• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen is a 1/10

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m going to be as calm as I can while typing this up quick because it deserves it’s own thread.

It’s no secret I haven’t been enjoying this game. Bugs, performance issues, pop in textures, and a million miles of bad gameplay I could go on and on about.

This isn’t how I deduced it’s a 1/10, no, it’s what just happened to me in my last 3 hours of play.

I made it to the final boss. Huzzah! I go attempt him once, get smashed, no big deal. Run back to try again and the game crashes on PS5. No surprise. This game has crashed on me several times.

Here’s the kicker. It tells me as it crashes and I want to play that my save data is corrupted. It flat out states I must pick either the console save or my cloud save , and the other will be deleted. I look at the time stamps and like any normal person I picked the further time. I checked my phone. The console is 11:13PM today and my phone said the same. I picked that and figured maybe I’ll need to redo the last checkpoint I got.

Wrong. This fucking insane developer and shit station 5 deleted the last 3-4 hours of progress. I think 4 or 5 bosses of progress, the second to last beacon , the whole final area which is over 3 hours long of painstaking just running by enemies because this cancer of a game throws room after room of 10+ dudes forcing you to never fight and just run.

This will go down in history as the biggest fuck you I’ve ever received from playing any game ever, and a rude reminder to NEVER 1) buy a game from this shit stain dev and publisher ever again and 2) never press on with a game im disliking no matter how much I tell myself I have to. (Spent all this $, got nothing better to play, etc)

I hope this doesn’t happen to any of you. This game is officially the worst game of 2023 for me.

Arsic

If it tells you the save is corrupted its better to go with cloud because (I guess anyway) its fine since it was able to be uploaded.

But yeah, the game seems like a piece of shit, I'm sorry you wasted your time and I would just drop it altogether now if I were you.

Deleted. There’s no way I’m replaying 5 bosses and over 3-4 hours of content just to say I beat it. I would’ve beat it without issues. The game is piss easy.

The cloud save was saying it was from 4:14 PM earlier today. The console 11:13. I don’t think I could’ve won.

Sleepwalker

Deleted. There’s no way I’m replaying 5 bosses and over 3-4 hours of content just to say I beat it. I would’ve beat it without issues. The game is piss easy.

The cloud save was saying it was from 4:14 PM earlier today. The console 11:13. I don’t think I could’ve won.

My friend almost got me to buy this thing but I told him to wait on reviews, thankfully we didn't get to buy it. Honestly nothing worse than wasting $70 on a dud.

Bring back demos

Flutta

Banned
Steps to protect yourself.

*Learn to not fall for marketing stunts. Learn the hints.

*Wait for steam reviews before buying any game.

*Don’t ever preorder any game, doesn’t matter how much you want to play it.

*Don’t ever i mean never reward a dev that burnt you before.

*Play your old games until the dust settles on new game releases.

Last edited:

Arsic

*Learn to not fall marketing stunts. Learn the hints.

*Play your old games for the dust to settle on new game releases.

Agree with everything stated. Big lessons learned to not bone myself again.

Embearded

Soulslike games are autosaving with every fart, how the hell did the most recent save throw you back 4 hours?
Properly handling the save files should have been mastered within the studio by now.

Arsic

Soulslike games are autosaving with every fart, how the hell did the most recent save throw you back 4 hours?
Properly handling the save files should have been mastered within the studio by now.
I think the most I’ve ever lost in a game in my almost 3 decades of playing was 10 minutes. 4 hours though !? And on the final boss is like a giga kick in the dick.

stickkidsam

My condolences Arsic.

I hope dis pear brings you comfort.

pear_PNG3463.png

That's a shame. I was looking at TPUs review and figured I'd pick it up on sale as it looks absolutely amazing.
Been playing it on PS5 and not had any issues luckily (though co op is laggy). It’s been a blast so far, but as Arsic said be prepared for lots of enemies and winding level design. I find it fun but others don’t enjoy that aspect.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is mostly my taste but I personally always stay away from these Souls clones, I’m glad others enjoying them but for me I rather stick with FROM games, to me there is feel and atmosphere you just can’t get from other games and I’m not just talking about their Souls games but also their Armored Core games, I’m currently just fucking obsessed with ACVI.

If FROM ever stops making games then I look for alternatives but until then I don’t see the point playing clones…..but thats just me.

Arsic

My condolences Arsic.

I hope dis pear brings you comfort.

pear_PNG3463.png

Been playing it on PS5 and not had any issues luckily (though co op is laggy). It’s been a blast so far, but as Arsic said be prepared for lots of enemies and winding level design. I find it fun but others don’t enjoy that aspect.

That looks delicious .🤤

drezz

When a game axes 3-4 hours of your play, it sure as hell isn’t anything above a 3/10. Especially not with the boatload of issues this dumpster fire has going on.
I lost 175 hours in The Walking Dead Saints&Sinners:Chapter 2:Retribution, in a similar fashion.

Got popp ups at every travled area that my Diskspace was full(It was over 80gb free space?) and at one point it crashed the game.
As the game crashed Unreal™ destroyed the save(Just a open "New game" slot left) and PS+ uploaded the "new" broken save to the cloud, ruining my backup.

Its the most frustrating thing to have happen too you and as it is fresh... hating the game feels easiest thing to do. But it reality, its not right. But so wasnt losing the save and hours of your time for some BS thing to happen.

"Its just, life "
-Picard.or.something

Embearded

I think the most I’ve ever lost in a game in my almost 3 decades of playing was 10 minutes. 4 hours though !? And on the final boss is like a giga kick in the dick.
I've lost more than that but not on games that autosave. Sometimes auto saving is there only to prevent you from "cheating" rather than protect your progress.

Shubh_C63

I think 4 or 5 bosses of progress, the second to last beacon , the whole final area which is over 3 hours long of painstaking just running by enemies because this cancer of a game throws room after room of 10+ dudes forcing you to never fight and just run.
The fine tuning of difficulty and enemy placement is always overlooked in favor of combat trailers and huge vistas.

Yeah, I can't be bothered to play thoughtless slogs with good graphics.

Arsic

The fine tuning of difficulty and enemy placement is always overlooked in favor of combat trailers and huge vistas.

Yeah, I can't be bothered to play thoughtless slogs with good graphics.

I wish I was over exaggerating too, but I’m not. I spent most of the game just running from a check point to check point grabbing treasure in between. There was rarely an opportunity to just 1v1 an elite, or work through a few jobber enemies because the health pool of monsters in this game is through the stratosphere.

stickkidsam

this even goord as Mortal Shell?
Can’t speak much to Mortal Shell since I didn’t play beyond the first area, but this game has grabbed my attention more than it did.

The combat is fluid, the movement is quick, and magic/tools mix in well. The world looks lovely too (or at least as lovely as a dying kingdom can look). If it can keep this up I’d say it’s on par with Dark Souls, at least for gameplay. Gonna have to wait and see how the story shakes out.

Unfortunately performance issues seem to be a gamble. I’ve not ran into anything beyond the occasional stuttering on PS5.

ahtlas7

Final boss really did smash you.
The marketing team for this game is a real master class. I didn’t buy it, don’t like souls games, but if I was going to it would have been this one. Always wait for reviews bro.

Wow that really sucks. Something like this happened to me in Bloodborne out of all games as well. I lost everything after multiple play throughs. Thankfully I had a backup on a USB drive. Yet Sony or whoever don’t want us to be able to do backup saves on a USB drive. It’s reasons like this why we need more backup options.

I experienced something similar when my Phantasy Star Online character save got corrupted and I lost over 10 days of playtime. Channel your hate OP. Don't try and handle this in a normal manner, the entire world is against you, its okay to become as hate-filled as you feel you need to be... do what the rest of us do and occasionally mald out at others in the forum. I think that's what is truly healthy around here anyways. It is likely the only way to cope with that kind of shit...

Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

Freeman76

I experienced something similar when my Phantasy Star Online character save got corrupted and I lost over 10 days of playtime. Channel your hate OP. Don't try and handle this in a normal manner, the entire world is against you, its okay to become as hate-filled as you feel you need to be... do what the rest of us do and occasionally mald out at others in the forum. I think that's what is truly healthy around here anyways. It is likely the only way to cope with that kind of shit...

I had this on GC, and also my 1000 hour ramar got nol'd 😭

Also I notice an error in OPs rating. Surely its 0/10 if you cant play it at all

Only Gaf understands. I’m trying to imagine explaining this problem to my wife lmao.

cripterion

That sucks. Been watching footage of the game on PS5 and sounds like the game needed more time in the oven, like 6-8 months more and they could have brought a great deal of polish.
Also what's up with the hit sounds?

First world problems at their finest
💪

We're on a game forum after all

Last edited:

Ogbert

Game is utter dogshit.

Performs terribly. Shit design. Boring gank mobs. Utterly uninspired pastiche of DS; like a gameloft mobile game.

The only thing it has going for it is the dual sense implementation.

4/10.

Filben

*Learn to not fall for marketing stunts. Learn the hints.

*Play your old games until the dust settles on new game releases.
I second this. You can't change a dev or game solely by yourself, it's an uphill battle. Try to do something you can change, like your habits. In short term it helps you specifically, when enough people do it in the long run, it may changes global practices.

IAmRei

I’m going to be as calm as I can while typing this up quick because it deserves it’s own thread.

It’s no secret I haven’t been enjoying this game. Bugs, performance issues, pop in textures, and a million miles of bad gameplay I could go on and on about.

This isn’t how I deduced it’s a 1/10, no, it’s what just happened to me in my last 3 hours of play.

I made it to the final boss. Huzzah! I go attempt him once, get smashed, no big deal. Run back to try again and the game crashes on PS5. No surprise. This game has crashed on me several times.

Here’s the kicker. It tells me as it crashes and I want to play that my save data is corrupted. It flat out states I must pick either the console save or my cloud save , and the other will be deleted. I look at the time stamps and like any normal person I picked the further time. I checked my phone. The console is 11:13PM today and my phone said the same. I picked that and figured maybe I’ll need to redo the last checkpoint I got.

Wrong. This fucking insane developer and shit station 5 deleted the last 3-4 hours of progress. I think 4 or 5 bosses of progress, the second to last beacon , the whole final area which is over 3 hours long of painstaking just running by enemies because this cancer of a game throws room after room of 10+ dudes forcing you to never fight and just run.

This will go down in history as the biggest fuck you I’ve ever received from playing any game ever, and a rude reminder to NEVER 1) buy a game from this shit stain dev and publisher ever again and 2) never press on with a game im disliking no matter how much I tell myself I have to. (Spent all this $, got nothing better to play, etc)

I hope this doesn’t happen to any of you. This game is officially the worst game of 2023 for me.
Reminds me to my experience with few hours of breakpoint... Not crashing but unbearable experience is strong up to the point i uninstalled the game emotionally

GymWolf

Seems like it was similar for the original. That one also had some performance issues and divisive opinions that only softened over time.
Not like this one.

Even people who liked that one said it was decent/good at best.

For this one you go from 1/10 scores to people liking it more than any souls clone, i read both here, a bit of reee and reddit so i have a large spectrum of opinions.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This cloud/local save issue happens on gamepass pc games too. I always copy local save files to another folder when it wants you to pick one. They have to explain what's going on better.

yansolo

havnt played it yet but from all the videos ive seen and comments ive read about it i probably wont, i imagine bugs and stuff will get patched out but the game itself looks very generic.

Souls games are just so good and have this specific thing about them that no matter how hard other devs to try to imitate or add their own spin to the formula, they can never get close.

Draugoth

Gold Member
The game is unironically so broken that the steam key reseller i bought the deluxe edition key from was open for a full refund.

But i think OP is wrong. a 1/10 game is Bugsby 3D levels of unplayable, Lords of the Fallen is a 7/10. It has it's positives despite its flaws, also the devs are releasing patches daily, so it should be playable (eventually)

Luckily UE5 is powerful and it allows for extensive modifications of already released games.

Top Bottom