• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't heard a convincing argument why ditching the 3.5 mm port is a good thing.

it's a good thing for content providers due to them adding NDCP to stop 3.5mm audio piracy.

it a good thing for manufacturers as they will save money on parts while keeping the sale price the same.

it's a good thing for retailers as they will have a new market for newer, more expensive accessories with a higher profit margin.

it's a good thing for content providers due to them adding NDCP to stop 3.5mm audio piracy.

it a good thing for manufacturers as they will save money on parts while keeping the sale price the same.

it's a good thing for retailers as they will have a new market for newer, more expensive accessories with a higher profit margin.

Yeah, I get that all. But what about the consu... Oh.

Audio quality potentially, passing data from sensors in headphones such as heart rate monitoring back to a phone.

"Potentially", maybe. Probably not. Who knows.

The thing is, if you want to do that, you already can. There are already wireless headphones out there, on the store shelves. Even designing an entirely new wireless protocol around it is possible. That still doesn't require the headphone jack to be removed.

So, why is this a good thing for the consumer?

Audio quality potentially, passing data from sensors in headphones such as heart rate monitoring back to a phone.

but that doesn't have anything to do with removing the 3.5mm port.

that stuff can be done even if a 3.5mm jack is included also.

in fact, some of that stuff is already possible with Micro-B since ICS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got my LG G3 update to Marshmallow today..

The road continues as I try and see just how long I can keep this phone.

I got no general usage complaints, and I can play Hearthstone with Mr Kill the Headphone Jack. So I'm happy.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Guys, I'm currently on a Lumia 520, which has become a slog and the battery doesn't last at all.

I have about a 300€ budget, and I was thining about either the Nexus 5x (I can get it for 300€ for the next few days) or the Moto X Play for 280 pretty much.

I don't care about gaming and that kind of stuff, I just want a phone that wont become a slog after 2 years possibly, and a good battery.

I know the X Play as a better battery, but which one would you suggest?

Noema

Guys, I'm currently on a Lumia 520, which has become a slog and the battery doesn't last at all.

I have about a 300€ budget, and I was thining about either the Nexus 5x (I can get it for 300€ for the next few days) or the Moto X Play for 280 pretty much.

I don't care about gaming and that kind of stuff, I just want a phone that wont become a slog after 2 years possibly, and a good battery.

I know the X Play as a better battery, but which one would you suggest?

The only thing the Moto X play has going for it is the battery and microSD support. For only €20 more I'd get the 5x, no question about it. The 5x has a faster soc, better camera, and it's a Nexus which I find important since you'll get a couple of years of prompt updates out of it.

In other news Pocket just released an update which supposedly fixes the battery drain issue. Let's see.

EDIT: Seems to be fixed so far.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still haven't heard a convincing argument why ditching the 3.5 mm port is a good thing.
We'll finally be encouraged to use wireless. It's been ignored. Bluetooth is bad and 3.5mm is easy. We could make a new wireless now, sure, but sometimes you have to drag people into the future. "Good enough" seemed to be the case with wireless. I'm betting that will change with 3.5mm dead. Finally.

Fenix for Twitter is back on the play store, they reached some sort of agreement with Twitter apparently.
This is super interesting.

We'll finally be encouraged to use wireless. It's been ignored. Bluetooth is bad and 3.5mm is easy. We could make a new wireless now, sure, but sometimes you have to drag people into the future. "Good enough" seemed to be the case with wireless. I'm betting that will change with 3.5mm dead. Finally.

Like I said, you can still do that without removing the port. Not to mention that manufacturers will just fall back to Bluetooth, because it's easy and cheap for them. Also, yet another shitty thing you have to charge. Wireless will also use up more battery on the phone itself.

Again, only drawbacks for consumers with zero benefits so far.

Mazre

So my Nexus 5 appears to have died sometime during the work day today. Unable to get it to power on (working my way through google's troubleshooting at the moment). I had been hoping to upgrade to this years new nexus model when they drop, but will obviously need a phone to fill the gap between now and then.

I'm willing to give up most of my apps etc between now and then so really all I need is voice/text/email/web/maps that'll run on Tmobile. Any recommendations for phones that can be had in the ~$100 or less range running android that'll fit the bill?

Edit: On second thought I'm probably just better off biting the bullet and grabbing a 5X with the Fi deal.

Toki767

Fenix for Twitter is back on the play store, they reached some sort of agreement with Twitter apparently.

Yeah, I wonder if they increased their token limit or if they got rid of it altogether, maybe by giving Twitter part of each sale? The price seemed to increase too.

clav

Like I said, you can still do that without removing the port. Not to mention that manufacturers will just fall back to Bluetooth, because it's easy and cheap for them. Also, yet another shitty thing you have to charge. Wireless will also use up more battery on the phone itself.

Watch people complain about their 2.4 GHz wifi Internet collapse on them once these phones start rolling out.

Wifi congestion is already very bad.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No one would use it if the port were still there. It's forcing a better future. It's like asking why remove flash entirely when we can keep both, then switch when the new standard is better. No one would switch.

Can't wait. Consumers are always whining about short term drawbacks. Again, like flash.

clav

I remember using special miniUSB headphones on a HTC Touch Diamond.

I can't believe this is a feature coming back and people are arguing pros about it when it was an inconvenience.

My upgrade to a new smartphone that had a 3.5 mm jack made me happy as I no longer had to search for that special pair of headphones whenever I wanted to listen to music quietly. I can also listen and charge at the same time.

I could use bluetooth headphones, but those are a pain as they usually have irreplaceable batteries. You also have to remember to charge them.

No Love

Banned
Lol this is a total joke. MicroUSB ports can't even last a decent amount of time with chargers being plugged in, how fast are they going to break with headphones being jammed in or out? Or when your phone pulls on your headphones?

longdi

Banned
No one would use it if the port were still there. It's forcing a better future. It's like asking why remove flash entirely when we can keep both, then switch when the new standard is better. No one would switch.

Can't wait. Consumers are always whining about short term drawbacks. Again, like flash.

Yea the Apple comeback story is like the best ever since we humans started harnessing the power of sand and logic. Apple is not daft to throw all that and all of us under the bus over some illogical battle of jacks.

Their end goal will be high quality wireless everything. Things will get worse before they get better. In 5 years time, we see clearly why Apple did what they have to do.

Zoe

Something keeps making a notification sound on my phone, either an app or something motion activated. Is there any way to figure out what's causing it to fire?

Edit: it's definitely something motion related, when I bring the phone down

Quasar

Lol this is a total joke. MicroUSB ports can't even last a decent amount of time with chargers being plugged in, how fast are they going to break with headphones being jammed in or out? Or when your phone pulls on your headphones?

What are you doing to your phones?

Quasar

Yea the Apple comeback story is like the best ever since we humans started harnessing the power of sand and logic. Apple is not daft to throw all that and all of us under the bus over some illogical battle of jacks.

Their end goal will be high quality wireless everything. Things will get worse before they get better. In 5 years time, we see clearly why Apple did what they have to do.

Certainly for Apple I'm surprised they dont make their own wireless format. Hell make a portless phone. Their own wireless standard for headphones and inductive charging.

Bboy AJ

interesting...interesting. Still waiting on that google made line of nexus phones.
I don't see much changing, I guess. Nexus phones have not been disappointing, other than the S and 6.

Bboy AJ

lol you know those are the worst, your trolling has gone TOO FAR.
How? Did you read my post in the inverse? Heh

Never had a Galaxy Nexus? 6 is miles ahead of the galaxy Nexus
I did and it was fine relative to phones of the time. It just got outdated fast. 6 was bad because of its price. Good phone, otherwise.

Except that flash didn't disappear overnight and there was a transition period. And the only pro you can cite is some hypothetically better audio quality? You don't even know if that's even going to happen. There's no standard that's significantly better and ready in place to replace the headphone jack. With Flash we at least had H.264 for videos ready to go. What's the equivalent for audio on phones?

But there's always the year after that. Still, funny to see the headline on Ars

Goodbye, Nexus 9—you will not be missed
The worst Nexus device is no longer for sale on the Google Store.
Yeah, "wait for 20XX", "year or the Google made Nexus". ;]

At this point, i'm just keen on getting some juicy rumors about this years devices, as i really want to retire my good old N5 2013.

rakhir

Hey, guys. My provider got me a deal and I can buy from them the LG G4 or Galaxy S6. S6 would cost me 3x more, but it would still be manageable.
I don't know what to do now, they both look good on paper.

I have the HTC One M7 right now, and use it all the time, four hours to and from work, and while at work I listen to music on it or watch YouTube.

What would you suggest?

Noema

Hey, guys. My provider got me a deal and I can buy from them the LG G4 or Galaxy S6. S6 would cost me 3x more, but it would still be manageable.
I don't know what to do now, they both look good on paper.

I have the HTC One M7 right now, and use it all the time, four hours to and from work, and while at work I listen to music on it or watch YouTube.

What would you suggest?

The S6 is better than the G4 but not 3x better.

I'd get the G4 simply because of the replaceable battery. The S6 has abysmal battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom