• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

giga said:
$530 unlocked? Letdown if true. (espeically since that's your only option if you're on a family plan) Would have expected Google to shake things up a bit..

Well, you shouldn't have let yourself be swayed by those ludicrous rumors. $530 is less than the Droid's retail price.

$179 on contract is actually cheaper than I was expecting; $350 is an unusually high subsidy for T-Mobile.

The fact that the screenshot makes it look like you can only select a single $80 plan is...suspicious.

El Papa

tokkun said:
$179 on contract is actually cheaper than I was expecting; $350 is an unusually high subsidy for T-Mobile.

The fact that the screenshot makes it look like you can only select a single $80 plan is...suspicious.
Probably why the subsidy is as high as it is, they get you with the $80 per month for 2 years.

SimleuqiR

tokkun said:
Well, you shouldn't have let yourself be swayed by those ludicrous rumors. $530 is less than the Droid's retail price.

The fact that the screenshot makes it look like you can only select a single $80 plan is...suspicious

That is what is kicking my ass. I really don't understand that. Maybe the low subsidized price is what's making T-mobile force you to chose that particular plan. I would gladly pay $350.00 for it on a Family plan.

Goddammit El Papa! Get out of my head...Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Solidifies me waiting for the X10.

alternade

So this is a major letdown guys :(

Forcing you into ONE plan, $530, Doenst work with a family plan/flexpay. I thought Google was supposed to shake things up? This just looks like business as usual. Infact it looks like the launch of the Original iPhone and :lol if Google thinks they are even close to having that kind of furor over a phone.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
alternade said:

Forcing you into ONE plan, $530, Doenst work with a family plan/flexpay. I thought Google was supposed to shake things up? This just looks like business as usual. Infact it looks like the launch of the Original iPhone and :lol if Google thinks they are even close to having that kind of furor over a phone.

There are very few smartphones that you can buy unlocked for $500. The rumors obviously got way out of hand with this phone. $180 with a 2 year contract is on par with the Droid, so I don't see how it's disappointing unless you believed the sensational rumors.

pxleyes

Banned
alternade said:

You didn't read. You are forced into one plan if you buy it subsidized. Otherwise you are free to do what you want.

FreezeSSC

BALLS! dammit im up for a new contract but im in a family plan and i dont want to have to lose my family plan if i do, that is the stupidest thing ever who came up with that idea!

pxleyes

Banned
FreezeSSC said:
BALLS! dammit im up for a new contract but im in a family plan and i dont want to have to lose my family plan if i do, that is the stupidest thing ever who came up with that idea!
Then save your dignity and buy it unsubsidized.

alternade

pxleyes said:
You didn't read. You are forced into one plan if you buy it subsidized. Otherwise you are free to do what you want.

The vast majority of people will get this on a two year subsidy that even using the that argument is moot. I have a G1 with just a data + text plan @ $30/month, and I dont need a voice package.

Granted the rumors that were going around were lofty and I doubt even Google could reasonably do some of them.

pxleyes

Banned
alternade said:
The vast majority of people will get this on a two year subsidy that even using the that argument is moot. I have a G1 with just a data + text plan @ $30/month, and I dont need a voice package.

Granted the rumors that were going around were lofty and I doubt even Google could reasonably do some of them.
You're just losing money by getting it on contract. Since T-Mobile offers non-contract plans, I don't see the point in getting a contract anymore.

STOP SELLING YOUR SOULS, PEOPLE!

alternade said:

How many mbs/messages are you getting each month on your plan?

Raistlin

alternade said:

The original iPhone cost $180? :\

Eh...I think I'm just going to ride out my Touch Pro on Sprint. I'm confident a HTC Android phone with a keyboard will show up for Sprint sooner or later.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
I'm puzzled what everyone is complaining about. The price of $530 for an unlocked phone let alone a top of the line smartphone phone is an awesome price. I'm guessing the ppl complaining have never bought unlocked phones before.

Darkman M

Poody said:
I'm puzzled what everyone is complaining about. The price of $530 for an unlocked phone let alone a top of the line smartphone phone is an awesome price. I'm guessing the ppl complaining have never bought unlocked phones before.

Basically some people had this ridiculous idea they were getting this phone unlocked for under $200 & $99 with a plan if my mind serves me right :lol

$530 seems fair for an unlocked phone of this caliber, but im happy with my Moto Droid :D

So since you have to buy this directly from Google, I won't be able to put the price of the unlocked phone on an equipment installment plan, will I? T-Mobile's Even More Plus plans are contract-free and have you pay the unsubsidized price for whichever phone you buy, but you can pay it off in an installment plan. Will T-Mobile eventually be selling this in stores too?

skybaby

So they're selling it unlocked. I wonder if the unlocked nexus won't access the whole android market just like the unlocked droid? Because no one ever mentions that before you buy unlocked, it's a nice little after-buying surprise!

Totakeke

skybaby said:
So they're selling it unlocked. I wonder if the unlocked nexus won't access the whole android market just like the unlocked droid? Because no one ever mentions that before you buy unlocked, it's a nice little after-buying surprise!

What? As far as I know, there's no such thing as a restricted market access for unlocked android phones. If true, it doesn't apply to all unlocked phones.

skybaby

Yep. I'm not sure if they deal with it case by case or if it's system wide, but back in February a Google employee said unlocked phones won't access copy protected apps

skybaby said:
Yep. I'm not sure if they deal with it case by case or if it's system wide, but back in February a Google employee said unlocked phones won't access copy protected apps
In that second thread, one of the Google dudes says:

Dontae
Google Employee
12/15/09

Hi All,

As a follow-up to Rajesh's post, rooted devices are different from unlocked devices. Rooted devices should not expect to see forward locked applications. Unlocked devices (meaning not linked to a mobile service provider) should have access to these applications. We're very much aware of issues around the Motorola Milestone and I'll be certain to share updates once they are available.

Regards,
Dontae

So it sounds like they're working towards distinguishing between unlocked phones and rooted phones. I'm sure they don't want the Nexus One to have limited Market access.

Battersea Power Station said:
In that second thread, one of the Google dudes says:

Dontae
Google Employee
12/15/09

Hi All,

As a follow-up to Rajesh's post, rooted devices are different from unlocked devices. Rooted devices should not expect to see forward locked applications. Unlocked devices (meaning not linked to a mobile service provider) should have access to these applications. We're very much aware of issues around the Motorola Milestone and I'll be certain to share updates once they are available.

Regards,
Dontae

So it sounds like they're working towards distinguishing between unlocked phones and rooted phones. I'm sure they don't want the Nexus One to have limited Market access.

Not following what's the problem with the milestone?

tokkun

Something interesting I found while reading an allegedly leaked ToS for the N1 on Engadget:

It claims that the $350 'equipment recovery fee' that is charged if you cancel your plan within the first 120 days goes to Google, and is in addition to any ETF that you have to pay to T-Mobile.

So it looks like

(1) Google is paying the subsidy for the contract version, not T-Mobile, but is getting some sort of kickback after 4 months.

(2) If T-Mobile decides to include their standard ETF even though they are not the ones subsidizing the phone, you would have to pay $600+ in penalties if you cancel your contract in the first 4 months.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DrFunk said:
guys, you better make sure you really want this

Already decided I can skip it, and just see what else comes out. Definitely at least let CES and this month of January pass and see where I'm at.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jamesfrom818 said:
Eh...I think I'm just going to ride out my Touch Pro on Sprint. I'm confident a HTC Android phone with a keyboard will show up for Sprint sooner or later.

That's 100% what I'm waiting for too. Until then I will keep my Sprint Mogul. :(

PSGames

Hmmm they shot themselves in the foot by making this exclusive to one rate plan. I'll be picking up the X10 now most likely.

Totakeke

Not sure why you guys suddenly are in favor of the X10 considering it could be very well come under the same restrictions while being even more expensive (for sure). Did I miss something else here?

SimleuqiR

DrFunk said:
guys, you better make sure you really want this

golum.jpg

Oh, me wants it!

My dilemma is not the $530.00. It's that I have two other phone lines I have to worry about (3 in total). One of them being my baby sister (who's been dying to get a new Blackberry). I was hoping to subsidize her phone and mine with a new contract.

But going with the contract free plans is not half bad. I can get a Even More Plus for Families 750 Talk + Text + Web @ $114.99/month (which is cheaper than what I'm currently paying). And I can just get her a mint Blackberry phone off eBay or something. Our circle of friends and most family members are on T-mobile, so 750 minutes is enough for all three lines.

I really don't want to buy my unsubsidized phones from T-mobile though...they charge you an arm and a leg. $399.99 for a G1? Get the fuck out of here!!! eBay is the way to go.

Pimpwerx

mckmas8808 said:
That's 100% what I'm waiting for too. Until then I will keep my Sprint Mogul. :(
You're with Sprint too? Someone said we could cancel next month due to some contract change. I'm gonna do that and re-up with them to get whatever phone crops up during the cancellation period. Something to keep in mind should that a new Android set get announced for Sprint. I don't think I can beat the price for such great coverage. PEACE.

What is the point of getting the N1 unlocked in the US? Just to use it with a different T-Mobile plan than the one listed? It still only works with EDGE on AT&T right?

DrFunk said:

Where is this image from and how likely is it that it is real? I think I might be waiting until about June to get a smartphone and I want this so badly to be real.

pxleyes

Banned
voodoojohn said:
So since you have to buy this directly from Google, I won't be able to put the price of the unlocked phone on an equipment installment plan, will I? T-Mobile's Even More Plus plans are contract-free and have you pay the unsubsidized price for whichever phone you buy, but you can pay it off in an installment plan. Will T-Mobile eventually be selling this in stores too?
Now THAT is a good question. I really want to see Tmo step up and still over their payment plan, but I don't have high hopes for that given the sale of the phone is ultimately up to Google.

Husker86

Pimpwerx said:
You're with Sprint too? Someone said we could cancel next month due to some contract change. I'm gonna do that and re-up with them to get whatever phone crops up during the cancellation period. Something to keep in mind should that a new Android set get announced for Sprint. I don't think I can beat the price for such great coverage. PEACE.

Not sure why you guys think it works that way...

If you take advantage of the Sprint administrative fee increase and cancel your contract you cannot sign up as a new customer for 6 months, you can probably turn your old account back on, but it will be the same way you left it.

The best you can do, if you want to stay with Sprint (which you do) is get a recurring credit, but they will not let you cancel and the re-sign up as a new customer.

You may think big corporations make stupid decisions, but they are not dumb, they know how people are going to try to screw them over and they block it :p

gimmmick

That's cheaper than I expected (was expecting 700 in all honestly). Not sure if I want to buy this phone, since I need a new mac before anything else.

Guess I got to see it in person too see if it is worth 530+. I really like the even more plus plan I have with tmobile, and my contract runs this Oct.

Are there any android releasing with a keyboard + snap dragon processor in 2010? What I really want is the HTC HD2 =\ (I saw the screen the other day... damn that is sexy). Though by the specs, the nexus one is indeed a better phone overal.

Chances are I'm probably going to cave in when I do experience first hand. :lol

Could the Nexus One represent a unified design for Google Android phones? Since there are so many different versions in the market, and developers must be having a harder time compared too the iphone, just makes you think and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom