• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thinking about upgrading my OPO to Lollipop. So right now my music screen looks like this

It doesn't look like this in Lollipop anymore?
The reason your lock screen look changes is because your One Plus One is running the specially made CM11S. Moving to Lollipop will be an unofficial build or an official aosp one - so it won't have One Plus One specific theming (expect the official One Plus 5.0 update to retain that swanky music screen)

I finally change that God forsaken notification panel from touchwiz. All that blue was bound to burn my eyes with that horrible colour.
dDL1c.png

Majine

Banned
I hope Google will apply its material design philosophy to its web apps. The android apps are so colorful and moving, and then you go to Google Calendar on a PC and am like "Oh. This looks ancient".

Wreav

Banned
There's a blue light that won't stop flashing on my Edge despite having no new emails, messages, etc. What is it from?

Built in marketing tool from Samsung so people will look at your phone blinking and take notice of the unique stylings of the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge™.

bms2993

Banned
You all are going to think I'm nuts but I decided to remove all the stock bloatware INCLUDING google apps off of my Galaxy S5. All Samsung apps now. Deodexed and modded APKs and I have to say, it's pretty darned battery efficent. Have been getting 6 hours+ of screen time as of late. :)

You all are going to think I'm nuts but I decided to remove all the stock bloatware INCLUDING google apps off of my Galaxy S5. All Samsung apps now. Deodexed and modded APKs and I have to say, it's pretty darned battery efficent. Have been getting 6 hours+ of screen time as of late. :)

Well there are a ton of useless Google apps but that's all subjective.

You're a fuckin' psycho

bms2993

Banned
You're a fuckin' psycho

Yeah, I expected this to be said to me. Aw well. :p Honestly with my S5 I haven't quite decided if I like my GAPPS removed. Leaning towards at least putting google frameworks and play store back onto the phone. That would be the sensible thing to do.

One must ask himself.. what is the balance between increasing speed/increasing storage space versus usability/practicality? I don't think I have reached that balance yet.

bms2993

Banned
Nah, GAPPS aren't bloat. I phrased that badly from a few comments above. If I could have it my way, I'd have a nexus and leave it stock... but I'm stuck with a regional carrier that only has the S5 as the top-tier option. No Nexus phones. Maybe I'll switch carriers someday..

At this point it would be great if Android phones could be handled like PCs. If you buy them, they come with bloatware, but you can uninstall anything you don't want or need and install any replacement if needed. I'm sure most people here wouldn't have issues with Samsung phones if that was the case.

Pachimari

Okay I really need an app which let's me block numbers from calling and messaging me. Do you guys know if there's anything like it? I'm willing to pay for the app.

Yeah, I expected this to be said to me. Aw well. :p Honestly with my S5 I haven't quite decided if I like my GAPPS removed. Leaning towards at least putting google frameworks and play store back onto the phone. That would be the sensible thing to do.

One must ask himself.. what is the balance between increasing speed/increasing storage space versus usability/practicality? I don't think I have reached that balance yet.
I was only messing with you. To search for balance, look in the Legend of Korra OT ;)

At this point it would be great if Android phones could be handled like PCs. If you buy them, they come with bloatware, but you can uninstall anything you don't want or need and install any replacement if needed. I'm sure most people here wouldn't have issues with Samsung phones if that was the case.

Ifn that includes uninstalling the entire ui back to stock android, sure.

i put my old phone in airplane mode and it gets almost a week of uptime

bms2993

Banned
So, would a launcher like NOVA be a good replacement for TouchWiz Home? What about putting on SlideLock for a lockscreen replacement? Will that negatively affect my battery? :(

Those of you with Google All Access, if I cancel my subscription and decide to come back later, will all the music I added to my library be re-added when I return, similar to how PS+ works?

thespot84

Those of you with Google All Access, if I cancel my subscription and decide to come back later, will all the music I added to my library be re-added when I return, similar to how PS+ works?

i'm pretty sure the music cloud thing (your own tracks) is a free service. I had it long before I had all access. not sure why it would get deleted

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ahh ok. I'm still waiting for CM to release their own nightlies before upgrading, but it's getting harder every day to wait.

No harm in trying it out. Just do a backup before you do. There is a lot to like. The visual upgrade alone makes it hard for me to switch back to 4.4.

I might do a complete wipe on my phone and slowly add back apps to see if that fixes some of the battery issues I am having. Today I am at 3hrs SOT, 13 hours off charger, 16% battery left. My standby time is pretty bad on Lollipop so far and no wakelock detector has given me useful info, it is usually some generic wakelock I can't tie directly to an app.

No harm in trying it out. Just do a backup before you do. There is a lot to like. The visual upgrade alone makes it hard for me to switch back to 4.4.

I might do a complete wipe on my phone and slowly add back apps to see if that fixes some of the battery issues I am having. Today I am at 3hrs SOT, 13 hours off charger, 16% battery left. My standby time is pretty bad on Lollipop so far and no wakelock detector has given me useful info, it is usually some generic wakelock I can't tie directly to an app.

Have you tried the new build from today? The 5.02 update might fix some stuff. Also are you using ak kernel?

I rooted my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using ODIN, and it said "PASS" afterwards but every root checker app I use says I'm not rooted. Anyone have any experience with this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you remove homescreens on the stock launcher (Nexus 4 on 5.0.1)?

Are we talking about the Google Experience/Now launcher (not sure if that's the default one on the N4)? In that case, yeah, it only has as many screens as you're actually using, there are no empty ones. New ones are added as you move icons over.

Are we talking about the Google Experience/Now launcher (not sure if that's the default one on the N4)? In that case, yeah, it only has as many screens as you're actually using, there are no empty ones. New ones are added as you move icons over.

Thanks, that solved it. It uses some other launcher as default. Downloaded Google Now Launcher and it works perfectly.

i'm pretty sure the music cloud thing (your own tracks) is a free service. I had it long before I had all access. not sure why it would get deleted
No, I didn't mean my own uploaded music. I already know that doesn't get removed.

Anyway, I've since found the answer I was looking for.

terrier

Yes, it will be a big leap going to a 64bit processor and the GPU will be much improved. I'd definitely wait at this point.

have iphones improved that much since they use 64bit? because i haven't seen that as a game changer, and being iOS a closed system with very few hardware variants the impact should be easier to achieve.
I have my doubts that we will see benefits of 64SOC in android anytime soon as SD410 has proved, since it seems to be on par or even a bit worse than almost 2 year old SD400.
It doubt that most apps will really be upgraded to use 64bit to increase performance at least until most devices are 64 bit, and we are still far from that.
Obviously GPU may increase performance if is better than 420 on 805.

The main improvement may be being built in 20nm that can help battery life imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How much better will the 810 be compared to the 805? Worth waiting for?

Wait if you can but don't wait if you want a phone today. It will still be a year or so after release before things happen on the software side to catch up.

Hasney

Given up trying to stop my mum getting a Dragontouch dual core tablet when she has a 2012 Nexus 7 already. Complaining about the battery, but there's so much crap on there, I bet its wakelocks and since it's 3G, still no Lollipop. save_us.volta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom