• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

rohlfinator said:
$300, eh...

I hope they're planning to keep producing those kits for a while, because I can't justify the purchase right now, but in about a year I'll be all over that. The price seems a little on the high end for my tastes, but I'm glad to see that they went with a better quality manufacturer. $300 is still rather cheap for an electric drum kit; I have a friend that spent $1500 on his.

you have to buy the brain separatedly.. so add that to your cost. Just saying.

And yes, but a lot of people at least on the rockband scorehero forums are shocked at the price, saying is too much for a game controller... so I think they missed the pt.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dirtbag 504 said:
looks like mine charged already.

Damn, more hardcore than me. Considering I'm about a medium-level player and still love guitar the most I will have to PASS. But having the option is very cool.

Argyle

sneaky77 said:

And yes, but a lot of people at least on the rockband scorehero forums are shocked at the price, saying is too much for a game controller... so I think they missed the pt.

Cheapest brain you can get is probably the Alesis TriggerIO - Alesis is selling refurb units for $130 on their site. You'll probably still need a sound synthesis unit, though, but that handles being hooked up to your PC...I am sure there are software drum machines that take MIDI input you can run on your computer for a quick and dirty solution.

Also, you should be able to use the kit with DrumMania! Get that Yamaha UX16 USB to MIDI interface and use that with the DrumRocker and the TriggerIO and you should be good to go on those games too :)

Onemic

sneaky77 said:

It is.

It's an electronic drum kit without a brain, that's probably not even up to the quality of real electronic drumkits. It's priced about $50-$100 too high, especially since you don't even get three cymbals and only two.

I'm buying it anyway

AstroLad said:
Damn, more hardcore than me. Considering I'm about a medium-level player and still love guitar the most I will have to PASS. But having the option is very cool.

I've finally managed to be able to play most songs on hard with the guitar but Enter Sandman is currently my wall.

Onemic

storybook77 said:
I've finally managed to be able to play most songs on hard with the guitar but Enter Sandman is currently my wall.

Took me a good 2 weeks to finish it, then again I'm not really dedicated to playing guitar(As 99% of the time I play drums)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
storybook77 said:
I mostly play drums, and was pretty happy with medium whenever I'd actually play guitar. But over the weekend I went back and played through GH2 and GH3 and LOVED the increased difficulty on medium, which made me realize just how ridiculously easy medium guitar is in RB. So, I moved up to hard, and it's kicking my ass because I just suck at the orange button. I'll get it eventually; just need to practice a LOT more.

Memles

storybook77 said:
I'll get it one day...probably long after RB2 comes out. :lol

Yeah, Enter Sandman is an odd song because something about it just really struck me down, despite being able to do really well on everything around it (And, comparatively, the next tier). Then, on Expert, it was a piece of cake.

Just takes time.

Dirtbag

AstroLad said:

No other game has EVER given me the level of satisfaction that nailing a song on expert drums in rockband has given me. I drummed a bit when I was younger, though no professional lessons... just an old free kit from a family member and some pointers, that I never stayed with. I always wanted to play drums in a band, its like the lightsaber obsession most wii guys have - making this kit basically an auto-buy for me. No regrets. I feel much less guilty about this than numerous other video game purchases. At least on expert its some physical activity... I'd say blackened is a better workout than anything wiifit has to offer.

I don't know whether it's on the final game or it has to be through DLC I would eat dicks out of a bowl to get some Prince songs on Rock Band 2.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I was told I could get it if I "got rid of the other rock band drum set" I tried my hardest to act like I begrudgingly accepted.

sneaky77 said:
True.

I dunno, it's not something that I'm going to preorder today, but it's still very appealing, especially if it reviews well compared to other entry-level kits.

onemic said:
It's an electronic drum kit without a brain, that's probably not even up to the quality of real electronic drumkits. It's priced about $50-$100 too high, especially since you don't even get three cymbals and only two.
When you add in the extra $200-350 for the drum module it starts to look a little less attractive. But the Drum Rocker pads look like they might be more in line with Alesis's $600 kit than their $450 kit, and if that's the case it's not too bad of a deal. Plus, you have to consider that you're basically replacing a $70-80 controller, which adds some value.

For an extremely niche product like this, you have to pay a bit of a premium just for the fact that someone even bothered to make it.

Edit: Damn, you guys with your preorders are making me jealous... :D

Eric Hall

duderon said:
I was salivating. Not really but I did catch myself grinning :D

I'm not complaining, it's going to be an awesome song to play with a full band

It just makes it harder to wait for the game to come out

XShagrath

Watched the GTTV thing three times with the TiVo. Once we did a frame by frame.

New venues - Sooooooo awesome! I love the
castle
and the
B-52
the most.

New animations - look really nice. A lot of new stuff to make it feel even more dynamic.

That new effect - You know which one I'm talking about! So awesome!!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Eric Hall said:
Jesus, Everlong looks tough on drums
What I didn't get was the 16th note high hat rhythm was shown with a bunch of red pads =/

Maybe they had the wrong part of the video synched with the music. The charts did appear to be from everlong though, there where some parts that fit just right.

birdman

scola said:
What I didn't get was the 16th note high hat rhythm was shown with a bunch of red pads =/

Well they do that with a lot of hi hat intensive songs like Run to the Hills. Guess they move it over to make it more "realistic" for that song, even though for the rest of the songs it's on yellow.

XShagrath said:
That new effect - You know which one I'm talking about! So awesome!!

It brings up two points...

1) Will that happen during gameplay (overdrive perhaps?)

2) It would be awesome, perhaps somewhere in the future when RB gets music creation, if they have an option to create a music video. Basically you control the camera, the special effects, etc, and try to make a kick ass video... I mean, if they give you all the control, it could be REALLY bad ass.

Oh, and it must have the obligatory upload to YouTube tech :D

Ten-Song

Iced_Eagle said:

Oh, I didn't even think about that. I just thought it'd be like a new and more detailed effect akin to the ones in the current game. It'd be awesome if overdrive activated it.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Iced_Eagle said:
It brings up two points...

If the gameplay trailer is to actually be believed then that is not the case. It showed a part with nobody in overdrive and it was doing it.

However I also noticed that it did that effect way to much. I really hope that isn't overused as I still love the old look.

AMUSIX

birdman said:
Well they do that with a lot of hi hat intensive songs like Run to the Hills. Guess they move it over to make it more "realistic" for that song, even though for the rest of the songs it's on yellow.
I hate, hate, hate, fucking HATE THIS. Unless there's a way to rechart the song, or to reassign the pads, this bullshit swapping of drum assignments will make the ION pads useless on any song that does it.

Thanks Harmonix for not only continuing the stupidest deciscion in drum charting found in Rock Band but also throwing it front and center for the first trailer.

ok, so it only mildly annoys me as I just play on an easier difficulty on those songs to move the snare back to red

Also, 'that effect' looks cool, but I'm hoping it's not overused, or that it's not too distracting. Already, when too many red lights are used on the stage, I think I'm screwing up.

Saerk

the ion pad uses jacks. You can just move the hi hat to red for songs like RttHs. If you had 3 cymbals you could put them in red (hi hat) yellow (hi hat) and green. Splitters would take care of any overlap.

AMUSIX

Saerk said:
the ion pad uses jacks. You can just move the hi hat to red for songs like RttHs
You'd still wind up with the problem of the snare in a completely different position than usual...unless you also move the yellow pad down...which means you're shifting your set aroudn for individual songs.

Unfortunately Everlong seems to arbitrarily use red or yellow as the snare depending on which part of the song it is.

I really don't mind the Yellow/Blue/Green pads doing double duty as toms and cymbals, but the snare and kick should remain constant.

reading those comments over at gametrailers is.....wow. then I listened to the GT podcast and it all made sense. "GH:WT is the real deal.....rock band 2 is just the same game with more songs and worse graphics!!!" :lol

Defcon

Banned
Everlong looks pretty challenging on drums. As far as the Ion kit goes, I think I'll stick to the regular kit. That's a bit out of my price range for a toy drum.

Argyle

rohlfinator said:
When you add in the extra $200-350 for the drum module it starts to look a little less attractive. But the Drum Rocker pads look like they might be more in line with Alesis's $600 kit than their $450 kit, and if that's the case it's not too bad of a deal. Plus, you have to consider that you're basically replacing a $70-80 controller, which adds some value.

For an extremely niche product like this, you have to pay a bit of a premium just for the fact that someone even bothered to make it.

Edit: Damn, you guys with your preorders are making me jealous... :D

Hell, you probably don't even need the TriggerIO thingy - it's got a USB plug on it already! I'm sure someone will write some software for the PC to use it with a software drum machine - didn't people already do it for the existing kit?

If I were to do it myself I'd write something that would go from analog game controller input to MIDI internally, then you can use any software drum kit (or just output to a real MIDI interface to a hardware synthesizer module) with it...you know it'll happen, probably sooner rather than later.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
BigBlackGamer said:
reading those comments over at gametrailers is.....wow. then I listened to the GT podcast and it all made sense. "GH:WT is the real deal.....rock band 2 is just the same game with more songs and worse graphics!!!" :lol

Explain moar, I refuse to listen to the GT Podcast.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
BigBlackGamer said:
they basically shitted on rock band 2 pretty hard and gave GH WT all the praise. I basically turned it off after that.

Really? Seems a little odd that they'd do that. Was it simply because of the drums and music creator or is there something we don't know yet?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
McBradders said:
Really? Seems a little odd that they'd do that. Was it simply because of the drums and music creator or is there something we don't know yet?

They were really hyping the music creator up.

Ten-Song

BigBlackGamer said:
yep pretty much. drums and music creator. RB2 just seems like a cash in.

I really have no idea how anyone could call Rock Band 2 a cash in and not the new GH, after having been through Guitar Hero's 1, 2, 3, On Tour, Rock's the 80's, and Aerosmith.

sneaky77

PacoDG said:
Is there any price confirmed for GHWT ?

(I know this isn't the thread for that, but im curious. Im buying RB2)

$180 I think or maybe it was $190.
edit:

I just saw the trailer on GTTV, and holy cow does harmonix love those psychodelic drug trip effects... they bug the hell out of me when playing makes it hard to concentrate on the notes.

XShagrath

I figured we'd be getting something big on Monday. Every day is RB2 new info day!

Friday: ION Drum pricing
Saturday: GTTV gameplay footage (The castle!!!!!!)
Sunday: ? I doubt we'll see anything, but I'll be playing RB for 4-5 hours that day, so no biggie.

Monday: !!!

I'm hoping E3 busts out some surprise extra DLC for next week. I'm not saying The Who pack isn't enough, but it seems like something Harmonix might do because they're so awesome.

123rl

RattleHead_ said:
Didn't see this posted yet, if it was just ignore.
http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11429

Latest IGN Gamescoop says HUGE RB2 announcement Monday
Right before the end of the latest IGN Gamescoop Podcast, an editor says "huge Rock Band 2 announcement... Hugemungus"

It better be about a PAL release date or Harmonix can suck one...I'm not paying for any more DLC until I have a PAL release date for Rock Band 2 (after The Who, of course :D)

America doesn't have to worry about this shit - you know you're getting it in September...we're left in limbo waiting. If it's not out before Christmas then I'm not buying it, even though I absolutely love the game. Harmonix and EA are taking the piss with Europe

123rl said:
It better be about a PAL release date or Harmonix can suck one...I'm not paying for any more DLC until I have a PAL release date for Rock Band 2 (after The Who, of course :D)

worldwide simu release for EU and NA. also launching the same day is RB Japan. (but its RB2 with a japanese tracklist)

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom