• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

alatif113

Is it normal that my Nexus 5 still hasn't received the lollipop OTA update? Says the system is up to date when i try to manually search for an update.

injurai

Banned
I played around with a Lollipop Moto X yesterday. I was a bit worried by the calendar app. It seems horrifically sloppy and unusable. The google browser one is fine, and the iphone one is great. Not sure If I'm just using it wrong or if there are other settings I need to figure out.

It's my biggest concern to jumping to lollipop, because I prefer just using stock apps. Are there any other front end apps for google's calendar services?

Sch1sm

I played around with a Lollipop Moto X yesterday. I was a bit worried by the calendar app. It seems horrifically sloppy and unusable. The google browser one is fine, and the iphone one is great. Not sure If I'm just using it wrong or if there are other settings I need to figure out.

It's my biggest concern to jumping to lollipop, because I prefer just using stock apps. Are there any other front end apps for google's calendar services?

Could always use Today Calendar. Beautiful replacement for the stock one.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok, so I just got a OPO and put Lollipop on it. I'm really loving this OS, this is the first Android build that makes me not miss iOS. It's not perfect but it's quite polished and for the first time, buttery smooth with very few hitches.

Also my issue with Google Play Music (ugly app) was solved by the Liquid Smooth rom I downloaded, it came with an alternative music player that is beautiful, simple and very functional. That was my #1 concern, finding a great music app for Android. I got lucky here.

Noema

I finally flashed Lollipop on my Moto G (XT1032). I used the stock GPE 5.0.1 ROM, even though my Moto G is not GPE.

After using it for a week I must say I'm very pleased with it. Like MercuryLS said, I feel that with Lollipop Android has finally reached iOS in terms of polish, user experience and design. 4.x era Android felt like an uneven mishmash of styles and it was tainted by the Holo design aesthetics which I always found tacky. Not to mention, Kit Kat didn't run all that well on the Moto G. It was choppy and full of little hiccups and hangups here and there.

There's a very distinct performance improvement. My phone is super smooth now, with most animations running at 60fps most of the time. Hangups and hiccups are almost non-existent now. I suppose part of this is due to the GPE ROM being slimmer than the Motorola ROM, but even then it's clear that Google has spent time optimizing Android with Proyect Svelte further. With Kit Kat, my RAM footprint after a fresh boot was around 700MB, leaving just about 180MB free for Apps, which just wasn't enough. This is what a fresh boot of Lollipop looks like:

acPGHka.png

Combined with the change to ART, everything just feels much better. It's figuratively like having a new phone. Two weeks ago I was truly frustrated by this phone and now it's become a joy to use. I know most of you guys use high end phones with Snapdragon 80X SoCs and 2 or even 3GB of RAM, so maybe the performance improvements on Lollipop aren't so noticeable, but on a low end device like the Moto G, the tweaks are not only noticeable; they are dramatic.

Also, the Moto G's saving grace has always been its battery life. With 5.0.1 battery life is just ridiculous. This is after a day of Netflix, YouTube, web browsing, Tinder, a lot of Kingdom Rush and a ton of Spotify:

What sorcery is this?

Pifje

Galaxy Note 2 is getting Lollipop 5.0 as well. This is awesome.

It looks like I can postpone getting a new phone by quite some time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I finally flashed Lollipop on my Moto G (XT1032). I used the stock GPE 5.0.1 ROM, even though my Moto G is not GPE.

After using it for a week I must say I'm very pleased with it. Like MercuryLS said, I feel that with Lollipop Android has finally reached iOS in terms of polish, user experience and design. 4.x era Android felt like an uneven mishmash of styles and it was tainted by the Holo design aesthetics which I always found tacky. Not to mention, Kit Kat didn't run all that well on the Moto G. It was choppy and full of little hiccups and hangups here and there.

There's a very distinct performance improvement. My phone is super smooth now, with most animations running at 60fps most of the time. Hangups and hiccups are almost non-existent now. I suppose part of this is due to the GPE ROM being slimmer than the Motorola ROM, but even then it's clear that Google has spent time optimizing Android with Proyect Svelte further. With Kit Kat, my RAM footprint after a fresh boot was around 700MB, leaving just about 180MB free for Apps, which just wasn't enough. This is what a fresh boot of Lollipop looks like:

Combined with the change to ART, everything just feels much better. It's figuratively like having a new phone. Two weeks ago I was truly frustrated by this phone and now it's become a joy to use. I know most of you guys use high end phones with Snapdragon 80X SoCs and 2 or even 3GB of RAM, so maybe the performance improvements on Lollipop aren't so noticeable, but on a low end device like the Moto G, the tweaks are not only noticeable; they are dramatic.

Also, the Moto G's saving grace has always been its battery life. With 5.0.1 battery life is just ridiculous. This is after a day of Netflix, YouTube, web browsing, Tinder, a lot of Kingdom Rush and a ton of Spotify:

What sorcery is this?

That's... absolutely insane. Over 7 hours of SoT?! Are you sure you didn't charge it a bit during that time? These stats only reset after a full charge, I'm pretty sure.

gtj1092

Is anyone else having issues with the Nexus 5 on lollipop 5.01. I have to reboot my phone constantly just to recieve messages or it just randomly powers down on its own. Getting frustrated. Any hints or tips. Should I factory reset?

OG Kush

Ok, so I just got a OPO and put Lollipop on it. I'm really loving this OS, this is the first Android build that makes me not miss iOS. It's not perfect but it's quite polished and for the first time, buttery smooth with very few hitches.

Also my issue with Google Play Music (ugly app) was solved by the Liquid Smooth rom I downloaded, it came with an alternative music player that is beautiful, simple and very functional. That was my #1 concern, finding a great music app for Android. I got lucky here.

Poweramp is a pretty great music player I found.

Lulu23

So, if rooted and updated manually, Android 5.0 works on any phone, say for example, my two years old Galaxy S3?

I've been wanting to buy a new phone because I want stock Android Lollipop. But if there is a way to not have to buy a Nexus 6 for that (Nexus 5 isn't available anymore) I'd like to get a smaller phone, or even just update my old SGS3, which has ok hardware, it's just TouchWiz that I hate.

Noema

That's... absolutely insane. Over 7 hours of SoT?! Are you sure you didn't charge it a bit during that time? These stats only reset after a full charge, I'm pretty sure.

I didn't charge it at all, though I must add that for the most part brightness was kept at around 20% since I spent most of that day in my bedroom and there wasn't a lot of light. I'm sure it doesn't reflect typical usage but it still shows how good battery life can be on a Moto G with Lollipop.

Noema

So, if rooted and updated manually, Android 5.0 works on any phone, say for example, my two years old Galaxy S3?

It's not that simple. Google releases the source code for each version of Android, and then each manufacturer uses that code to build a ROM that works with each of the phones they want to support with that version of Android. Since the AOSP is open source, enterprising individuals or groups can build their own custom ROMs bypassing the manufacturers, but unless a ROM built for your specific phone exists, you are out of luck.

In the case of the Galaxy S3, it's a popular phone, so some people have already cooked up custom Lollipop ROMs but these are work-in-progress so you should proceed at your own risk.

If you want a cheap phone to try Lollipop on, the Moto G can easily be flashed to the GPE Lollipop ROM, which is pure stock Android.

Rootbeer

Banned
After having some issues with 5.0 and subsequently reflashing to 5.0.1, these past two weeks i've been absolutely loving my N5. It's like an all new phone with this OS. The very best mobile OS I have ever used.

brau

I'll try to look back at the thread.

But on my Nexus 7 i feel like everything lags, and sometimes it will hang when browsing or some apps. Making it really painful to do anything on it.

Anyone else has this happened? or maybe some solutions to help alleviate? Some apps work real nice, but opening, closing, and browsing are a pain.

Darker

Banned
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but:

(Happy) Z2 user but have a problem with one thing; the 'Swipe to Unlock' text on the lockscreen is always there with no option to turn it off (I think I'm on 4.4.4). I've looked for solutions, but they involve downloading ROM hacks (??) or internal system changes (???) or the GoldenEye, Bond (????) etc.

Anyone have any solutions/explanations?

Thanks

Lulu23

If you want a cheap phone to try Lollipop on, the Moto G can easily be flashed to the GPE Lollipop ROM, which is pure stock Android.

Alright, thanks man. So, as I have read in this thread there is also a ROM for the Moto X 2014. I might try out that phone then.

Noema

So glad I ditched Samsung and went for nexus phones after the original Galaxy S.

Touchwiz is not android.

Somewhere, deep underneath, lies Android. You know, sorta like Anakin Skywalker lay deep inside the cold robotic evil exterior of Darth Vader.

When do I get this on my HTC One M8? Trying to search for any sort of news about this on google overloads me with 1000 shitty tech blogs and I can never get a straight answer.

Is it odd my Nexus 7 2013 wi-fi model STILL hasn't got 5.0 OTA?

Both MY Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 are still waiting for the update here in the UK. Which is funny since my Nexus 4 and 5 were updated to 5.0 weeks ago. I am not that bothered really and can't see me updating my Nexus 7's to 5.0 since I think Lollipop is the biggest pile of shit since Windows 8. Still it's a good illustration of just how crap Googles Over the air updates are when has been 2 months since they released their updated OS and people are still waiting for the damn update.

I would go back to 4.4.4 but right now I can't be bothered to faff about with it all so making do with Android 5.0.1

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Both MY Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 are still waiting for the update here in the UK. Which is funny since my Nexus 4 and 5 were updated to 5.0 weeks ago. I am not that bothered really and can't see me updating my Nexus 7's to 5.0 since I think Lollipop is the biggest pile of shit since Windows 8. Still it's a good illustration of just how crap Googles Over the air updates are when has been 2 months since they released their updated OS and people are still waiting for the damn update.

I would go back to 4.4.4 but right now I can't be bothered to faff about with it all so making do with Android 5.0.1

Huh. What's so bad about it, in your opinion? Yeah, there are a few questionable design decisions and some regressions, but overall I think it's the best version of Android ever by far.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Huh. What's so bad about it, in your opinion? Yeah, there are a few questionable design decisions and some regressions, but overall I think it's the best version of Android ever by far.
Agree. I like my Nexus 7 (2013) more now that I did before the update. Would be interested in contrarian views.

Audioboxer

So glad I ditched Samsung and went for nexus phones after the original Galaxy S.

Touchwiz is not android.

I was really down when the Nexus 6 was finally announced. Wanted to upgrade from the 5 but massive phones for me, suck.

I ended up going to the Galaxy 5 LTE-A, as I wanted bleeding edge specs, and AMOLED. I know its not realistic, but on smaller portable screens I love the deep blacks (like the Vita).

Briefly I had the Moto X 2014, but I sent it back. Opted for the better 2K AMOLED in the S5 and expandable storage. Also the 3500mah official battery you can add, with minor thickness. If the Moto X didn't have such a crap battery I might have stuck with it.

Why? Touchwiz is awful. And I now hate that I'll have to wait to January for lollipop where as my old Nexus 5 had it instantly, and the Moto X very quickly. Soo many trade offs with phones...

I can't understand why Samsung can't just get it through to themselves that a lighter OS would be much easier to update. They make great hardware, albeit fairly ugly, but woeful software. The Moto X looks amazing, but has weak hardware (camera/battery).

Really hope Sony do justice to the Z4.

Noema

When do I get this on my HTC One M8? Trying to search for any sort of news about this on google overloads me with 1000 shitty tech blogs and I can never get a straight answer.

The M8 has a GPE version which probably has 5.0.1 by now. Possibly you can flash that ROM onto your phone? Or maybe flash a 4.4.4 GPE ROM and then update to Lollipop OTA.

Depends on whether it's possible to unlock the bootloader on your particular model I guess.

bms2993

Banned
So my Samsung Galaxy S5 is now running Lollipop for a pure nexus-like experience. This is the stuff dreams are made of, my galaxy breatheren:
Screenshot_2014_12_31_13_28_50.png
Screenshot_2014_12_31_13_29_02.png

akGCO47

Banned
okay wtf I can't connect to my home WiFi, it just says its saved and refuses to connect... Lollipop has been a colossal fail for me.

Top Bottom