• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

kehs

Banned
Breaks my heart that Sammy users will never see those gorgeous new notifications on the lock screen.

W8otwp2.png

?

jimbor

Banned
Seems like maybe a bit much changed under the hood to ensure a smooth update from 4.4 to 5.0. Like I've said, I did a clean flash, leaving no remnants of KK or any old app data on the phone, and my experience has been very smooth. No problems updating to 5.0.1 either.

Didn't want to have to do it but think I will.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My N7 2012 was damn near unusable after I updated it. It's still preliminary but a factory reset seems to have made a huge difference.

It was so bad I was even ready to buy a new tablet.

belvedere

Junior Butler
My N7 2012 was damn near unusable after I updated it. It's still preliminary but a factory reset seems to have made a huge difference.

It was so bad I was even ready to buy a new tablet.

Same here. It started out fairly responsive after wiping, then flashing 5.0, but now it's practically useless once again. I need to scour XDA to see if there's any alternative roms that improve performance.

bms2993

Banned
Come again?

Well, you know Samsung like to infuse their TouchWiz UI with stock Android's UI. As far as lollipop for S5 users is concerned, it looks nearly the same as KitKat. Not happy about that, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the S5. If you buy a Samung, you get TouchWiz. No other options.. especially on a regional carrier like mine.

You can see we S5 users do not get any of the Lollipop beniefts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcWO_QHsp4

Wreav

Banned

We have yet to see them in motion, if they pop the screen on from sleep, etc. 5.0 notifications are much more than a white card.

Also in that video that you pulled the screencap from, there's no screen pinning in the app switcher. /sigh

jambo

5.0.1 seems to have fixed most of my issues.

I haven't used the phone heavily but I haven't had any freezing or blank home screens after closing an app. App switching and moving between windows is also much, much smoother.

JVIDICAN

We have yet to see them in motion, if they pop the screen on from sleep, etc. 5.0 notifications are much more than a white card.

Also in that video that you pulled the screencap from, there's no screen pinning in the app switcher. /sigh
I flashed the leaked lolipop build on to my girlfriends sprint s5. Heads up notifications are there in full force. Same with the new statusbar, though with different content than stock. All the lollipop under the hood benefits are there too. Overall it looks like a solid update and I'm jealous that I won't be seeing it on the att s5 for a while yet.

Wreav

Banned
I flashed the leaked lolipop build on to my girlfriends sprint s5. Heads up notifications are there in full force. Same with the new statusbar, though with different content than stock. All the lollipop under the hood benefits are there too. Overall it looks like a solid update and I'm jealous that I won't be seeing it on the att s5 for a while yet.

Awesome. Did they roll their own screen pinning method?

So, as it turns out, my battery problems are due to my battery being busted.

Google Support is going to replace it, though, so it should be all good soon.

killatopak

Gold Member
So what are the differences betweeb the 64bit and 32bit versions of lollipop? Thinking of buying a z4 if it's comes with sd810.

alatif113

Had to replace my nexus 5 with a new one because of a faulty GPS. The new one however can't seem to find the 5.0 update. It keeps saying the OS is currently up to date.

I'm using my first Android device (Nexus 6), and a couple things have been on my mind:

How do you update the built-in apps? YouTube said it had an update, and I ignored it at the time, and now I can't figure out how to get it to update.

Also do you guys recommend a different launcher? Is there a simple one that lets me do very minor things like remove the app names?

I'm using my first Android device (Nexus 6), and a couple things have been on my mind:

How do you update the built-in apps? YouTube said it had an update, and I ignored it at the time, and now I can't figure out how to get it to update.

Also do you guys recommend a different launcher? Is there a simple one that lets me do very minor things like remove the app names?
same way you'd update any app, go to the play store go to my apps and tap on the one and it'll say "update" if there's one available.

I wouldn't use a launcher on stock but hey if you want to play around with customization try out nova launcher or apex or whatever people are using these days.

same way you'd update any app, go to the play store go to my apps and tap on the one and it'll say "update" if there's one available.

I wouldn't use a launcher on stock but hey if you want to play around with customization try out nova launcher or apex or whatever people are using these days.

YouTube wasn't showing up on that list, oddly enough.

Rktk

I like to use Apex launcher because I don't want the search bar on every home screen, I also prefer the icon scaling over stock and you can rename apps, remove the names and change icons.

MercuryLS

Banned
I updated my dad's Nexus 4 to Lollipop. It's a lot nicer than the previous Android OS's. I still think that the music app is ass, way too many taps to do basic things and the design is still not great.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This out for the One M7 yet? My Moto G died and qs luck would have it a friend is selling her M7 for peanuts.

Yukiari

I literally cannot find a single person who thinks otherwise. I too am a S5 owner and TouchWiz makes me cringe every time I turn on the phone. :p Memory management is horrendous on the S5 and the whole UI on TouchWiz Home is dated. Really dated.

T_T I was going to pick up an S5. What would you recommend other than that? I was thinking about the Turbo but I keep hearing bad things about the Camera,

Xristot

Weird question here.

I initially got the OTA 5.0 update but I kept ignoring it because I was a little busy for a few weeks. Finally when I had time to sit with it, I realized that the notification was gone. If I check for updates it says I'm up to date even though I'm still on the old version.

Any thoughts on how to get that OTA update? Am I screwed?

bms2993

Banned
T_T I was going to pick up an S5. What would you recommend other than that? I was thinking about the Turbo but I keep hearing bad things about the Camera,

Depends on what carrier you are on. I'm stuck with a regional carrier where the S5 was the best option-- so I took it. And, hey, if you do want a camera, the S5 excels in that area. I've never had a phone take as sharp and clear photos as it has.

MANGOD

Banned
WTF is up with this update. Its a step back for me and I wish I could go back to the previous as it adds just problems and ive not came accross anything new that I find usefull.
First up no silent mode, just do not disturb which was an option in the last os that i didnt bother with and now im forced to use. In
do not disturb mode your alarm will not go off with a tone which is total nonsense and im glad that it happened when it wasnt a work day so I could avoid a rage if it did. So now when I go to sleep I cant set the phone to a complete silence as my woke up call will not work.
Next up is now I cant see a whatsapp message on my lock screen or use anyother of the apps I had set up without unlocking the phone because the contents are hidden. GIVE ME THE FUCKIN OPTION IF I WANT THIS HIDDEN

Sch1sm

WTF is up with this update. Its a step back for me and I wish I could go back to the previous as it adds just problems and ive not came accross anything new that I find usefull.
First up no silent mode, just do not disturb which was an option in the last os that i didnt bother with and now im forced to use. In
do not disturb mode your alarm will not go off with a tone which is total nonsense and im glad that it happened when it wasnt a work day so I could avoid a rage if it did. So now when I go to sleep I cant set the phone to a complete silence as my woke up call will not work.
Next up is now I cant see a whatsapp message on my lock screen or use anyother of the apps I had set up without unlocking the phone because the contents are hidden. GIVE ME THE FUCKIN OPTION IF I WANT THIS HIDDEN

You can go backwards. Flash back to KK, not that difficult.
You can easily use priority mode to go into silent so long as you have no apps in App Notifications set to priority - in these cases online priority contacts (and you can choose to remove that entirely, actually, in the Do Not Disturb settings) and your alarm will set the phone off in that mode. It's tedious, sure, but it works.
You have the option if it's hidden. Go into Sound & Notifications > When device is locked > Show all notification content. Now go back, App Notifications > check apps to unmark sensitivity if any have it. Then nothing will be hidden at all.

Maybe calm down a bit, bud. There's solutions to everything, and we've been going over them in the Android OT since 5.0 was in dev preview. But like I said, flash back to KK if this is so problematic for you. I disagree with what Google did in terms of silent mode, but the latter portion of your complaint is something you just overlooked on your own.

Is anybody finding their phones keep going to standby ever so often? My Nexus 4 is acting strange every time I put it to sleep and doesn't come on again.

ana

It looks like they have fixed some problems that nexus 7 2012 model had with kitkat.. Mainly Fstrim and other performance problems..

At least now my Nexus is usable when compared to kitkat

linkboy

Same here. It started out fairly responsive after wiping, then flashing 5.0, but now it's practically useless once again. I need to scour XDA to see if there's any alternative roms that improve performance.

Look into a ROM that supports f2fs, that should i improve your write speeds

RoadHazard

Gold Member

#1: DND didn't exist before 5.0, unless you're talking about some OEM skin. Stock Android has never had it before. Anyway, Priority mode with nothing set as a priority (unless you want to) will act as silent mode, and alarms will still sound.

#2: THERE IS A FUCKING OPTION. It's in the notification settings. Set it to allow sensitive content on the lock screen, and then set the apps you actually think are sensitive as sensitive. Now only those apps' notifications will have their contents hidden, everything else will be visible.

MANGOD

Banned
#1: DND didn't exist before 5.0, unless you're talking about some OEM skin. Stock Android has never had it before. Anyway, Priority mode with nothing set as a priority (unless you want to) will act as silent mode, and alarms will still sound.

#2: THERE IS A FUCKING OPTION. It's in the notification settings. Set it to allow sensitive content on the lock screen, and then set the apps you actually think are sensitive as sensitive. Now only those apps' notifications will have their contents hidden, everything else will be visible.
I don't know what phone you have but with an lg g3 there was as a do not disturb setting on android 4. Ive managed to dick about with settings and can get my alarm to sound but what a bloody hassle to do so.
Second I dont know if I made my point clear. Before updating when on the lockscreen of the g3 I could have access to certain widgets without having to unlock the phone to see certain info. I.E whats app i could read any received message on the lock screen. Gmail i could see my inbox and what mails i had received.
I've had a look at your suggestion and this still does not do what i want and what I had before the update. With the phone locked now it does not show anything but message received or email etc.
For me its a step back, like ive said I have yet to find an improvement with how i use my phone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't know what phone you have but with an lg g3 there was as a do not disturb setting on android 4. Ive managed to dick about with settings and can get my alarm to sound but what a bloody hassle to do so.
Second I dont know if I made my point clear. Before updating when on the lockscreen of the g3 I could have access to certain widgets without having to unlock the phone to see certain info. I.E whats app i could read any received message on the lock screen. Gmail i could see my inbox and what mails i had received.
I've had a look at your suggestion and this still does not do what i want and what I had before the update. With the phone locked now it does not show anything but message received or email etc.
For me its a step back, like ive said I have yet to find an improvement with how i use my phone.

OK, that was an LG thing then. Like I said, stock Android never had DND before 5.0.

And yeah, lock screen widgets are dead.

Top Bottom