• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFA_AOK

They work OK for me - maybe the widgets look like faces? Less :( and more :| to me though. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it :lol

Anyway, awesome thread :D How's your game coming along Andrex? I really need to find some time to program something :/

My recommendation of the day is Lucid - free game, nice visual style, simple but enough to kill a few moments here and there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Look at the clock widgets and the bottom screen dock area. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SFA_AOK said:
They work OK for me - maybe the widgets look like faces? Less :( and more :| to me though. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it :lol

Anyway, awesome thread :D How's your game coming along Andrex? I really need to find some time to program something :/

My recommendation of the day is Lucid - free game, nice visual style, simple but enough to kill a few moments here and there.

I'm hoping to re-initiate development soon. I usually am fickle when it comes to projects..

Although getting an Android phone at the moment is not feasible (I just got an iPhone 3GS over the summer), I'm still really interested in getting to know the Android OS.

I recall reading about a music player that has an Android OS and was wondering if there are any music players out there that also use the Android OS?

Thanks!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Auron_Kale said:
Although getting an Android phone at the moment is not feasible (I just got an iPhone 3GS over the summer), I'm still really interested in getting to know the Android OS.

I recall reading about a music player that has an Android OS and was wondering if there are any music players out there that also use the Android OS?

Thanks!

The Creative Zii EGG is a media player that can use Android, however the EGG version is developer-only. When (if) it gets released for consumers, it's unknown if it will still have Android... But it's probably a safe bet. I think I'm forgetting one....

Oh! The GiiNii Movit Mini was supposed to run Android. It's fallen off the map now though...

Raydeen

NinjaFridge said:

champagne-cork-pop.gif

Jobiensis

Does anyone have any recommendations on a password manager.

I need file compatibility and apps between Android, Blackberry and Windows. I'm using Keepass now, but the KeepassDroid app has a bunch of issues.

Vandiger

For anyone with an HTPC, try out Gmote. I have it on my HTPC and it works so well that I don't use my harmony remote as much. Love my droid :D

nocode

ohh, so this is why the other thread hasn't been posted in for a while. :lol

Awesome thread, very VERY helpful!

Totakeke

The X10 UI UX to be named Nexus and would also go to more devices and platforms.

Today Sony Ericsson revealed the name of its new UX platform, which will be called Nexus. Nexus will be first introduced on the Android-powered Xperia X10 and will follow in more devices throughout 2010 and 2011. It will include signature applications, a new graphical UI and varied levels of service integration. Sony Ericsson said that the platform will work with Android and other platforms, though it didn't specify which. Sony Ericsson will also work with its partners, developers and operators to optimize and customize Nexus. Nexus' goal will be to help users organize all their data, media and communications and how to discover new data and media based on users' habits and likes.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=5149

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Xperia UI looks bloated and unusable.

Totakeke

Jtwo said:
The Xperia UI looks bloated and unusable.

People say this but, one, it doesn't even override the homescreen, and two, the UI is for social networking, messaging, and media. In what ways is it not usable other than not displaying enough information on the screen?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need a ripoff of coverflow to handle social networking.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You actually kinda covered it in your previous post.
It doesn't show enough info on the screen at once.

Since the cards are stacked you can only see the person at the top.
Also, it just looks bloated. Even in the youtube demo it's lagging on a snapdragon.

If you think it's cool, that's great.. but I can't imagine anything like that actually being useful for anything but showing off your fancy new phone.

Totakeke said:
People say this but, one, it doesn't even override the homescreen, and two, the UI is for social networking, messaging, and media. In what ways is it not usable other than not displaying enough information on the screen?

People love or hate the SE UI. I hate it. It's very boring looking, like a fake UI you'd see in a movie that just wants to look cool but was whipped up quickly. I don't think it makes sense to debate why it may or may not suck, there's no right answer. I think it's hideous and would never want it myself.

Totakeke

Jtwo said:
You actually kinda covered it in your previous post.
It doesn't show enough info on the screen at once.

Since the cards are stacked you can only see the person at the top.
Also, it just looks bloated. Even in the youtube demo it's lagging on a snapdragon.

If you think it's cool, that's great.. but I can't imagine anything like that actually being useful for anything but showing off your fancy new phone.

Right, none of the things that you said says unusable. Plus it's not like we have ideal interfaces of messaging on the current UIs anyway. The lag may or may not go away by release, but it's hardly fair to say that the UI is unusable due to a non final build that may not have been optimized sufficiently.

Have you actually seen the media UI portion? That seems like a fairly structured and organized way of showing all your media, it even has them on small icons filling up the whole screen. Is that not useful at all considering all the comments people have been making about the android default media player?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Look, I'm not trying to argue you out of liking it.

Totakeke

What does it has to do with me liking it or not? The interface itself is far from unusable, what exactly is unusable? Because you don't like it?

People love or hate the SE UI. I hate it. It's very boring looking, like a fake UI you'd see in a movie that just wants to look cool but was whipped up quickly. I don't think it makes sense to debate why it may or may not suck, there's no right answer. I think it's hideous and would never want it myself.

Your points are definitely valid, but let's just talk about the media UI for example, aside from the showy transitions, isn't it a pretty logical and structured UI?

Personally I think people are so caught up on the "showy" parts, especially transition parts of the UI that they automatically discredit anything it tries to do as pretentious.

tokkun

So, both iPhone OS and Windows Mobile have support for using your phone to view slides while using their desktop presentation software. Does Android have anything like this? It always seems pretty cool when I see people doing it.

Momar

aka Ryder
Haven't seen this mentioned yet: PDF Reader on Android? Are there any? I haven't tried opening any yet, but thought I'd ask.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
chicken brick studio has been putting work in! let's take a look at the two free multi player games they offer and if we can figure out a GAF lobby or something similar later:

project imf is a team based action game w/ capture the flag!

ss_connecting.jpg

ss_char_select.jpg

ss_gameplay1.jpg

cestos is like a deathmatch marbles game

home.jpg

maps.jpg

3p.jpg

rareside

Was listening to Leo Laporte today and someone called in saying they found an App called Pocket Translator for the Droid.

He said it let you talk in English and the app would speak the translation in desired language. I can't find this app!!!!! HELP! Anyone?

jon bones said:
chicken brick studio has been putting work in! let's take a look at the two free multi player games they offer and if we can figure out a GAF lobby or something similar later:

Both of these are surprisingly awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Jobiensis said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on a password manager.

I need file compatibility and apps between Android, Blackberry and Windows. I'm using Keepass now, but the KeepassDroid app has a bunch of issues.

KeePass is the best. WORK THROUGH IT!

Pimpwerx

Hawkian said:
With a lil zooming, yes. But Reality Browser seems gone :'(
Huh? Really? Search for "Layar" doesn't return anything at all? If you still can't find it and need the app, PM me. PEACE,

Krelian

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey guys, any IRC, Netflix queue, and Gamefly queue apps available for Android yet?

Also a TV guide app?
The best IRC app by far is Android IRC, but it costs around $5. If you're willing to spend it you won't regret it, but there are some decent free IRC apps too. None are as reliable and feature rich, though.

No idea about the rest.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're not talking about an IRC client, are you? Can't help you then.

Totakeke

Skittleguy said:
Here's something interesting:

Getting Google Maps Navigation working on non-Eclair devices, outside of the USA.

Running Cyanogen's 4.2.5 on a Rogers Magic, and it works like a charm.

Wait, so Google has the routes mapped already and just disabling it? So are they using data from Google Maps or is this only working for very specific places outside US?

Edit: It does seem like it's working in a lot of places in Europe and in Asia, so why is Google not including it for other countries? Hmmmm.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Totakeke said:
Wait, so Google has the routes mapped already and just disabling it? So are they using data from Google Maps or is this only working for very specific places outside US?
I'm not sure why or how, but Google Navigator doesn't work outside of the USA by default (some say possibly due to licensing issues with the maps, but the jury is still out on that one). The industrious peeps at XDA made some changes to the Map app, and voila.

Ex. the Calgary satellite view is copyright Tele Atlas. Scroll down to Montana, copyright Google.

Totakeke

Skittleguy said:
I'm not sure why or how, but Google Navigator doesn't work outside of the USA by default (some say possibly due to licensing issues with the maps, but the jury is still out on that one). The industrious peeps at XDA made some changes to the Map app, and voila.

Ex. the Calgary satellite view is copyright Tele Atlas. Scroll down to Montana, copyright Google.

When Google unveiled Google Navigation, they did say it will only work in US, so I thought because they haven't mapped out routes in other countries specifically for navigation, but that doesn't seem like the case.

Ah, could be licensing issues then.

Hey, is there any way to make a direct email shortcut on the desktop? I like to use Gmail as a GTD system, and mail tasks to different addresses to get different labels slapped on them, and am looking for a way to do it quickly. Thanks.

blitz64

What is a good mp3 player for Windows and android?

I used itunes for many years because I was forced to use it with ipod. Now that I'm finally free, I'm open to others. I tried windows media player 12 that came with windows 7 and it sucks!! Very hard to edit a group of songs, hard to add album art, and the whole ui is just crappy.

Maybe I'll go back to itunes if there is nothing good for windows.

eznark

Banned
DirecTV's NFL SuperFan application, which was on the iPhone when the season started, was released yesterday morning.

Perfect timing. I drove from St. Cloud to Cincinnati and didn't miss a snap (slight exaggeration as I did lose 3G for about 40 total minutes during the trip which made it freeze up). I had pretty bad luck with the iPhone version of the application (using a 3G, not a 3Gs) but yesterday was truly amazing.

Not Android specific, but holy shit what an age we live in. I was able to get home an entire day earlier than I had planned, simply because I was able to take my Sunday obsession on the road with me.

Blitz, if you're just looking for a music library application like itunes, MediaMonkey and Songbird are really good. They are still crappy in terms of syncing with external devices, but for managing and playing your library they are every bit as good as iTunes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
blitz64 said:

I used itunes for many years because I was forced to use it with ipod. Now that I'm finally free, I'm open to others. I tried windows media player 12 that came with windows 7 and it sucks!! Very hard to edit a group of songs, hard to add album art, and the whole ui is just crappy.

http://www.doubletwist.com/

Vlad

blitz64 said:

I've been using Winamp for years, and haven't had any issues with it. I personally can't stand iTunes (I even use Winamp for transferring songs to my iPod), either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
Have to feel pretty skeptical of those figures if Symbian doesn't show up at all when it has the most phones worthwhile.

It's based on the amount of apps for each platform that use AdMob's analytics library. And it's probably also only US, or at least predominately US.

Battersea Power Station said:
Hey, is there any way to make a direct email shortcut on the desktop? I like to use Gmail as a GTD system, and mail tasks to different addresses to get different labels slapped on them, and am looking for a way to do it quickly. Thanks.
I just made a direct text message link to the email address instead. Works.

New question:

There's no way to separate Gmail Superstars on Android, right?
Suckso. I wish Google would put in some kind of persistent search (Quick Links) functionality in the Android Gmail app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom