• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just realized I'm already due for my 2-year upgrade on Verizon and my old S3 is beat to hell, so I'm looking up upgrade ASAP. But I really am on a budget. The LG G3 right now is free, so that makes it mighty tempting. Should I just go with that? The very most I'm willing to spend is $100, but that's only if I can be convinced it would be significantly better than the LG G3 in some important area, like battery, camera, etc.

Just realized I'm already due for my 2-year upgrade on Verizon and my old S3 is beat to hell, so I'm looking up upgrade ASAP. But I really am on a budget. The LG G3 right now is free, so that makes it mighty tempting. Should I just go with that? The very most I'm willing to spend is $100, but that's only if I can be convinced it would be significantly better than the LG G3 in some important area, like battery, camera, etc.

LG G3 is pretty solid choice IMO

G3 is a good choice, but check out the Droid Turbo too. I think it's on sale for $99 on contract right now.

Furyous

How much better will the 810 be compared to the 805? Worth waiting for?

I expect mind blowing instabuy performance gains on 720p, 750p, and 1080p devices for S810. The S805 should add an extra two to three hours of SOT 720p/750p displays, in my opinion which could be wrong. A 750p S805/S810 z4c should have four days of battery life.

If you need a flagship tonight then buy it. If you want to wait six months for a 2014 flagship then that works as well. The z3c is calling my name but the z4c is right around the corner and comes with an increase in resolution, ram, and storage, according to rumors. I'd take a 750p at best 1080p z4c site unseen. Let me know it was announced so I can throw money at the screen.

vdlow

Just saw this, hope you can get the offer.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/4v3QfI-dtcg/

demon

Looks like I can get it for a dollar at Best Buy. Never heard of the phone though, and not seeing any threads on it. Are there any discussions on the phone here you can link to?

have iphones improved that much since they use 64bit? because i haven't seen that as a game changer, and being iOS a closed system with very few hardware variants the impact should be easier to achieve.
I have my doubts that we will see benefits of 64SOC in android anytime soon as SD410 has proved, since it seems to be on par or even a bit worse than almost 2 year old SD400.
It doubt that most apps will really be upgraded to use 64bit to increase performance at least until most devices are 64 bit, and we are still far from that.
Obviously GPU may increase performance if is better than 420 on 805.

The main improvement may be being built in 20nm that can help battery life imo.

Lollipop is the first version of Android that supports 64 bit so any device with 64bit processors that isn't running Lollipop isn't taking advantage of the processor. Also the biggest improvement will come in gaming or processor intensive apps.

Piano

Banned
A moto X with a much better battery and a much worse camera, and some hideous capacitive buttons. Not sure even the nice battery life is enough to make up for those sins.

A much worse camera? Wat? The camera in my turbo is just fine.
And the battery life is freaking incredible.

demon

Droid Turbo is sounding interesting. I don't give a shit about how the phone looks, and it sounds like it has a monster battery life. For a dollar this is looking pretty tempting. Is all the bloatware on the phone really a problem? I don't mind it as long as I can uninstall/disable most of it. Right now the biggest turnoff I can think of is the weight. The goddamn thing is heavier than my original Moto Droid which I didn't like.

How does the camera compare to the S3? I've been pretty satisfied with what I can get out of the S3's camera. I imagine it'll be a step up...

NotBacon

Droid Turbo is sounding interesting. I don't give a shit about how the phone looks, and it sounds like it has a monster battery life. For a dollar this is looking pretty tempting. Is all the bloatware on the phone really a problem? I don't mind it as long as I can uninstall/disable most of it. Right now the biggest turnoff I can think of is the weight. The goddamn thing is heavier than my original Moto Droid which I didn't like.

How does the camera compare to the S3? I've been pretty satisfied with what I can get out of the S3's camera. I imagine it'll be a step up...

It'll probably be similar to the S3 camera. The Droid line isn't exactly known for its cameras. As for bloatware it'll be way better than your S3, but you're still on Verizon, so you can expect a hefty amount of Verizon Premium Experience Enhancement Apps...

It should be better than the S3 but I can't confirm that. It's not better than the S5 or Note 4.

Gwanatu T

Are you guys fucking kidding me? Samsung makes the worst cameras on the market, with the exception of the Note 4. ANYTHING is better than the camera on the s3, s4 or s5, especially the Droid Turbo. The Turbo uses the same 20.7mp 1/2.3 sensor that the z3 and a handful of other phones use. It's not the best camera in the world thanks to Moto's software but it's a helluva lot better than almost anything Samsung has ever put out. Trust me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know. The Galaxy S3 camera was heralded as a major step up for Android cameras everywhere.

Sch1sm

Are you guys fucking kidding me? Samsung makes the worst cameras on the market, with the exception of the Note 4. ANYTHING is better than the camera on the s3, s4 or s5, especially the Droid Turbo. The Turbo uses the same 20.7mp 1/2.3 sensor that the z3 and a handful of other phones use. It's not the best camera in the world thanks to Moto's software but it's a helluva lot better than almost anything Samsung has ever put out. Trust me.

Are you joking? You must be.

demon

Jeez, I've been pretty happy with my S3 camera. I've gotten some really nice looking photos using the HDR function. Honestly as long as whatever phone I get has a camera that isn't worse in any way from the S3's I'd be happy.

kehs

Banned
Jeez, I've been pretty happy with my S3 camera. I've gotten some really nice looking photos using the HDR function. Honestly as long as whatever phone I get has a camera that isn't worse in any way from the S3's I'd be happy.

Like gwantanobi said, turbo camera is better than the S3.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think kinggroin had an S3 and he did a pretty extensive test on that camera. He's a big fan. The S3 camera might be old but it's a beast. Maybe kinggroin will chime in.

Wreav

Banned
Samsung makes the worst cameras on the market

url-17.gif

S4 and S5 were major steps up from the S3.

I think kinggroin had an S3 and he did a pretty extensive test on that camera. He's a big fan. The S3 camera might be old but it's a beast. Maybe kinggroin will chime in.

My wife has an S3. The camera is hot garbage. Like I said, literally any current phone for sale will have a better camera, even the shitty motos.

Gwanatu T

url-17.gif

S4 and S5 were major steps up from the S3.

My wife has an S3. The camera is hot garbage. Like I said, literally any current phone for sale will have a better camera, even the shitty motos.

Being steps up from hot garbage doesnt make them good. Just notable.

There weren't any good android cameras until the Note 2. About the only one I'd give to samsung. Since then, they've been outclassed in still image capture quality by many oem devices.

Edit: And AJ was joking about kinggroin. He's actually a huge fan of the iPhone 6+ and Nexus 6 cameras.

zatara

is there anyway to disable the phone and camera shortcuts on the lock screen of the nexus 6??? pain in the ass having to swipe up only

Calling Faceless. Teach this guy the truth.

bms2993

Banned
I can absolutely vouch for the Galaxy S5's camera. Samsung may not get a lot of it right with their phones, but the camera on this beauty is stunning. Live HDR is my absolute favorite feature. Of course, the only pitfall of the camera that I can tell, is how horrible photos look in low-light situations. In broad daylight, everything is just insanely beautiful. Took photos of some goats and my dog as well and they looked spectacular. Can see every detail with great color clarity.

Bare in mind, it blew my mind because the phone I upgraded from was the original Galaxy S. :)

demon

A dollar for the Turbo? Fucking get that shit.

I think unless I go to the store and try it and decide it's just too heavy, in which case I'd go with the G3 (also free), I'll just get the Turbo.

Recommendations on which back cover to get? I don't really care how it looks, I want whatever is more durable or has better grip.

So Google has made me not want to purchase another product from them. I bought a Chromecast from Amazon on the 7th of this month, which makes me eligible for a $20 play credit promotion from Google that ended yesterday. It's been two weeks and still no credit. I've called support multiple times, and on the last attempt at getting this resolved, I was bumped up to priority support. Still nothing after several days. A bunch of BS.

Now, I'm not so pissed that I'm going to return the Chromecast. It really is a great little device, and definitely the easiest way to stream shit to my TV. It's worth the $32 I paid for it, but I'd be lying if I said the promo didn't play a part in my purchase.

This plus the constant issues they seem to always have with the launch of a new Nexus makes me not even want to bother with buying anything other than software/media/etc. from Google.

So how do you claim the credit? I bought a Chromecast earlier this month too.
You're supposed to go to chromecast.com/offers on a pc, and follow the instructions there. It also gives you instructions on how to do it on mobile (basically through using the chromecast app).

I've just looked at the site and apparently they've extended the offer to the 31st now, up from the 21st.

vdlow

I think unless I go to the store and try it and decide it's just too heavy, in which case I'd go with the G3 (also free), I'll just get the Turbo.

Recommendations on which back cover to get? I don't really care how it looks, I want whatever is more durable or has better grip.

I have the ballistic nylon one and it's really awesome, I love the feel. But I've never saw the other back cover so I can't really say which is the better one. =(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You're supposed to go to chromecast.com/offers on a pc, and follow the instructions there. It also gives you instructions on how to do it on mobile (basically through using the chromecast app).

I've just looked at the site and apparently they've extended the offer to the 31st now, up from the 21st.

Hmm, I see other offers, but not the credit. Does that mean i have to harass them? May not be worth my time if you say it hasn't made a difference for you.

Get the ballistic nylon. Plus BB has it in blue!

HTC M9 rumoured for march:

Demension: 144.3 x 69.4 x 9.56 mm

Snapdragon 810 2.0GHz Quad-core + 1.5GHz Quad-core

3GB RAM

5″ FHD Display

Supports VoLTE(Voice Over LTE), Carrier Aggrication(Malaysian/Indian model doesn’t support this), LTE Category 6

20.7MP Main Camera

13MP or 4MP UltraPixel Front Camera

2840mAh Battery

Android 5.0

Sense 7.0

Color: Gray, Silver, Gold, Gunmetal Gold

Launch; March 2015

Those dimensions are way too big for a 5 inch phone. smh htc. They triple bezel'd it didn't they.

RJM77

So Google has made me not want to purchase another product from them. I bought a Chromecast from Amazon on the 7th of this month, which makes me eligible for a $20 play credit promotion from Google that ended yesterday. It's been two weeks and still no credit. I've called support multiple times, and on the last attempt at getting this resolved, I was bumped up to priority support. Still nothing after several days. A bunch of BS.

Now, I'm not so pissed that I'm going to return the Chromecast. It really is a great little device, and definitely the easiest way to stream shit to my TV. It's worth the $32 I paid for it, but I'd be lying if I said the promo didn't play a part in my purchase.

This plus the constant issues they seem to always have with the launch of a new Nexus makes me not even want to bother with buying anything other than software/media/etc. from Google.

Google Play credit vouchers for items I purchased from Amazon came from Amazon. Credit vouchers for items purchased from Google Play came from Google. Did you ask Amazon about the credit?

meow

Most likely it's a router problem (my older router refused to do specific things on specific devices for no reason) but it might be a phone problem. If it works with cell data that'd sound like a router or ISP issue tbh, especially with how you said it works on other wi-fi networks.

A little late, but thanks for the reply. Is there anything I can do about it? Seems like it's an issue with Comcast maybe, I'm home for the holidays and I can't get a connection again. I also have Comcast at my apartment at school.

I hate big phones too, but it is so hard to get a small phone nowadays. I cannot stay with the same phone for a long time.
I know :(

For this upcoming year I'm going to get whatever the smallest high end stock/moto stock is. I'm just hoping it's not huge. But if they're all big well I guess I'm getting a big phone.

Also who wants to sell me their nexus 9.

Hmm, I see other offers, but not the credit. Does that mean i have to harass them? May not be worth my time if you say it hasn't made a difference for you.
If you purchased your Chromecast before Dec. 7, you're not eligible for the credit, from what I understand. Though I purchased mine on the 7th and it's still not showing for me either.

Google Play credit vouchers for items I purchased from Amazon came from Amazon. Credit vouchers for items purchased from Google Play came from Google. Did you ask Amazon about the credit?
This one is apparently handled through Google this time because it's supposed to be redeemed through the Chromecast offers site, though some retailers like Best Buy apparently give you a code.

I've called Amazon as well, but they offered me $20 in Amazon store credit, which I'll most likely call back and take them up on if I'm also still able to get the Google Play credit.

Fbh

Ok guys so I have a question and I hope someone can help me.

I seem to be missing a lot of storage on my Moto G.

So according to my PC (and device) the total storage space on the device is 12,9 GB out of which I've used 10,5 gb.

xPkIKpF.jpg

Yet if I connect the device and check all the content I can access from my PC (Including videos, pics, games, music, etc) it only shows that I'm using 2,27 GB

YWU3txB.jpg

So where the hell are those extra 10gb I'm supposedly using ?

EDIT:

Here is a screenshot from the "storage" option on my phone (sorry about it being in spanish) :

So
"User Storage": 12,9 GB
"Available Space": 2.40 GB
"Every other category combined": Around 6,2 GB

I should have around 6,7 GB of free storage. Yet I only have 2,4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom