• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
otake said:
This is not meant as a troll comment, I have serious issues with these Android phones.

Recently my employer told me to go pick up a new phone. So I read up on the Android phones, mytouch, G1, etc. And I went and played with them.

I have problems with the interface being slow. Everything has a slight delay on these phones. But my real problem was the requirement of having a google account to access the phone and the requirement of syncing your address book to google in order to get your contacts on the phone. This was a deal breaker for me and raised serious concerns.

It's also slow when searching for contacts and emails.

So my question to those of you living the corporate life, how did you get the company to approve this phone?

The google account is only needed for the marketplace. You do not need to sync anything with your google account, including email. Email updates from the google account are easily turned off. If your contacts are in Exchange, you can synch with a third-party app like Touchdown.

Mine's not slow-- not all google phones are created equal. Also depends on if there are a ton of apps running in the background.

My company had no problem approvign the phone.

otake said:
So my question to those of you living the corporate life, how did you get the company to approve this phone?
I'm not the typical example because the small company I work for uses Google Apps as our email system, so the Google connectivity is a huge plus for me.

However, you can turn off any and all Google data services, including Contacts, Gmail, Google Search, Location awareness, Web History, etc.

No one's forcing you to put your data anywhere you don't want it to be. I guess the only issue is that, yes, you do have to sign in to your Google account. But like I said, you can choose what that affects and what it doesn't.

From a consumer advocate point of view, I think it's very important that you have control over your data. As a consumer, I suggest you embrace cloud storage. It makes things immensely more manageable and the vast majority of security concerns are misguided.

As for the interface being slow, it depends on the device. The G1 does chug frequently, but I rarely see a "skip" with the Droid, and most users here will attest to its speed. The Nexus One looks even slicker. I'm not sure how you're searching for contacts, but there are so many ways of getting to what you need that it should never take more than a few clicks. I can give you examples if you need them. Ease of access and availability of shortcuts are not a typical problem with Android.

Pctx

Banned
otake said:
This is not meant as a troll comment, I have serious issues with these Android phones.

Recently my employer told me to go pick up a new phone. So I read up on the Android phones, mytouch, G1, etc. And I went and played with them.

I have problems with the interface being slow. Everything has a slight delay on these phones. But my real problem was the requirement of having a google account to access the phone and the requirement of syncing your address book to google in order to get your contacts on the phone. This was a deal breaker for me and raised serious concerns.

It's also slow when searching for contacts and emails.

Nexus One has a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU... slow days are gone.

As an IT manager for the college I work at, I have everything setup through Google that allows me the most flexibility to work with Exchange as well as Google. I have a separate Gmail account that has ALL the school contacts of which I sync on my phone along w/ my exchange calendar. It's not hard and pretty quick to setup. That way I can keep my personal contacts separate from work ones.

There are also apps that will IMAP connect into your exchange server (if you have that ability) and allow you to do email through the exchange server as if you had Outlook open.

Android is really beginning to push into territory that Apple has been lacking in and more and more, it seems IT people are taking notice of Android's capabilities.

I had a MyTouch 3G for 2 weeks and took it back because the damn thing was a slug. Slow to respond, slow screen transitions etc. However, now w/ Android 2.1 coming to the Nexus One and a beefy 1GHz CPU + 512MB of RAM, this thing is going to scream!

Give it another look.

otake said:
And why wouldn't they? Why not have google know everything about our business, sales, plans, etc? I don't see an issue there at all.
You started off OK, but now you're veering into craziness.

Someone will always "physically touch" your data (I'm not saying "access your data" because reputable companies prevent that), whether it's Microsoft, Novell, Google, Apple, RIM, etc. What's wrong with choosing the one that has proven itself to be a leader in data management and a strong proponent of letting users control said data?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Battersea Power Station said:
I'm not the typical example because the small company I work for uses Google Apps as our email system, so the Google connectivity is a huge plus for me.

However, you can turn off any and all Google data services, including Contacts, Gmail, Google Search, Location awareness, Web History, etc.

No one's forcing you to put your data anywhere you don't want it to be. I guess the only issue is that, yes, you do have to sign in to your Google account. But like I said, you can choose what that affects and what it doesn't.

From a consumer advocate point of view, I think it's very important that you have control over your data. As a consumer, I suggest you embrace cloud storage. It makes things immensely more manageable and the vast majority of security concerns are misguided.

As for the interface being slow, it depends on the device. The G1 does chug frequently, but I rarely see a "skip" with the Droid, and most users here will attest to its speed. The Nexus One looks even slicker. I'm not sure how you're searching for contacts, but there are so many ways of getting to what you need that it should never take more than a few clicks. I can give you examples if you need them. Ease of access and availability of shortcuts are not a typical problem with Android.

Well its not really my data. I agree with you as a consumer.

I could not figure out how to sync my address book without using google contacts. I searched to no avail.

Battersea Power Station said:
You started off OK, but now you're veering into craziness.

Someone will always "physically touch" your data (I'm not saying "access your data" because reputable companies prevent that), whether it's Microsoft, Novell, Google, Apple, RIM, etc. What's wrong with choosing the one that has proven itself to be a leader in data management and a strong proponent of letting users control said data?

I posted that kind of tongue-in-cheek. What I wrote is the company sentiment on the subject in most places.

I don't really want to discuss google in particular, though it would be a good discussion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
otake said:
And why wouldn't they? Why not have google know everything about our business, sales, plans, etc? I don't see an issue there at all.

LA doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Besides I believe Google Apps is a hosted business solution, so you have the servers but Google supplies the software... or something like that.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Ignatz Mouse said:
As I said, if they are in Exchange, you will need a third party app on the older phones. I think the newer ones do Excahnge by default.

I actually keep my contacts on the OSX Address Book application.

Pimpwerx

otake said:
I actually keep my contacts on the OSX Address Book application.
Find an app, write an app, or just do the easy thing and import your contacts to your gmail account. Sync it once with the phone, and then turn off synching. You can disable synching on any Google app that syncs automatically. They don't need to know anymore information about you than you give them. You can put your contacts in your phone and never have it sync with Google ever, if you really wanted to. I have a myTouch I don't use, so I used a throwaway account to signup the phone, and just disabled synching. PEACE.

Piano

Banned
Damn, and I just got a Droid Eris. Oh well. I wouldn't have switched to T Mobile anyways. Their reception here is pure ass.

(please come to Verizon!)

AndyD

aka andydumi
So no chance of ATT? I am stuck with them for another year. Would buy the phone myself, but I am stuck with the service. Even without the 3G, I wonder if I can just use the phone part and just use wifi at home or on the go. There's tons of hotspots paid for by ATT.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
AndyD said:
So no chance of ATT? I am stuck with them for another year. Would buy the phone myself, but I am stuck with the service. Even without the 3G, I wonder if I can just use the phone part and just use wifi at home or on the go. There's tons of hotspots paid for by ATT.

Yes, you'd be on edge.

I really want this phone, but I am afraid that the 4g iphone is going to come out in june and kick its ass. Not to mention google will release a phone that is better than the nexus one in two months probably.

Ugh. I wish specs were capped for a period of time, seeing your $500 phone suck in comparison in under a year hurts an addict like me too much.

Pctx said:
Well... well.....

Looks like I'll be getting my new phone in a week. :D

Take that shit back son now!
Thankfully, I haven't actually bought it yet. I was a few clicks away. I want a new phone, an Android one, and £25 a month seemed good for it.

Hopefully, Google will blow those plans out of the water. Nexus <3 <3

DrFunk

Byakuya769 said:
I really want this phone, but I am afraid that the 4g iphone is going to come out in june and kick its ass. Not to mention google will release a phone that is better than the nexus one in two months probably.

Ugh. I wish specs were capped for a period of time, seeing your $500 phone suck in comparison in under a year hurts an addict like me too much.

Under a year? I'd love for that to be true. It seems like cell phones become outdated in 3-6 months these days :/

Mason

$530 unlocked, $180 with T-Mobile

http://gizmodo.com/5436673/leaked-nexus-one-documents-530-unlocked-180-with-t+mobile

A tipster just sent in these Nexus One screenshots that supposedly confirms two things: that Google will sell it unlocked and unsubsidized for $530, and that Google will sell it by themselves. Plus, some other very interesting details.

Some of the most important bits of info we extracted (assuming the tipster is accurate, and it seems like he is). Oh, and take a look at our hands on with the device in case you haven't familiarized yourself with it yet.

• Yeah, it's $530 unsubsidized. Google's not going to be selling the phone at cost, like so many people considered. They're not going to save us from the "making money off of hardware" culture we've got right now, so this is basically just another Android handset, albeit a really good one
• If you want it subsidized, you'll have to sign up for a 2 year mandatory contract and pay $180 for the phone
• There's only one rate plan: $39.99 Even More + Text + Web for $79.99 total
• Existing customers cannot keep their plan if they want a subsidized phone; they have to change to the one plan, and this only applies to accounts with one single line
• If that doesn't fly with you, you have to buy the $530 unlocked version—this actually might save you money over two years if you already have a cheap plan
• Family plans, Flexpay, SmartAccess and KidConnect subscribers must buy the phone unlocked and unsubsidized for $530
• You can only buy five Nexus One phones per Google account
• There is language in the agreement of shipping outside the US
• Google will sell it at google.com/phone, which explains what they were doing with that page a few weeks ago
• Google will still call it the Nexus One apparently, and not the Google Phone

And here is a big one:
• If you cancel your plan before 120 days, you have to pay the subsidy difference between what you paid and the unsubsidized price, so $350 in this case. Or you can return the phone to Google. You also authorize them to charge this directly to your credit card.

One weirdness in the Terms of Sale that we quickly glanced through was that Google made sure you acknowledged that the manufacturer is HTC, and not Google.

So it's basically the next developer phone, except also available to the public. Like I'd expected.

The fact that they're only letting you use one specific rate plan is hilarious and ridiculous.

Ripclawe

Banned
$530 unlocked version
how about some monthly installment plan for 6 months and you got yourself a deal!

I like the tmobile plan I have now, so I would get it unsubsidized if they allow me to keep it.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Those seem like odd prices. It will probably be $500 unlocked and $200 subsidized. I'm not sure if I'll bite at the full unlocked price, and I'm not willing to be bound into a contract for two years.

SimleuqiR

• Family plans, Flexpay, SmartAccess and KidConnect subscribers must buy the phone unlocked and unsubsidized for $530

This is me right here. It's all good. I've been saving up for a good Android phone for some time now.

Edit:

In hindsight I'm a bit disappointed. Not that the phone is $530.00, but that T-mobile locked it down to one specific plan. Why couldn't someone who's looking to renew or move their phone lines to T-mobile get this phone on a family plan? I don't get it. Your are locking the whole account down for two years, and whoever buys the phone(s) from T-mobile will have to add the Data plan to each phone (that's like $30.00+/month extra).

I think I'm going to hold off a bit. I can almost see T-mobile doing some other promotion with this phone down the road...March perhaps?

This still shows me T-mobile is not ready for prime time...God I hate the US mobile industry :-/

In the US, are all the similar Android phones not free after being subsidized? Like, in the UK, I can get the Hero for free on a £25 a month contract, and that sort of price (around £30 for 24 months) will get you most Android phones free over here.

I'M HOLDING OUT HOPE THAT I CAN AFFORD A NEXUS. If they even give it a UK release.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JonathanEx said:
In the US, are all the similar Android phones not free after being subsidized? Like, in the UK, I can get the Hero for free on a £25 a month contract, and that sort of price (around £30 for 24 months) will get you most Android phones free over here.

I'M HOLDING OUT HOPE THAT I CAN AFFORD A NEXUS. If they even give it a UK release.

Smartphones are largely not free with plans in the US. The phone companies here are making serious bank.

DrFunk

Bluemercury said:
whats a bravo?

htc_2010_product_roadmap_19_htc_bra.jpg

duderon said:
So you want to pay more than $530 for a phone running an earlier version of Android?

Its coming to AT&T and there's no way in HELL that AT&T would charge me that much for it if I extend my contract another 2 years. My contract is ending in February and i'll qualify for an upgrade from my current phone.

C'mon dude, its Android...the X10 will be updated to 2.x soon enough.

DrFunk

AmICoolYet said:
Isn't the X10 like $800 unlocked without a contract?

Edit: Can it even be unlocked?

at $800+, it's already sold unlocked. With a contract, It'd be cheaper.

pxleyes

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
Its coming to AT&T and there's no way in HELL that AT&T would charge me that much for it if I extend my contract another 2 years. My contract is ending in February and i'll qualify for an upgrade from my current phone.

In that case you are just spending $1000 more over those 2 years. Have fun.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Iron_Scimitar said:

It's rumored to go to AT&T and we're talking about unlocked phones. The X10 is running Android 1.6 and people here have said that SE doesn't update their phones in a timely fashion after they're released.

Iron_Scimitar said:

It's up to Sony Ericsson whether or not you get 2.x really. And their version of android is kind of odd...

giga

$530 unlocked? Letdown if true. (espeically since that's your only option if you're on a family plan) Would have expected Google to shake things up a bit..

Xyphie

AmICoolYet said:
Isn't the X10 like $800 unlocked without a contract?

The price has been announced at 6000 SEK here in Sweden unlocked. Following the standard 1 Dollar:1 Euro:10 SEK ratio for electronics it should be closer to $600 without a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom