very reluctantly. They also use a very heavily modified version of Android and that doesn't help things.

Sucks, I know, but that's the way the cookie crumbles :(

Sorry, for some reason I assumed you were using Tasker. Where is the setting you are using?

The setting I'm using is under Settings > Personal > Profiles > Automobile > Modify Triggers

I set the home profile to wifi on, automobile to wifi off. Automobile profile activates on wifi disconnect, home profile activates on wifi connect.

Is there a way to get this on an S5?

Depends which S5 you have. What's your carrier?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ent/rom-cyanogenmod-12-0-android-5-0-t2945538

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anybody with a 2013 Moto G at all? I saw some pictures of people in India getting 5.0 for the XT1033 (dual SIM version), but I am still to get confirmation of anyone with a XT1032 already with the update. I'm pretty sure Moto has sent the ROM to the carriers but they'll probably take their sweet ass time.

This wait is killing me.
I dont think it has been sent to carriers yet. They're still doing soak tests in lower risk markets.

No one who has an unlocked, universal phone has gotten the update yet and that'd be pushed out by Motorola directly.

Soodanim

Gold Member
you should be able to use the unified gsm one then, if i understand correctly.

i'll ask the dev on your behalf, actually.
I was quite surprised when I found out how it works in America. I know (or at least I think) it's a bit different with networks not always reaching across America, but even then the fact that phones differ based on network is fucked up.

Over here to only difference from one network to another is preinstalled bloatware and they're often locked to one network. But if you unlock it you're free to use whatever sim you like, from one of the 4 main networks or any of the others that live on the network of a bigger company. Even supermarkets have their own mobile phone networks now. That competition keeps prices nice and low.

Mindwipe

I was quite surprised when I found out how it works in America. I know (or at least I think) it's a bit different with networks not always reaching across America, but even then the fact that phones differ based on network is fucked up.

Over here to only difference from one network to another is preinstalled bloatware and they're often locked to one network. But if you unlock it you're free to use whatever sim you like, from one of the 4 main networks or any of the others that live on the network of a bigger company. Even supermarkets have their own mobile phone networks now. That competition keeps prices nice and low.

That's not strictly true. The S2 at least had different firmwares deepending on the UK network. I remember because I was doing something involving trying to get HLS streaming up and running, and it worked completely differently depending on who your carrier was. Streams that were fine on some networks caused different networks firmwares to hard lock. It was a hell of a mess at the time until HLS support was built into stock.

So guys,

I just updated my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, and after it had installed and reboot, it's stuck in the continuous bootup screen. any suggestion on how to fix this?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So guys,

I just updated my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, and after it had installed and reboot, it's stuck in the continuous bootup screen. any suggestion on how to fix this?
Google how to flash factory images. Do that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
So guys,

Mine did the same for a while, after forcing reboots several times and doing some more waiting it eventually figured out how to escape the bootloop on its own. Had the same problem with 4.4.4, too.

Not feeling 5.0 on my Moto X. What am I missing here? Everything works fine, but other than the trusted device feature (which is fucking awesome) I don't see anything new that's really great at all.

Mine did the same for a while, after forcing reboots several times and doing some more waiting it eventually figured out how to escape the bootloop on its own. Had the same problem with 4.4.4, too.

did yours wiped your phone though? cuz mine did...

fucking pissed off at google right now

Sch1sm

i didn't expect a simple OTA update to wipe out everything I had.

I think we've all learned to expect the unexpected. It"s unlucky, sure, but make a habit of backing up if you're saving things that aren't already in Google's cloud. I personally just get rid of everything and start fresh with every update. Unfortunate that happened to you, still, it sucks.

pestul

So guys,

Did you wait a really really long time? When installed the factory image of Android 5.0 on my Nexus 7 it took a bloody long time to leave the boot up animation (like 9-10 minutes or something). I was googling suggestions on why it was stuck on the boot animation and finally it loaded in..

Did you by chance power down when it was in this boot animation and it wasn't finished yet? That might wipe your existing data.

5.0.1 just arrived for my N7 too. It might be placebo, but it feels A LOT smoother than my 5.0 factory image. Still need it for my 2013 Moto G. :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the update on my Nexus 7, seems OK. A little faster but buggy in places, I had to reinstall Skype because it wouldn't let me log in.

alatif113

Really having issues with dropped connection when using the GPS. I don't know if its a software problem or a hardware one. Anyone else having similar problems on 5.0?

Did you wait a really really long time? When installed the factory image of Android 5.0 on my Nexus 7 it took a bloody long time to leave the boot up animation (like 9-10 minutes or something). I was googling suggestions on why it was stuck on the boot animation and finally it loaded in..

Did you by chance power down when it was in this boot animation and it wasn't finished yet? That might wipe your existing data.

5.0.1 just arrived for my N7 too. It might be placebo, but it feels A LOT smoother than my 5.0 factory image. Still need it for my 2013 Moto G. :/

I waited about 15 minutes in the initial bootup. then I powered down. then waited again for 2 hours.

Sch1sm

Saw that I have Android 5.0 available to download.Is it safe to download on the Nexus 7 2013 version?

5.0.1 is being pushed to the N7 right now, too. 5.0 isn't perfect, of course, but it'll be fixed quickly. And if you don't do it now it.might just disappear for a while. Happened to someone else.

Probably obviously mentioned. Updated Nexus 5 to 5.0 and Chromes seems to continuously crash on me along with other apps like whatsapp. But mostly Chrome. Anyone else having this issue? Switching to another browser solve the issue. Firefox crashing? Any feedback would be nice.

I've gotten it a fair few times myself. Getting a tad annoying.

Same.

Maps I use religiously. It borked on me today with GPS lost. Lucky had a old
GPS device in the car.

Probably obviously mentioned. Updated Nexus 5 to 5.0 and Chromes seems to continuously crash on me along with other apps like whatsapp. But mostly Chrome. Anyone else having this issue? Switching to another browser solve the issue. Firefox crashing? Any feedback would be nice.

Same issue here. Chrome constantly crashes.

To solve this change the tab layout in Chrome to the old style pre lolipop. Crashes be gone.

Same.

Maps I use religiously. It borked on me today with GPS lost. Lucky had a old
GPS device in the car.

To solve this change the tab layout in Chrome to the old style pre lolipop. Crashes be gone.

How does one do that? I checked settings, but I don't see something that changes tab layout per say besides that merge feature.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Haven't had any Chrome crashes at all. Maybe because I did a clean flash (with a full wipe).

I use the new/standard setting, and have no issues.

So yeah, it's weird.

Cade

My 2013 N7 wi-fi finally got the update. I feel like I've been waiting forever but was too lazy to flash. Glorious joy when i saw dat rectangle with dat arrow.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Using Nova cause I can't stand the persistent search bar. Is there no way to get rid of that shit on the GEL?

No, and this is one of the main reasons I don't use GEL (the other is the inability to hide apps that I can't remove from my phone). I have talked about this in the Android thread before, but there are (by my count) FOUR ways to get to the search screen from your main page using GEL.
  • Say "OK, Google"
  • Tap the persistent search bar
  • Swipe up from the home button
  • Swipe in from the left
I understand Google's desire to make it as easy as possible to access their search, but I think it's totally overkill.

npa189

So 5.0 murdered my G Pad GPE, super laggy and slow now. Is this Google's way of prodding me to get a nexus 9? Oh well its mainly a PDF/Ereader.

Top Bottom