• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen is a 1/10

RoboFu

One of the green rats
... Shit Station 5 ...

giphy.gif

just incase OP gets edited:

I’m going to be as calm as I can while typing this up quick because it deserves it’s own thread.

It’s no secret I haven’t been enjoying this game. Bugs, performance issues, pop in textures, and a million miles of bad gameplay I could go on and on about.

This isn’t how I deduced it’s a 1/10, no, it’s what just happened to me in my last 3 hours of play.

I made it to the final boss. Huzzah! I go attempt him once, get smashed, no big deal. Run back to try again and the game crashes on PS5. No surprise. This game has crashed on me several times.

Here’s the kicker. It tells me as it crashes and I want to play that my save data is corrupted. It flat out states I must pick either the console save or my cloud save , and the other will be deleted. I look at the time stamps and like any normal person I picked the further time. I checked my phone. The console is 11:13PM today and my phone said the same. I picked that and figured maybe I’ll need to redo the last checkpoint I got.

Wrong. This fucking insane developer and shit station 5 deleted the last 3-4 hours of progress. I think 4 or 5 bosses of progress, the second to last beacon , the whole final area which is over 3 hours long of painstaking just running by enemies because this cancer of a game throws room after room of 10+ dudes forcing you to never fight and just run.

This will go down in history as the biggest fuck you I’ve ever received from playing any game ever, and a rude reminder to NEVER 1) buy a game from this shit stain dev and publisher ever again and 2) never press on with a game im disliking no matter how much I tell myself I have to. (Spent all this $, got nothing better to play, etc)

I hope this doesn’t happen to any of you. This game is officially the worst game of 2023 for me.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
What a drag.

WTF happened to this game? It looked like the real deal for a while. Either 100% blowing smoke by the devs or that UE4 -> UE5 rumor is true.

Such a shame, the game looked so cool and the idea of coop'ing it seemed great.

Can't be bothered now, too many other things to play and coop'ing Bloodborne. Eating good as it is.

AgatonSax

Yeah that sucks. Was playing Callisto Protocol and had to replay that mid game section with blind enemies in the shanty town and the first two head encounter. So bloody tedious.

Nice that we’re so time rich we can push on through unenjoyable experiences though, eh?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
That really sucks you lost your save like that. I've had things like this happen to me in the past and it always makes one rage.

Having said that, I'm loving this game. I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm having blast, the atmosphere is off the charts, and it controls great. The Devs seem to be patching it quickly, too.

8/10 for me so far. (assuming I don't lose my save as well!)

Draugoth

Gold Member
What a drag.

WTF happened to this game? It looked like the real deal for a while. Either 100% blowing smoke by the devs or that UE4 -> UE5 rumor is true.

The rumor is very likely true. Devs are basically releasing patches daily and the CEO said they would be disclosing sales figures soon to investors.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
this even goord as Mortal Shell?
I personally think Wo Long this year is better , and Lies of P is in another league beyond any other soulslike attempt. LoP is a hair shy of FromSoft games.

Mortal Shell I never got far into. Never grabbed me so I can’t comment. What was there never ticked me off or I had issues with.

GymWolf

I have to say that all the people who primary search for ds1 level design\exploration in a souls clone should play this game.

Devs are probably gonna solve most of the (solvable) problems in a couple of weeks if they release a patch per day like they are doing now.

I do think that some problems are not real problems but that is another discussion.

Mortisfacio

Is the game savable through patches? Or just fundamentally not good? Work + family + BG3/CyberPunk prevented me from getting to play this and Lies of P. Looking like I'll be going with Lies of P and potentially skipping this entirely?

FeralEcho

Is the game savable through patches? Or just fundamentally not good? Work + family + BG3/CyberPunk prevented me from getting to play this and Lies of P. Looking like I'll be going with Lies of P and potentially skipping this entirely?
Lies of P is a masterpiece.Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time,Dark Souls the 4th but Lies of P is the closest thing to an actual From Software souls game from everything I've played these years though i have to admit I've yet to buy Lords of the Fallen though I plan to in the future.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

I’m going to do a big write up here for anyone interested in just all of what is wrong with this game. The context being a direct comparison to fromsoft games, and ultimately respecting the player/being fun.

My issues are as follows:

*Performance. On PS5 I still get frequent stutters into the 30s or 40s. This can and will occur during key parry times or bosses in general netting in you getting hit.

*Visuals. The art style is mostly a hit, but due to rendering and broken HDR, the game will look too dark or washed out. You’ll get plenty of texture pop in and plenty of low res textures. I’ve also had this effect with smoke, poison clouds, and others where it looks like the scramble censor effect in game so it’s entirely pixelating blocks of the screen. I’ll add here too that most of the gear here will clip into each other and it’s distracting.

*Bugs. As from this OP of my game crashing and erasing my progress, there is numerous other bugs. AI walking at walls striking air, enemies stuck in ground, in air, on rocks. Unsure if resolved but if you play online an invader comes into your world and kills your NPCs it will brick side quest progress entirely. I’ve had quest completion bugs of npc saying “here take this” with no item obtained or given. There’s plenty more but I’ll save them for gameplay discussion below.

*The umbral lamp is a bloated mechanic. This thing is brought up by making sure you hit down on your dpad if it isn’t already selected . Then you hit L2 to raise it. Once raised you have a L1,R2, square , and triangle button entry you can perform. You can rip souls out of enemies with it ,move platforms , scan environments, and more. You basically are stuck using this in every room to do a “Batman” scan . However when scanning it leaves you 100% vulnerable and it is a slow animation. The soul rip mechanic is painfully slow and you’ll need a lot of space to do it. The worst mechanic of it is the L2 R1 needed to kill these blue little protection buffs elites can get or other enemies near by. It leaves you vulnerable while you break it down and it takes forever. To add to this the lamp can also have eyes added into it to change buffs , can be upgraded etc. It’s far too much and needed to be organically integrated and simplified. It takes away from immersion and flow of games like this .

*Combat/Camera. The camera can and will get stuck into stuff. It’s about as offensive as when it happens in Lies of P. Large bosses especially trigger this. Combat has many issues. You can 100% directly strike a monster and it will not register the hit. The same can be done to you, and no this isn’t invincibility frames from rolling. I’m talking about standing there and complete blows not counting. Yes the game also has hit boxes that are nowhere near you and it counts as a hit. I went with a medium build using the heaviest gear with lots of +weight so I don’t fat roll. I did a shield and flail but ultimately my main weapon was actually a hammer I can throw to invest in plus ammunition. This thing made every boss encounter a joke. Walk backward , chuck hammers, boss dies. I was sword and board until I realized how broken this is because most bosses will slowly walk at you.

*Monsters/Density. There is a very low amount of enemy types in this game. Bosses will become elites later on. There isn’t even palette swaps to give you memes new attacks or moves. It’s the same dudes from start to finish. What’s really a pain is even with a maxed out weapon I was swinging at enemies you should be 1-2 shotting for the lowly zombie guys who swing their arms at you. Instead they are 4-6 hits. Elites ? Yeah unless I can pick them off with hammer from far off I just run by them. Why ? Because it’s never 1v1. The density is 99% of the time 6-10 guys in a room all trying to attack you at once. This forces you to load up a check point, run through an area and pick up treasures along the way until you either reach a new checkpoint or you make one yourself which I’ll touch on next . The issue here is most of the game is a tedious waste of your time. Farming souls I think I did once to get enough to buy a 9000 cost key. Even with running away from most encounters I got to level 76 by the time of final boss. The game clearly just wants you to run away constantly.

*Checkpoints. This is atrocious. The game has standard bonfires but then also gives you seeds, often from bosses, that you can plant in specific areas with flowers on the ground . The issue is the game will put flower beds in troll locations constantly. It’ll put them right before a normal bonfire in the next room. Right next to a shortcut opening back to your normal bonfire. Right next to another flower bed in next room. The game puts actual bonfires in extremely long stretches between the next so you have to risk placing these seeds which have a cost to them and you could run out without farming to buy one. It’s also going to keep only one seed checkpoint and deletes the previous. The seems too inept and lazy to just create good checkpoints on their own. To add to this the game will create shortcuts right next to each other making you scratch your head like wtf is the point. Kick down a ladder to your checkpoint but open a door in the same room to lead to same checkpoint but not from different parts of the world to intertwine … I’m talking same room.

*Level Design/Cheap Deaths. Most of your deaths will come from the level design. The dumb platforming sections leading to falls, enemies around corners to push you off a ledge , having to rip a platform down or fight 10 enemies at once while slowly using the animation to pull souls out of a platform which leaves you wide open to attacks. Dying picking up your souls because it takes 6 seconds to do so all of which you can’t roll, run, or attack during but are open to attacks. The actual levels are a shit show of paths that lead to dead ends with nothing there even using your lamp to scan, and no way to go back sometimes like in early game where you don’t have free teleport items and likely have gone through platforms you can go back up due to vertical difference… so just die and enjoy the time wasted. Levels in general don’t often feel intuitive in how they are coming together to know where to go. Very easy to miss what to do where to go or a level or ladder because of the textures and lighting just melding shit.

*Bosses. Piss easy. Either first try to third try. Nothing here will challenge a souls veteran. The hammer build made it all joke tier but even before then the parry window is massive and the attacks are easy to see what they do. The major issue is depending on your weapon , especially early game, it can take soooooo many hits to win. Two bosses looked cool and had a cool fight which were Thancred and a Titan from attack on titan in a burning down.

*Misc. Stuff. Gear looks good sometimes but often the best in slot stuff is the ugliest. Either have to go full fashion or be butt ugly for stats. Normalize transmog in these games please. Music and sound is not memorable. There is no Ludwig theme here or fire link shrine. About the only thing this game does right and gets its 1 point for is leveling stats and what they do allows for some diverse builds.

—-

So how did I arrive at a 1/10? Well there you go .

TLDR: only good thing is the leveling stats. If you like this game you don’t pay any attention to why fromsoft games are as good as they are. Or are a glutton for shit.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I’m going to do a big write up here for anyone interested in just all of what is wrong with this game. The context being a direct comparison to fromsoft games, and ultimately respecting the player/being fun.

My issues are as follows:

*Performance. On PS5 I still get frequent stutters into the 30s or 40s. This can and will occur during key parry times or bosses in general netting in you getting hit.

*Visuals. The art style is mostly a hit, but due to rendering and broken HDR, the game will look too dark or washed out. You’ll get plenty of texture pop in and plenty of low res textures. I’ve also had this effect with smoke, poison clouds, and others where it looks like the scramble censor effect in game so it’s entirely pixelating blocks of the screen. I’ll add here too that most of the gear here will clip into each other and it’s distracting.

*Bugs. As from this OP of my game crashing and erasing my progress, there is numerous other bugs. AI walking at walls striking air, enemies stuck in ground, in air, on rocks. Unsure if resolved but if you play online an invader comes into your world and kills your NPCs it will brick side quest progress entirely. I’ve had quest completion bugs of npc saying “here take this” with no item obtained or given. There’s plenty more but I’ll save them for gameplay discussion below.

*The umbral lamp is a bloated mechanic. This thing is brought up by making sure you hit down on your dpad if it isn’t already selected . Then you hit L2 to raise it. Once raised you have a L1,R2, square , and triangle button entry you can perform. You can rip souls out of enemies with it ,move platforms , scan environments, and more. You basically are stuck using this in every room to do a “Batman” scan . However when scanning it leaves you 100% vulnerable and it is a slow animation. The soul rip mechanic is painfully slow and you’ll need a lot of space to do it. The worst mechanic of it is the L2 R1 needed to kill these blue little protection buffs elites can get or other enemies near by. It leaves you vulnerable while you break it down and it takes forever. To add to this the lamp can also have eyes added into it to change buffs , can be upgraded etc. It’s far too much and needed to be organically integrated and simplified. It takes away from immersion and flow of games like this .

*Combat/Camera. The camera can and will get stuck into stuff. It’s about as offensive as when it happens in Lies of P. Large bosses especially trigger this. Combat has many issues. You can 100% directly strike a monster and it will not register the hit. The same can be done to you, and no this isn’t invincibility frames from rolling. I’m talking about standing there and complete blows not counting. Yes the game also has hit boxes that are nowhere near you and it counts as a hit. I went with a medium build using the heaviest gear with lots of +weight so I don’t fat roll. I did a shield and flail but ultimately my main weapon was actually a hammer I can throw to invest in plus ammunition. This thing made every boss encounter a joke. Walk backward , chuck hammers, boss dies. I was sword and board until I realized how broken this is because most bosses will slowly walk at you.

*Monsters/Density. There is a very low amount of enemy types in this game. Bosses will become elites later on. There isn’t even palette swaps to give you memes new attacks or moves. It’s the same dudes from start to finish. What’s really a pain is even with a maxed out weapon I was swinging at enemies you should be 1-2 shotting for the lowly zombie guys who swing their arms at you. Instead they are 4-6 hits. Elites ? Yeah unless I can pick them off with hammer from far off I just run by them. Why ? Because it’s never 1v1. The density is 99% of the time 6-10 guys in a room all trying to attack you at once. This forces you to load up a check point, run through an area and pick up treasures along the way until you either reach a new checkpoint or you make one yourself which I’ll touch on next . The issue here is most of the game is a tedious waste of your time. Farming souls I think I did once to get enough to buy a 9000 cost key. Even with running away from most encounters I got to level 76 by the time of final boss. The game clearly just wants you to run away constantly.

*Checkpoints. This is atrocious. The game has standard bonfires but then also gives you seeds, often from bosses, that you can plant in specific areas with flowers on the ground . The issue is the game will put flower beds in troll locations constantly. It’ll put them right before a normal bonfire in the next room. Right next to a shortcut opening back to your normal bonfire. Right next to another flower bed in next room. The game puts actual bonfires in extremely long stretches between the next so you have to risk placing these seeds which have a cost to them and you could run out without farming to buy one. It’s also going to keep only one seed checkpoint and deletes the previous. The seems too inept and lazy to just create good checkpoints on their own. To add to this the game will create shortcuts right next to each other making you scratch your head like wtf is the point. Kick down a ladder to your checkpoint but open a door in the same room to lead to same checkpoint but not from different parts of the world to intertwine … I’m talking same room.

*Level Design/Cheap Deaths. Most of your deaths will come from the level design. The dumb platforming sections leading to falls, enemies around corners to push you off a ledge , having to rip a platform down or fight 10 enemies at once while slowly using the animation to pull souls out of a platform which leaves you wide open to attacks. Dying picking up your souls because it takes 6 seconds to do so all of which you can’t roll, run, or attack during but are open to attacks. The actual levels are a shit show of paths that lead to dead ends with nothing there even using your lamp to scan, and no way to go back sometimes like in early game where you don’t have free teleport items and likely have gone through platforms you can go back up due to vertical difference… so just die and enjoy the time wasted. Levels in general don’t often feel intuitive in how they are coming together to know where to go. Very easy to miss what to do where to go or a level or ladder because of the textures and lighting just melding shit.

*Bosses. Piss easy. Either first try to third try. Nothing here will challenge a souls veteran. The hammer build made it all joke tier but even before then the parry window is massive and the attacks are easy to see what they do. The major issue is depending on your weapon , especially early game, it can take soooooo many hits to win. Two bosses looked cool and had a cool fight which were Thancred and a Titan from attack on titan in a burning down.

*Misc. Stuff. Gear looks good sometimes but often the best in slot stuff is the ugliest. Either have to go full fashion or be butt ugly for stats. Normalize transmog in these games please. Music and sound is not memorable. There is no Ludwig theme here or fire link shrine. About the only thing this game does right and gets its 1 point for is leveling stats and what they do allows for some diverse builds.

—-

So how did I arrive at a 1/10? Well there you go .

TLDR: only good thing is the leveling stats. If you like this game you don’t pay any attention to why fromsoft games are as good as they are. Or are a glutton for shit.

The monster variety, camera and checkpoints (primarily the flower bed locations) sound the most infuriating to me. Monster variety is particularly troublesome with a Soulslike as too much repetition it just gets boring to me. Thank you for the write-up. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I’m going to be as calm as I can while typing this up quick because it deserves it’s own thread.

It’s no secret I haven’t been enjoying this game. Bugs, performance issues, pop in textures, and a million miles of bad gameplay I could go on and on about.

This isn’t how I deduced it’s a 1/10, no, it’s what just happened to me in my last 3 hours of play.

I made it to the final boss. Huzzah! I go attempt him once, get smashed, no big deal. Run back to try again and the game crashes on PS5. No surprise. This game has crashed on me several times.

Here’s the kicker. It tells me as it crashes and I want to play that my save data is corrupted. It flat out states I must pick either the console save or my cloud save , and the other will be deleted. I look at the time stamps and like any normal person I picked the further time. I checked my phone. The console is 11:13PM today and my phone said the same. I picked that and figured maybe I’ll need to redo the last checkpoint I got.

Wrong. This fucking insane developer and shit station 5 deleted the last 3-4 hours of progress. I think 4 or 5 bosses of progress, the second to last beacon , the whole final area which is over 3 hours long of painstaking just running by enemies because this cancer of a game throws room after room of 10+ dudes forcing you to never fight and just run.

This will go down in history as the biggest fuck you I’ve ever received from playing any game ever, and a rude reminder to NEVER 1) buy a game from this shit stain dev and publisher ever again and 2) never press on with a game im disliking no matter how much I tell myself I have to. (Spent all this $, got nothing better to play, etc)

I hope this doesn’t happen to any of you. This game is officially the worst game of 2023 for me.

No it doesn't

Gojiira

Lets not blame the PS5 for shite game k thanks…

But either way it looked like hot garbage from the beginning, weightless,slow combat, floaty movement…All these Soulsborne imitators have the exact same issue. Why is Bloodborne STILL the only Soulsborne game to do dashing right? Meh, and Ive seen people declaring LotF as the best in the genre lmao.

That really sucks you lost your save like that. I've had things like this happen to me in the past and it always makes one rage.

Having said that, I'm loving this game. I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm having blast, the atmosphere is off the charts, and it controls great. The Devs seem to be patching it quickly, too.

8/10 for me so far. (assuming I don't lose my save as well!)
I'm right there with you. Issues like what happened to the OP are infuriating and I'd be pissed too, but this game is so much better than I expected based on what some people are saying about it. I'm still fairly early in the game but I think I'd give it an 8 as well.

Dev1lXYZ

I like the game so far. I just made it to the 3rd area where I have to find the blacksmith. Playing on PS5 on performance mode, no issues so far. Now if you play in full fidelity, it does stutter in places like the hub.

Lies of P is okay. The enemies and bosses are hit and miss. I like making enemies stumble and Lies just doesn’t have that going on at all.

Strangle

Neo Member

They fooled me once the first time they released this game. They weren’t going to fool me this time.

I love souls games, I’ll never buy a lords of the fallen game again

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t get why people even play this or Lies of P or any other From surrogate game.

Just replay Elden Ring or something.
Exactly, I personally only play actual Souls game made by FROM , not only this prevents me from getting burnout out of Souls games but also in my honest opinion NONE of them capture what made FROM games great in first place.....it just very surface level copying.

DavidGzz

Exactly, I personally only play actual Souls game made by FROM , not only this prevents me from getting burnout out of Souls games but also in my honest opinion NONE of them capture what made FROM games great in first place.....it just very surface level copying.

Nah, From decided to make a mech game this year so I'm cheating on them with a banger. Lord's has it's own atmosphere and pros. It's essentially a genre now and Lords does it well. It would be an 85+ meta without the performance issues and I've had zero so..

Danjin44

Nah, From decided to make a mech game this year so I'm cheating on them with a banger. Lord's has it's own atmosphere and pros. It's essentially a genre now and Lords does it well. It would be an 85+ meta without the performance issues and I've had zero so..
This "mech game" has become one of my favourite game this year......I even go as far as say it one of my favourite FROM game.

I'm super glad FROM didn't forget about Armored Core, long before Demons Souls I highly enjoyed AC series and I want them continue making those games.

DavidGzz

This "mech game" has become one of my favourite game this year......I even go as far as say it one of my favourite FROM game.

I'm super glad FROM didn't forget about Armored Core, long before Demons Souls I highly enjoyed AC series and I want them continue making those games.

Good for you. Not my genre at all.

Danjin44

Good for you. Not my genre at all.
Thats okay but its good that FROM makes other type of games other Souls games and I have been waiting for new AC game for VERY long time.

Edit: Also if the rumours are true we are getting Elden Ring DLC in Feb, so I'm still getting my actual Souls game very soon.

Last edited:

SHA

Thats okay but its good that FROM makes other type of games other Souls games and I have been waiting for new AC game for VERY long time.

Edit: Also if the rumours are true we are getting Elden Ring DLC in Feb, so I'm still getting my actual Souls game very soon.
That avatar, best elves presentation and the most accurate to this date.

Skifi28

As unfortunate a corrupted save can be, it can potentially happen with any game and it wouldn't make it a 1/10. You're just venting, I'm sure there are other reasons the game is bad.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hate the lantern portions, probably will not continue
Yeah. I thought it was going to get better. They turned one of its coolest reveals into a slog.

I didn’t want to crowd up the OT with this much hate, but I regret purchasing this game. I played it again today and it didn’t get better.

Shine the lantern and reveal stuff. Except you have to target what you want and it’s these little white circle targets that you forget to press R1 or hold down R2. Not only that, but you’re stuck in this world until you find your way out.

I guess I’m just burnt out on clones. Wo Long and NiOh 2 were good. From Software games never made me this frustrated. If I could have rewritten this game, the lamp would have been 1/2 to 3/4 the way in. It wouldn’t have done all this nonsense where it feels like I’m examining portraits on the wall. I was skipping all the dialogue pop ups because it was taking away from having fun.

This will probably be my final rant on why this game sucked. I’m considering contacting Sony and saying it has performance issues and I’d like a refund. Man, these clones are using From Software to spin their own half baked games. From Software doesn’t drown you with reveal trailers. They make a solid game. It’s the other dozen and a half who crank out games based off the same engine.

Top Bottom