• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Except that flash didn't disappear overnight and there was a transition period. And the only pro you can cite is some hypothetically better audio quality? You don't even know if that's even going to happen. There's no standard that's significantly better and ready in place to replace the headphone jack. With Flash we at least had H.264 for videos ready to go. What's the equivalent for audio on phones?
Don't worry, man. You can join my bandwagon when everyone else does. Right now, I'm here planting my flag. We all will know who the messiah is when the time comes.

Bluetooth is crap and has been crap for like over a decade. There will be a better wireless audio standard. It isn't hard. It's just been neglected.

Hasney

I'm totally fine with a new wireless standard. Probably won't buy a phone that ditches the headphone port for USB-C though. I'd like to charge my phone and use music on a long trip.
whats the hot new tablet on the horizon?

Nothing, not even a peep. Android tablets aren't a big market.

There maybe a Pixel C successor, but who knows if that's this year or in the future.

Mindwipe

Don't worry, man. You can join my bandwagon when everyone else does. Right now, I'm here planting my flag. We all will know who the messiah is when the time comes.

Bluetooth is crap and has been crap for like over a decade. There will be a better wireless audio standard. It isn't hard. It's just been neglected.

That it's not hard doesn't mean there will be one.

It would be easy to make a cross platform open messaging standard (indeed, there is one!). Ecosystem politics means nobody uses it.

It would be easy to make a cross platform wifi file transfer protocol (indeed, there are dozens!). Ecosystem politics means everyone uses proprietary solutions.

It would be easy to make a cross platform video chat protocol (indeed, Apple even announced one!). Ecosystem politics means everyone uses proprietary solutions.

If the protocol isn't to all intents and purposes royalty free and completely cross platform then it won't be better. It would be worse. The prospects of a royalty free and cross platform better wireless audio standard are zero.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That it's not hard doesn't mean there will be one.

It would be easy to make a cross platform open messaging standard (indeed, there is one!). Ecosystem politics means nobody uses it.

It would be easy to make a cross platform wifi file transfer protocol (indeed, there are dozens!). Ecosystem politics means everyone uses proprietary solutions.

It would be easy to make a cross platform video chat protocol (indeed, Apple even announced one!). Ecosystem politics means everyone uses proprietary solutions.

If the protocol isn't to all intents and purposes royalty free and completely cross platform then it won't be better. It would be worse. The prospects of a royalty free and cross platform better wireless audio standard are zero.
Like USB C? The port Apple invented? Or Webkit? The rendering engine Apple invented? Or did ecosystem politics get in the way there, too?

Maybe Apple will make a proprietary wireless standard. Who knows. But their attention to it will bring about real competition instead of this shit Bluetooth we've been stuck with. Apple Watch relies on BT, too, and it's a huge issue. They know it. There will be something better soon.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bluetooth doesn't have nearly the issues you pretend it does, AJ.

I'm not gonna say the sound quality is perfect. It's not audio engineer level.

Yet I use that shit everyday in my car. Zero issues. Makes me wonder just wtf you people are doing. It just works for me whether in my car or using BT headphones or speakers.

Hasney

I love Bluetooth headphones, don't get me wrong. I'm just up for it getting better both in audio quality and power draw. I don't think they're there yet on the latter even with 4.0.

Jigolo

So my N5 is deciding to just randomly reboot now. Anyone have a cheap device they want to sell?

Otherwise I think I'll just get a Nexus 5X to hold me through until later this year. How does the Fi shit work?

rakhir

The S6 is better than the G4 but not 3x better.

I'd get the G4 simply because of the replaceable battery. The S6 has abysmal battery life.
Well, this phone would have to last for the next two years, so I guess the battery replacement would be nice.
I really don't want to pay too much, but the S6 is so much better looking...

So my N5 is deciding to just randomly reboot now. Anyone have a cheap device they want to sell?

Otherwise I think I'll just get a Nexus 5X to hold me through until later this year. How does the Fi shit work?

I can sell you an unlocked 2013 Moto X for 80 bucks plus ship if you are in the US.

If i were you I would jump on the Nexus 5x FI deal since there is only a week left. Ask away if you have Fi questions. Its basically mvno prices but with the carrier speeds, latency, features and more.

Well, this phone would have to last for the next two years, so I guess the battery replacement would be nice.
I really don't want to pay too much, but the S6 is so much better looking...

Eww, dont buy either. Both have awful battery life.

Vanillalite

I'm not saying the G4 has great battery life, but I think awful is a term thrown around too often with regards to battery life.

rakhir

My current One M7 already has terrible battery problems, I drain half of it on my way to work. It won't be as bad as this with G4 or S6, right?

Apart from the battery, are they any big differences between them?

Vanillalite

My current One M7 already has terrible battery problems, I drain half of it on my way to work. It won't be as bad as this with G4 or S6, right?

Apart from the battery, are they any big differences between them?

How long is your way to work though, and what exactly are you doing?

Like USB C? The port Apple invented? Or Webkit? The rendering engine Apple invented? Or did ecosystem politics get in the way there, too?

Maybe Apple will make a proprietary wireless standard. Who knows. But their attention to it will bring about real competition instead of this shit Bluetooth we've been stuck with. Apple Watch relies on BT, too, and it's a huge issue. They know it. There will be something better soon.
More than Apple contributed to the development of those two things, as far as I remember; especially the former.

Honestly, bruh, you're sounding a bit delusional.

rakhir

How long is your way to work though, and what exactly are you doing?
It's a two hour trip on buses and trains. I'm usually on the net, playing marvel's puzzle quest, or watching a movie. I've played that game for an hour today and it dipped to around 40% before I've got to work.

Caleb187

Is it a constant reboot loop? If so, same happened to my Nexus 5. Turned out to be a stuck internal power button. Fixed it by taking apart the phone and using some rubbing alcohol and a qtip to clean out the gunk in the internal button mechanism. Google Nexus 5 reboot loop for instruction videos, you might be able to save it.

daoster

Wow, my regional but not so regional credit union just added Android Pay. That was surprising.

Too bad I'm on N preview.

Banks are still being added to Android Pay? Surprised, because Google has been quiet as fuck about it.

Still waiting for Charles Schwab and Chase to be added.

Jigolo

Is it a constant reboot loop? If so, same happened to my Nexus 5. Turned out to be a stuck internal power button. Fixed it by taking apart the phone and using some rubbing alcohol and a qtip to clean out the gunk in the internal button mechanism. Google Nexus 5 reboot loop for instruction videos, you might be able to save it.

Not a bootloop but just randomly when I hit the power button, so I think I've pinned it down to that. I'll press the button to lock the device than the "power off" prompt comes up, so yeah the power button is likely the issue. Definitely deciding to keep it. Still runs like a champ.

Anyone have experience reading comics on a Nexus 7? The Marvel Unlimited thread over in regular Off Topic got me thinking that maybe I want to start reading comics.

Is the Nexus 7 too small?

My OnePlus One updated to Android and now my alarm app doesn't work, seems doze is an issue? Anyone know how to get them to work or which apps have been updated properly?

kami_sama

My OnePlus One updated to Android and now my alarm app doesn't work, seems doze is an issue? Anyone know how to get them to work or which apps have been updated properly?

Go to the battery Settings. In the tree dot menu choose the second option and search for the clock app in the "All apps" menu.

but Type C, Lightning, Webkit and ... i dunno what Apple's rendering engine is called are all juast as the post you quoted described. it's especially ironic that you mention Type C and Lightning when they pseudo-compete directly against each other.

Talon

Only 49 days since launch, and we already got S7 hit $570.

Android is the worst platform for early adopters.

Although, I guess at least 2 of the US carriers were doing BOGO from launch.

I'm not gonna say the sound quality is perfect. It's not audio engineer level.

Yet I use that shit everyday in my car. Zero issues. Makes me wonder just wtf you people are doing. It just works for me whether in my car or using BT headphones or speakers.

BT is great in my car.

i don't have to remember to charge my car every day though...

this_guy

Only 49 days since launch, and we already got S7 hit $570.

Android is the worst platform for early adopters.

Although, I guess at least 2 of the US carriers were doing BOGO from launch.

Windows Phone loses value even faster. The LG G5 and HTC 10 will probably both be available a couple hundred dollars cheaper in a few months. Then it's time to buy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Speaking of the Pixel C, would you suggest that over an iPad? I've been using an iPad 2 for a few years now. I want to upgrade, but I don't know if I should go with the Pixel C or an iPad Air 2.

Bboy AJ

More than Apple contributed to the development of those two things, as far as I remember; especially the former.

Honestly, bruh, you're sounding a bit delusional.
Apple led both substantially.

Let's just see where we are a year from the iPhone no 3.5 mm launch.

Quasar

but Type C, Lightning, Webkit and ... i dunno what Apple's rendering engine is called are all juast as the post you quoted described. it's especially ironic that you mention Type C and Lightning when they pseudo-compete directly against each other.

Webkit...that renderer started by kde when it was called khtml?

As for usb-c...well they played a role, but its pretty fair to say its not an apple design. http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/14/apple-invent-usb-type-c/

JoeFu

Banned
What's consensus on SD820? As much as I love my 6p I feel the throttling a bit too much when playing anything on my phone. Wanting to upgrade already.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom