• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

anddo0

Hah. That feature was brought back with Marshmallow? I haven't been looking into that. Cool.

We're looking at March 7th for Marshmallow (hopefully). I'm looking forward to all that extra memory. I have some mega sized games waiting to be installed. I have 32gb for the cell[hone and a 64gb for the tablet, thought about getting a 128gb, but that would be overkill ATM.

Guys, can anyone try out Layton Brothers: Mystery Room:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Level_5.MysteryRoomENG&hl=es_419

On an Android device with 6.0 Marshmallow?

I just updated my Moto G 2014 to it. It worked fine before (on Lollipop), but now I can't use any of the touch screen controls (can't pass title screen or quit). Wondering if this is some sort of issue with 6.0 or something went wrong with my phone.

Thanks!
I just checked on my Nexus 6 (6.0.1), and it worked fine. I'm trying to remember if I had a similar problem on my old Nexus 7 after a system update, but I'm not too sure.

GaussTek

I just checked on my Nexus 6 (6.0.1), and it worked fine. I'm trying to remember if I had a similar problem on my old Nexus 7 after a system update, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks for trying it out! Bummer, I guess it's something to do with the update on this phone, although everything else that worked on Lollipop works fine on Marshmallow.

Anyway, already finished it, so no big deal for now, just wanted to check my save, etc. Hopefully it works fine on my future phone! :D

louiedog

If you live in the US and have a Chromecast you can get $6 in Google Play Store credit per device from Chromecast Offers.

I've done these a couple of times before and the code it gave me was already used, maybe it's the one they gave me last time. Other people have reported the same.

web link or use the Chromecast app. You'll need to be on the same network as your Chromecast.

dead

Dicer

Banned
If you live in the US and have a Chromecast you can get $6 in Google Play Store credit per device from Chromecast Offers.

I've done these a couple of times before and the code it gave me was already used, maybe it's the one they gave me last time. Other people have reported the same.

web link or use the Chromecast app. You'll need to be on the same network as your Chromecast.

Just did both devices here, ty for the heads up...

Damn, thought this was a new offer. I only have the old "free 90 day trial of Google Music" offer and nothing else.

kennah

My googling is failing me. Is there any indication on when a Shield X1 tablet will release? I'd hate to buy a K1 if it's going to be soon.

Jazz573

Any good harvest moon style games for Android?

Only game that comes to mind recently is Stardew Valley, but that's not on mobile, sadly. I don't really think there is anything like that on Android or iOS (or at least of any real quality). I maybe be wrong tho, and if I am, I'd be glad to be proven.wrong.

Any good harvest moon style games for Android?
Supposedly, Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories is releasing sometime in the Spring. It's only Natsume's second in-house HM game, but unlike Lost Valley, it takes a more traditional approach to HM's gameplay. Reviews have largely been average, but it sounds like what you're looking for. I can't think of any others at the moment, though I could've sworn someone mentioned one in the past.

Dicer

Banned
Supposedly, Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories is releasing sometime in the Spring. It's only Natsume's second in-house HM game, but unlike Lost Valley, it takes a more traditional approach to HM's gameplay. Reviews have largely been average, but it sounds like what you're looking for. I can't think of any others at the moment, though I could've sworn someone mentioned one in the past.
I did try castaway Paradise, but it really really REALLY ad heavy

Lomax

PSY・S;198362131 said:
so, what's the catch with AU. selling all my information?

There's an ad every time you start the games. Also, developers are being paid based on usage time, so the f2p apps have converted microtransactions into time gates to motivate you to leave the apps running. It also replaced amazon's free app of the day program, so it's basically just there to get you to use their ecosystem.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else struggling with the Marshmallow 6.0.1 update?, it's hosed my battery life and Chrome now no longer remembers tabs.

Benedict

I'm on the lookout for a phone for my 9 year old daughter.
Have any suggestions that aren't too expensive but still good enough to pay games on and take photos?
Also that it has gyro and compass.

Sol1dus

So I've had a Shield Tablet for a while now. I haven't been using it as much lately. Using the controller for non- controller games is kind of a hazzle. Any of you guys own one? What kind of games to you play on it and have any of you sold it and changed to another tablet you enjoy more?

I love it's hdmi out expandable memory. After holding an ipad mini the other day I realized mine's a little bulky for how little gaming I do on it.

LEGO Batman DC Superheroes, and Beyond Gotham are both on sale for $2 each. They seem to be straight ports of the 3DS/Vita games.

I picked up Beyond Gotham since it's compatible on all my devices (DC Superheroes strangely isn't compatible on my Nvidia Shield Portable).

yogloo

So I've had a Shield Tablet for a while now. I haven't been using it as much lately. Using the controller for non- controller games is kind of a hazzle. Any of you guys own one? What kind of games to you play on it and have any of you sold it and changed to another tablet you enjoy more?

I love it's hdmi out expandable memory. After holding an ipad mini the other day I realized mine's a little bulky for how little gaming I do on it.
I have one. I mainly use it for browsing. I just wish for better battery life. Everything else is wonderful.

Super Bit Adventure just went through a huge facial overhaul!

Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirdpinnaclegames.superbitadventure&hl=en

YouTube Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXDurkv5IGk

A mobile action RPG that's inspired by old school games of the 90's that we all love. It's free to play but very, very challenging.

12672136_761533227280816_2144079765487312670_o.png

ParityBit

I am looking to pick up a JRPG for my new phone. I was thinking of trying one of the free ones from Amazon Underground. Which is the best of the ones there?

Ran rp

This might be a weird question but are there any DS-quality games on the store? I noticed there was a Layton game on the store and it made me wonder if there are other strong IPs on there that you'd normally find on the DS. I'd love to check out something similar to some old favs like Layton, Trace Memory (Another Code), Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, and Picross 3D.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Super Bit Adventure just went through a huge facial overhaul!

Google Play Link: [UL="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirdpinnaclegames.superbitadventure&hl=en"]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirdpinnaclegames.superbitadventure&hl=en[/URL]

YouTube Trailer: [L="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXDurkv5IGk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXDurkv5IGk[/URL]

A mobile action RPG that's inspired by old school games of the 90's that we all love. It's free to play but very, very challenging.

[IM]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/t31.0-8/12672136_761533227280816_2144079765487312670_o.png[/IMG]
Man, this looks like it could be a fun game but the art is so ugly and boring. Totally generic.

Really good Mobile Bundle this time:
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Humble Mobile Bundle 17 (Android-only)
$1 tier:
Prune (w/ soundtrack)
Framed
Battlestation: Harbinger (w/ soundtrack)

BTA tier:
Lara Croft GO (w/ soundtrack)
Frozen Synapse Prime
Sorcery! 3
Lost Echo
Unmechanical
Puddle+

$6 tier:
Grim Fandango Remastered (w/ soundtrack)
Desktop Dungeons

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is the Grim Fandango port good? I don't care about the other games, but I'd love to give that one a try
I played the PSV/PS4 port. I can't imagine why the Android port would be much different.

Seeing it through my nostalgia, I can see its warts and honestly say it has some clunky or abstruse puzzles. It still has bugs, but that's part of keeping the original game under the hood.

With all that said, it's still a lovely little game that will make you smile and fall in love with the characters. I'd say Manny and Glottis are right up there with other media friendships from movies and books -- stands the test of time.

For the given price -- get it, and play to the end. Use a non-spoiler walkthrough like this one: http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/grimfand.php

anddo0

$1 tier:
Prune (w/ soundtrack)
Framed

BTA tier:
Frozen Synapse Prime
Sorcery! 3
+ More next week

$6 tier:
Desktop Dungeons

Crazy good bundle.

I own most of those, but games like Sorcery 3 are the Amazon version. So I'll gladly pay above asking price... Frozen Synapse Prime and Desktop Dungeons alone make this worth it for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I randomly stumbled upon Exiled Kingdoms yesterday. Game is SUPER good if you enjoy old-school adventure RPGs. Definitely would suggest the free version for anyone looking for something like this.

Lomax

Been playing Juggernaut Wars, seems pretty good for the typical fight 3 round level up, fight 3 more rounds, level up, type game...

maxresdefault.jpg

I do really like the art style.

Installed this last night and enjoyed it a little bit, but when I turn of notifications but still get them, I uninstall and move on. If a game wants my time and/or money, then respect my phone.

BIGWORM

Sqenix recently (I guess) released The World Ends With You on the Play Store. It's $17 or $18 bucks, though. Worth it?

Dicer

Banned
Installed this last night and enjoyed it a little bit, but when I turn of notifications but still get them, I uninstall and move on. If a game wants my time and/or money, then respect my phone.

Yeah, it def needs some tweaking, as it is rough around the edges, I hope they work things out as it's a lovely game otherwise.

awp69

$1 tier:
Prune (w/ soundtrack)
Framed

BTA tier:
Frozen Synapse Prime
Sorcery! 3
Lost Echo
Unmechanical
Puddle+

$6 tier:
Desktop Dungeons

Quoted just in case anyone misses the three games added. Probably the best mobile HB ever.

kennah

Found a 2013 Nexus 7 32Gig for about $100 US. Picking it up tomorrow. Pretty excited to have a tablet to play my android games on.

DonMigs85

Found a 2013 Nexus 7 32Gig for about $100 US. Picking it up tomorrow. Pretty excited to have a tablet to play my android games on.
Just a warning that it doesn't run the latest intensive 3D games very well anymore though. But anything 2014 and older runs great

leng jai

Any recommendations for simple games similar to Monument Valley? I can't stand mobile games with complex control schemes and elaborate UIs.

Top Bottom