• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Based on the reviews, this forum had the hot takes of S8 months ago. I stopped reading phone reviews years ago. A phone is either good, mediocre, or bad. There's no need to go into big detail unless you're deciding between models. For enthusiasts, I'm not sure what to expect except the obvious hot takes we can predict months in advance.

S8 is a good phone and a good purchase if you need a phone now. S7 owners who bought on launch, has your phone degraded in performance yet?

I don't blame Samsung for doing Bixby. You shouldn't rely on Google for anything. Assistant is cool but not good.

Augmented reality will be a big deal very soon. I'm calling it like I called the 3.5 aux jack removal years in advance.
Well of course, but they got to let someone else do it first then come and say they did it first and best later

New play store feature of showing how long ago the app updated I likes

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Based on the reviews, this forum had the hot takes of S8 months ago. I stopped reading phone reviews years ago. A phone is either good, mediocre, or bad. There's no need to go into big detail unless you're deciding between models. For enthusiasts, I'm not sure what to expect except the obvious hot takes we can predict months in advance.

S8 is a good phone and a good purchase if you need a phone now. S7 owners who bought on launch, has your phone degraded in performance yet?

I don't blame Samsung for doing Bixby. You shouldn't rely on Google for anything. Assistant is cool but not good.

Augmented reality will be a big deal very soon. I'm calling it like I called the 3.5 aux jack removal years in advance.

That's the thing. I like your good ok bad scenario except for pricing. Like phones can be good values. Like the Moto G or Honor 8 can be good for it's price range.

Yet I wouldn't say spend $800 on the Honor.

Any future phone that has a bigger bezel than the S8 is a total failure IMO.

Samsung set a new standard, everyone needs to either catch up or hit the drawing board again.

Jeffrey

It's gonna be so weird having the iPhone SE and S8+ in the same pocket. Gonna be like Shaq and his midget wife 😂
Hope you slap a case on then lol. Might get scratches!

Samsung set a new standard, everyone needs to either catch up or hit the drawing board again.

At least for flagship phones. I can excuse $500 and cheaper to have bezels, but if you are going $700+... Yeah bezels over thumb size is a no go.

Laekon

I feel this way about how it looks but not use from my limited time with demo units. More refinement is needed for the use of the screen size/ratio but most of those refinements already exist on other phones. A better located finger print sensor on the back that supports gestures (swipe down for notification access) would make the S8 an even better phone.

Exyno S7's refuse to drop to $400 in the US so I'm keeping on with my 5X. If only the P9 camera was better in indoor/low light.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's the thing. I like your good ok bad scenario except for pricing. Like phones can be good values. Like the Moto G or Honor 8 can be good for it's price range.

Yet I wouldn't say spend $800 on the Honor.

At least for flagship phones. I can excuse $500 and cheaper to have bezels, but if you are going $700+... Yeah bezels over thumb size is a no go.

Going to be some interesting reactions/reviews when Apple releases the iPhone 7s+ with big bezels for $770 and the iPhone 8 for $900/$1000.

Going to be even more hilarious reactions if Pixel 2 copies that iPhone pricing as well

Galaxy S8 is $750 right now. Anything priced higher is a hard sell

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's gonna be so weird having the iPhone SE and S8+ in the same pocket. Gonna be like Shaq and his midget wife 😂
How awesome is the SE, man! Looking forward to hearing your comparisons.

IronRaven

You guys know how I'm now a firm believer in NFC mobile payments now? Yesterday, I had to figuratively eat my words.

Yesterday morning, I was raving about how it's the future to my friends on a group chat. Later that day, a friend on mine from the chat invite me out to eat lunch. We went to this plaza that had a lot of different restaurants and we picked one. We went and noticed on the sign that it said "Cash only. Our credit card system is down". We discover that the entire area (in about a one mile radius) doesn't have internet because a Comcast box stopped working. My friend proceeded​ to make fun of me for my words from that morning. He's one of those types who is slow to accept new technology for the most part. Doesn't believe in fingerprint readers, NFC payments (even though he uses those NFC cards for Japanese arcade games), and doesn't want digital downloads for games to be a thing/prefers physical copies. He's getting better about the last one though I will admit.

Anyway, I felt like an idiot for boasting about mobile payments that morning.

Jeffrey

You guys know how I'm now a firm believer in NFC mobile payments now? Yesterday, I had to figuratively eat my words.

Yesterday morning, I was raving about how it's the future to my friends on a group chat. Later that day, a friend on mine from the chat invite me out to eat lunch. We went to this plaza that had a lot of different restaurants and we picked one. We went and noticed on the sign that it said "Cash only. Our credit card system is down". We discover that the entire area (in about a one mile radius) doesn't have internet because a Comcast box stopped working. My friend proceeded​ to make fun of me for my words from that morning. He's one of those types who is slow to accept new technology for the most part. Doesn't believe in fingerprint readers, NFC payments (even though he uses those NFC cards for Japanese arcade games), and doesn't want digital downloads for games to be a thing/prefers physical copies. He's getting better about the last one though I will admit.

Always good to have cash, especially if you live in the US. Future is great but not everything accepts it yet.

Quasar

As insane as his opinion is on 3.5mm jacks, he did predict it.

Its pretty easy to predict given Apples minimalism fetish.

I'm surprised Apple seems to be backing down with the vapourware MacPro.

Meanwhile Samsung and others keep advancing without dropping it.

Quasar

Always good to have cash, especially if you live in the US. Future is great but not everything accepts it yet.

Yeah. I sill need cash in a few places here in Australia. Some small retailers are cash only for instance, and I need cash for the farmers markets.

I'm surprised Apple seems to be backing down with the vapourware MacPro.

Meanwhile Samsung and others keep advancing without dropping it.

The Mac Pro is actually for people who do actual work on their machines. Let's see if Apple learned any lessons from their gutting of the MacBook Pro to turn it into a toy like the Air.

Finished helping my mom set up her S8. Maaan, I really want one now. That friggin display. That build quality. Good shit, Samsung. Even the 3D touch home button is a lot better executed than I expected. And it feels so much smaller in the hand than I was expecting. I'd definitely go with the S8+.

Quasar

The Mac Pro is actually for people who do actual work on their machines. Let's see if Apple learned any lessons from their gutting of the MacBook Pro to turn it into a toy like the Air.

Unlike the last stupid Mac Pro. I could see from a mile off it was Mac Cube 2.0.

I don't know why they don't just bring back the pre-trashcan Mac Pro back. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why My New Professional War Camera Is a Cheap Chinese iPhone Knockoff
Outside said:
A legendary war photographer now leaves his Leicas at home...

The Huawei (pronounced “wow-why”) P10 is an unlocked, high-performance, multiband smartphone. Huawei is an unabashed producer of knockoff phones, which I discovered when I lost my iPhone 7 Plus while connecting in Bangkok. At BKK, this Android-based knockoff costs about $400 less than its Apple competitor, so I picked one up.

The P10 unseats Apple’s photo-quality dominance. It has a similar two-lens setup as the iPhone 7 Plus, but a 20-megapixel monochrome sensor augments the same 12MP color sensor used by the iPhone. This phone also has a host of features that make it ideal for the international traveler...

If you’re shooting video, you can use the phone straight out of the box. But I’d suggest downloading some pro video-control software like Filmic Pro, which will double your quality to 50 Mbps...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lmao such revisionist history. Now it's blindingly obvious but when I called for it, it was certain doom and buffoonery for any company. Whatever.

That's not a good reason for feeling dumb. Of course not everywhere will accept it. It happens. It still doesn't change NFC payments certainly being the new payment method. Some places won't take credit cards and some places have their credit card machines go down. Sometimes GPS batteries die and you need a paper and pen map. Meh.

Quasar

Lmao such revisionist history. Now it's blindingly obvious but when I called for it, it was certain doom and buffoonery for any company. Whatever.

Well its not just the headphone jack, its Apples going down to one port on their laptops too. Hardly surprising givens Apples fetish. I expect apple would have no ports of they could.

I'm just surprised Apple used shitty bluetooth, rather than making their own wireless spec that worked much better for headphone audio. Especially with owning beats.

Quasar

It's the two social media accounts bit that confuses me. Like how is that a crazy feature

I was going to say its related to how iOS stores social media account logons, but now at least you can store multiple accounts in iOS (at least on the iPad). So the multiple social media accounts comment was weird.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android tablet land sucks ass.

That new cheap iPad the business.

The Tab S3 is baller, but Samsung wants fucking $600 for the fucking thing.

There are a shit ton of phone options in Android land while the tablet side is a wasteland.

reKon

Banned
Android tablet land sucks ass.

That new cheap iPad the business.

The Tab S3 is baller, but Samsung wants fucking $600 for the fucking thing.

There are a shit ton of phone options in Android land while the tablet side is a wasteland.

Gotta wait til summmerrrr.

I'm sure it will drop to $450 or so if it has shitty sales.

reKon

Banned
Why does Sony suck ass with their phones now?

I'm still trying to help my co-worker with choosing phone and not only does their most recently line up not have finger print scanners, but I've just discovered that they removed the waterproofing on everything other than the Xperia X Performance. GSMArena battery test results are all significantly worse than the Z3 and Z5 line. Most of the phones don't use high end processors. They don't have the best cameras when in theory they should be up there. Why did everything go backwards in their line up?

What the fuck are they doing? This just looks so bad compared to the alternatives.

Quasar

I'm still trying to help my co-worker with choosing phone and not only does their most recently line up not have finger print scanners, but I've just discovered that they removed the waterproofing on everything other than the Xperia X Performance. GSMArena battery test results are all significantly worse than the Z3 and Z5 line. Most of the phones don't use high end processors. They don't have the best cameras when in theory they should be up there. Why did everything go backwards in their line up?

What the fuck are they doing? This just looks so bad compared to the alternatives.

I assume part of its the wider financial issues. Same reason the PS4 was not bleeding edge like the PS3.

But yeah...they should always have the best cameras, and yet they never do.

kaiyo

??

The Xperia XZ line and X Compact has fingerprint (disabled in the US, you can easily flash international firmware to enable it). And they are water resistant. The X compact is water resistant but just isnt advertised. The XZ uses lastest (released) snapdragon. X Compact is a mid ranger so it uses a SD 650 but it is still super snappy.

reKon

Banned
??

The Xperia XZ line and X Compact has fingerprint (disabled in the US, you can easily flash international firmware to enable it). And they are water resistant. The X compact is water resistant but just isnt advertised. The XZ uses lastest (released) snapdragon. X Compact is a mid ranger so it uses a SD 650 but it is still super snappy.

Well, this phone isn't for me, it's for a co-worker. I don't care how easy it is to flash - I don't think he wants to deal with any of that. He does want stock android and Sony brings the most close experience to that. The Pixel is the perfect phone for him, but it's never in stock and he doesn't want to wait that much longer.

That's good that it's water resistant, but a much of reviews I looked at went out of their way to specifically say that it's not.
i.e. Tech reviewers being useless??

It also has to be a compact, decently spec'd phone, which makes this harder to recommend Sony phones. The Xperia Z3 Compact that I used to own easily a better phone than the shit that's out now. I'm pretty sure that's on Nougat too.

It's not water resistant. If it was, it would be mentioned. Some schmuck dumped I in water and it came out working so it's water resistant!

Small phones are dinosaurs. Tell him to give it up. He should just go grab a OP3T at this point.

reKon

Banned
It's not water resistant. If it was, it would be mentioned. Some schmuck dumped I in water and it came out working so it's water resistant!

Small phones are dinosaurs. Tell him to give it up. He should just go grab a OP3T at this point.

Yeah, after doing the research, it's clearly a top-tier bang for buck phone. It's not oversized for it's screen size too unlike Moto phones.

Quasar

I'd just tell him to buy a iPhone SE. Android oems don't care about non giant phones.

Top Bottom