• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Sch1sm

The flag triggers the command to tell the installer to run the function to wipe the phone to make you cry because you lost everything.

I always wondered why people keep anything
they think is
important on their devices or don't copy it to a computer, or cloud service.

Husker86

I always wondered why people keep anything
they think is
important on their devices or don't copy it to a computer, or cloud service.

I'm pretty much all in the cloud. I've never accidentally wiped, but have witnessed too many people panicking because they either accidentally wiped their phone or were forced to.

The only thing I've ever really lost was Kingdom Rush game save (it might be backed up now with new version, but it wasn't supported at the time). I got over it in a minute and just didn't play again.

rtcn63

Fellas, question- is the Nexus 4 still viable for web browsing, modern apps, etc.? Very little gaming if that. Considering buying a used one from a friend.

mnannola

Fellas, question- is the Nexus 4 still viable for web browsing, modern apps, etc.? Very little gaming if that. Considering buying a used one from a friend.

I'm still rocking a 16GB with Lollipop, and it's great. I have this weird issue where calling someone lags a few seconds. Other than that it's smooth sailing.

Sch1sm

Are you going to use it as a phone or some glorified Android-like iPod Touch? And how much is your friend selling it to you for?

Husker86

I pick mine up every once in a while and it still seems good. Even use it occasionally for games and they run fine.

Love the rounded edges of the glass...I miss those.

Ty4on

Battery life is kinda crap and the camera is muddy, but otherwise it's a great phone. Snappier than many modern phones, especially with Lollipop. One downside for gaming is the overheating.

The battery saver has so far done a great job when I've needed it. I'm pretty sure it's most effective at high capacities (above 70%) because that's when your phone decides to do a bunch of updates. If the battery is shot it's not very hard to replace and doesn't require any soldering or special tools. This also makes the glass back easy to replace should it break.

rtcn63

Are you going to use it as a phone or some glorified Android-like iPod Touch? And how much is your friend selling it to you for?

Glorified touch mostly, I'm on prepaid, and don't do calls much. He's selling it for $130ish. For comparison, my current phone is an iphone 3GS.

Sch1sm

Glorified touch mostly, I'm on prepaid, and don't do calls much. He's selling it for $130ish. For comparison, my current phone is an iphone 3GS.

It's perfectly fine, really. I've seen a whole two complaints on this thread about it since 5.0 was rolled out. Battery is eh, 2100 mAh - better than the 3GS by just shy of 900, though, so you'll be satisfied with it. I don't see any real problem with it, though it'll most likely be outdated by the next OS.

Jeff-DSA

I'm hoping that we can drop the search bar in a future update. I honestly don't use it ever.

The biggest gripe I have is how much less intelligent it is with volume/sound management.

Example: I'm Chromecasting a show for the kids, and I decide to play a game on my phone. The game loads up, and the volume is low. So I tap the volume up, and it defaults to the Chromecast volume. To get to the game's volume, it forces me to go into settings, navigate to the media volume slider, and adjust it there. Then I get back to my game and hope it's the right volume. On Kit Kat I used to always be able to control the volume of whatever app was in use at the time. Background stuff never took priority.

I also hate that you can't go into silent (or priority mode) by using the volume buttons. WHY NOT?! In Kit Kat you could tap the volume button to go all the way down to vibrate, and then one tap up put you on silent (no vibrate). I miss this functionality.

rtcn63

Thanks all. I was deciding between it and the Moto G, but the latter has less ram, though it comes with microSD support. If I get the Nexus, I'd probably root it to install franco kernel to fix the colors. (No idea how, but I'll figure it out)

Sch1sm

I'm hoping that we can drop the search bar in a future update. I honestly don't use it ever.

The biggest gripe I have is how much less intelligent it is with volume/sound management.

Example: I'm Chromecasting a show for the kids, and I decide to play a game on my phone. The game loads up, and the volume is low. So I tap the volume up, and it defaults to the Chromecast volume. To get to the game's volume, it forces me to go into settings, navigate to the media volume slider, and adjust it there. Then I get back to my game and hope it's the right volume. On Kit Kat I used to always be able to control the volume of whatever app was in use at the time. Background stuff never took priority.

I also hate that you can't go into silent (or priority mode) by using the volume buttons. WHY NOT?! In Kit Kat you could tap the volume button to go all the way down to vibrate, and then one tap up put you on silent (no vibrate). I miss this functionality.

Yeah. It's pretty stupid in terms of changing volume. If I'm playing music, say when the song is just loading up, and I try and change volume it'll change notification volume instead of the volume of the media. They should have kept the same volume controls as KitKat with the added Do Not Disturb function, saves loads of time.

2100mAh is a decent capacity if the phone has a modest power consumption. It's slightly more than what the Moto G has.

I barely scratch 3 h SoT on the N5 2300, 3.5 on a good day.

dandonnan

Neo Member
Got the notification for 5.0 on my 2013 Nexus 7 a couple of weeks ago but ignored it and when I eventually decided to give it ago, it had vanished.

5.0.1 finally popped up today. For time comparisons on how long it took, it was almost half an hour (with the update already downloaded) before I got back to the home screen. Spent about 10 minutes on the installing section, with a large chunk with the loading bar right at the end. It was around 5 minutes on the boot up screen. Then another 10 optimising apps.

Not as big as a difference as I expected, to be honest. Suppose I'll notice more in the coming days.

Ty4on

I barely scratch 3 h SoT on the N5 2300, 3.5 on a good day.

There could be a bajillion reasons. Is the brightness too high (Lollipop has much improved auto brightness)? Does it sleep properly? What do you do on screen?

My screen on time is very low because I primarily use it for podcasts which steals valuable sleep and when it's on I browse the web. I dunno the exact number, I never fill the battery hence my current screen on time of 6h48m.

Doing the same things the N5 is still more than 10% better than the N4 and the Moto G demolishes the N4.

Sch1sm

There could be a bajillion reasons. Is the brightness too high (Lollipop has much improved auto brightness)? Does it sleep properly? What do you do on screen?

My screen on time is very low because I primarily use it for podcasts which steals valuable sleep and when it's on I browse the web. I dunno the exact number, I never fill the battery hence my current screen on time of 6h48m.

Doing the same things the N5 is still more than 10% better than the N4 and the Moto G demolishes the N4.

I never have brightness high, and I dot n's adaptive brightness. Never. It's always as low as my visibility allows, and since most places I'm at have fairly dim lighting it tends to stick to the lowest setting. My SoT is alright, if only for all the web browsing.
I always shift blame to Chrome.
Typical day is that and WhatsApp, Messenger for Facebook. Maybe Skype, but that's rare.
I always go for the full charge, never any less unless I'm in a rush to get out and it hasn't finished. Currently at 2.5 h with 35% left and approximately 5hrs remaining according to battery stats. It's been running since about 8:45 AM, but it's been a slower day since I'm studying for finals.
That was my entire point, though, the N5 is better than the N4. Not by much, but it is.

Husker86

Thanks all. I was deciding between it and the Moto G, but the latter has less ram, though it comes with microSD support. If I get the Nexus, I'd probably root it to install franco kernel to fix the colors. (No idea how, but I'll figure it out)

Oh man, the Franco Kernel 'Recommended Color Fix' or whatever makes such a huge difference. It does make it a pain for updates, though, since OTAs won't work.

But if you're going as far as custom kernel, then you should have no problem updating via Factory Images (you can do that without wiping your data). Those overwrite the kernel, so you'll have to reapply franco afterwards.

Noema

Guide to Install Lollipop on the 2013 Moto G:

Basically, Motorola has been doing soak tests for 5.0 in Brazil. Someone figured out that if you flash the stock 4.4.4 firmware that those Brazilian Moto Gs use, you can then update to Lollipop OTA. The update is for the XT1033 (dual SIM GSM Moto G) but it works on the the XT1028, 31, 32, and 33. If you live in the US most likely you have the XT1032, though I believe the Verizon model is the XT1028.

It's not for the faint of heart though. I'll probably try this myself over the weekend just so I have an excuse to tinker with my phone.

Don't get the Moto G. Lack of RAM really hurts the phone. 1GB of RAM isn't enough for a smooth Android experience.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nexus 5 being very sluggish recently so going to wipe it today hope it helps

i manually reboot mine once per day because of the memory issues with L. hope google pushes an update soon. also i have gotten a few phone crash/reboots (yeah, i mean wtf) when opening the camera from the lock screen and trying to record videos

i'm in berkeley and i was trying to film some shit at the protests. nothing more frustrating than wanting to capture a fleeting moment on your phone and it FUCKING REBOOTS right when you try

i cleared the camera cache and i think it is working now... but man, that should never happen. better not happen anymore. :(

really been a love/hate relationship with android for me. love L's look and feel but i run into a lot more major bugs than on ios

Ty4on

My Nexus 4 used to reboot all the time when connecting to car stereos. It also really liked Poweramp and would always start music from it when I hit the play button even though I listen to Pocket Casts 99% of the time. The BT controls worked in Pocket Casts, the phone just forgot about it after ~1 minute and opened Poweramp instead. It liked Poweramp so much it overrode the trial lock out so I had music playing from an app I couldn't open...

Lollipop fixed all of that. Bluetooth commands now start whatever media app was used last and it hasn't frozen once yet. I used to have days where it would freeze multiple times when I used bluetooth commands, it seemed to happen right after a phone call was done.

Rootbeer

Banned
great just tested it and it rebooted again. easy for me to reproduce.

i'm on nexus 5 with Android 5.0.0 (did a clean slate flash)

from the lock screen, swipe right to open the camera. then swipe up on the carms and set it to video. then touch to start recording a video... BOOM it reboots

this is some bullshit.

thenexus6

i manually reboot mine once per day because of the memory issues with L. hope google pushes an update soon. also i have gotten a few phone crash/reboots (yeah, i mean wtf) when opening the camera from the lock screen and trying to record videos

i'm in berkeley and i was trying to film some shit at the protests. nothing more frustrating than wanting to capture a fleeting moment on your phone and it FUCKING REBOOTS right when you try

i cleared the camera cache and i think it is working now... but man, that should never happen. better not happen anymore. :(

really been a love/hate relationship with android for me. love L's look and feel but i run into a lot more major bugs than on ios

Yeah, visually L is great but all these animations slow it down. Same thing when iOS7 came along.

Just downloaded the OTA update from Motorola and Lollipop is beautiful and all but some functionality went backwards in relations to KitKat.I had my my phone on vibrate but all notification are silenced. That's not what I wanted to do. Also, what's a good app to see the battery percentage.

Holy shit, must be the end of days. Got the 5.0.1 update tonight. Works great. Love the design.

Edit (update): my wife and I are seeing a ton of wifi drops even on 5.0.1. Send strange as hell. Why would the basic architecture of connecting to wifi/GPS have changed to cause this?

Just keep in mind the nexus 4 has much worse battery life than the moto g. When I owned a nexus 4 I couldn't make it past 5 pm and that was before kitkat.

Got 5.0.1.
I was hoping they would bring back the mute function. but what do they do? they fix the bug that the phone boots into mute. aargh. now mute is gone.

i dont want my phone to vibrate during the night and during work!! this sucks.

Sch1sm

Got 5.0.1.
I was hoping they would bring back the mute function. but what do they do? they fix the bug that the phone boots into mute. aargh. now mute is gone.

i dont want my phone to vibrate during the night and during work!! this sucks.

Do not disturb mode is your best friend. Then volume down into none and choose the, "until your downtime ends" option. Of course you'll have to change your downtime span each time which is annoying.

Do not disturb mode is your best friend. Then volume down into none and choose the, "until your downtime ends" option. Of course you'll have to change your downtime span each time which is annoying.

But if i choose none, alarms are not working. which doesnt make any sense either. if you set an alarm why wouldnt you wanna hear it? ;) i need to hear my alarm in the morning.

at work i have my phone on my desk and I would like to see the LED blink if somone messages me or calls me. But no vibration or sound. that would annoy the hell out of everyone.

Sch1sm

But if i choose none, alarms are not working. which doesnt make any sense either. if you set an alarm why wouldnt you wanna hear it? ;) i need to hear my alarm in the morning.

at work i have my phone on my desk and I would like to see the LED blink if somone messages me or calls me. But no vibration or sound. that would annoy the hell out of everyone.

Pssh, if you set it with do not disturb time
and set do not disturb time to end 15 minutes before your alarm, or something
that's easily avoidable. >>

Yeah, I miss being able to do that. RIP KK.

jay23

Doing a factory reset leaves my phone rooted and bootloader unlocked correct?

If i where to factory reset my nexus 4 which has CM 11 installed, would i be back on stock rom? Can I then flash the factory image for lollipop?

Pssh, if you set it with do not disturb time
and set do not disturb time to end 15 minutes before your alarm, or something
that's easily avoidable. >>

Yeah, I miss being able to do that. RIP KK.

going through all that just to mute your phone is incredibly stupid. i dont know what google was thinking.
also it only lets you pick whole hours (0-8) for "do not disturb"

I hope that someone will develop an app to give me back silent mode.

Sch1sm

going through all that just to mute your phone is incredibly stupid. i dont know what google was thinking.
also it only lets you pick whole hours (0-8) for "do not disturb"

I hope that someone will develop an app to give me back silent mode.

Uh, no. You can alter the minutes, too, if you tap on the :00, and it can be for any amount of time. Google was confused, it hurts. Part of me wants to flash back to 4.4.4, but it won't be the same at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Put it in priority mode, and change your settings so that nothing is a priority. That's effectively silent mode with alarms.

daxy

Reading the comments above, is there actually a net benefit to updating from 4.4.4 to 5 in terms of usability (on Moto G 2013)? Seems like a trade off between the new hotness and maintaining a user friendly experience at the moment.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Reading the comments above, is there actually a net benefit to updating from 4.4.4 to 5 in terms of usability (on Moto G 2013)? Seems like a trade off between the new hotness and maintaining a user friendly experience at the moment.

From what I've read it doesn't detract from the usability of the phone, I'm curious as well as I'm using a Moto G myself. Might not make things better, but as far as I can tell, it certainly doesn't make things worse.
The main issue with the Moto G are the reloading apps, it seems that Motorola went a little overboard with MinFree RAM (how much RAM the OS allows to be used before it starts to kill apps) setting since 4.4.4.

You can fix that if you root it and change the values yourself or install an app that allow does it for you.
As far as I can tell they haven't changed the way the Moto Gs handle RAM usage in 5.0, but then again, they haven't relased a final build yet, a lot of people seem to bring it up a lot so hopefully Motorola has a solution.

I'd really like it if you could "Pin" an app so that it's immune to getting killed, it'd solve stuff like music players getting killed and your music just stopping for one.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm kinda surprised nobody has looked for an app to work around the vibration/silence issue. There has to be something in the PlayStore right?

Top Bottom