• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can someone explain why Google releases their phones after everyone has already bought their phone for the year? Is it just so they'll have a nice timed exclusive on new OS versions?

It's annoying as fuck cause new chip designs and new OS are like 6 months apart from each other.

I ranted enough about this last year though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can someone explain why Google releases their phones after everyone has already bought their phone for the year? Is it just so they'll have a nice timed exclusive on new OS versions?

Yup. They use that as a selling point.

It's annoying as fuck cause new chip designs and new OS are like 6 months apart from each other.

I ranted enough about this last year though.

? Can y'all explain this conspiracy theory to me? Why are you buying your "phone for the year" before Google releases their phones? (also BlackFriday/Christmas season is most popular time for phone purchases/deals...)

I told you guys this stuff. Pyro getting no credit. Pixel should be out same time as last year if not a day earlier on Oct 19.

I heard the XL will be later, possibly beginning of November. Not sure if that's worldwide or just specific places. Two colours, black and panda style black and white I believe. 64/128gb storage sizes. 128 probably in low quantity.

Expecting a higher price for the XL than last year.

Etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ONTXHS2mM

Vanillalite

? Can y'all explain this conspiracy theory to me? Why are you buying your "phone for the year" before Google releases their phones? (also BlackFriday/Christmas season is most popular time for phone purchases/deals...)

New chips for Android land launch in the winter.

Sometimes a Chinese manufacturer gets the jump.

Usually the first major Qualcomm device is the Galaxy S in like late Feb - end of April depending when they announce and how long it takes to ship.

It's annoying cause unlike say Apple who launches new chip and new OS in tandum Android land is split in two.

You get the OS in the late Summer/Fall along with Pixel in the fall or else you get a new flagship ie Samsung, LG, HTC ect... in early Spring.

In Apple land your guaranteed roughly a year of having the top device both OS and phone chip. In Android land your stuck with one or the other. This matters more now that the Pixel is flagship pricing vs Nexus.

So for example the Pixel 2 is gonna be good until suddenly 2-3 months in Qualcomm goes yo next Snapdragon is here and dumps specs. Then Samsung rolls out the chips 2-3 months after that. So Pixel users are left with last year's chip for half the cycle before a new phone. LG Samsung HTC have the same issue just with software.

If Google shifted so they launched in the Spring with everyone else then they could fix the chip issue.

Granted the rumor was Google is working on their own chips in which case that also fixes it as their own chips will only launch when their own phone launches.

PS: Why did the label this as conspiracy theory? It's just product cycles. LoL

Jeffrey

Is there a road map showing anything interesting of sd845? 835 was the die shrink. Not sure there will be huge gains next year.

In the end it shouldn't matter too much. My op5 runs about as smooth and fast as my pixel and op3.

Jeffrey

Rubin took my money. Now ship me my damn phone already.

Buggy? Like what?

My Pixel XL has been basically flawless since launch.

Mine pixel restarted more often than other android phones I've owned.

YouTube frequently froze but audio still plays. Have to scrub to fix.

Bluetooth turns itself off randomly, but I'm having that bug on op5 too... Wonder if it's a nougat issue?

Vanillalite

Is there a road map showing anything interesting of sd845? 835 was the die shrink. Not sure there will be huge gains next year.

In the end it shouldn't matter too much. My op5 runs about as smooth and fast as my pixel and op3.

We usually get leaks in Oct-Dec before Qualcomm announces shit.

ArchAngel

My CC will be ready.
64GB Pixel 2 XL if the video quality won't be much better than Pixels.
128GB Pixel 2 XL if the video quality is way better than before.

Can't wait for the pOLED screen without burn-in to ... burn-in like every other in 2 weeks.

so the lease discount is 50% aka $20/mo ($360)

that's more savings than buying an eligible phone from Swappa/Ebay to trade-in to Samsung!

would end up paying $360 ($20 x 18 mo) plus $240 to own after the lease ends for a total of $600.

not bad.

LeleSocho

Banned
Damn the verge shat hard on xz premium.

https://www.theverge.com/phone-review/2017/8/24/16182832/sony-xperia-xz-premium-review-price

Also their reviews are becoming more and more blog posty.

Wish they'd put more effort.

These days only GSMarena reviews have the details I need now that anandtech is basically done with phones.

This is the most amateurish attempt of a review i've ever seen, it and to think so many idiots take these "reviews" seriously when deciding what to buy.

gamma

Hey guys, a friend is looking for a new budget phone and asked me for help. Price range is 100-200€. Spec wise the main requirements are long lasting and, if possible, removable battery. A good camera would also be nice. I was looking at the new Moto E4 Plus which meets all the requirements. Do you have any other recommendations?

This got buried unfortunately. Anyone have recommendations?

Jeffrey

Good option for battery life. Not gonna be the best camera or snappiest option. I'm in the US so I'm not familiar with discounts in Europe sadly. If importing is cool there are plenty of solid xiaomis for a good price.

How much is a 2016 moto z play?

ZOONAMI

Yeah no one is gonna buy one regardless.

Although I see international ones priced around $600 which isn't shabby.

Yeah terrible review.

No other phone has a 4k display, lots of phones do have bezels.

Waterproofing that zforce 2, likely pixel 2 will lack

Sony is known to have some camera issues at launch but hopefully they iron them out.

It does look premium.

At $600 I'd pick this up over a oneplus no question.

It's arguably at least a better phone than the zforce 2 which is $750. So I don't think Sony is crazy with the pricing here. It'll be $600 relatively quickly though because yeah no one will buy it. Sony fucked up not at least keeping their phones available with T-mobile and Verizon.

At this point I'm surprised they haven't folded their mobile division, like years ago at this point.

Furyous

Nyt is saying iPhone will be a grand.

Note is the value buy!

It comes with more available storage than my late 2013 MacBook pro. I think the pricing is off anyway. I think last year's iPhone 7 was $1000 for the 256 gb version. The 512 version should be $2000. The ram itself could, estimate mind you, cost $12 based on the iPhone 7's 32 gigs costing a little over an estimated $8.

cszmryovyaawd8n.jpg

Investors somewhere happy as shit at the potential $1700 profit per device.

Rubin took my money. Now ship me my damn phone already.

Mine pixel restarted more often than other android phones I've owned.

YouTube frequently froze but audio still plays. Have to scrub to fix.

Bluetooth turns itself off randomly, but I'm having that bug on op5 too... Wonder if it's a nougat issue?

Sounds like you just got a busted phone. Doesn't at all echo my time with the XL.

gamma

Good option for battery life. Not gonna be the best camera or snappiest option. I'm in the US so I'm not familiar with discounts in Europe sadly. If importing is cool there are plenty of solid xiaomis for a good price.

How much is a 2016 moto z play?

Looked at a le eco s3 at all?

The phone is for a non-tech person so importing isn't an option since warranty and stuff would be an issue. Moto Z Play is ~320€. As far as Chinese brands go, Huawai is available here. Do they have any good option?

Jeffrey

The phone is for a non-tech person so importing isn't an option since warranty and stuff would be an issue. Moto Z Play is ~320€. As far as Chinese brands go, Huawai is available here. Do they have any good option?
Honor phones are solid. But that moto might be the best option. Non tech folks don't care about performance,and their facebook pictures gonna look bad if they use a cheap or good camera (my relatives... Jesus). Battery is key though.

Yeah terrible review.

No other phone has a 4k display, lots of phones do have bezels.

Waterproofing that zforce 2, likely pixel 2 will lack

Sony is known to have some camera issues at launch but hopefully they iron them out.

It does look premium.

At $600 I'd pick this up over a oneplus no question.

It's arguably at least a better phone than the zforce 2 which is $750. So I don't think Sony is crazy with the pricing here. It'll be $600 relatively quickly though because yeah no one will buy it. Sony fucked up not at least keeping their phones available with T-mobile and Verizon.

At this point I'm surprised they haven't folded their mobile division, like years ago at this point.

with carrier deals you can get a Note 8 for $600 total (over 19 months)

reKon

Banned
Engadget saying the Essential camera isn't up to par. Damn that's a shame. That's a must to be up there with the big dawgs

Dobsie

Xiaomi redmi note 4. £115; good soc and ram, should have great battery life, camera never going to be great for a budget phone. Basically no warranty as buying from China but you're getting what would be a £200+ phone for £115

Jeffrey

Engadget saying the Essential camera isn't up to par. Damn that's a shame. That's a must to be up there with the big dawgs

Yeah it's coming in hot. According to verge reviewer on Twitter there's already been 3+ updates in the last week relates to camera stuff.

Mine still hasn't shipped... Curious how the pictures will look. Honestly I still think all phone cameras look like ass in low light, just a scale of ass ass to heavily processed ass.

As long as it takes ok pictures in day time I'll be happy.

Firebrand

Anyone know how to choose an account for inapp purchases when there's more than two Google accounts on the device? It always uses the first account. I've tried reinstalling the app while having the second account selected in google play, cleared caches and data for the app as well as google play, but nothing helps.

It's hard to believe the only way around would be to temporarily delete the first account...!

Husker86

I'm really not liking the new Google Now Home page. Instead of having things I used daily on the main page, it's just shit news with the stuff I really want behind another click.

Yeah but Sprint tho. Any good deals on at&t?

one of my coworkers was talking about the Verizon deal, that appearsa to be good too.

dunno about AT&T as where i am, them and T-Mobile suck.

didn't even have a T-Mobile store for 100mi until last month,

Clearly we live in different financial demos. But thats the same reason why I can't get into PC based VR.

Also explains why I'm still running a i5 2500k w/radeon 7870 based PC.

i just can't get into VR because it hasn't passed gimmick level yet.

Top Bottom